Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467683 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5390 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16:59 AM »
This is how the album starts: https://youtu.be/1JJuffjeSro

Who hears a touch of DT's New Millennium?

Time stamp? Not listening to a 20 min thing

It's only 40 seconds

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5391 on: November 13, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »

It's only 40 seconds

The link he posted is to the 20 min interview with Bumblefoot :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5392 on: November 13, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
https://youtu.be/485KSA6A_zw

Here is the teaser.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5393 on: November 13, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
That sounds very similar to new millennium

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5394 on: November 13, 2019, 10:23:16 AM »
I think that sounds terrible  :lol And is it just me or are they out of sync?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #5395 on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »
Yeah I thought the same.  I cant believe that is an official teaser.  It sounds horrible....like a keyboardist is working out some ideas for a song.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5396 on: November 13, 2019, 10:35:46 AM »
It doesn't sound much like anything to me, I'm not sure what's terrible about it though, it just doesn't sound like anything to get "teased" about

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #5397 on: November 13, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
It doesn't sound much like anything to me, I'm not sure what's terrible about it though, it just doesn't sound like anything to get "teased" about

Yes I think that is more of what I meant to say.  On its own, like as an isolated keyboard track on a song, it isn't horrible.
Like you I think it is a horrible teaser for an album.  I kept waiting for the rest of the band to join in....but never does.... ???
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5398 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »
Nor does it really lead to anything, like sometimes these teasers are a highlight part of the song or sometimes its the beginning right up to where it gets interesting, ya know, leaving you wanting more.  A tease.  I'm not sure what this does.  Either way, the song will be out soon enough it seems. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5399 on: November 13, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
I mean, as a keyboard riff I thought it was fine.

Didn't make me feel anything good or bad. Just kind of...there. Maybe not the response an artist wants though.

I say that as a musician who mostly gets apathy as the response lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5400 on: November 13, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
Yep, sounds a little like New Millennium, but without the annoying vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5401 on: November 13, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5402 on: November 13, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Haha.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5403 on: November 13, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Seems just an intro, for all we know the song goes completely into a different direction. We'll see.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #5404 on: November 13, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
I thought it sounded pretty good.  At least it made me interested enough to hear the rest of the song.  I guess there is a NM feel?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5405 on: November 13, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »
I guess there is a NM feel?

I wouldn't say there is a "NM feel."  But where people are getting NM is from the fact that the note progression is similar to the chord progression (I say "similar" because I believe it is in a different key) in the heavy, half-time part of the intro just before the vocals kick in (and keeps going underneath the vocals for a bit).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5406 on: November 13, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »
I'll always get a FII vibe, just because Derek's tone is distinctive. At least to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5407 on: November 13, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
So I just realized I never got the Plovdiv blu-ray, as much as the MP talk has been entertaining, does anyone know where I can just get the blu-ray?  It seems amazon only has the CD/Blu-Ray/DVD pack which is just overload.  I only want a blu-ray and don't want to pay for the extras (I absolutely hate when they package a DVD and Blu-ray together, very redundant).  I remember someone shared that walmart sold this but I didn't buy back then since I wasn't going to be home for a bit to receive it.  Now I can't find it, including even in the inside out store. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5408 on: November 13, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
A single star behind me, a red sky burns ahead.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5409 on: November 13, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
If MMXX is just a rewrite of FII then I'd probably actually like it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5410 on: November 13, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »

It's a tricky balance, and I think they need to be very careful in walking that line.  On one hand, if there are subtle callbacks to FII, I generally love that kind of thing and think it can be clever.  But more than a nod or two will definitely feel too much, and feel to me like they are relying too much on Mike's and Derek's connection to a more well-known brand (DT) than on their ability to forge their own identity as a band.  To give an example, when Queensryche did their s/t album after Tate was dismissed and LaTorre took over, there were a coupe of subtle references to their prior work, and I thought that was pretty cool and pretty fitting.  But, at least lyrically, that trend continued on Condition Human, and I felt like it crossed the line and actually detracted.  That line is very different for different people, and I think it's dangerous for them to even approach it, because it may alienate fans who just write them off as relying on their past and not having anything to say musically.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5411 on: November 13, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »

