Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467491 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4935 on: August 05, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
They're working on it

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4936 on: August 05, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »
January is being floated around as the release timeframe. Drums are already tracked since MP did this way early this year.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4941 on: August 07, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
I'd be down for this! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4942 on: August 07, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
Why is it so difficult for rock stars to aknowledge that the preview THEY put out it's mixed so f*cking bad?

I really don't get it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4943 on: August 07, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »
https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/overkill-ex-machine-head-ex-dream-theater-members-team-up-for-new-band

Might be old news, sorry.

It was rumored, I've got no interest in this.

No interest in a band that's a mix of Overkill meets Machine Head meets Dream Theater meets Winery Dogs meets Flying Colors meets Transatlantic meets Sons of Apollo meets Neal Morse Band meets Metal Allegiance meets Adrenaline Mob? ???

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4944 on: August 07, 2019, 10:20:13 PM »
No interest in a band that's a mix of Overkill meets Machine Head meets Dream Theater meets Winery Dogs meets Flying Colors meets Transatlantic meets Sons of Apollo meets Neal Morse Band meets Metal Allegiance meets Adrenaline Mob? ???

Their new album will probably feature songs that are the equivalent of Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, Bohemian Rhapsody, Thriller, Hey Jude, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Gangnam Style, the Happy Birthday song, and Baby Shark.   
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4945 on: August 08, 2019, 01:02:32 AM »

Their new album will probably feature songs that are the equivalent of Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, Bohemian Rhapsody, Thriller, Hey Jude, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Gangnam Style, the Happy Birthday song, and Baby Shark.   

Yes, but all in one album!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4946 on: August 08, 2019, 08:29:28 AM »
That's great, but the album will be incomplete without a 2020 equivalent of mother f'ing Psychosane.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4947 on: August 08, 2019, 09:13:35 AM »
I think that post would probably be more applicable in the MP thread.  But anyhow...

Listening to an advance copy of the Plovdiv show, it confirms what I already knew:  These guys put on a solid live show.  The songs are good and the performance is energetic and, as I said, solid.  If you like the songs and can get past the immature, frat-boy stage banter, you won't be disappointed by this.  I know I'll be buying it when it comes out.  The latter point will unfortunately limit the amount of listens I give it.  But I expected that.

I'll also add that I think JSS sounds good.  Is he perfect?  Nope.  But this is a rock show, not a studio recording.  I don't expect him to sound pristine.  He sounds like a good rock front man having a good time doing a fun rock show.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:25:41 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4948 on: August 08, 2019, 10:13:19 AM »
Listening to an advance copy of the Plovdiv show, it confirms what I already knew:  These guys put on a solid live show.  The songs are good and the performance is energetic and, as I said, solid.  If you like the songs and can get past the immature, frat-boy stage banter, you won't be disappointed by this.  I know I'll be buying it when it comes out.  The latter point will unfortunately limit the amount of listens I give it.  But I expected that.

I'll also add that I think JSS sounds good.  Is he perfect?  Nope.  But this is a rock show, not a studio recording.  I don't expect him to sound pristine.  He sounds like a good rock front man having a good time doing a fun rock show.

To this point....while I wasn't 'in love' with the album and honestly think/thought the songs were just 'ok' considering the talent involved......I did see them live when they came through St. Louis and am glad I did. JSS sounded fantastic live and the energy (minus DS who looked bored or drugged) they gave off made it a really fun show to see. I was thoroughly impressed by Ron Thal's guitar playing AND his vocals also. I'd go see them again should they stop in St. Louis but I don't think I'm traveling anywhere to see them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4949 on: August 08, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »
I definitely saw them live not because the music was particularly good, but rather because of the live performance. It was a great show for sure. (With the slight caveat that watching a 50-year old drinking straight vodka on stage was a bit troubling).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4950 on: August 08, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
I'll be getting this one but making a playlist with the full SoA album in a live setting. The songs were so much stronger.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4951 on: August 08, 2019, 10:48:07 AM »
I saw it live too, and in hindsight it just seems a tad ... schizophrenic to me.  Are they Van Halen?  Are they Dream Theater?  Neither?  Both?   The problem for me is, as great as he is (I have a Queen tribute album on which Jeff SHINES) much of the schizophrenia comes from the front man.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4952 on: August 08, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »
I'm with you, Stadler, that's the same impression I had during the gig. Their choice of songs was really odd, from several Queen covers (I mean, one is fine, but several?) to Dream Theater covers which, at this point, hurt the cause more than they help I feel.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4953 on: August 08, 2019, 12:09:16 PM »

To this point....while I wasn't 'in love' with the album and honestly think/thought the songs were just 'ok' considering the talent involved......I did see them live when they came through St. Louis and am glad I did. JSS sounded fantastic live and the energy (minus DS who looked bored or drugged) they gave off made it a really fun show to see. I was thoroughly impressed by Ron Thal's guitar playing AND his vocals also. I'd go see them again should they stop in St. Louis but I don't think I'm traveling anywhere to see them.

Same here.

As someone who wasn't much of fan of the first album, I couldn't talk myself into traveling 20 miles to see them when they came here.

:P :P

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4954 on: August 08, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
I saw it live too, and in hindsight it just seems a tad ... schizophrenic to me.  Are they Van Halen?  Are they Dream Theater?  Neither?  Both?   The problem for me is, as great as he is (I have a Queen tribute album on which Jeff SHINES) much of the schizophrenia comes from the front man.

More of a Van Halen meets Dream Theater meets neither meets both.

