Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467597 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4795 on: July 19, 2019, 07:12:38 AM »
I really really loved their performance of Just Let Me Breathe live, this is really cool to watch.  Bumblefoot's guitar sounds kind of muddy, but overall I enjoy the sound.

Ohhhhh Bumblebee is singing. He sounds good! I hope he does more of that on the 2nd album.

If you like his singing, he's the current singer of Asia now and he was a pretty good frontman for them when I saw them a month ago.  I had no idea he was a good singer, I remembered him singing a small amount with SOA but didn't think much of it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4796 on: July 19, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
in case anyone is interested, this is Just Let Me Breathe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdbG07nFfw

That performance has completely sold me on buying the blu-ray. Wish I'd seen them live when I had the chance now.

Actually, I don't think I've ever enjoyed Just Let Me Breathe as much as I did just then.

cramx3, Ron Thal has a fabulous voice. Try listening to Little Brother is Watching.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4797 on: July 19, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
That is pretty reflective of when I saw them.  Just a bunch of talented musicians having a good time.  Immensely entertaining. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4798 on: July 19, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »
The mix sounds much better than that original preview snippet, but I do wish the guitar and bass were a little more prominent.

With that being said, I am very much looking forward to this now :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4799 on: July 19, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »

cramx3, Ron Thal has a fabulous voice. Try listening to Little Brother is Watching.

Little Brother Is Watching is a phenomenal album. It's in my regular rotation.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4800 on: July 19, 2019, 10:33:55 AM »
That is pretty reflective of when I saw them.  Just a bunch of talented musicians having a good time.  Immensely entertaining.

agreed  ,,,, they have a good spirit
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4801 on: July 19, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »

Instagram blocked the video on MP's profile for copyright  :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4802 on: July 19, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
:rollin  Technology.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4803 on: July 19, 2019, 12:40:27 PM »
Tell him I want my youtube videos back too!!  :lol I wonder why this live album's so tight on their copyright infringement algorithm

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4804 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:23 PM »

:rollin

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4805 on: July 20, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
MP's reaction was to be expected, wasn't it. My father loves this version of Just Let Me Breathe btw. (seeing as he wasn't really familar with SOA, meaning he only knew that Mike and Derek are part of them)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4806 on: July 20, 2019, 07:35:27 PM »
Great version and I really love what BF and BS are doing.  This would have been an automatic purchase for me to support DS and MP and the guys... and then DS went and opened his twatter trash.  I've stuck to my guns and not listened to SoA at all cuz of DS which, sadly, means I'm not supporting the other guys as well.

I used to think DS was a great guy, especially when he did the Reunited show, and then pfft.

I don't know jack-shit about BF but he sounds great.  Does he have anything else I should check out?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4807 on: July 20, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
Even though I consider Just Let Me Breathe a lower tier DT song, I checked out that new live version by this band.  Sherinian and Portnoy both killed it in a good way with their playing, but the guitar riffing didn't have enough oomph (not sure if it was because of his tone or the mix), and I was reminded again of why this band did little for me: the singer does absolutely nothing for me.  I don't dislike it, but it just strikes me as a generic rock voice with zero character at all; I do not connect to it at all.  Despite Sherinian's social media silliness prior to the first album release, I'd listen to this stuff if I liked it, but I just don't.  With a different and much better singer, perhaps I would.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4808 on: July 21, 2019, 06:01:19 AM »
Even though I consider Just Let Me Breathe a lower tier DT song, I checked out that new live version by this band.  Sherinian and Portnoy both killed it in a good way with their playing, but the guitar riffing didn't have enough oomph (not sure if it was because of his tone or the mix), and I was reminded again of why this band did little for me: the singer does absolutely nothing for me.  I don't dislike it, but it just strikes me as a generic rock voice with zero character at all; I do not connect to it at all.  Despite Sherinian's social media silliness prior to the first album release, I'd listen to this stuff if I liked it, but I just don't.  With a different and much better singer, perhaps I would.
Derek's behaviour was also something I expected (even going back to when I watched the 5YIAL video as a child, I always thought he may be arrogant, as with MP). In case people love the band, ok, fine with me. I for one will always go back to Billy Sheehan's work with Steve Vai and DLR whenever I fancy listening to his playing.  The hype for SOA made me indifferent (I guess) towards them. "generic rock voice" is a good description too IMHO. I do think that MP is better suited for SOA than for DT, because him and Derek are similar in terms of personalities and as players too (visceral as opposed to cerebral if that makes sense, we saw that during the FII period too.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4809 on: July 21, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
I dunno guys,  I saw SOA in Seattle and Jeff was an amazing frontman and singer. He came across as a very cool guy that really has alot of fun performing. Jeff, Bumblefoot, and Billy Sheehan, really had a great chemistry and MP was flawless.
 I agree about Derek though. He walked by me after the show out near the merch area and I told him he did a great job and thanks for coming up here to play. He begrudgingly said thanks in a undertone and kept walking, didn't even look at me...lol!   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4810 on: July 21, 2019, 02:11:01 PM »
Oh I know about the Derek not even looking at you thing  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4811 on: July 22, 2019, 08:46:01 AM »
I dunno guys,  I saw SOA in Seattle and Jeff was an amazing frontman and singer. He came across as a very cool guy that really has alot of fun performing. Jeff, Bumblefoot, and Billy Sheehan, really had a great chemistry and MP was flawless.
 I agree about Derek though. He walked by me after the show out near the merch area and I told him he did a great job and thanks for coming up here to play. He begrudgingly said thanks in a undertone and kept walking, didn't even look at me...lol!

