Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468011 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5005 on: August 09, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
Personally, if it's a solo show, I don't count them as covers. Just if they're doing it as part of another band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5006 on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:39 PM »
Eh, it's blurry, but I have to call these covers.

If MP was touring as himself, I wouldn't call them covers. But he's touring as Sons of Apollo. That makes them doing other bands' songs covers. Even if two of them contributed to those songs to some degree.

If they covered Guns n Roses songs, it'd be covers, even though Bumblebee was in GnR and helped write one of the albums (I think).

He helped write precisely zero songs with GNR and had minimal performance contributions on the one album he appears on. Added some guitar here and there and strangely replaced Buckethead's solos on 2 of the 3 tracks Buckethead cowrote, but Buckethead's solos on the songs he didn't cowrite are largely in tact.

So, if SoA plays songs off of Chinese Democracy are those covers? What about the one or two that Bumblefoot actually got to solo on?

Spoiler: Yes, totally covers.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5007 on: August 10, 2019, 04:05:36 AM »
I do remember being a bit peeved when I saw Three Days Grace earlier this year with their most recent singer and when they were about to play a song that Adam Gontier sang, their new singer was like "we created this song 10-15 years ago when blah blah blah."  No, the other three guys took part in creating those hit songs.  You didn't.

I understand the little annoyance, but in cases like these I can forgive the singer, they're a band, while playing live he's a spokeperson for the rest of the band, and the "band" as an "entity" wrote those song. No singer is gonna remark in an awkard way that they weren't part of the band.

Should James have pointed out in the Images and Words and Beyond tour that Mangini and Rudess weren't there for the album? we all know it anyway. I remember seeing Nightwish on their "Decades" tour, an excuse to celebrate 20 years and counting as a band, should have Floor Jensen said "Wow, these guys have been around since 1997.... nevermind me, I just came along for the last album"?

Again, I understand not liking when it happens..... but I totally understand why a current incarnation of the band is, well, the band and "we" is being used instead of "three out of five of us".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5008 on: August 10, 2019, 06:52:22 PM »

Same here.

As someone who wasn't much of fan of the first album, I couldn't talk myself into traveling 20 miles to see them when they came here.

:P :P

That's where I'm at except it was 50 miles for me. Seeing it live would be better than the album (As would a live recording.)

I expected my enjoyment level for that show would be better than A-Mob, but not as good as Winery Dogs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5009 on: August 12, 2019, 07:13:23 AM »
Funny thing, by coincidence, I was listening to Deep Purple live in Long Beach in 1976 (the Coverdale/Bolin/Hughes incarnation) and David introduced "Smoke..." by describing it as a song from an album we did in Montreaux...  and for some reason it sort of bugged me.

But as to the bigger picture, at least as far as Setlist.fm goes, I think I'm right here.  It's less about the deep fan and their intimate knowledge, as it is a more strictly formal database for those that don't have band art tattooed on their pectorals.  I know for me, when I went in and put in all my concerts, there were bands in the '80's that I had not remembered I saw, or didn't even know who they were, and it was helpful to have factually specific references to the songs.   A good example was the Dead; the band did a fair number of songs from both Garcia's and Weir's early to mid-70's solo records.   In both cases, the material was written largely by the same writers (Garcia/Hunter and Weir/Barlow) and several of the Dead members played on the records.  They were like Tom Petty solo records in that it was the Dead but Jerry/Bob got to call all the shots with no band democracy in play. 

If you buy the box sets of Dead albums, or any of the compilations, those Garcia/Weir songs are most often NOT included (side bar, they were done with other record companies as a way of generating cash for other Dead endeavors).   By ANY of the standards set out here, they should NOT be covers, but I value the clarity in order to become more familiar with the source material.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5010 on: August 12, 2019, 09:18:52 AM »
But... but...

what if Porcupine Tree get back together, and they play a song off of Raven That Refused to Sing
??? ???
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5011 on: August 12, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »
The Neal Morse Band playing Neal Morse songs....

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5012 on: August 12, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
The Neal Morse Band playing Neal Morse songs....