But seriously, I don't mind that they are all over the map BUT I can see why you would have an issue with that. I thought half their songs just weren't good, whether they were proggier or rockier, and the other half were. Divine Addiction almost sounds like it doesn't belong on the album but it ended up being my favorite song off of it. The other two favorites are the proggier ones. Some of my favorite albums get accused of not being focused so I don't mind it being all over the map as long as it's good, which as I stated, half of Psychotic Symphony just is not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4955 on: August 08, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »
Outside of this forum (and, for the most part, outside of this and possibly other MP-related threads), I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "cover" to describe a situation where some of a song's original writers and performers performing the song with some other people.  Just feels like unnecessary anti-MP bias to me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4956 on: August 08, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »
At least from my side, has nothing to do with MP. I call what Queen+Adam Lambert are doing "covers" as well.

EDIT: Or maybe even more controversially, when JLB and JR played SDV, for me that was a cover as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:17:39 PM by rumborak »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4957 on: August 08, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
If you go to setlist.com, they always refer to them as covers unless it is the actual band playing them.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4958 on: August 08, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »
So...

Heaven and Hell playing Heaven and Hell... is that considered a cover? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4959 on: August 08, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
So...

I think the debate regarding that specific reincarnation of the Dio / Iommi venture could be as long as the debate about wether Six Degrees is a single song or not  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4960 on: August 08, 2019, 04:23:26 PM »
To add a few to the list: Geoff Tate singing O:M, Roger Waters performing The Wall, all to me are covers of their own songs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4961 on: August 08, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
I have no issue with that thinking, despite it being a little weird. If James, JP, and JM replace JSS, Thal, and Sheehan in SoA, and they play Just Let Me Breathe, that is still (oddly enough) SoA covering a DT song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4962 on: August 08, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »

Yes, but all in one album!  :metal

For sure, it'll be the best thing MP has ever done, everything else was pure garbage compared to this coming masterpiece.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4963 on: August 08, 2019, 11:24:43 PM »
So...

According to setlist.fm (not .com like I said previously), yes. But I think there should be a caveat to exclude bands that are the same band but just changed their name to placate an asshole like Sharon Osbourne.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4964 on: August 09, 2019, 01:04:43 AM »
So...

According to setlist.fm (not .com like I said previously), yes. But I think there should be a caveat to exclude bands that are the same band but just changed their name to placate an asshole like Sharon Osbourne.

Not to derail the thread, but I remember a quite informed fansite stressing that this wasn't the case, and that at least back in the day, Iommi was still the sole owner of the Black Sabbath name.

The name change was done just to free them from the expectations that came with the name, and to justify playing only songs from the Dio era. If you go to see "Black Sabbath" you expect Iron Man and Paranoid regardless of the lineup. If you go to see Heaven and Hell, you know what you get.

To add to the weirdness, when Dio and Iommi got back together in 2006 they wrote three new songs, which were added on the compilation "The Dio Years" which came out under the Black Sabbath name. So we have Heaven and Hell, which is the same band of the 1982 version of Black Sabbath, playing songs released as Black Sabbath. A covers inception  ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4965 on: August 09, 2019, 01:19:40 AM »
I figured it was because Both incarnations of Black Sabbath were active at the time. So the Dio lineup ended up changing their name as to not cause confusion, likely in booking.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4966 on: August 09, 2019, 02:40:01 AM »
I figured it was because Both incarnations of Black Sabbath were active at the time. So the Dio lineup ended up changing their name as to not cause confusion, likely in booking.

Well, after 2005 Black Sabbath with Ozzy was more or less put on ice, and if I remember correctly no Black Sabbatah shows happened while Iommi was busy with Dio (2006-2010), but yeah, having a name change removes the problem to "officially" fire Ozzy from the band and bringing RJD back as the singer.

If for whatever reason there's still a Dream Theater active but JP, MP, JR and JM go on tour with Russell Allen as "Nightmare Cinema", they technically didn't fire LaBrie.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4967 on: August 09, 2019, 03:36:15 AM »
Yeah but let's face it, there's almost a 100% chance that Iommi was equally as influenced by not wanting to get on Sharon's bad side as everything you mentioned.

Then she sues him for 50% of the name a few years later anyway, claiming that it should actually belong equally to all the original members of Black Sabbath, settles the lawsuit, gets the original band back together and magically no one brings up the Osbourne's absurd statement about the name being equally owned by everyone, even as they can the drummer and turn the drum stool over to the stiffest and absolute worst  Sabbath drummer in history, Tommy Clufetos.

BTW, there is a hilarious interview with the Sabbs, err, Heaven & Hellers on Eddie Trunk, I think the night of the big Radio City show. They discuss the name and Dio is hilarious. Geezer is drunk off his ass too. Ronnie says that they thought about naming themselves Tommy Miami and the Corvettes (or something even more hilarious) and then said, they also kicked around the idea of calling themselves Geezer Butler and the Italians. They talk about how to pronounce the name "Appice" and the normally reserved Geezer chimes in and says, "Everyone always gets my name wrong. It's actually BOOTLAH " and goes on and on as he gets drunker and drunker.

By the end of the night, Geezer was literally just making noises into the microphone.

I would pay someone several dollars if they could find that interview.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #4968 on: August 09, 2019, 06:01:08 AM »
Continuing these thoughts...
So when ARW played Yes tunes, they were considered Yes covers, which I get, when they changed their name to Yes featuring...,they were still considered Yes covers.

But when the current "official" Yes played Time and a Word, a song none of the current members played on, it's not listed as a cover.

And somehow, that all makes sense!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4969 on: August 09, 2019, 06:57:20 AM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。