Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468158 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5110 on: August 30, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
 :lol I've seen those claims here plenty of times and don't deny them, my ears don't notice unless I really try. I know others have more sensitive ears and that stuff bothers them though, I get it, I'd rather them not loop the crowd noises and fake it.  If it's not there, it's not there. 

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #5111 on: August 30, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
Live at Luna Park is borderline infuriating to me because of this. I can't un-hear the crowd loop anymore whenever I pull that album out, which unfortunately isn't very often for me. Seems like a stupid reason to not listen to it I know, but it just interferes with my overall enjoyment of that album.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5112 on: August 30, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
^^ Nahhh, it's not a stupid reason to not listen to Live at Luna Park.  You think for a show in South America, I would expect the crowd there to be almost as ampted as Rush in Rio or Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio, and I feel like that didn't happen there and if it did, it wasn't as well mixed.   I did feel like the crowd was better mixed in Breaking the Fourth Wall (which apparently, I hear around here that they also added some post-production effects to that as well?).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:18:03 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5113 on: August 30, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »
LALP simply is not a good live album. It literally sounds like the entire thing was done in the studio with a crowd dubbed in. BTFW might actually be worse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5114 on: August 30, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
LALP simply is not a good live album. It literally sounds like the entire thing was done in the studio with a crowd dubbed in. BTFW might actually be worse.

Gotta agree with this. I like the production values of the two but maaan they don't feel live at all
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5115 on: August 30, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
The boot to the BTFW show is awesome.

Like James not remembering Erin's name, and thanking the "Boston" college of music. :facepalm: :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5116 on: August 30, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
No one should ever thank a Boston anything. :P

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5117 on: August 30, 2019, 08:37:54 PM »
Unless it's Tom Scholz..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5118 on: August 31, 2019, 12:39:55 AM »

Gotta agree with this. I like the production values of the two but maaan they don't feel live at all
the notes are good though, that's what matters to me and so I listen to both of them regularly
Back to the topic at hand: I like how the live recording preserves some of the dynamics IMHO (which is not a given nowadays) and I'm sure that the guys had a good time that evening. (in that nothing is ever sounding "forced" in any way, in case you see what I mean) One thing I absolutely didn't take to kindly at all was The Show Must Go On. There only was one Freddie.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:15:22 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5119 on: August 31, 2019, 06:37:18 AM »

Good point. :tup :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #5120 on: August 31, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
I listened to the first track on Google Play Music and the recording sounds very muted, does anyone know if that is how the sound quality is for the blu-ray as well? I mean I don't care about audience noise or lack thereof and if it's piped in or not. I pay more attention to the instruments and if they are mixed in well.

I imagine the bluray to have more depth and meat in the audio track.
I can't find any technical details on the streams, does anyone have the bluray and care to chime in?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5121 on: August 31, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »

Or Robert Gordon Orr......

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5122 on: August 31, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »
Almost wondering if I should get the CD and DVD separately. I don't think I need an art book from this band. The level of interest just isn't there.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5123 on: August 31, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
Almost wondering if I should get the CD and DVD separately. I don't think I need an art book from this band. The level of interest just isn't there.
I'd say yes go get the CD/DVD version, because it features the entire show on the CDs. (in case you want to listen to the entire show that is)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5124 on: August 31, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »
I'd say yes go get the CD/DVD version, because it features the entire show on the CDs. (in case you want to listen to the entire show that is)

Losing the covers (especially those covers) doesn't really bother me like it might to some others.

I just want something basic to hear and watch as the mood strikes.  Have to assume it's better than the studio album which I've not pulled off of the shelf in almost a year.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5125 on: August 31, 2019, 12:24:15 PM »

Losing the covers (especially those covers) doesn't really bother me like it might to some others.

I just want something basic to hear and watch as the mood strikes.  Have to assume it's better than the studio album which I've not pulled off of the shelf in almost a year.
I like to think it is better than the studio album (by quite a considerable margin if I may say so myself, having only listened to the studio album once. The live album is a lot more "vibrant", if that word is a good descriptor)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5126 on: September 01, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
Not had chance to watch the full thing yet with any great volume but I played the covers on the blu Ray. I liked what I heard but the guitar and vocals are mixed a bit low for me.

