Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467546 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5285 on: October 19, 2019, 03:35:07 PM »
He actually came across very pleasant in the interview.
He always came across that in every interview I've read, and some forum encounters here have been positive. Personally I think he's an alright guy who loves shooting shit online a little bit too much! Everything he wrote on this topic was like... beyond juvenile and stupid, and it was the worst promo possible for the album. But it is what it is.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5286 on: October 19, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
I'm 17 minutes into the interview, is pretty good so far but I had to stop because of a comment he made;

"If you are reading it, you are not feeling it" talking in regards to reading or memorizing music to play on stage. Find it funny based on recent comments made here about his stage presence  :lol

He addressed the stage presence thing later in the interview.

BTW I found the message when @Rodrigo step forward to do the interview with Derek 2 years ago.

Almost exactly two years ago it all started!!!! I'll save this image, man. And I found the recording of the first interview with Derek. Such a difference from the interviews I do today in terms of professionalism and flow...

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5287 on: October 19, 2019, 06:13:13 PM »
I'm 17 minutes into the interview, is pretty good so far but I had to stop because of a comment he made;

"If you are reading it, you are not feeling it" talking in regards to reading or memorizing music to play on stage. Find it funny based on recent comments made here about his stage presence  :lol

He addressed the stage presence thing later in the interview.

BTW I found the message when @Rodrigo step forward to do the interview with Derek 2 years ago.

Almost exactly two years ago it all started!!!! I'll save this image, man. And I found the recording of the first interview with Derek. Such a difference from the interviews I do today in terms of professionalism and flow...

Repetition it's the key! And you have done it great!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5288 on: October 19, 2019, 08:27:18 PM »
He even addressed his perceived lack of engagement when he plays live, which I decided to ask him about after seeing some comments here on this topic.

I've commented on that a couple times because man....when I saw them here in St. Louis he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on stage performing. Very curious to see how he explains that.

Yeah, it was the same out here.  I found his demeanor to be odd, honestly.  We got to the venue early to have plenty of time to grab a leisurely dinner and to see if we could maybe catch any of the band members hanging out in back.  Derek was eating at a restaurant directly across the street out on the open patio, which was literally about 50 feet from the front door of the venue.  But despite being right out in the open, he looked like he did not want to be noticed.  He was eating alone, keeping his head down, and when I looked his way a couple of times, he quickly ducked his head.  A little while later, when he was walking across the street to the venue, a fan approached him, and he looked SO offput by having to talk to the guy.  In fairness, I didn't hear anything that was being said.  But his body language conveyed that he would rather be anywhere else.  Then later when they were onstage, he looked bored and disengaged.  The only times he appeared to show any emotion were the couple of exchanges with his tech during the performance where he appeared to be very frustrated and/or angry about something.  I found him to be pretty offputting.

Haven't seen or talked to him in 20 plus years, but when he was at Birch Hill the several times I met him when he took a break from Dream Theater's soundcheck he was happy, friendly, and accommodating.  Something must have happened to him to change that. He certainly didn't appear that way on the Sons Of Apollo DVD either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5289 on: October 19, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
Haven't listened, but based on the conversation I was also getting a Neil Peart vibe. Little to no emotion on stage and shuns public interaction with fans. Neil comes off amazing in interviews but has always made it clear that he has no tolerance for a stranger encroaching on his personal space.

He wasn't always like that.  Could you picture Neil posing for pictures, signing autographs and making small talk after a break from soundcheck? Derek did that with Dream Theater in 1995-96. I wonder what changed him? Years on the road?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5290 on: October 19, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
I got through 75% of the interview so far and you know my opinion on Derek has changed a bit. He actually came across very pleasant in the interview.

He's a nice guy (or was) which is why his behavior in this band has been very confusing (to me anyway.)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5291 on: October 20, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »
The debut from Sons Of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony came out 2 years ago today.  The band have just completed work on the follow up!
What’s your favorite on this album?

Mine? Ehhh, when the music stops!!!

Seriously I couldn’t get into them. I just hope the new album it’s something that I can enjoy

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5292 on: October 20, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
Labyrinth is pretty much the only song I enjoy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5293 on: October 20, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
I find it hard to enjoy what they do, but to each their own.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5294 on: October 20, 2019, 11:39:05 AM »
Alive is probably my favorite, but I like the whole album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5295 on: October 20, 2019, 05:39:13 PM »
God of the Sun maybe, but I really don't listen to the album at all.  I still need to get the blu-ray though

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5296 on: October 20, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
Alive is probably my favorite, but I like the whole album.

