Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467666 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5040 on: August 19, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
I've seen some good bands sounding really bad at Gramercy because the sound is just that bad in the venue. Is not surprising its run by the same people that run Irving Plaza (Another poorly managed venue). I try to avoid those as much as I can.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5041 on: August 19, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »
I've seen some good bands sounding really bad at Gramercy because the sound is just that bad in the venue. Is not surprising its run by the same people that run Irving Plaza (Another poorly managed venue). I try to avoid those as much as I can.

I last saw Alestorm and Gloryhammer at Gramercy a year ago, awesome show but way too small for that show.  Sold out and you couldn't move.  It was probably a fire hazard.  Very uncomfortable although that show was a lot of fun.  Irving isn't much better just bigger.  I dont recall sound issues but being a small place, the sound isn't going to be that great generally, compared to a proper theater.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5042 on: August 19, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
I'll very likely be at the Gramercy show.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5043 on: August 19, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
I may see them IF there is a new album and they do some later dates/locations that are more convenient.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5044 on: August 19, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
I may see them IF there is a new album and they do some later dates/locations that are more convenient.

I believe the new album is slated for a January 2020 release, hence this short tour.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: August 19, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
I'd go if he was coming through town but no NC dates.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5046 on: August 19, 2019, 09:13:22 PM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5047 on: August 19, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
Well that’s an awful sign.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5048 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
But I thought they were the new kings of Prog? Put Dream Theater out of business....

Edit: I'm joking with the above comment, even if they are comments that Derek has made (not the putting DT out of business, but he's kind of alluded to it). I do feel bad for JSS, Bumblefoot, and Sheehan and to a degree Mike if it doesn't work out here in America. They're all really likable guys and I wish the best for them. At the end of the day, I don't understand why it isn't clicking here, because I don't think it has to do with Derek and his horrible promotion techniques. I thought they'd find some sort of foundation here...every other MP project has to a degree. Why not this one?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:55:28 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5049 on: August 19, 2019, 11:52:29 PM »
Well that’s an awful sign.

Yeah. Actually surprised how blunt he is. Despite the claims that he is an open book, he certainly is more calculated and closed off than he (and others) admits. Usually, he isn't *this* open.

I think I remember a bunch of people predicting that there would not be more than two albums.

It seems that may very well be true.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5050 on: August 20, 2019, 05:24:50 AM »
As much as I think Derek is an asshat and dislike him I'm still bummed for the other three.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5051 on: August 20, 2019, 06:15:52 AM »
Let's see, Bumblefoot is in Asia now, JSS has a new Queen tribute thing as well as his own band, MP even is forming another band now... no one probably wants to work with DS.  The writing is on the wall here.

Also, last US tour how many of us went to shows in half full or less venues?  They played PLaystation Theater in NYC last year, 2.1k capactity (although it was closed in the back, so maybe 1.5k for that show capacity, 1/3 filled maybe.) This time around Gramercy Theater is only 500 capacity.  They probably do need to sell well to continue to make this work.  That's the same venue that Mike plays with all the rest of his bands so I don't think playing there alone should stop the band, but they probably do need to show to promoters they can get 500 in NYC to show up.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5052 on: August 20, 2019, 06:34:37 AM »
Let's see, Bumblefoot is in Asia now, JSS has a new Queen tribute thing as well as his own band, MP even is forming another band now... no one probably wants to work with DS.  The writing is on the wall here.

Maybe.  I mean, that's entirely possible IMO, but also could just be how things worked out.  No one is "just" in a band anymore these days.  You're in a band, plus you have your solo stuff, plus you're in this other project that gets together every couple of years, plus...

So maybe they'd all rather do anything except something with Derek, but it sounds like MP just being blunt.  SoA can't fill venues in the U.S.  And if they can't, promoters won't touch them and there won't be any more U.S. tours.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5053 on: August 20, 2019, 06:37:24 AM »
They aren't even trying to acquire fans outside "the circle" though.  Tony Mac? Great, I wonder how many in the audience already know him well. They need support that will bring a different crowd in, not the same circle of fans that see these closely related artists.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5054 on: August 20, 2019, 06:57:55 AM »
They aren't even trying to acquire fans outside "the circle" though.  Tony Mac? Great, I wonder how many in the audience already know him well. They need support that will bring a different crowd in, not the same circle of fans that see these closely related artists.

