Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468129 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5250 on: October 18, 2019, 07:49:28 AM »
I was optimistic for round 2, and that interview didn't help and the joking part (great playing, bad songs) wasn't the reason.  I could almost envision Ron laughing that off, but everything he said surrounding that statement just makes me feel like we are going to get the same album again which then almost make the joke not really one.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5251 on: October 18, 2019, 08:14:52 AM »
I believe that Ron was truly joking about the general criticism for prog or prog metal in particular... but I also expect that the album will be very similar to first one, which I liked a lot. I was expecting that already, because of the same pattern for album's creation that the band adopted, and much more after the few things about the album that Derek and Ron said. When someone says, "this album is heavier than the first", more often than not, there won't be much modification in style.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5252 on: October 18, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
 Here's my interview with Derek: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/interview-with-sherinian-derek/?fbclid=IwAR2m3H-V8Ryi1wzlMtQj1l25ME8TSdthd7cJhcFk_dnuABMxjmi95FQwSSM

I hope you guys enjoy it, and please share it. There are insights on his tenure with DT, working with Alice Cooper, Kiss, Planet X, Black Country Communion, Sons of Apollo, Malmsteen, Billy Idol etc etc etc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5253 on: October 18, 2019, 09:46:31 AM »
I'm 17 minutes into the interview, is pretty good so far but I had to stop because of a comment he made;

"If you are reading it, you are not feeling it" talking in regards to reading or memorizing music to play on stage. Find it funny based on recent comments made here about his stage presence  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5254 on: October 18, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
Here's my interview with Derek: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/interview-with-sherinian-derek/?fbclid=IwAR2m3H-V8Ryi1wzlMtQj1l25ME8TSdthd7cJhcFk_dnuABMxjmi95FQwSSM

I hope you guys enjoy it, and please share it. There are insights on his tenure with DT, working with Alice Cooper, Kiss, Planet X, Black Country Communion, Sons of Apollo, Malmsteen, Billy Idol etc etc etc.

Had the chance to listen to the interview a couple of days ago, a very good job Rodrigo!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5255 on: October 18, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »
I'm 17 minutes into the interview, is pretty good so far but I had to stop because of a comment he made;

"If you are reading it, you are not feeling it" talking in regards to reading or memorizing music to play on stage. Find it funny based on recent comments made here about his stage presence  :lol

He addressed the stage presence thing later in the interview.

BTW I found the message when @Rodrigo step forward to do the interview with Derek 2 years ago.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5256 on: October 18, 2019, 10:33:31 AM »
Great interview.  Given all of the complaining about Derek on these forums, I figured he'd come off like a pompous guy.  But he was very personable in the interview - it was fun to hear him talk about the musicians he's worked with as a real a fan of them all.  He could easily just sit and brag, but he really showed that he was happy and excited about those opportunities.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5257 on: October 18, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
Yeah, from what I had heard about him through the years and in his days of posting here, he always came across the way you describe, Grapp.  I'm not sure why the difference.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5258 on: October 18, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
For a long, long time I thought Derek was playing it tongue-in-cheek, 100% the arrogant asshole rock star, but it's 100% understood that he's just playing.  It's rock and roll, none of it's real anyway, blah blah blah.  I've always loved "Making history... and you?"

Then on the ramp up to SoA, he either pushed it too far, or started taking himself too seriously, or something, because I started thinking "Wait... he actually is an arrogant asshole rock star? The joke is serious? What is real anymore? What should I have for dinner?"

Now I don't even know what to think.  Still love his playing, though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5259 on: October 18, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »
Now I don't even know what to think. 

Pizza is always a good choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5260 on: October 18, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
Great interview, Rodrigo, you're very prepared, objective and fluid, and makes really good questions!
Derek is really nice on this interview... about his stage presence I also see him like a compenetrated musician - since his days in DT - like, let's say, Neil Peart. I never had the feeling of them being disconnected or bored at all. Maybe they are a bit of shy people after all.
But it kinda suprised me he saying (not paraphasing him, from what I understood) that he likes better being more perfect in his performance than be "a show man". Because his rock'n'roll background, I thought he would say otherwise.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5261 on: October 18, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »
I only started listening but its interesting and he definitely comes off well from what I heard.  Haven't gotten to the juicy parts about his appearance but Im honestly not sure anything he says will change the way I felt when I met him at the progpower meet and greet, especially the way everyone else in that band came off when meeting them, including MP.