Yea. Alive is good.  Especially when Portnoy is all like “I’m coming home”.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5297 on: October 20, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
I think Bumblefoot described the album quite well with "good playing, bad songs" :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5298 on: October 26, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
hmmmm I never got a notification, but youtube recommended my Sons of Apollo video from last year, I clicked play, it worked, I checked, and it seems my videos are back on youtube after they were taken down.  Weird.  But I am happy since I really liked the video, great video and audio quality, plus Jeff's dance moves

Sons of Apollo Live @ Playstation Theater NYC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5299 on: November 02, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »
 I met this dude just before his concert here in Toronto last night...did a great interview with him, and I'm working on the concert review. Both will be published soon. He's the nicest guy ever, and the MVP of Sons of Apollo.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5300 on: November 02, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
Wow that's awesome!  He seems like he would be a really cool dude,  that double neck guitar looks amazing.   :metal
Look forward to reading the interview.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5301 on: November 02, 2019, 05:59:54 PM »
Wow that's awesome!  He seems like he would be a really cool dude,  that double neck guitar looks amazing.   :metal

He was the coolest guy ever...after soundcheck and the interview he just stood there taking pictures and talking to everybody. And he played with the opening acts too!!! The first one was a Rush cover band, and we were privileged to see Bumblefoot playing The Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta and YYZ with them. The interview was kinda short because he was sick, but it was really comprehensive. We spoke about the tour, his clinics, the new Sons of Apollo, a possible solo album, the tour with Asia and his new line of hot sauces.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5302 on: November 02, 2019, 06:08:23 PM »
you had me at "hot sauce"
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5303 on: November 02, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »
you had me at "hot sauce"

One of the flavours is called Bumblefucked, so you kinda know what to expect.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5304 on: November 03, 2019, 03:40:22 AM »

And he played with the opening acts too!!! The first one was a Rush cover band, and we were privileged to see Bumblefoot playing The Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta and YYZ with them.
  :metal  :metal :metal  Oh heck yeah!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5305 on: November 06, 2019, 04:22:03 AM »
From insideout's Facebook page:

Sons Of Apollo--featuring Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Billy Sheehan, and Jeff Scott Soto --are ready to ring in the new decade with a sonic boom with their second studio album, appropriately titled, ‘MMXX’ (pronounced: 20/20).
Produced by The Del Fuvio Brothers (Portnoy and Sherinian), ‘MMXX’ will be released on the 17th January 2020 via InsideOutMusic/Sony as a standard CD package, Limited Edition 2 CD package (which includes instrumental mixes and a cappella excerpts), 2 LP + CD package, and on all digital formats. Pre-orders for all formats will be available starting November 15th, which will include an instant download of the album’s first single, “Goodbye Divinity,” on iTunes and Amazon.
Here’s the track listing for MMXX:
1. Goodbye Divinity (7:16)
2. Wither To Black (4:48)
3. Asphyxiation (5:09)
4. Desolate July (6:11)
5. King Of Delusion (8:49)
6. Fall To Ascend (5:07)
7. Resurrection Day (5:51)
8. New World Today (16:38)
In touring news, the band’s headlining “MMXX World Tour” will launch January 24th in Pomona, CA, USA and will take them around the world throughout the new year. They have also just announced European tour dates for March 2020, and you can find those below:
Europe 2020
Mon 3/2 Drammen, Norway Union Scene
Tue 3/3 Gothenburg, Sweden Traedgarn
Thu 3/5 Kyiv, Ukraine N.A.U Theatre
Sat 3/7 Moscow, Russia RED
Sun 3/8 St Petersburg, Russia Aurora
Tue 3/10 Pratteln, Switzerland Z7
Wed 3/11 Milan, Italy Live Club
Fri 3/13 Bilbao, Spain Santana 27
Sat 3/14 Barcelona, Spain Razzmatazz 2
Sun 3/15 Madrid, Spain La Riviera
Thu 3/19 London, U.K. Islington Assembly Hall
Fri 3/20 Eindhoven, Netherlands Prognosis Festival
Sun 3/22 Show Brno, Czech Republic Sono
Tue 3/24 Kosice, Slovakia Colosseum
Wed 3/25 Budapest, Hungary Barba Negra
North America 2020
Fri 1/24 Pomona, CA The Glass House
Sat 1/25 Los Angeles, CA The Roxy
Sun 1/26 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
Tue 1/28 Salt Lake City, UT The State Room
Wed 1/29 Denver, CO The Oriental Theater
Fri 1/31 St. Charles, IL Arcada Theater
Sat 2/1 Battle Creek, MI The Music Factory
Sun 2/2 Toronto, ONT. Mod Club
Mon 2/3 Montreal QUE. Corona Theater
Wed 2/5 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
Thu 2/6 New York, NY Gramercy Theater
Fri 2/7 Jim Thorpe, PA Penn’s Peak
Sat 2/8 Englewood, NJ Bergen PAC

This album title could not have been less interesting. Let's hope the "sonic boom" is more interesting.
Produced by The Del Fuvio Brothers. You are two grown up men in their 50s and you call yourself The Del Fuvio Brothers. Sure.

