Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468318 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5145 on: September 02, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »
I thought the live versions would have a little punch. I couldn't get halfway through God Of The Sun. Just awful.

Jeff Scott Soto really brings nothing. I'm shocked at how generic he sounds. I realize Marching Out was 35 years ago, but that is a Top 5 or 6 all time vocal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5146 on: September 02, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »
MP being very cool! :tup
MP doing things like this is always extremely cool!
MP does a really good job on Comfortably Numb indeed (and I'm not much a fan of his vocals). The images of the show are simple and beautiful.
I totally dig the footage's style and the performance, both are a bit raw and have a "for real" feeling that I appreciate very much! I would say the same for the rest of the album (only audio, my BD didn't arrive yet).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5147 on: September 02, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
They should have cut some of those audience shots. Some of the peeps in the stands look downright bored!

Also, I know it's apples and oranges, but as this is dropping around the same time as the new Flying Colors, my tastes drastically line up with SoA more than FC. I don't care much for either, but I could see owning and enjoying this release. I can't listen to more than 2 minutes of FC.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5148 on: September 03, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
Those two clips weren't bad.  Not overwhelming, but pretty good.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5149 on: September 03, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »
I bet they're going to be down now since Blabbermouth reported about Dream On.

For me, I don't really care about hearing the covers. But I do like watching them, especially with the orchestra.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5150 on: September 03, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
The Van Halen song is on the DVD? I undestood that these 3 songs were out.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5151 on: September 03, 2019, 09:48:41 AM »
Cancelled the Amazon pre-order since it was delayed until at least September 9th.  I have the digital download for the music...ordered just the Blu-ray from Laser's Edge.  Also tacked on a few other blu-ray's/DVD's, because, why not?"   :metal

Very cool of Mike to share the videos that were cut from the official release despite not having the rights to the performance.  I'm looking forward to watching the concert.  Love the audio so far, but I agree with TAC that it could use some more punch.  Oh well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5152 on: September 03, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »
  Love the audio so far, but I agree with TAC that it could use some more punch.  Oh well.

It's the song though. My hope was that live, the songs would come across a little better. Nope..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

« Reply #5153 on: September 03, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »
Yeah, this live album is boring. I don't think a second album is going to happen.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5154 on: September 03, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
Yeah, this live album is boring. I don't think a second album is going to happen.

I have bad news for you, bud.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5155 on: September 03, 2019, 11:20:00 AM »

The second studio album and tour will happen. Whether hey continue after that or not, we'll see, things aren't looking too bright for them after that imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5156 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
The Van Halen song is on the DVD? I undestood that these 3 songs were out.

I thought so too but maybe they got it figured out.

The second studio album and tour will happen. Whether hey continue after that or not, we'll see, things aren't looking too bright for them after that imo.

Yeah, my money is on no third album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5157 on: September 03, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
Yeah, my money is on no third album.

Until Flying Colors' Third Degree was announced, I was worried that none of MP's post-DT bands would ever reach a third full-length studio LP!  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #5158 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »

Yeah the second album is done and will be released sometime in 2020 but nobody really knows what this band's lifespan will be..
The band is still growing and we haven't seen nothing as far as the music directions they'll go..
MP is doing a great job recapitulating the band's success with releasing a well performed and documented live of their work so far..
So time will tell..

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5159 on: September 05, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
After listening to a chunk of the live album, I've decided that the 2nd album is either going to be amazing or it's going to be very disappointing. I hope it's amazing. I want me some more Bumblefoot letting loose.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5160 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
They should have cut some of those audience shots. Some of the peeps in the stands look downright bored!

I don't get a "bored" vibe at all.  They aren't very physically demonstrative, but that doesn't mean they are bored.  There seems to be about the same level of interest as when Devin Townsend filmed there, and I wouldn't say that crowd looked bored either.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZq7xzCKd0
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5161 on: September 05, 2019, 06:46:31 PM »
Watching the DVD now.

It's better than I thought, but the main word I can use is...........boring.

It's just boring. I'm on Kashmir right now, and this is one of the most boring lifeless versions of Kashmir I've heard.

I keep skipping their original songs because of how boring it all sounds.

Real shame, I was hoping the live atmosphere would change how I think of the songs. But nope, just like the album, I'm bored with it.

Wow, The Show Must Go On...............that was really bad. I love that song with a passion, but jesus. No.

