Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468171 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4760 on: July 12, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »
He could've set the bar low, and it still wouldn't have lived up to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4761 on: July 12, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
Remember that SOA was going to be the best progressive metal band mankind has ever known?
In all fairness tho, those comments were made *before* they started working on the album. It was what they intended to do, but once they got started, it wasn't exactly the direction they ended up going in, and they admitted that being the case in later interviews.

You're right about the musical direction, but that doesn't change the fact that he was completely overhyping the band. Whether the album was "prog metal" or not, he still set the bar unrealistically high and, obviously, the album didn't live up to that.

And lets not forget about the shots at DT in the process. This band got off on the wrong foot before releasing any music sadly.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4762 on: July 12, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
Remember that SOA was going to be the best progressive metal band mankind has ever known?
In all fairness tho, those comments were made *before* they started working on the album. It was what they intended to do, but once they got started, it wasn't exactly the direction they ended up going in, and they admitted that being the case in later interviews.

He made those comments *before* the band started working together? Yikes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4763 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
He could've set the bar low, and it still wouldn't have lived up to it.

That too :lol

You're right about the musical direction, but that doesn't change the fact that he was completely overhyping the band. Whether the album was "prog metal" or not, he still set the bar unrealistically high and, obviously, the album didn't live up to that.

And lets not forget about the shots at DT in the process. This band got off on the wrong foot before releasing any music sadly.

They alienated a lot of their potential fanbase before releasing anything, but, to be fair, that was mostly Derek (Mike contributed, a lot, but Derek was/is the primary source for that).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4764 on: July 12, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
I remember when Derek started ripping on me on Facebook when I commented that it’s sad to see former band members rip on their former bands and that it wasn’t smart business to do so. After that, I decided to never listen to a note of Sons of Apollo. I broke that rule, but what I heard never really got me interested to investigate further. Happy to see others enjoy it though
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DTA

« Reply #4765 on: July 13, 2019, 03:28:32 AM »
That clip sounds like shit. The mix is bizarre and the vocals sound really out of place. Does anyone listen to the final version of these mixes anymore or is everything just sped up to get something released quickly?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4766 on: July 13, 2019, 12:48:16 PM »

He made those comments *before* the band started working together? Yikes.

:lol In all fairness, they made those comments before they knew what they were talking about.  :lol

That clip sounds like shit. The mix is bizarre and the vocals sound really out of place. Does anyone listen to the final version of these mixes anymore or is everything just sped up to get something released quickly?

There's something up with Jeff's voice. He's obviously a good singer but he sounds pretty strained. They need to add some reverb or something

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4767 on: July 14, 2019, 09:29:20 PM »
Yep, the vocals sound way too dry on the sound clip. I hope the overall quality is better than that..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #4768 on: July 15, 2019, 09:07:36 AM »
Yeah, I was really surprised how strained Jeff sounds. It sounds like he had a bit off an off night. And the mix certainly doesn't help either.
I really can't believe they would release something that sounds like this.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4769 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
Sons of Appallo  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4770 on: July 15, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
Yea, beyond the mix, Jeff sounds really rough. It sounds like he lost a whole lot of his range and maybe singing songs like The Shot Must Go On isn't a great idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4771 on: July 16, 2019, 06:48:33 AM »
MP posted this at FB:

HOLY SHIT!! I was sent the @sonsofapollo1 Plovdiv Blu-Ray “check disc” to approve all the navigation, authoring, bonus features etc
Just watched in my theater and was BLOWN AWAY!!
This shit is Fucking AMAZING...
One of the greatest shows and live releases of my career!!
I am sooo proud of this release and can’t wait for you all to experience it!!!!!
(Shhh...I think @insideoutmusic may have your first taste coming soon...😉)

https://www.facebook.com/116713035013014/posts/3151268681557419?s=517009568&v=e&sfns=mo

One Person commented:

“Was the mix fixed... Different from the last promo posted?”

And MP replied: “Mark Walsh The Mix is fine...y’all need to the chill...this sounds AWESOME!”

Honestly it seems the vocal tracks has been improved/corrected/fixed even listening from a phone recording, there’s a HUGE difference between the trailer and this

Offline Art

« Reply #4772 on: July 16, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
Soto does sound really bad on this preview. :sad:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4773 on: July 16, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »
If you read the comments on that post they aren't even that bad by any stretch. Just some people commenting that the vocals don't sound good, maybe like three or four people. Is that really all it takes to get under Mike's skin these days? Yikes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4774 on: July 16, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
If you read the comments on that post they aren't even that bad by any stretch. Just some people commenting that the vocals don't sound good, maybe like three or four people. Is that really all it takes to get under Mike's skin these days? Yikes.

Yeah, I noticed that. And none of those few comments seemed malicious.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4775 on: July 16, 2019, 08:16:56 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that. And none of those few comments seemed malicious.

I guess I just shouldn't be surprised, but here we are. (edit: Seriously, how is it that the guy who was all about 'teh nuggetz' for so many years is getting his panties in a wad because a couple people voiced mild dissatisfaction with the mix of the vocals and telling people to chill as if nitpicking this stuff is news to him 30+ years into his career?)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:24:32 AM by Kattelox »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4776 on: July 16, 2019, 08:20:49 AM »
What if he just reads this thread and when he goes on FB even the few comments exasperate him, because he finds confirmation that it's just not this forum who notices certain things?  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4777 on: July 16, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »
All he said was "chill", wasn't it? I had a quick look at the thread on Facebook and really couldn't see anything weird about his response. I'm always getting told by my MD to chill, it's just a word he likes to use.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4778 on: July 16, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »
What if he just reads this thread and when he goes on FB even the few comments exasperate him, because he finds confirmation that it's just not this forum who notices certain things?  :biggrin:

He probably then thinks its the same people

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4779 on: July 16, 2019, 09:41:03 AM »
All he said was "chill", wasn't it? I had a quick look at the thread on Facebook and really couldn't see anything weird about his response. I'm always getting told by my MD to chill, it's just a word he likes to use.