I wonder if they just can't get any better.  They need to be the main act with low paid support.  Personally, I think they should be taking every opportunity to tour and even open for bigger bands, even bands outside the prog genre.  You are sooo correct that they aren't going to win fans over by playing to the same crowds.  Personally, I think what would work the best for them is to get onto one of those huge summer tours as the opener, like they might be able to win over people who would NEVER hear of them opening for Alice Cooper and Halestorm instead of Motionless in White, or how about be the 4th band in the Breaking Benjamin/Chevelle/Three Days Grace tour (I think the 4th band was Dorothy).  Yea that music isn't exactly the same, but you get exposure and opportunity.  I can guarantee that Bumblefoot would win over those crowds. Like That's how younger bands get exposure, but...

No one is "just" in a band anymore these days.  You're in a band, plus you have your solo stuff, plus you're in this other project that gets together every couple of years

That makes it incredibly difficult to focus on one band and have them grow. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5055 on: August 20, 2019, 07:08:56 AM »
Totally agree, cram. And I get it, prog metal is not an easy sell, and it's probably not easy for them to swallow their pride at their ages and open for other bands, but that's what you gotta do when you make a new band, even a supergroup.

I really do think they should have waited on the blu-ray; they shot their load before they had a load to shoot. Two albums would have been the perfect amount of material for a Blu-ray but they couldn't wait for some reason.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5056 on: August 20, 2019, 07:11:36 AM »
Totally agree, cram. And I get it, prog metal is not an easy sell, and it's probably not easy for them to swallow their pride at their ages and open for other bands, but that's what you gotta do when you make a new band, even a supergroup.

I really do think they should have waited on the blu-ray; they shot their load before they had a load to shoot. Two albums would have been the perfect amount of material for a Blu-ray but they couldn't wait for some reason.

Seems like they might have been worried they wouldn't get the opportunity again.  If the album flops and tour bombs, the DVD would never happen. 

Also, SOA aren't that proggy to be the hard sell to a metal/hard rock audience IMO.  I think they'd do really well because of how good and impressive they are as performers.  I truly think they could win over rock, not prog, fans if they put themselves in front of them. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5057 on: August 20, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »

Seems like they might have been worried they wouldn't get the opportunity again.  If the album flops and tour bombs, the DVD would never happen. 

Also, SOA aren't that proggy to be the hard sell to a metal/hard rock audience IMO.  I think they'd do really well because of how good and impressive they are as performers.  I truly think they could win over rock, not prog, fans if they put themselves in front of them.

I think they could, but I think it's a hard sell. Aging rock stars playing niche prog-ish rock/metal is such a specific taste. It really doesn't help that it seems like MP caters basically just to the MP crowd these days with the new stuff that comes out - probably spreads himself too thin and can't worry too much about reaching out - and he plays the same venues to boot.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5058 on: August 20, 2019, 07:30:51 AM »

DS does a lot of session work. There's a few rumors out there about a Planet X reunion and also possibly some Black Country Communion. I do think SoA will continue after this album and only tour the US in the major markets like the ones in this short January run. SoA will probably tour Europe for at least a month and that's where the money is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5059 on: August 20, 2019, 07:33:40 AM »
I just see people sooo impressed sometimes by music at shows I go to that well, isnt that impressive as SOA in terms of musicianship and showmanship, I think people would be surprised with them coming out being an unknown doing a 6 song set with like:

God of the Sun
Signs of the Time
Divine Addiction
Alive
Lines in the Sand
Coming Home

They'd leave with more new fans than headlining Gramercy Theater to people who already know them.

DS does a lot of session work. There's a few rumors out there about a Planet X reunion and also possibly some Black Country Communion. I do think SoA will continue after this album and only tour the US in the major markets like the ones in this short January run. SoA will probably tour Europe for at least a month and that's where the money is.

My comment was mostly a joke, I'm sure he's got work but I just have no interest in following him so I am not up to date with his work.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5060 on: August 20, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
Yeah, the musicianship is there, but are the songs? I would say no. The songs aren't bad, but for me they were all just kind of there.  The singer not having an engaging voice prevented them from having vocal hooks for me.  And there is so much music nowadays, and easy access to most of it, that you really have to stand out in some way to make a dent, and I just don't see where this band can make that dent.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5061 on: August 20, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »

You can tell the fanbase isn't very big when Mike is suggesting people travel to multiple cities to see them

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5062 on: August 20, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
Man I love MP, and I appreciate his engagement with fans but sometimes he just needs to stay shut and not say a thing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5063 on: August 20, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »
Personally, I think they should be taking every opportunity to tour and even open for bigger bands, even bands outside the prog genre. 