But changing the name from Neal Morse to Neal Morse Band was just a gimmick...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5013 on: August 16, 2019, 04:41:07 AM »
Back to the actual topic now: The second live preview piece has been released (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-sjqU86Ho&list=OLAK5uy_lhv_fXmOtZbWUWg7w-Vwv8akIQCMQeZ1A) and it's Labyrinth (with the string section)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #5014 on: August 16, 2019, 05:40:11 AM »
That's only the audio. This is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcG-6cNwRF8&feature=youtu.be
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5015 on: August 16, 2019, 06:02:45 AM »
That's only the audio. This is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcG-6cNwRF8&feature=youtu.be
I know, I just wanted to post it already for those select few among us (myself not included, I'm neutral) who might not have wanted to wait :D. Anyway, may all these enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:11:02 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5016 on: August 16, 2019, 07:37:53 AM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5017 on: August 16, 2019, 08:29:11 AM »
Yea that didn’t do much for me.

1. Orchestra was as close to pointless as you can get. If I didn’t physically see them (more often than not just sitting there) I wouldn’t know they were present.

2. Weird camera choices. Band is doing some cool? Show JSS dancing!

3 band sounds good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5018 on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »
@Adami

Some of the editing reminded me of the Steve Harris effect in the Iron Maiden DVDs: changing shots every 3-5 seconds. If MP directed the film, I would be very surprised on why he would use this short shot thing. Also agree on your orchestra comment: feels unnecessary.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5019 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Yea that didn’t do much for me.

1. Orchestra was as close to pointless as you can get. If I didn’t physically see them (more often than not just sitting there) I wouldn’t know they were present.

2. Weird camera choices. Band is doing some cool? Show JSS dancing!

3 band sounds good.

I agree with all 3
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5020 on: August 16, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
Yeah, the band sounds great, that stated I'm having the same issues like in Breaking the Fourth Wall where if they brought out strings musicians and the likes, it's hard for me to find any distinction between them and the keyboardist.  Also, I don't think the crowd was mic'ed up when JSS wanted the crowd to go "whoa, oh oh!"  Either that, or they were a dead crowd.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5021 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »

Yea, this is true.  And definitely reminds me of DT's issues with using the orchestra.  I don't understand how this happens unless the whole thing is just a gimmick.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5022 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
I think it comes down to finding a way that they can utilize an orchestra for things that a keyboardist couldn't pull off when it comes to strings sounds in the background.

When I saw Lindsey Stirling, last year, co-headline with Evanescence, they had an orchestra backing them the entire tour, it was really hard for me to piece the orchestra in the background since Lindsey plays the violin and she has a keyboardist as part of the back-up band.  On the opposite side of the spectrum, I can hear the orchestra during Evanescence's set, but I couldn't hear the guitars at all and whilst it was a solid performance, it was pretty darn dull where everyone, including the guitarists, was sitting and not really playing off or interacting with the crowd.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5023 on: August 16, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
The band was pretty good, JSS doesn't sound as bad he did in the trailer.

What's up with DSS, does he always look that disinterested?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5024 on: August 16, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »

yes

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5025 on: August 16, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »
It's a rockstar thing, us normal folk wouldn't and shouldn't try to understand it. I'm gonna go back to flipping burgers now...
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5026 on: August 19, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
On SoA Facebook:
SONS OF APOLLO - MMXX North American Tour Dates
w Special Guest Tony MacAlpine:

• Fri Jan 24th - Pomona, CA - The Glass House
https://bit.ly/2H8kNxY

• Sat Jan 25th - Los Angeles, CA - The Roxy
https://bit.ly/2H8aLNb

• Sun Jan 26th - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
https://bit.ly/31FYAPj

• Tues Jan 28th - Salt Lake City, UT - The State Room
https://bit.ly/31D8P7e

• Wed Jan 29th - Denver, CO - The Oriental Theater
https://bit.ly/2Z5QC4s

• Fri Jan 31st - St Charles, IL - Arcada Theater
https://bit.ly/2TCz0bj

• Sat Feb 1st - Battle Creek, MI - The Music Factory
https://bit.ly/31IwXVQ

• Sun Feb 2nd - Toronto, ON - Mod Club
https://bit.ly/2Z8OuJ8

• Mon Feb 3rd - Montreal, QC - Corona Theater
https://bit.ly/2KF9eyU

• Wed Feb 5th - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
https://bit.ly/2N2rMMx

