Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467979 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5355 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:03 PM »
They were an hour and 45 minutes.  A full headline set.  I expect it to be the same, that's kind of normal for a MP band to play a full show.  It's not like they are touring with a big opening band that commands a long set either. 

If they can, I think it would be good for them to maybe find another band that is a similar draw and do a co-headlining tour.  Out here, they were playing big clubs and small theaters, and having trouble in some markets selling those to capacity.  I think they could sell out those types of venues and possibly even move up to slightly bigger ones if they co-headlined with, say, Queensryche for example (who has been in about the same boat, I believe).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5356 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
I'd love to see SOA booked with a similar act like Queensryche, or even supporting a band like Judas Priest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5357 on: November 07, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »
Yeah, they just need to be smart about gaining exposure.  I don't think they will be able to stick together as a band by having Groupon sell half the tickets to a smallish venue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5358 on: November 07, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Yea, I'm on board with those ideas.  Just get the feeling the band doesn't want to even try going those routes.  Playing to their same fans doesnt gain you new ones. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5359 on: November 07, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »
Yea, I'm on board with those ideas.  Just get the feeling the band doesn't want to even try going those routes.  Playing to their same fans doesnt gain you new ones.
Given that MP and DS are steering the ship on this one, and especially that MP is taking on a role similar to what he did in DT and that he is pretty savvy at this sort of thing, I'm sure he's already thought about that. Perhaps there weren't any offers made to them thus far. Or maybe the offers weren't worthwhile. If they are given a good opportunity to open for a bigger band, I can't imagine them taking it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5360 on: November 07, 2019, 02:39:12 PM »
Great points regarding a package deal of some sort. I know MP tried to get the Galactic Cowboys to tour with them on the first run and they declined. I would have attended if the Cowboys were there. Since they weren't, I passed.

Doesn't help that they keep playing the Arcada either. While I love the venue, the promoter overcharges immensely. That's another factor for me. Paying $40-$80 for a band with only 1 or 2 albums is steep, regardless of the members.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5361 on: November 07, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
From the band's facebook page:

The album title was inspired by a simple chronological fact. “This will be released in mid-January 2020,” says Portnoy. “That means it will be one of the first releases in what is a new decade.

Ummm, if I am not mistaken this decade started on January 1st, 2011 and will end on December 31st, 2020. Correct? So the new decade will start on January 1st, 2021 not 2020 as MP said.

Next you're gonna tell us we're not living in the 20th century!  ::)

:lol

What?

18th century = 1800s, 19th century = 1900s, right? MMXX = new decade, right? Ah forget it.
No.

21st Century = 2000s
20th Century = 1900s
19th Century = 1800s

etc

OMG, so this isn't the 20th century and MMXX isn't a new decade?!

Anyway, yeah I know. Either my initial joke was too subversive or it just wasn't funny. Probably a little of both but more the latter.

Anyway, looking forward to Sons of Apollo's final album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5362 on: November 07, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »
Great points regarding a package deal of some sort. I know MP tried to get the Galactic Cowboys to tour with them on the first run and they declined. I would have attended if the Cowboys were there. Since they weren't, I passed.

Doesn't help that they keep playing the Arcada either. While I love the venue, the promoter overcharges immensely. That's another factor for me. Paying $40-$80 for a band with only 1 or 2 albums is steep, regardless of the members.

Slightly off-topic, but the latter is why I skipped seeing The Winery Dogs in my town. They played a venue that ridiculously overprices everything. I wasn't paying 75 bucks after charges for a seat. Not for The Winery Dogs. They are a club band. 25 or 30 bucks. I don't remember how much SOA's ticket was. I want to say it was $35. But that show was at a different venue. Where SOA played was Live Nation. Where Winery Dogs played it was independent. Which is probably the "why" behind the prices, but still.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5363 on: November 07, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
I kinda like the title "MMXX" but only because it's pronounced "Twenty-twenty" and I think Roman Numerals are cool.

They should get Barbara Walters to host the New Year's Eve on TV this year, then she can say "I'm Barbara Walters and this is 2020"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5364 on: November 07, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »

Slightly off-topic, but the latter is why I skipped seeing The Winery Dogs in my town. They played a venue that ridiculously overprices everything. I wasn't paying 75 bucks after charges for a seat. Not for The Winery Dogs. They are a club band. 25 or 30 bucks. I don't remember how much SOA's ticket was. I want to say it was $35. But that show was at a different venue. Where SOA played was Live Nation. Where Winery Dogs played it was independent. Which is probably the "why" behind the prices, but still.