You can be both, though.  He was like that in Worcester, MA as well.  Dynamic - not "Roth" or "Dickinson" dynamic, but dynamic - and he hit all the notes - the "Save Me" piece was very good, even if it was living proof of why Mercury is the greatest rock singer since 1970 - but on the record, with the songs, there's no separation.  He said he "wasn't going to sing in that high register", and that's what those songs needed.  EVERYTHING was competing in that mid-range frequency range.  Billy Sheehan, GREAT bass player, but he plays in that burpy, trebly style that competes in that space.  The keys and the guitars, in that space.  Then all the vocals are in that space as well.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4812 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
Yea, I had no JFF experience going into SOA and I was not impressed from the album.  All the yeas and the same style/sound of his vocals trhoughout the album just kind of turned me off.  He redeemed himself by bringing those songs alive with his stage presence and vocal abilities in person.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4813 on: July 22, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
Great version and I really love what BF and BS are doing.  This would have been an automatic purchase for me to support DS and MP and the guys... and then DS went and opened his twatter trash.  I've stuck to my guns and not listened to SoA at all cuz of DS which, sadly, means I'm not supporting the other guys as well.

I used to think DS was a great guy, especially when he did the Reunited show, and then pfft.

I don't know jack-shit about BF but he sounds great.  Does he have anything else I should check out?
Erik, you do what you gotta do, and I can appreciate the principle behind it, but honestly, I think you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. If you enjoy what the other 4 guys are doing, why not pick up the album? And as it is, even DS' trash talk has disappeared. I think it was more him trying to grab attention (negative or otherwise) in the same way that he presented himself while with DT in 97-98 with the clothes he wore, his stage decorations, etc. which were intentionally meant to get some uptight DT fans' panties in a bunch. I'm not trying to defend the man, but look at it for what it was. Anyway, your choice, meu amigo.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4814 on: July 22, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »
Scott, with all due respect, I think people being soured on Derek in recent years is far more than just "uptight DT fans' panties in a bunch."  He has behaved poorly, both publicly and in one-on-one fan encounters, the latter of which has been mentioned SEVERAL times by quite a few people, and is also consistent with what I witnessed in person.  While it might not be anywhere near as egregious as the things that Geoff Tate has done, I would think that you could understand fans finding it offputting since you have no problem seeing Tate's conduct in that light.  In any case, I know I can say that I personally DO find it extremely offputting.  I just haven't quite gotten to the point where I personally am boycotting the music.  But that is because (1) I really enjoy their musical output, and (2) I like the other members of the band, to varying degrees.  But that said, I completely understand some boycotting the music on principle.  I have been close at times.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4815 on: July 22, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
Prior to the Sons, I would have said that DT's approach to keyboards under Derek was one of my favorite eras of the band. I liked his songwriting, as well his more modern approach, and thought he had an edge and rockstar flamboyance that Rudess replaces with a less desirable (to me) mad scientist schtick.

After the Sons, I'm no longer yearning for Derek's return to DT. His ideas, the sounds he uses, the way he plays, hasn't evolved a lick since Falling into Infinity. His aversion to technology is misguided and backwards looking, and underscores just how far he is from the state of the art. His personality, frankly, sucks. The fun and flamboyant player is now a crotchety old man on a high horse.

