Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468202 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4830 on: July 23, 2019, 06:51:23 AM »
Just Let Me Breathe is one of DT’s very worst songs imo so not sure why they even covered it in the first place let alone used it to sell the live dvd.

Well, it's not that they had that many albums with both Derek and Mike in the band to chose from - there's only one.

And then you have to narrow it down to songs MP wrote / helped arranging / wrote the lyrics for.

What else they were gonna play anyway? Burning My Soul? You Not Me, which MP hates because of the label's interference?

They played HK and LITS on that show, BMS was a no brainer, and they missed the opportunity to have it recorded instead of playing a bunch of lame classic rock covers.
And, while I agree on the fact that there’s no much MP/DS material from FII they *would* use, his point is also that it seems odd that they’d promote their upcoming live release (one of the best of MP’s career, according to him, of course) with a DT song and not one of their own, like Signs of the Time, for example. They’re basically promoting themselves as a cover band, whether they realize it or not.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4831 on: July 23, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »
Well, you could see it more as reminding the casual fan that the band is out there. Not everyone follows closely everything MP does, a random DT fan that sees this pop up in his YouTube feed and goes "ah, right, I forgot about these guys" will check out the song... say he likes it, hearing a DT song done good might propel his interest in catching up with the band and their album.

Then again I won't surely argue about the "Why don't they just release Signs of the Time since it's their own song"  thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4832 on: July 23, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
Just Let Me Breathe is one of DT’s very worst songs imo so not sure why they even covered it in the first place let alone used it to sell the live dvd.

Well, it's not that they had that many albums with both Derek and Mike in the band to chose from - there's only one.

And then you have to narrow it down to songs MP wrote / helped arranging / wrote the lyrics for.

What else they were gonna play anyway? Burning My Soul? You Not Me, which MP hates because of the label's interference?

Mike wrote every song on the album so not sure why they chose to cover one of the worst or used it as the promo song for the dvd. FII is a patchy record imo but New Millenium, Lines In The Sand, Hells Kitchen, Trial Of Tears and Peruvian Skies are all pretty stellar. I suspect Mike wanted this song as he wrote the lyrics for it but it’s not a great song at all.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #4833 on: July 23, 2019, 07:36:04 AM »

I feel Just Let Me Breath is really well suited to the style of music SOP perform. It seemed like a good fit, and DT hasn't played it in awhile. I dig it.

Can't wait for them to whip out the demo version of You Or Me next time around. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4834 on: July 23, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »
I feel Just Let Me Breath is really well suited to the style of music SOP perform. It seemed like a good fit, and DT hasn't played it in awhile. I dig it.

Bingo, the song fits the band very well and they executed very well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4835 on: July 23, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »

Mike co-wrote every song on the album so not sure why they chose to cover one of the worst or used it as the promo song for the dvd. FII is a patchy record imo but New Millenium, Lines In The Sand, Hells Kitchen, Trial Of Tears and Peruvian Skies are all pretty stellar. I suspect Mike wanted this song as he wrote the lyrics for it but it’s not a great song at all.

FTFY, because John Petrucci, James LaBrie, James Myung and Derek Sherinian all wrote every song on FII as well (per the credits).

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4836 on: July 23, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »
Yes, I’m aware of that obviously as I’m sure everyone is but the post I was responding to indicated that SOA could only pick from songs he was involved in either as a writer, arranger or lyric writer. Was just pointing out that he was involved as a writer on every song.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4837 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
Erik, you do what you gotta do, and I can appreciate the principle behind it, but honestly, I think you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. If you enjoy what the other 4 guys are doing, why not pick up the album? And as it is, even DS' trash talk has disappeared. I think it was more him trying to grab attention (negative or otherwise) in the same way that he presented himself while with DT in 97-98 with the clothes he wore, his stage decorations, etc. which were intentionally meant to get some uptight DT fans' panties in a bunch. I'm not trying to defend the man, but look at it for what it was. Anyway, your choice, meu amigo.