• Thurs Feb 6th - New York, NY - Gramercy Theater
https://livemu.sc/2YUUoi2

• Fri Feb 7th - Jim Thorpe, PA - Penn’s Peak
https://bit.ly/30bEjRo

• Sat Feb 8th - Englewood, NJ - Bergen Performing Arts Center
https://bit.ly/31MKyM7

Tix On Sale: Wednesday August 21st @ 12PM LOCAL TIME
(Except NJ Show which is NOW AVAILABLE)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5027 on: August 19, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
They'll be in LA the week after NAMM... Interesting. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5028 on: August 19, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
Is Mike incapable of booking a different venue in Illinois? WTF? Every time he comes through regardless of band it's always the Arcada in St. Charles. And it's on my birthday too lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5029 on: August 19, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »
Is Mike incapable of booking a different venue in Illinois? WTF? Every time he comes through regardless of band it's always the Arcada in St. Charles. And it's on my birthday too lol

It's to accommodate me. It's nice only having to drive 30 minutes for a show.  ;D

That, and it's probably the nicest venue he can get for his current bands. He seems to have really struck up a relationship with Ron. The downside is the prices that Ron loves to charge.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5030 on: August 19, 2019, 12:14:44 PM »
Gramercy Theater sucks but I guess is worth going.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5031 on: August 19, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
Never heard of that NJ venue, but a saturday night and it's actually close to where I work.  I think I'd rather go to Gramercy but that's a Thursday so maybe I'll just do that Saturday show.  Either way, I don't expect it to sell out so I'll decide closer to February which show I'll go to.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5032 on: August 19, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
I don't know which is closer to me.  LA or Pomona.  Ok, I just did a quick check.  Pomona is closer.  On a Friday as well.  I'll think it over.  I did like Portnoy and Sheehan when Winery Dogs came to Anaheim, which is the city next door to where I live, last May.  Don't know if I want to go much further for SOA.  I will think about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5033 on: August 19, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
Unless Cram can convince me to meet him in the City, that's looking like a hard pass from me unless/until more dates are added.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5034 on: August 19, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
I'm gonna go just to get Forest Whitaker-eye hammered and give Derek the stinkeye all night
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5035 on: August 19, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »

I'm gonna go just to get Forest Whitaker-eye hammered and give Derek the stinkeye all night

:lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5036 on: August 19, 2019, 12:59:10 PM »

Unless Cram can convince me to meet him in the City, that's looking like a hard pass from me unless/until more dates are added.

Let me know if it's still an option come January, I would like to see them and hope to catch one of the two local shows, but it's not a concert I am throwing down money on yet and planning out.  Also, I hope the new album is already out by then, that might play a role as well.  Hell if it were released and I loved it, I could see myself doing both shows.  But it's all wait and see for me.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5037 on: August 19, 2019, 01:00:02 PM »
Never heard of that NJ venue, but a saturday night and it's actually close to where I work.  I think I'd rather go to Gramercy but that's a Thursday so maybe I'll just do that Saturday show.  Either way, I don't expect it to sell out so I'll decide closer to February which show I'll go to.

I just looked it up and it looks better than Gramercy and it's a shorter commute (25 minutes driving instead of 40 minutes on the train). I think I might go to that one but will deff wait out to buy the ticket.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5038 on: August 19, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »

I just looked it up and it looks better than Gramercy and it's a shorter commute (25 minutes driving instead of 40 minutes on the train). I think I might go to that one but will deff wait out to buy the ticket.

I don't think I like either venue (Bergen PAC from the pictures, Gramercy from experience) but I feel like I'd enjoy the smaller GA vibe from the Gramercy than a seated small theater. That's just me though. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5039 on: August 19, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »

Let me know if it's still an option come January, I would like to see them and hope to catch one of the two local shows, but it's not a concert I am throwing down money on yet and planning out.  Also, I hope the new album is already out by then, that might play a role as well.  Hell if it were released and I loved it, I could see myself doing both shows.  But it's all wait and see for me.

That's a perfect plan; by the way, rather see that show in a GA club than a seated theater too.