Exactly. I saw The Winery Dogs on the first leg of the first tour. Tickets were around $25-$30. The second leg, they played The Arcada. Promoter wanted $75. I skipped. I skipped the last tour as well for the same reason.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5365 on: November 07, 2019, 05:12:24 PM »

I saw Winery Dogs for $14.00 in Anaheim thanks to Groupon.  Capacity was 1,700 people.  Saw probably around 500-1000 people show up.  Great show though.  Promoters shouldn't really book shows in LA and Anaheim in the same week for niche bands.  You can really over-saturate a band like that and kill a show's attendance that way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5366 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
^ It's not even niche bands.  I was commenting on Eddie Trunk's site about Kiss's tour, and they've done really well.  They've been over 90% capacity on all but three of their first leg shows, many at 100%, and the first not over 90% was Anaheim at 75%.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5367 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:56 AM »
I kinda like the title "MMXX" but only because it's pronounced "Twenty-twenty" and I think Roman Numerals are cool.
It's not pronounced "Twenty twenty".  It's pronounced "Two thousand twenty".

Just like the number of the beast is not "six six six".  It's "six hundred sixty six".  That's the number.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5368 on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »

Just like the number of the beast is not "six six six".  It's "six hundred sixty six".  That's the number.

From insideout's Facebook page:

Sons Of Apollo--featuring Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Billy Sheehan, and Jeff Scott Soto --are ready to ring in the new decade with a sonic boom with their second studio album, appropriately titled, ‘MMXX’ (pronounced: 20/20).

I get what your saying, but the band seems to want it be called twenty twenty

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5369 on: November 08, 2019, 09:11:20 AM »

Sons Of Apollo--featuring Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Billy Sheehan, and Jeff Scott Soto --are ready to ring in the new decade with a sonic boom with their second studio album, appropriately titled, ‘MMXX’ (pronounced: 20/20).

I get what they want it to be called, but then they went and marked it up with MMXX.  It's wrong, and it's kind of a stupid wrong to be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5370 on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
So now we dictate if an artist is wrong for (purposely) pronouncing the album name differently than what you believe it should be?

Anyways, I'll check it out with low expections. If I'm blown away, great, if the album is just meh, at least I won't be disappointed.

Also, Re: Decades. A decade is a period of 10 years, but in terms of our calendar and how we measure time, the new decade starts on January 1st, 2020, not 2021. Same how the new millenium started on January 1st, 2000, Not 2001. 
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5371 on: November 08, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
Also, Re: Decades. A decade is a period of 10 years, but in terms of our calendar and how we measure time, the new decade starts on January 1st, 2020, not 2021. Same how the new millenium started on January 1st, 2000, Not 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_millennium

In contemporary history, the third millennium of the anno Domini or Common Era in the Gregorian calendar is the current millennium spanning the years 2001 to 3000 (21st to 30th centuries). It differs from the millennium of the 2000s, which spans the years 2000 to 2999.

Even though if you click a bit lower on the decade of the 2000s, it says The 2000s (pronounced "two-thousands") was a decade of the Gregorian calendar that began on January 1, 2000, and ended on December 31, 2009.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5372 on: November 08, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
Anyways, I'll check it out with low expections. If I'm blown away, great, if the album is just meh, at least I won't be disappointed.

I'll be greatly surprised if it's at least a little bit better than the first one, which wasn't too good in my book, but I kept a few songs from it anyway.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5373 on: November 08, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
Let's all be glad that they didn't name it "XXX" like Asia did for an album. Trying to google "Asia XXX" isn't very easy or SFW...

As for the title, it's definitely cheesy in a metal-sort-of-way, but I like it. I'm hopeful that the new material is a bit more ear-catching for me than the first album, which was *fine*, but nothing stood out for me and I haven't really listened to it much since its release.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5374 on: November 08, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »

I get what they want it to be called, but then they went and marked it up with MMXX.  It's wrong, and it's kind of a stupid wrong to be.