I was going to write this very thing.  Put them on the Maiden tour or something similar (like Rival Sons did with Sabbath).   Or team up with another act (like Def Leppard and Journey, Def Leppard and Kiss, Def Leppard and...).   

I think the "formula" is starting to be tapped out. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5064 on: August 20, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Mike saying what he said.  I mean, it is 100% accurate.  And music fans who have any knowledge about how touring works would understand that reality.  But I think it's still one of those things that you just don't say out loud, you know?  It's one thing for a hungry young band to try to whip up a loyal, rabid fanbase and try to get them to come to every single show.  But for a band that, unfortunately is just one of many bands out there (and I don't mean that to be a shot at them at all), with an older fanbase, I think those kinds of comments are actually a turnoff. 

Maybe I'm just not the "typical" fan.  But speaking for myself, here's how I feel about seeing them:  I really enjoyed the first album, to the point that I still spin it fairly regularly.  I don't really have ANYTHING negative to say about any of it.  And notwithstanding some of the juvenile stage banter, I thought they put on a great show, and I enjoyed seeing them live as well.  That being said, as I mentioned above, I do not feel any strong desire to see them again unless (1) they are bringing something new to the table (i.e. new music) AND (2) it is convenient and affordable.  I'm not traveling an hour or two to see them.  I'm just not.  There are a few bands that I would do that for, and as much as I enjoyed the first SOA album, they don't make the cut. 

That being said, if as was suggested above, they got booked to a tour with another band I was interested in, that might change things.  Even if Band A might not get me to travel, and Band B also might not get me to travel, a show with Band A + Band B might do it because that's a better value for my time. 

Again, not sure how many others feel similarly, but that is where I am.  I wish these guys the best.  But for me personally, if their continued success depends on me personally giving them more time and money than I am presently inclined to give them, then all I can say is: Sorry, guys; I guess I'm just not as big a fan of this project as you would like me to be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5065 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
Ya know what would work well?  When Avenged Sevenfold release their new album and tour, if they had tour support from SOA (even as third on the bill).  I don't know what MP's relationship with those guys is like anymore, but I think for some bands to get picked up on those tours, they need to have good relationships.  Last summer Pop Evil opened for Poison and Cheap Trick.  I had never heard of them, they are a newer hard rock band so not old school like the others, yet they opened.  And guess what, the singer of Pop Evil comes out for the encore to sing with Poison.  Seems like him and Bret Michaels are buddy buddy.  That's what it takes sometimes too. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5066 on: August 20, 2019, 08:33:18 AM »
I agree with all that.  Hard to say whether that isn't something they are will to do, or whether the opportunity just hasn't presented itself.  But I agree that, at least one the surface, that seems like the smartest move.  But who knows?  Maybe they looked into it (and maybe still are), and for various reasons, nothing materialized.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5067 on: August 20, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »
Bosk, you can at least donate to their kickstarter for their covers EP next fall

Offline emtee

« Reply #5068 on: August 20, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »
Sounds like a make or break scenario for them.

But you know MP, he already has another band lined up
in the cue. Thrash metal.

It's kind of a bummer for me since I was such a huge
fan of his for so many years. Nowadays I just can't
seem to connect with any of his projects in the same
way I did when he was in DT.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5069 on: August 20, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
That comes off as desperate. All MP had to was keep shut and let the tickets at least sell for a couple months.

If they were coming here then I would go because they're good live. Too big stage set up for one venue, and not known enough to sell the next bigger venue.

To me it feels as though all of MP's projects are beginning to clash.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5070 on: August 20, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

You can tell the fanbase isn't very big when Mike is suggesting people travel to multiple cities to see them

Maybe he should change the setlist from city to city  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5071 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »
Didn't they do a run on very small venues when the first album came out and then had another leg with many more shows later in the year?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5072 on: August 20, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
Didn't they do a run on very small venues when the first album came out and then had another leg with many more shows later in the year?

Yes

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5073 on: August 20, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
I have an opinion on SOA that may be an odd one: The DT pieces they play on the live album are played a lot more powerfully than DT played them 22 years ago
(I listened here: https://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produkte/tontraeger/cd/3cd-digi/sons-of-apollo-live-with-the-plovdiv-psychotic-symphony.html )
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5074 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
I'm not so sure on LITS.  But I agree on Just Let Me Breathe (although the version on LSFNY definitely isn't bad by any stretch).