Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466637 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5216 on: October 12, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »
Derek:  "Can't wait for you to hear this!!!"

Really, dude?  Then maybe try looking like you are enjoying yourself when you play it, unlike the last tour.  And maybe be a bit polite and amicable to your fans in a way that actually shows some enthusiasm for what you are doing and who is paying you to do it.  Just a suggestion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5217 on: October 12, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »

Really, dude?  Then maybe try looking like you are enjoying yourself when you play it, unlike the last tour.  And maybe be a bit polite and amicable to your fans in a way that actually shows some enthusiasm for what you are doing and who is paying you to do it.  Just a suggestion.
maybe he meant (meant!) something along the lines of: "We like what we've done and I'm sure you will too." Or something to that effect (I can't know. I don't understand humans.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5218 on: October 12, 2019, 03:59:02 PM »

Ooof but spot on  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5219 on: October 12, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »

Ooof but spot on  :lol
Spot on? Most definitely. Oof? No, not at all. I wouldn't be that mild mannered I think.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5220 on: October 12, 2019, 06:37:53 PM »
Can't wait for the next SOA album.

I didn't like PS or anything, but maybe after the second album, we'll have enough good SOA songs to make one decent album's worth. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5221 on: October 12, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »

I have never seen someone look more unhappy to be on stage than Derek, he looks more miserable than I do going into work on a Monday after spending a weekend binge drinking.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5222 on: October 12, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »

I have never seen someone look more unhappy to be on stage than Derek, he looks more miserable than I do going into work on a Monday after spending a weekend binge drinking.

Which is weird because in the promotional videos in the lead up to their debut he was totally enthused. It was actually somewhat infectious and got me excited.

Does he just have terrible mood swings or what?

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #5223 on: October 12, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »

...after your boss tells you to put away that pickmeupper at 9am

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5224 on: October 12, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »
They already mastered it? Did they write and record this in a week or did time just fly by for me?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5225 on: October 12, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »
They already mastered it? Did they write and record this in a week or did time just fly by for me?

Looking at their website, their News page has FB and Twitter feeds to their posts, and it looks like Mike recorded his drums way back in mid-January of this year, so they've been working on it for the last 9-10 months.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5226 on: October 12, 2019, 11:00:41 PM »
Hopefully this longer writing period results in stronger songs. Would like to hear an unrestrained Soto and less wankery/noodling in the songs.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5227 on: October 13, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
MP just posted an IG story in a "secret" location, where SOA it's shooting video and photo shooting for the upcoming album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5228 on: October 13, 2019, 11:42:44 PM »
The secret location is in Glendale lmao
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #5229 on: October 15, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »
From the Blabbermouth article...

"SONS OF APOLLO will embark on a tour of North America in early 2020. Support on the trek, which will kick off on January 24 in Pomona, California, will be provided by guitarist Tony MacAlpine, who previously played alongside Sherinian in PLANET X and with Portnoy, Sherinian and Sheehan in PSMS."

This will be really cool.

On the new release, I'm curious as to what is in store.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5230 on: October 15, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
I'll probably buy the release.  I don't expect that I will see them this tour, unless a show ends up being extremely cheap and convenient.  Judging from last tour, they put on a pretty good show.  But I don't expect things to be drastically different in that regard, and although I appreciate McAlpine's musicianship, I have zero desire to see him live.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5231 on: October 15, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »
If they came to Long Island, I’d go. But they won’t, and I’m not going to the city for them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5232 on: October 15, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
If they came to Long Island, I’d go. But they won’t, and I’m not going to the city for them.

The Paramount in Huntington wouldn't be a bad venue to see them.  I'd drive down for that.  Maybe. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5233 on: October 15, 2019, 06:02:13 PM »
So if the tour starts in January, does that give us any clues on the release date of SOA2?