Yeah, I'm not happy about it, and I struggled with what to do with SoA.  I don't enjoy feeling this way and I feel like his plan to get our panties in a bunch backfired and he should have owned up to it.  Attitude means a lot to me, not just the music, and there's a few other bands that I don't support due simply to their craptittudes (Oasis), no matter how good the actual music is, their attitudes, especially towards fans, is important.

Although in this case it *is* mostly DS acting the way he did, MP didn't help the situation at all by contributing to it (an also his general attitude since he left DT), so he's a part of the way I feel about SoA as well.  I'd say it's about 64/36 DS/MP.  Like I said, I used to really like DS, even if I wasn't a huge fan of his post-DT stuff, I still respected the guy.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if he was acting like a jerk because he really believes the crap he was saying, or if it's because he was trying to create controversy just to get attention and more album sales.  Either way it's still lame.  Fortunately for me, I don't like the album anyway so it's simple to "boycott."  However - without all that, I would have supported them anyway, even though I didn't like the album, just to support MP.  DS (and MP too) turned me off from wanting to support them at all.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4838 on: July 23, 2019, 11:18:54 AM »
Well, you could see it more as reminding the casual fan that the band is out there. Not everyone follows closely everything MP does, a random DT fan that sees this pop up in his YouTube feed and goes "ah, right, I forgot about these guys" will check out the song... say he likes it, hearing a DT song done good might propel his interest in catching up with the band and their album.

Then again I won't surely argue about the "Why don't they just release Signs of the Time since it's their own song"  thing.

At the same time though, its kind of sad when casual fans have to be reminded. I enjoyed when they played it at ProgPower, it had that energy that song needs. It's just, If you really have faith in your band, you wouldn't need to release a cover promo, you'd release your own song. Unless, they're trying to get the attention of casual DT fans.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4839 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Yeah, I'm still in the "0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)" department. Haven't heard the album and I don't intend to check out the live release.

If there is no shit stirring from the band members during their second release cycle, I may check it out. Bumblefoot and JSS seem like good sport.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:45:25 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline efx

« Reply #4840 on: July 23, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »
The Chris Cornell change to the lyrics really bug me. Like a lot. In the past I thought the original wasn't that great either but this one really irritates me.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4841 on: July 23, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
Bumblefoot and JSS seem like good sport.

They're the reason I enjoyed them live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4842 on: July 23, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
The Chris Cornell change to the lyrics really bug me. Like a lot. In the past I thought the original wasn't that great either but this one really irritates me.

Why?  I thought it felt relevant, but I'll also agree the original lyrics here were never that great.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4843 on: July 23, 2019, 12:08:34 PM »

Why?  I thought it felt relevant, but I'll also agree the original lyrics here were never that great.

I believe this was discussed earlier in the thread but it bothers me because the original lyrics were sort of flippant, like "hey you killed yourself, now you're a household name and MTV can milk this, way to go!" To now use chris cornell's name seems to be somewhat sardonic, even though mike has said he likes chris Cornell. Overall it seems disrespectful. Regardless, the lyrics were some of the poorest in DTs catalogue to begin with and JLMB I consider probably the worst dt song.

Offline efx

« Reply #4844 on: July 23, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »

I believe this was discussed earlier in the thread but it bothers me because the original lyrics were sort of flippant, like "hey you killed yourself, now you're a household name and MTV can milk this, way to go!" To now use chris cornell's name seems to be somewhat sardonic, even though mike has said he likes chris Cornell. Overall it seems disrespectful. Regardless, the lyrics were some of the poorest in DTs catalogue to begin with and JLMB I consider probably the worst dt song.

That is basically it as far as I see it. In the context of the original lyrics and the stance DT had as a band back then Hoon and Cobain felt thrown under the bus whereas I felt their deaths were much too tragic to be associated in that way. And especially with Chris Cornell it's as you say a bit too flippant in the context of the lyrics, regardless if MP likes him or not.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4845 on: July 23, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
I like that video's sound/mix much more than the trailer.  The album is enjoyable and I still listen to it fairly regularly, so I'll probably buy this Blu-ray set, since I didn't see them live. 