Sorry I am hating before anything is released  :lol I just can't deal with the way those guys love themselves  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5306 on: November 06, 2019, 04:26:56 AM »
Nice cover, meh title, interesting song titles. Any possibility it's a concept album? titles might suggest a kind of story.

I dread already the 16 minutes song, I hope it's not verse - chorus  - verse - chorus - 8 minutes of wanking - chorus  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5307 on: November 06, 2019, 05:53:44 AM »
Man, what a meh title. I'll probably check out the album if there will be no trashtalk during the promo cycle. I skipped the first but seeing how they're touring Moscow again, II may go if the album is good and the stars align, mainly to just see Bumblefoot and JSS.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5308 on: November 06, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »
What the hell is "The Del Fuvio Brothers"? They're doing so many side projects I lost track, never heard of that one. :lol

agreed with the bad album title. Eh, last album had some good moments so may just check this out
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5309 on: November 06, 2019, 06:01:27 AM »
The Del Fuvio Brothers dates back from the Falling Into Infinity sessions. MP and Derek (and JP?) called themselves that when they did the backing vocals.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5310 on: November 06, 2019, 06:02:51 AM »
I love the first record and am excited to hear the second.  Bring it on.   :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5311 on: November 06, 2019, 06:10:03 AM »
Don't like the title of the album, the rest looks fine, might catch them on tour if I move close to the Drammen stop by then.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5312 on: November 06, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »
From the band's facebook page:

The album title was inspired by a simple chronological fact. “This will be released in mid-January 2020,” says Portnoy. “That means it will be one of the first releases in what is a new decade.

Ummm, if I am not mistaken this decade started on January 1st, 2011 and will end on December 31st, 2020. Correct? So the new decade will start on January 1st, 2021 not 2020 as MP said.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5313 on: November 06, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »
You're right. Now someone tell Mike  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #5314 on: November 06, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »
I'll buy it but if I don't connect with it, this
will be my last MP purchase.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5315 on: November 06, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »

The album title was inspired by a simple chronological fact. “This will be released in mid-January 2020,” says Portnoy. “That means it will be one of the first releases in what is a new decade.

Ummm, if I am not mistaken this decade started on January 1st, 2011 and will end on December 31st, 2020. Correct? So the new decade will start on January 1st, 2021 not 2020 as MP said.
Oh God...  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5316 on: November 06, 2019, 07:13:54 AM »
What a waste of album title :lol  and I still think they take themelves waaaaaaay too seriously, just look at how they talk about themselves and the band. The song titles are interesting, tho.

I'm intrigued to see if this album is better than the first one, and, while I'm not a fan of this band, I'm looking forward to this one.

I dread already the 16 minutes song, I hope it's not verse - chorus  - verse - chorus - 8 minutes of wanking - chorus  :lol

You just described many of the songs on the first album perfectly :biggrin:

Oh God...  :lol

Being the OCD kind of guy that Mike is, he's gonna be really mad once he finds out :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5317 on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »
I think he means it'll be one of the first releases of the decade known as the 20's.

2020 (MMXX) will be a leap year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2020th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 20th year of the 3rd millennium, the 20th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2020s decade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020

But yes, we've all seen that Seinfeld episode about Newman's millennium party... :lol

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:20:52 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #5318 on: November 06, 2019, 07:23:29 AM »

A decade is just a period of 10 years. You can pick a decade with any start or end date. A new decade started right this second.

Since we call the first year of the current calendar year 1 A.C., then yes technically the decade that started at the beginning of year 1 only ended at the end of year 10. And the decade immediately following that started year 11 and ended year 20, so we could follow that through 21-30, 31-40... 2001-2010, 2011-2020. But there's no reason we're constrained to do that. When people refer to a decade, 90% of the time they refer to the decade that shares a common digit in the 10s (e.g. the '80s). 2000-2009 is a decade just as much as 2001-2010 is a decade, and it happens to be one that's much more easy to refer to as a group and so that's what people do.  The '80s, '90s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s are a much more relevant and useful way to arbitrarily mark the start and end of decades than going back to a quirk of the calendar and following it through 2000 years to mark your decades in ways that are more awkward to describe and don't match what most people are using.

To be honest I sort of lost track of MP's activities and I wasn't sure how quickly there would be a follow up Sons of Apollo album. I never got into the first album much (and the drama around the project made it a bit of a chore to follow) but I liked it some and it at least had potential, so will be cautiously hopeful for this.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5319 on: November 06, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
Looking forward to the new record, 20/20. (The roman numerals are a little pretentious - lol.) Nice to see a big epic in there, a couple of longer tracks, and some standard five minute cuts.

I avoided buying the live album on principle. While I loved the show, I really took issue with JSS changing the words to Just Let Me Breathe and taking a shot at Chris Cornel. It just felt...wrong. So I spoke up with my wallet. Not like they care.  :lol But I'm excited the check out where they've gone for album number two. Hoping they were able to capture a bit of the excitement and energy from the live show and bring it to this album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!