Enough. If I am to be sold on the idea of a "super group" part of the deal is the personalities involved need be one of the attractions. The band are talented but what they have in chops they lack in personality, and it doesn't help to have MP and DS act like old men yelling at clouds. Make me excited about your music based on what you do well, not by encouraging negativity over what you think the other guys do poorly. Meanwhile Rudess delivered one of his best DT performances yet on D/T.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4816 on: July 22, 2019, 12:01:13 PM »
Other than the fact that I DO enjoy the music, I agree with pretty much everything in your post, Skeever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4817 on: July 22, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »
His personality aside, I don't see the issue with Sherinian sticking with his tried and true sounds, and while I never really checked out Planet X or his other post-DT stuff, many have said he progressed greatly in his playing since, so I am not sure that it is true that he hasn't evolved at all since FII.  And while I prefer Rudess overall, he can drive me nuts with his tones and solos at times, while hearing Sherinian play that Just Let Me Breathe solo again with that tone and wreckless abandon was pretty sweet.  I just wish I liked the singer more; I'd probably dig this band if I did.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4818 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:07 PM »
I haven't  heard a ton of Sherinian's stuff, but I have heard some, and it is QUITE different than his DT playing.

So I wouldn't say he hasn't evolved, but maybe that he regressed for SOA.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4819 on: July 22, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »
I haven't  heard a ton of Sherinian's stuff, but I have heard some, and it is QUITE different than his DT playing.

So I wouldn't say he hasn't evolved, but maybe that he regressed for SOA.

I guess it could be that! Both he and MP seem intent on doubling down on the past for SOA, when, if anything, "the past" during that era of DT was always about looking toward the future! I feel bad for JSS because he seems to be the one in the band who would be genuinely interested in spreading his wings a bit more. I heard a JSS solo song the other day, it it sounded exactly like it would pass for a SOA song.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4820 on: July 22, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Scott, with all due respect, I think people being soured on Derek in recent years is far more than just "uptight DT fans' panties in a bunch."  He has behaved poorly, both publicly and in one-on-one fan encounters, the latter of which has been mentioned SEVERAL times by quite a few people, and is also consistent with what I witnessed in person.  While it might not be anywhere near as egregious as the things that Geoff Tate has done, I would think that you could understand fans finding it offputting since you have no problem seeing Tate's conduct in that light.  In any case, I know I can say that I personally DO find it extremely offputting.  I just haven't quite gotten to the point where I personally am boycotting the music.  But that is because (1) I really enjoy their musical output, and (2) I like the other members of the band, to varying degrees.  But that said, I completely understand some boycotting the music on principle.  I have been close at times.
I can understand what you're saying Bosk. But as you readily admitted, what DS has done is not at the same level as what Tater has. That's not to take away from what DS has done, which I am not condoning and found irritating as well. But the other big difference between DS and Tater is that no one knows or cares about anyone in Tater's backing band - the same is not the case for SoA, where the other 4 members are generally well regarded. So that's the point I'm making. If Erik chooses to stick with his boycott, then that's his choice and I won't fault him for that. But I just think it might be worth for him to rethink whether that principle is strong enough for him to avoid SoA or not.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4821 on: July 22, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
I still don't like how the vocals are mixed in that new clip, but the performance is great!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4822 on: July 22, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »
I can understand what you're saying Bosk. But as you readily admitted, what DS has done is not at the same level as what Tater has. That's not to take away from what DS has done, which I am not condoning and found irritating as well. But the other big difference between DS and Tater is that no one knows or cares about anyone in Tater's backing band - the same is not the case for SoA, where the other 4 members are generally well regarded. So that's the point I'm making. If Erik chooses to stick with his boycott, then that's his choice and I won't fault him for that. But I just think it might be worth for him to rethink whether that principle is strong enough for him to avoid SoA or not.
I wouldn't let one band member put me off if I like the other band members. Bumblefoot seems like a really upbeat guy with a big heart, same goes for JSS and Sheehan, and MP.  DS comes across as that hot-shot musician that is above the commoner fans. I don't know why some musicians get that way. 
I've seen it on a local level in my small home town, especially amongst blues guitarists. The hard rockers and metalheads are way more down to earth. Just an observation.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4823 on: July 22, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
I wouldn't let one band member put me off if I like the other band members. Bumblefoot seems like a really upbeat guy with a big heart, same goes for JSS and Sheehan, and MP.  DS comes across as that hot-shot musician that is above the commoner fans. I don't know why some musicians get that way. 
I've seen it on a local level in my small home town, especially amongst blues guitarists. The hard rockers and metalheads are way more down to earth. Just an observation.

I can vouch for that latter observation.   My local dive actually has a pretty good reputation as a blues club (Jeff Healey, a couple others, have come up there after playing bigger gigs in Hartford to jam).  The drummers?  Almost ALWAYS will drink with you at the bar.   Most of the rock guys?  Drink with you at the bar.  The local blues guitar players?  Sit in a booth in the back room and make it clear that interlopers aren't really welcome. 