Anyone still abstaining from listening to this album is doing themselves a disservice.  It really is a pretty good record, despite whatever personality issues you may have with the musicians involved.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4846 on: July 23, 2019, 01:58:28 PM »
I am listenign to the album now, and while there's seems to be an improvement, I still find some troubles on the mix of the album.
And on the entire song (the show must go on) I hear JSS struggling with his voice.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4847 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
I am listenign to the album now, and while there's seems to be an improvement, I still find some troubles on the mix of the album.
And on the entire song (the show must go on) I hear JSS struggling with his voice.
it's a Queen piece, who wouldn't struggle to sing it? (apart from James on a good day or whomever)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4848 on: July 23, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Got the album now...it's fucking awesome!!!!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4849 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:48 PM »
it's a Queen piece, who wouldn't struggle to sing it? (apart from James on a good day or whomever)
He is not struggling because of the song, his voice is struggling most of the concert (no matter the song)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4850 on: July 23, 2019, 06:31:50 PM »
So you're saying he's Jeff Scott Soso?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4851 on: July 23, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »
He is not struggling because of the song, his voice is struggling most of the concert (no matter the song)

Well you only specified one song, so it looks like you're only talking about that one song.

I'm really only going to hear their songs. Especially Labyrinth with the orchestra. That's the only song I really enjoy from the album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4852 on: July 23, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »

I haven’t heard the live album, but we all know Soto doesn’t have the range to pull that off (not saying that’s bad, just that they should’ve chosen their covers more in line with their singer’s range).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4853 on: July 23, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »

Well you only specified one song, so it looks like you're only talking about that one song.

I'm really only going to hear their songs. Especially Labyrinth with the orchestra. That's the only song I really enjoy from the album.

Yes, you are correct. My bad.

Sadly, to my ears, the struggling it's present on most of the record

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4854 on: July 23, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
So you're saying he's Jeff Scott Soso?

You should be arrested for that. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4855 on: July 23, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
Not following SoA at all but this thread amuses me. All that video did was remind me how awful that song is. I don't know JSS at all so cannot comment on his performance on this. But I can't imagine anyone making this song good.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4856 on: July 24, 2019, 12:39:38 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if he was acting like a jerk because he really believes the crap he was saying, or if it's because he was trying to create controversy just to get attention and more album sales.  Either way it's still lame.  Fortunately for me, I don't like the album anyway so it's simple to "boycott."  However - without all that, I would have supported them anyway, even though I didn't like the album, just to support MP.  DS (and MP too) turned me off from wanting to support them at all.

:tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

I used to just buy MP's stuff to support him, even though I didn't care for whatever it was sometimes, and same with DS.  What sucks most for me is that I'm not supporting the other guys due to their garbage so it doesn't just affect them, it affects others.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4857 on: July 24, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »
A friend who also received a promo copy share his thoughts quickly about the live recording:

“KASHMIR - There was only on Robert Plant.

GATES OF BABYLON - Lacks balls and JSS's voice is straining.

DREAM ON - Decent rendition, again JSS's voice is not at its best

DIARY OF A MADMAN - Decent, the "Ah, ah" at the end is cringeworthy

COMFORTABLY NUMB - My respect to Ron Thal as a guitar player, but the fast picking in the solo is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary. That is NOT something you do for this song. This song is all about feeling, not about showing off. Fortunately the fast section is not that long.