It's only 40 seconds

The link he posted is to the 20 min interview with Bumblefoot :P

LOL... I'm sorry man! I was also sharing the interview with some of my friends and got confused!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5412 on: November 13, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »

It's a tricky balance, and I think they need to be very careful in walking that line.  On one hand, if there are subtle callbacks to FII, I generally love that kind of thing and think it can be clever.  But more than a nod or two will definitely feel too much, and feel to me like they are relying too much on Mike's and Derek's connection to a more well-known brand (DT) than on their ability to forge their own identity as a band.  To give an example, when Queensryche did their s/t album after Tate was dismissed and LaTorre took over, there were a coupe of subtle references to their prior work, and I thought that was pretty cool and pretty fitting.  But, at least lyrically, that trend continued on Condition Human, and I felt like it crossed the line and actually detracted.  That line is very different for different people, and I think it's dangerous for them to even approach it, because it may alienate fans who just write them off as relying on their past and not having anything to say musically.

I don't really get a rewrite or a call back to Falling Into Infinity. It's just Derek's tone and style. It naturally sounds that way. Now if the new SOA record has lyric lines that copy or call back to FII repeatedly, then I'd feel differently. But if their first record didn't have those, I don't think the second one would. What would be the point then, ya know? Unless I missed the call backs on the first SOA record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5413 on: November 13, 2019, 03:15:14 PM »
So I just realized I never got the Plovdiv blu-ray, as much as the MP talk has been entertaining, does anyone know where I can just get the blu-ray?  It seems amazon only has the CD/Blu-Ray/DVD pack which is just overload.  I only want a blu-ray and don't want to pay for the extras (I absolutely hate when they package a DVD and Blu-ray together, very redundant).  I remember someone shared that walmart sold this but I didn't buy back then since I wasn't going to be home for a bit to receive it.  Now I can't find it, including even in the inside out store.

Laser CD. The US outlet for Inside Out.

https://www.lasercd.com/dvd/live-plovdiv-psychotic-symphony-blu-ray
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DTA

« Reply #5414 on: November 13, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »

I don't really get a rewrite or a call back to Falling Into Infinity. It's just Derek's tone and style. It naturally sounds that way. Now if the new SOA record has lyric lines that copy or call back to FII repeatedly, then I'd feel differently. But if their first record didn't have those, I don't think the second one would. What would be the point then, ya know? Unless I missed the call backs on the first SOA record.

I was kidding mainly. I love FII and don't like SoA/Psychotic Symphony, so the only way I'd probably like it is if it was a complete FII ripoff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5415 on: November 13, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »

Laser CD. The US outlet for Inside Out.

https://www.lasercd.com/dvd/live-plovdiv-psychotic-symphony-blu-ray

perfect, thank you.  Ordered that and the Devin Townsend Plovdiv Blu-Ray, only had that one on CD/DVD since I couldn't find the blu-ray last year   :facepalm: now I know better, but I personally find the blu-ray to be totally worth it over the DVD.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #5416 on: November 13, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
I loled

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5417 on: November 13, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »

:lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5418 on: November 13, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »

Maybe this time it'll be actually good. :corn
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5419 on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »

Woah, woah, woah! Simmer down there, sparky.  Falling into Infinity is damn good as is.  :coolio

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #5420 on: November 13, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »

Woah, woah, woah! Simmer down there, sparky.  Falling into Infinity is damn good as is.  :coolio

Well FII is one of those controversial albums.  You either like it or you don't.  Although it seems that more folks on this forum view it more favorably now than they did 10 years ago when I first started lurking.

I for one like it and I think NM is an awesome song.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5421 on: November 14, 2019, 05:20:12 AM »

Well FII is one of those controversial albums.  You either like it or you don't.  Although it seems that more folks on this forum view it more favorably now than they did 10 years ago when I first started lurking.

I for one like it and I think NM is an awesome song.

I like it, but don’t love it, and it’s definitely a bottom 3 album from the DT catalog for me. Still quite good tho.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5422 on: November 14, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »
I feel the same, its bottom tier DT for me but has good songs and isn't a bad album at all.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #5423 on: November 14, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
First tour date Jan 24th 2020
Live album to be released Jan 30th 2020

Yes, I am kidding

Offline bill1971

« Reply #5424 on: November 14, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »

:rollin