Watching the orchestra, they might be as bored as I am. I feel like they spend most of the time either just sitting there or doing long held out notes.

Also what's with the editing? There's been a number of shots of people not playing what I'm hearing. I doubt it's an overdub issue, just seems like shoddy video editing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:02:18 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5162 on: September 06, 2019, 03:59:59 AM »
Watching the DVD now.

It's just boring. I'm on Kashmir right now, and this is one of the most boring lifeless versions of Kashmir I've heard.

Real shame, I was hoping the live atmosphere would change how I think of the songs. But nope, just like the album, I'm bored with it.

Wow, The Show Must Go On...............that was really bad. I love that song with a passion, but jesus. No.

Watching the orchestra, they might be as bored as I am. I feel like they spend most of the time either just sitting there or doing long held out notes.

Also what's with the editing? There's been a number of shots of people not playing what I'm hearing. I doubt it's an overdub issue, just seems like shoddy video editing.
yes it was IMHO (says a lifelong Queen fan)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5163 on: September 06, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »

I felt it was a bit stale with no energy. I don't think it was necessarily boring, but it lacked the energy of live recordings.

Offline Art

« Reply #5164 on: September 06, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »
Watching the DVD now.

Agreed, especially about The Show Must Go On, Soto butchered it  :sad:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5165 on: September 06, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
Finally got the album yesterday after seriously considering just canceling the damn delayed order. But I'm a completist and would probably end up buying it later, possibly for an inflated price, so I held out. To summarize my opinion up to this point, I REALLY wanted to like this band. The roll out was so clumbsy (Mike getting mad at fans for correctly guessing who was in the band), Derek was being a dick, they claimed they were the new kings of prog and then ended up making a strait forward metal album with some proggy elements, 50% of their songs not being very good and then the other 50% frustratingly good to great, and it very quickly seemed like they all lost interest in the band, possibly due to the problems of booking them in decent venues and lackluster sales.

Needless to say I wasn't too excited for the live album and the people here that already saw it gave it generally poor revues, so perhaps it's a good thing my expectations were so low because I actually really am digging this.

Granted, I think overall the covers are unnecessary and the orchestra can't be heard well over Derek that is just doubling the strings, but if I just took this release at face value or had no expectations and didn't know all the baggage, I'd be pretty pumped to learn more about this band.

First thing was watching the show I was reminded about how much fun I had seeing them. Jeff sounded decent for the first part and thankfully I shut it off to go for a walk and listen to it on headphones. The second part you could tell he was struggling but in my headphone mix he sounded much better. Coming through TV speakers he sounded kinda bad. Laptop speakers were even worse. But with my headphones cranked, I was really digging it. 

The fact that he was struggling *almost* made me like it more. You could tell he was putting everything he had into it. On the other hand, him struggling strained his voice more and he couldn't hit some relatively easy notes later in the show. It also reminds me about how Mike was so critical of James who, disregarding the occasional off night, is much more consistent with the high notes than Jeff is.

I was surprised to see all the bonus features on the DVD too, then just as surprised to realize they were all things that had been released in promotion for the album. I enjoyed them and Derek's enthusiasm but then just as quickly was sick of him when he threw out the slams on ipads and gadgets and whatever. The one new feature was the behind the scenes documentary of the show. This seemed like it was just thrown together and pretty underwhelming.

Oh yeah, there was a TV appearance in Bulgaria that Mike and Jeff were on. There was a translator that went between them and the Bulgarian host and you couldn't understand a damn thing because they were talking over each other for 20 minutes. Still cool but needed subtitles or something.

Sadly, it seems a lot of people don't share my opinion and also that the band doesn't seem to care much about promoting this aside from the occasional tweet or Mike (illegally) sharing the two numbers cut from the DVD. It just seems like the ol' "Hey let's get excited for this next release!" and then once it's out, they feel like moving on which is about par for them.

I doubt I'll listen to this much but for now I'm digging it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5166 on: September 07, 2019, 06:42:35 AM »
 Madman...JLB MORE consistent than Jeff Scott Soto? What did I miss, man? I can't think of a more inconsistent singer than James!