SHOW MUST GO ON - Best of them all, JSS far from his best and the mix (and this affects all of them is weird). JSS is too up-front, the band's sound is a little subdued and "restrained" which should have been the opposite considering there was a symphonic orchestra as well

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK - JSS sings the best in this one, but the mix is equally awful, the sound of the band playing in a second plane”

I guess he is more articulated than me, but si do agree with him about this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4858 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »
And what about their original songs?  Maybe I'm a minority, but I consider the covers just a bonus here.  I hope the reason I'd watch this more than once was to watch the original songs live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4859 on: July 24, 2019, 07:13:11 AM »
I know in Worcester, "...Cradle..." was fun but it was sort of... not out of place, but it was a different vibe from the rest of the show.   Not better or worse, but just different. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4860 on: July 24, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »
Honestly, wasn't crazy about Cradle live either.  I love VH and I think there are way better VH songs that they could have done instead.  But what made that song fun when I saw them was that JSS sung it from the crowd, right near me.  That was so cool.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4861 on: July 24, 2019, 07:54:29 AM »
And what about their original songs? Maybe I'm a minority, but I consider the covers just a bonus here.  I hope the reason I'd watch this more than once was to watch the original songs live.

The mix is the same, JSS it's too upfront (with his voice not as normal, seems sick to me) with the band drwoning in the back. But they do their own songs better than the covers which is to be expected I guess

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4862 on: July 24, 2019, 08:27:42 AM »
Honestly, wasn't crazy about Cradle live either.  I love VH and I think there are way better VH songs that they could have done instead.  But what made that song fun when I saw them was that JSS sung it from the crowd, right near me.  That was so cool.

Yeah, he did the circuit of my venue; there were stairs up to the back (where there was a bar) and he went up, did a shot and made his way back.  Fun, but I would've rather seen a song that played to the band's strengths, like "In A Simple Rhyme".   

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4863 on: July 24, 2019, 12:21:36 PM »
A friend who also received a promo copy share his thoughts quickly about the live recording:

“KASHMIR - There was only on Robert Plant.

GATES OF BABYLON - Lacks balls and JSS's voice is straining.

DREAM ON - Decent rendition, again JSS's voice is not at its best

DIARY OF A MADMAN - Decent, the "Ah, ah" at the end is cringeworthy

COMFORTABLY NUMB - My respect to Ron Thal as a guitar player, but the fast picking in the solo is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary. That is NOT something you do for this song. This song is all about feeling, not about showing off. Fortunately the fast section is not that long.

SHOW MUST GO ON - Best of them all, JSS far from his best and the mix (and this affects all of them is weird). JSS is too up-front, the band's sound is a little subdued and "restrained" which should have been the opposite considering there was a symphonic orchestra as well

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK - JSS sings the best in this one, but the mix is equally awful, the sound of the band playing in a second plane”

I guess he is more articulated than me, but si do agree with him about this.

Ick. This is making me rethink my preorder. Also kind of lame that they're covering some songs that mike portnoy already covered with dream theater. Weird actually.

So here's a thought about JSS. I really came around to the guy. He seems cool as hell and his enthusiasm was infectious (minus his weird stage moves) but it's kind of sad that we didnt get to hear him in this band in his prime. With JLB, he has his off nights but we have several studio albums and live performances where he was out of this world. Now that he's in his 50s and holds back more, we at least have a ton of history to fall back on. JSS doesn't have that other than other bands which I dont really care to search up. JLB doesn't sound like 20 year old JLB and that's fine because we've gotten to know his voice over the last few decades. We'll never know what 20 year old JSS would sound like in SoA to the detriment of any legacy they may be trying to build.

Really puts MP's critisicms of JLB in perspective. While I did dig a lot of SoA, saw them live, preordered their next one, and went back on my stand of boycotting them, it just seems like they were unleashed to the world with a bit of a thud. 

As it stands, I think the band will always be just a fun side project, despite their efforts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4864 on: July 24, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »
As it stands, I think the band will always be just a fun side project, despite their efforts.

I agree, but I think it has a bit to do with what you alluded to before, they are too old.  In a niche genre.  It's just not music that's terribly relevant in today's scene so I don't think this band will ever make it bigger than being just their side gig either.  That's OK though as long as the music is good.  There aren't many prog metal bands making it big these days even the younger ones who are pushing the limits of the genre.