I mean, surely they wouldn't start the tour before the album drops, right? & I also don't think they're gonna be bold enough to release it during December (because christmas & all). Does that mean we can expect it in November? That's a lot sooner than I thought initially...
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5234 on: October 15, 2019, 06:55:07 PM »
I read somewhere that the new album will be out by the end of January or early February. I think MP mentioned that a while back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5235 on: October 16, 2019, 02:39:04 PM »
Seeing as my concert schedule is almost empty for 2019, I'm almost definitely going to that NJ or NYC show because I will be itching to see a concert and they are great live.  I do hope the album is already out though so I can digest it before the show. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5236 on: October 16, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
The album comes out in January. Derek approached me today, he wanted to do a career spanning interview to celebrate 30 years of him joining the Alice Cooper band. We spoke for almost 50 minutes about almost every band and artist he's worked with. He said the new SOA will be heavier, and that it comes out in January. I won't tell you guys more because I want you to listen to the interview, but it was great! He even addressed his perceived lack of engagement when he plays live, which I decided to ask him about after seeing some comments here on this topic. I'll post it here when it's published!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5237 on: October 16, 2019, 06:57:03 PM »
That I am actually looking forward to checking out

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5238 on: October 16, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »
The album comes out in January. Derek approached me today, he wanted to do a career spanning interview to celebrate 30 years of him joining the Alice Cooper band. We spoke for almost 50 minutes about almost every band and artist he's worked with. He said the new SOA will be heavier, and that it comes out in January. I won't tell you guys more because I want you to listen to the interview, but it was great! He even addressed his perceived lack of engagement when he plays live, which I decided to ask him about after seeing some comments here on this topic. I'll post it here when it's published!

Awesome! looking forward to your interview with Derek. I'm a big DS fan!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5239 on: October 16, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
Heavier is a good thing.   :metal

Looking forward to the interview and the new album. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5240 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:55 PM »
Did he address why he likes to act so childish and inmature?

:corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5241 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:12 AM »
Did he address why he likes to act so childish and inmature?

Man, I know you're joking, but he was really cool during the interview, and even played a little bit.

:corn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5242 on: October 17, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
That's pretty cool that he approached you Rodrigo, I'll have to check it out

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5243 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
That's pretty cool that he approached you Rodrigo, I'll have to check it out

Thanks! He gave some insight on his time with DT as well, so I think it'll be interesting for everyone on the forum. That was a kickass interview, man!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5244 on: October 17, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
He even addressed his perceived lack of engagement when he plays live, which I decided to ask him about after seeing some comments here on this topic.

I've commented on that a couple times because man....when I saw them here in St. Louis he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on stage performing. Very curious to see how he explains that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5245 on: October 17, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »
He even addressed his perceived lack of engagement when he plays live, which I decided to ask him about after seeing some comments here on this topic.

I've commented on that a couple times because man....when I saw them here in St. Louis he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on stage performing. Very curious to see how he explains that.

Yeah, it was the same out here.  I found his demeanor to be odd, honestly.  We got to the venue early to have plenty of time to grab a leisurely dinner and to see if we could maybe catch any of the band members hanging out in back.  Derek was eating at a restaurant directly across the street out on the open patio, which was literally about 50 feet from the front door of the venue.  But despite being right out in the open, he looked like he did not want to be noticed.  He was eating alone, keeping his head down, and when I looked his way a couple of times, he quickly ducked his head.  A little while later, when he was walking across the street to the venue, a fan approached him, and he looked SO offput by having to talk to the guy.  In fairness, I didn't hear anything that was being said.  But his body language conveyed that he would rather be anywhere else.  Then later when they were onstage, he looked bored and disengaged.  The only times he appeared to show any emotion were the couple of exchanges with his tech during the performance where he appeared to be very frustrated and/or angry about something.  I found him to be pretty offputting.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5246 on: October 17, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
I think him carrying himself like that is detractor to the live performance. I've seen a few shows with bands that didn't seem interested in being there and I get it, everyone is human but it can really negatively impact a performance for me

This isn't a direct comparisons but I saw barenaked ladies on tour a few years ago and the lead singer looked and sounded incredibly sick but he stuck it out and made a bunch of jokes about getting the flu. Quite frankly he sucked that night but the fact he was seemingly making an effort despite very clearly not wanting to be stil made for a good show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5247 on: October 17, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
To be fair, it has to be tough for the King of Keys to be playing in front of such small crowds.

:P :P

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5248 on: October 18, 2019, 07:11:08 AM »
A little information about the new album by Ron:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/bumblefoot_shares_update_on_new_sons_of_apollo_album.html
The joke about “great playing, bad songs” :D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5249 on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:39 AM »
A little information about the new album by Ron:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/bumblefoot_shares_update_on_new_sons_of_apollo_album.html
The joke about “great playing, bad songs” :D

I don't know him well enough to say what he was actually thinking, but some of the things he said there could easily be taken in various ways...