I think the attitude and a few statements of the band members set an impossible standard for DT fans - especially Derek. It's almost like some of us are determined to examine and over-analyze every minutiae of SOA just to be critical. But to each his own. I love the live album. JSS does seem to struggle on a few tracks, but pulls all of them off. He sings them on his own voice and doesn't try to mimic the original singer's voice. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5167 on: September 07, 2019, 07:57:52 AM »
Madman...JLB MORE consistent than Jeff Scott Soto? What did I miss, man? I can't think of a more inconsistent singer than James!

I think the attitude and a few statements of the band members set an impossible standard for DT fans - especially Derek. It's almost like some of us are determined to examine and over-analyze every minutiae of SOA just to be critical. But to each his own. I love the live album. JSS does seem to struggle on a few tracks, but pulls all of them off. He sings them on his own voice and doesn't try to mimic the original singer's voice.

I don't think that's a result of Derek's tweeting, though.  That's kind of par for the course. 

I just think that ultimately, the cream rises to the top, and there are too many things to overlook with SOA.  My opinion only, but I see it as a pattern for many (not all) of the post-DT Portnoy projects.   DT was uncompromising - and after FII, famously so - and other than the Neal Morse/Neal Morse Band material, I don't get that sense anymore.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5168 on: September 07, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
Fans were put off by the bravado and the taunting Derek did promoting the album.

That my take on it. I still bought the CD and the new Blu Ray/cd.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5169 on: September 07, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »

With the high notes, yes, James is way more consistent. Even in God of the Sun during the slow part that starts, "Through the silence of the night" Jeff never attempts the awesome melody that ends with "You faaaaaaaalllllll...." which isn't exactly "high" but it is higher and hard for him to achieve in a live setting.

It is more apparent in the cover songs where Jeff really struggles but to me, sounds kind of good with the rawness.

I don't see how that is in anyway controversial. It seems like a pretty reasonable assessment.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5170 on: September 07, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
People who have heard JSS with other projects, he seemed to be having an off night on the DVD? Is that true or is that par for the course for his live performances?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5171 on: September 07, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
I mean, I'm not too familiar with him but he sounded on par from other SoA shows. I actually just bought a couple of Yngwie CDs that are coming in the mail today so I can check out his other work. He's in his fifties now so some slack should be given.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5172 on: September 07, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
Watching the DVD now.

That's unfortunate since JSS is doing a Queen tribute set at next year's ProgPower

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5173 on: September 07, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
Watching the DVD now.

That's unfortunate since JSS is doing a Queen tribute set at next year's ProgPower

On the positive side, judging from skimming through the audio album, I like his Prophet's Song solo and performance of Save Me. I agree The Show Must Go On is a bit wonky. But I don't really like that song if I am honest, even with Mercury himself.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5174 on: September 07, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »
There are many adjectives I'd use for James Labrie, but consistent is the last one I'd think of when it comes to his voice. And I do still love him.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5175 on: September 07, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
There are many adjectives I'd use for James Labrie, but consistent is the last one I'd think of when it comes to his voice. And I do still love him.

Ok

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5176 on: September 07, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »

I dunno. I'd use that word if in conjunction with 'iffy live performance'.

Or in conjunction with 'inconsistent'. Probably a slightly better way of putting it :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:47:08 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5177 on: September 07, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
I still hold my opinion that Soto sounds like a poor man's Russell Allen. A similar tone/approach, but without the range and power.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5178 on: September 08, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
MP being very cool! :tup
MP doing things like this is always extremely cool!
MP does a really good job on Comfortably Numb indeed (and I'm not much a fan of his vocals). The images of the show are simple and beautiful.
I totally dig the footage's style and the performance, both are a bit raw and have a "for real" feeling that I appreciate very much! I would say the same for the rest of the album (only audio, my BD didn't arrive yet).

That's right. He didn't have to do that.

I did like Comfortably Numb and I'm glad it's on the CD but for me Dream On is no great loss. Probably don't need to see or hear that one again.

My copy arrived but I haven't opened it yet for a listen. I'm hoping I get more mileage out of it than the studio album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5179 on: September 08, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »

I don't get a "bored" vibe at all.  They aren't very physically demonstrative, but that doesn't mean they are bored.  There seems to be about the same level of interest as when Devin Townsend filmed there, and I wouldn't say that crowd looked bored either.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZq7xzCKd0

Based on those two clips, I'd say the orchestra was the most inspired group on that stage and I'm not sure why it comes across like that to me.