I've become a big Bumblefoot and JSS fan since SOA formed because of how they perform on stage but also the way they treated me when I met them. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5262 on: October 18, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
Now I don't even know what to think. 

Pizza is always a good choice.

Normally yeah, but Mrs. Orbert and I are on a diet (again).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5263 on: October 18, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
Haven't listened, but based on the conversation I was also getting a Neil Peart vibe. Little to no emotion on stage and shuns public interaction with fans. Neil comes off amazing in interviews but has always made it clear that he has no tolerance for a stranger encroaching on his personal space.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5264 on: October 18, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
Haven't listened, but based on the conversation I was also getting a Neil Peart vibe. Little to no emotion on stage and shuns public interaction with fans. Neil comes off amazing in interviews but has always made it clear that he has no tolerance for a stranger encroaching on his personal space.

I saw them here in Toronto, and Derek got me the ticket for the afterparty. I met Sheehan and spoke with him, spoke a lot more with Bumblefoot (and it helped that I had also interviewed him). Soto didn't come for the afterparty, and I met Mike as he was getting on the bus. Derek was there, but he has family in Toronto and looked like he wanted to spend time with them, so I didn't want to push my luck - it was already surreal to be there, and I just didn't want to bother him.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5265 on: October 18, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
Derek was there, but he has family in Toronto and looked like he wanted to spend time with them, so I didn't want to push my luck - it was already surreal to be there, and I just didn't want to bother him.
Meanwhile, Derek: "thought this guy was cooler than your average journo, so I hooked him up with afterparty tix, and then the damn dude shows up and doesn't even talk to me! what the hell!"  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5266 on: October 18, 2019, 03:15:09 PM »
Derek was there, but he has family in Toronto and looked like he wanted to spend time with them, so I didn't want to push my luck - it was already surreal to be there, and I just didn't want to bother him.
Meanwhile, Derek: "thought this guy was cooler than your average journo, so I hooked him up with afterparty tix, and then the damn dude shows up and doesn't even talk to me! what the hell!"  :lol

I'm cool alright. The Caligula of journalists!!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5267 on: October 18, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5269 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
Where is Derek in that scene?  I know that is Stef Burns with the guitar, and I believe Pete Friesen sitting next to him.  It's hard to tell, but when Wayne and Garth step forward about about the :25 mark and the camera quickly pans to follow them, I think that's Jimmy DeGrasso on the couch to the left of Garth (Garth's right) with the glass in his hand, but hard to tell because it is so quick.  But I can't find Derek.  (and if that wasn't Jimmy, I can't find him either)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5270 on: October 18, 2019, 05:31:44 PM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5271 on: October 18, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5272 on: October 18, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »
Where is Derek in that scene?  I know that is Stef Burns with the guitar, and I believe Pete Friesen sitting next to him.  It's hard to tell, but when Wayne and Garth step forward about about the :25 mark and the camera quickly pans to follow them, I think that's Jimmy DeGrasso on the couch to the left of Garth (Garth's right) with the glass in his hand, but hard to tell because it is so quick.  But I can't find Derek.  (and if that wasn't Jimmy, I can't find him either)

That's Derek on the couch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5273 on: October 18, 2019, 06:03:43 PM »
TAC, he has long hair on the video.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5274 on: October 18, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
Yea I remember watching that scene only a few years ago and did a double take on Derek (I never noticed him in my younger years watching as I didnt know who he was then).  It was like a huge revelation.  Also I did listen to that part in the interview which was awesome to bring up since its such a cool little tidbit to be in that amazing scene.  WERE NOT WORTHY!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5275 on: October 18, 2019, 06:06:24 PM »
TAC, he has long hair on the video.

I know! I saw the tour twice! ;D

At the 24 second mark, that's Derek siting on the couch with a raised glass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5276 on: October 18, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
Here's some great footage from their In Concert '91 TV appearance. Includes Vinnie Moore and Eric Singer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_xZc0LeJc

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5277 on: October 18, 2019, 06:21:50 PM »
he looks the exact same still  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5278 on: October 18, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
Damn, that's a monster tone he played over the phone in the interview. Thanks Rodrigo!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5279 on: October 18, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »
Damn, that's a monster tone he played over the phone in the interview. Thanks Rodrigo!

Thank YOU for listening!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5280 on: October 18, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5281 on: October 18, 2019, 07:58:15 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5282 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5283 on: October 18, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
 :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5284 on: October 18, 2019, 09:57:28 PM »
I got through 75% of the interview so far and you know my opinion on Derek has changed a bit. He actually came across very pleasant in the interview.