I dont understand the logic, it's a form of art and that's their interpretation.  It's kind of cheesy to me, I don't love or hate it though, but its hard to say their artistic expression of a date is wrong even if factually it may be. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5375 on: November 08, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
Let's all be glad that they didn't name it "XXX" like Asia did for an album. Trying to google "Asia XXX" isn't very easy or SFW...
:rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5376 on: November 08, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »

I'm not saying that the number represented by Roman numerals MMXX is prounced "twenty twenty"; I'm saying that the title of the album MMXX is pronounced "twenty twenty" and I like that because I like the sound of it.  That's why I specified that in my above statement.  I know how to pronounce numbers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5377 on: November 08, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »
Hey, for a fun exercise, say the following numbers out loud:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5378 on: November 08, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
 :lol May I remind this forum that we all went ahead and called DT's self-titled DT12! If the band says "yeah, we call it 2020", might as well. This is just easier to google.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5379 on: November 08, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
I dont understand the logic, it's a form of art and that's their interpretation.  It's kind of cheesy to me, I don't love or hate it though, but its hard to say their artistic expression of a date is wrong even if factually it may be.

This.

I'm half in agreement with Hef, though.  I don't understand the reference to the Number Of The Beast (Bruce is CLEARLY singing "six! six! six!" and it's not uncommon for the number of the beast to be phrased as "six, six, six", much like area codes are enunciated in numbers), but if the band wanted it pronounced "20/20" AND they wanted it grammatically correct, they could have written it "20/20", or "XX/XX". 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:32:04 AM by Stadler »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5380 on: November 08, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »

Look, I don't even like the band that much, so there is only so much of a shit I give about this.

But I don't buy the "artistic expression" line.  It's just a mistake.  I am not going to pretend it's not a mistake.  I am not extending the benefit of the doubt.

If they want to name it MMXX because Roman numerals are cool AND pronounce it "Twenty Twenty" then they are wrong about one of those choices.  "Twenty Twenty" in Roman Numerals would XX XX. 

Hey, I haven't been pedantic in a while. 

That is all.

EDIT:  There you go, Stads.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5381 on: November 08, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »

Look, I don't even like the band that much, so there is only so much of a shit I give about this.

But I don't buy the "artistic expression" line.  It's just a mistake.  I am not going to pretend it's not a mistake.  I am not extending the benefit of the doubt.

If they want to name it MMXX because Roman numerals are cool AND pronounce it "Twenty Twenty" then they are wrong about one of those choices.  "Twenty Twenty" in Roman Numerals would XX XX. 

Hey, I haven't been pedantic in a while. 

That is all.

EDIT:  There you go, Stads.

Wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5382 on: November 08, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
MMXX in Roman numerals is exactly equal to 2020 in Arabic numerals, and many people pronounce 2020 as "twenty twenty".  Doesn't matter if it's technically incorrect according to some book or reference, if people pronounce it that way and it is a common interpretation, then it's a valid pronunciation.  Language, especially vernacular, is fluid and dynamic.  I've had the exact same argument thrown at me for being a pedant.

Online Lupton

« Reply #5383 on: November 08, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
If the number is in reference to a year then it makes sense to say "twenty twenty" -- because that's how all years are always verbalized. No one ever says: "I was born in the year one thousand nine hundred and seventy five." Also, it shouldn't make a difference if the number in question is expressed in either roman or numeric numerals.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5384 on: November 08, 2019, 12:18:30 PM »
Yeah.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5385 on: November 08, 2019, 12:46:37 PM »
If the number is in reference to a year then it makes sense to say "twenty twenty" -- because that's how all years are always verbalized. No one ever says: "I was born in the year one thousand nine hundred and seventy five." Also, it shouldn't make a difference if the number in question is expressed in either roman or numeric numerals.

Paul McCartney does.  :)

Online Lupton

« Reply #5386 on: November 08, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »

Paul McCartney does.  :)
LOL Well then, I suppost I stand corrected.  :hat

Didn't Paul also thank the superbowl itself when he did the halftime show? "Thank you superbowl!" Don't know why I think that's so funny.

OK de-railing over, I may actually check this release out if Bumblefoot says they spent more time on the songs.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5387 on: November 13, 2019, 02:37:18 AM »

They should get Barbara Walters to host the New Year's Eve on TV this year, then she can say "I'm Barbara Walters and this is 2020"

Maybe the new album will start with Gilda Radner saying, "This is Babahwa Wawa, and this is twenty twenty" with the band then blasting away.  That might be the only thing to make me take notice of this release.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5388 on: November 13, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
This is how the album starts: https://youtu.be/1JJuffjeSro

Who hears a touch of DT's New Millennium?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5389 on: November 13, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
This is how the album starts: https://youtu.be/1JJuffjeSro

Who hears a touch of DT's New Millennium?

Time stamp? Not listening to a 20 min thing
fanticide.bandcamp.com