The comment in and of itself isn't problematic, it's just another example of his thin-skinned reactionary behavior towards fans. Like when he shamed a fan who paid good money to come to his gig and had the gall to wear a Dream Theater shirt, or when he told a fan about "a little invention called an airplane" when he couldn't travel to another country just to see MP on stage, or how he goes out of his way to tell people he's blocking them on Facebook and Twitter, or how he lashed out at a hospital for not giving him the star #1 priority treatment... the list goes on and on. Someone asked a legitimate question about the mix and he responds with, "CHILL!!" - a lot of other artists, smaller and far less famous, tend to answer those questions happily without telling their fans to 'chill.' That said it's just a Facebook comment, not really a big deal. But, we're on DTF. Hence this longwinded post.  :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4780 on: July 16, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »
Mike Portnoy is the Kanye West of the prog metal world, always patting themselves on the back. :lol :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4781 on: July 16, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
The updated clip sounded much better!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #4782 on: July 16, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
Honestly, it wasn't so much the mix as JSS's performance that turned me off.

I liked him a lot in the past, but he really just feels like he's past his prime and lost most of his range. This would be fine except for the number of cover songs/DT songs that require a range that JSS just doesn't have anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4783 on: July 16, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »
The updated clip sounded much better!   :tup

It does

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4784 on: July 16, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »

I liked him a lot in the past, but he really just feels like he's past his prime and lost most of his range. This would be fine except for the number of cover songs/DT songs that require a range that JSS just doesn't have anymore.

I couldn't tell you about his past, but I can tell you he blew my mind with how good his voice was live the two times I saw him with SOA.  I'd share my clips with you as proof (he sounded sooo good in my videos my point being it wasn't just an in person thing) but youtube took them down. I didn't think he sounded good in that promo clip, but I'm not sure this is a good example to go off of how he actually sounds these days.

Online Adami

« Reply #4785 on: July 16, 2019, 12:52:58 PM »

I couldn't tell you about his past, but I can tell you he blew my mind with how good his voice was live the two times I saw him with SOA.  I'd share my clips with you as proof (he sounded sooo good in my videos my point being it wasn't just an in person thing) but youtube took them down. I didn't think he sounded good in that promo clip, but I'm not sure this is a good example to go off of how he actually sounds these days.

Uh huh. Totally not suspicious at all.

I actually had proof that Geoff Tate sounds amazing. But my dog ate it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4786 on: July 16, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »
Saw Geoff Tate in May, can confirm he is awesome live :neverusethis:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4787 on: July 16, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »
Saw Geoff Tate in May, can confirm he is awesome live :neverusethis:

Yup, and I can confirm he sounded good in NJ, and I DO have video of that  :lol

This just made me want to find my buried tweet of Jeff that he enjoyed of his dance moves (and it's still up!)  :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/997898913968476160

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4788 on: July 16, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »

He was great when I saw them in Worcester. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4789 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »
I did point out that the major problem with his range seems to be from those cover songs. Were they playing The Show Must Go On and such at your shows? Cause they wrote the original material to be within his range.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4790 on: July 16, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »
I did point out that the major problem with his range seems to be from those cover songs. Were they playing The Show Must Go On and such at your shows? Cause they wrote the original material to be within his range.

No, he did the Queen tribute during the tour which was an unbelievable vocal show off.  Maybe you have a point about that song, but I'll wait until the release to judge it.

Online Adami

« Reply #4791 on: July 16, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »

No, he did the Queen tribute during the tour which was an unbelievable vocal show off.  Maybe you have a point about that song, but I'll wait until the release to judge it.

Yea. At no point do I consider anything in that clip to be awful or anything. But it just really emphasized his limitations, rather than his strengths. Overall, he sounds either good or okay/a bit weak. I'll probably still pick it up, depending on the one or two songs they're sure to release first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4792 on: July 16, 2019, 03:21:55 PM »
Hopefully its YouTube being Youtube, but JSS didn't sound like that at all at ProgPower.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4793 on: July 19, 2019, 06:46:05 AM »
in case anyone is interested, this is Just Let Me Breathe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdbG07nFfw
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Adami

« Reply #4794 on: July 19, 2019, 07:01:23 AM »
in case anyone is interested, this is Just Let Me Breathe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdbG07nFfw

Listening now.

Drums sound good as always. Guitars are extremely quiet. The scream into it was cool. JSS sounds good on this track, it's good for his range.

Ohhhhh Bumblebee is singing. He sounds good! I hope he does more of that on the 2nd album.

Keyboard guitar duel is mixed odd. Guitar suddenly became much louder and keyboard kinda vanished.

JSS is a really entertaining front man. Digging it. The band, overall, are really entertaining to watch.

Steven Tyler scream at the end was cool.

Over all, really cool and fun. I'm just a bit confused why they chose a DT cover as the first thing to release, but nothing about this release has really screamed Son of Apollo as much "Mike Portnoy and Friends having Fun."
fanticide.bandcamp.com