I’m a fan of the album so quite looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5127 on: September 01, 2019, 11:20:20 AM »
Not had chance to watch the full thing yet with any great volume but I played the covers on the blu Ray. I liked what I heard but the guitar and vocals are mixed a bit low for me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5128 on: September 01, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself

I'm also sure he will. What about Sons of Apollo though?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:29:58 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5129 on: September 02, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »
Delivery delayed another week. My friend didn't preorder and new orders are saying they will be shipped in one month. What the hell is going on?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5130 on: September 02, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
Delivery delayed another week. My friend didn't preorder and new orders are saying they will be shipped in one month. What the hell is going on?

Isn't that the modus operandi for Amazon these days?  I don't bother with ordering music from them any more since it doesn't seem to be a priority.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5131 on: September 02, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »

Isn't that the modus operandi for Amazon these days?  I don't bother with ordering music from them any more since it doesn't seem to be a priority.

I remember when I'd order things on Amazon and it would arrive a day or 2 before the release date.

Those were good times.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5132 on: September 02, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »
Amazon and Inside Out seem to have issues. I pre-order lots of music from Amazon and I routinely run into issues with Inside Out pre-orders. Not sure what the deal is with that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5133 on: September 02, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
Amazon said delivery would by Sep 29th. Walmart said Sep 5th.

Walmart it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5134 on: September 02, 2019, 11:59:22 AM »

I remember when I'd order things on Amazon and it would arrive a day or 2 before the release date.

Those were good times.
very much so, and this is why I don't order my records with them anymore. I prefer Highresaudio.de (it's the German equivalent to HDtracks)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5135 on: September 02, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »
Amazon said delivery would by Sep 29th. Walmart said Sep 5th.

Walmart it is.

hmm I see walmart sells the blu-ray only as well.  Might be getting mine there, but I'll hold off until after my travels the next couple weeks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5136 on: September 02, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
FROM MP FB page

I hope you are all now enjoying the brand new Sons Of Apollo Live release “Live With The Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony”
As you may have noticed, there are 2 cover songs that are on the CDs that we weren’t allowed to include on the Blu-ray or DVD because the label could not secure the video synch liscenses from the original bands. 😔

I’m sharing these 2 tracks for you to enjoy while you can…
I encourage you all to copy, save and share just in case “the powers that BLEED” eventually take it down...
Enjoy! 😎

Dream On:
https://youtu.be/jUzjilTxdzk

Comfortably Numb:
https://youtu.be/FwrXiM6590s

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5137 on: September 02, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
That's awesome, I'll watch them later.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5138 on: September 02, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »
MP being very cool! :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5139 on: September 02, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »
That's awesome, I'll watch them later.

I just downloaded them before YT blocks/remove them (It's a possibilty)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5140 on: September 02, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »
Watched Dream On.

It was okay. Jeff did okay.  The band played it as close to identical as possible, minus some drum fills, which I’m never a fan of.

Also another example of a pointless orchestra/choir.

But hey, based on what I’ve seen, might be the easiest pay day for them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5141 on: September 02, 2019, 05:07:37 PM »
Just watched Comfortably Numb. Here's something I never, ever thought I would say in my lifetime: Mike's vocals were better than those of the lead singer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5142 on: September 02, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »
Dream On is actually pretty good. Even though JSS sounds like he's straining, the song suited his voice, like his gritty high "Dream On".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5143 on: September 02, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »

Yeah, last three new release I bought from there were all delayed. 2 were Inside Out, one was Frontier Records.

On the flip side, when I ordered the new Sacred Reich from indiemerch, it came 4 days early.

Just watched Comfortably Numb. Here's something I never, ever thought I would say in my lifetime: Mike's vocals were better than those of the lead singer.

You noticed that too? A little suspect to me, though. I suspect dubbing. He has never sounded that smooth live.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #5144 on: September 02, 2019, 07:53:15 PM »
This thread encouraged me to go back and listen to the debut again. My recollection was it was "OK but not Dream Theater".

So...yikes. This is awful. Some decent parts in God of the Sun. Solid, though, generic, chorus in Labyrinth. But as an album this is unlistenable for me. Just bland, disjointed songwriting with nothing to lift it up.

Dream Theater with a different singer would be better than this but it's scary that Portnoy wanted to replace James with a more powerful, lower voice.