Offline PMA

« Reply #4824 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
I've watched the video of Just Let Me Breathe.  I'll likely buy the Blu Ray to see the rest of the performance because I like seeing virtuoso playing and bands like this but I'm not that impressed with JSS's vocals and his stage presence in this video seems corny to me.  Didn't really care for Bumblefoot's vocals either.  Musically, it sounded great.  I hope that JSS sounds better on their material.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4825 on: July 22, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »
Just Let Me Breathe is one of DT’s very worst songs imo so not sure why they even covered it in the first place let alone used it to sell the live dvd.

As for the guy boycotting SOA because he thinks DS is a bit of a dick, you’re not missing much. The album is ok but it’s nothing more than that, nothing that is remotely essential for you to hear. Dream Theater and Distance Over Time in particular are light years ahead of what these guys are doing in every respect imo. Don’t get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the album when it came out, it’s by no means terrible. I have not listened to it in a looong time however and don’t foresee that changing anytime soon. I’ll give the live release a miss but would probably be tempted by a second studio album if I heard some good stuff from it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4826 on: July 22, 2019, 08:46:18 PM »
but on the record, with the songs, there's no separation.  He said he "wasn't going to sing in that high register", and that's what those songs needed.  EVERYTHING was competing in that mid-range frequency range.  Billy Sheehan, GREAT bass player, but he plays in that burpy, trebly style that competes in that space.  The keys and the guitars, in that space.  Then all the vocals are in that space as well.

I agree. It's a problem when your band has a guitarist, a keyboardist who plays like a guitarist and a bassist who plays like a guitarist, they all try to play in the same frequency range (not Bumblefoot's fault) and that's why the album sounds muddy most of the time. And if, on top of that, you add a gerenic rock sounding guy who sings the whole album in the same style/range because he's told by the producers to do that... the results aren't going to be very good.

His ideas, the sounds he uses, the way he plays, hasn't evolved a lick since Falling into Infinity. His aversion to technology is misguided and backwards looking, and underscores just how far he is from the state of the art. His personality, frankly, sucks. The fun and flamboyant player is now a crotchety old man on a high horse.

Couldn't have said it better.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4827 on: July 22, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »
I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely love Derek's keyboard sounds. His patches and sound is very original. Aside from his personality, he plays great. The stuff he did in Planet X was outstanding and there is where he shines on a technical aspect. His solo records are also very good. I absolutely enjoy his solo records a lot. They get me pumped on some of those riffs that he plays. I really don't care about the player's personalities. I care about the music. Yes, DS has a pompous personality but MP has had it's share as well. That hasn't stopped me from listening to the music they put out.

SoA was rushed and yes, Jeff's vocals killed the album for me. But the music itself its not that bad. I hope they (MP and DS) don't restrain JSS in the new record.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4828 on: July 22, 2019, 11:01:23 PM »
Erik, you do what you gotta do, and I can appreciate the principle behind it, but honestly, I think you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. If you enjoy what the other 4 guys are doing, why not pick up the album? And as it is, even DS' trash talk has disappeared. I think it was more him trying to grab attention (negative or otherwise) in the same way that he presented himself while with DT in 97-98 with the clothes he wore, his stage decorations, etc. which were intentionally meant to get some uptight DT fans' panties in a bunch. I'm not trying to defend the man, but look at it for what it was. Anyway, your choice, meu amigo.

Yeah, I'm not happy about it, and I struggled with what to do with SoA.  I don't enjoy feeling this way and I feel like his plan to get our panties in a bunch backfired and he should have owned up to it.  Attitude means a lot to me, not just the music, and there's a few other bands that I don't support due simply to their craptittudes (Oasis), no matter how good the actual music is, their attitudes, especially towards fans, is important.

Although in this case it *is* mostly DS acting the way he did, MP didn't help the situation at all by contributing to it (an also his general attitude since he left DT), so he's a part of the way I feel about SoA as well.  I'd say it's about 64/36 DS/MP.  Like I said, I used to really like DS, even if I wasn't a huge fan of his post-DT stuff, I still respected the guy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4829 on: July 23, 2019, 01:04:21 AM »
Just Let Me Breathe is one of DT’s very worst songs imo so not sure why they even covered it in the first place let alone used it to sell the live dvd.

Well, it's not that they had that many albums with both Derek and Mike in the band to chose from - there's only one.

And then you have to narrow it down to songs MP wrote / helped arranging / wrote the lyrics for.

What else they were gonna play anyway? Burning My Soul? You Not Me, which MP hates because of the label's interference?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!