Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468431 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4690 on: June 03, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »
And SoA could sing a set consisting of their first album and some covers, and I'd buy one copy.

But where's Devin?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4691 on: June 04, 2019, 03:45:46 AM »
And SoA could sing a set consisting of their first album and some covers, and I'd buy one copy.

But where's Devin?

What if he's a member of the orchestra :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4692 on: June 04, 2019, 09:10:16 AM »

But where's Devin?

What if he's a member of the orchestra :justjen

Not even playing an instrument, just doing the "Devin scream" whenever the horn section blares. I love it!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4693 on: June 09, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »
I was never going to see this band live with the album they released (Although I'm sure it was better live)

I was always going to get this live package from the time it was announced although it's just going to be the basic CD/DVD package. Not springing for the "added value" of art book, Apollo statue or anything else they might come up with. I think the music would have to justify that and for me it doesn't.

We'll see what happens with album two......

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4694 on: June 28, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »
Pre-order pages are starting to pop up for the live album. I noticed this over on Laser CD regarding the release:

“The CD has the entire gig. But we had problems getting clearance on three of the cover tracks for the Blu-ray and DVD. Sadly, these will not have 'Comfortably Numb' from Pink Floyd, 'Dream On' (Aerosmith) plus 'And The Cradle Will Rock' (Van Halen)."

Looks like different packages for different countries as well. Laser CD has a set that Inside Out's Europe shop doesn't and vice versa.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4695 on: June 28, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
That's a shame.

They did this without looking into getting clearance first?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4696 on: June 28, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »
That's a shame.

Rights are different for cds and DVDs.  Redemption played Peace Sells on their forthcoming live release from ProgPower.  Nick was up front and said they could release the song on the CD, but have to omit it from the video because of the rights.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4697 on: June 28, 2019, 05:21:13 PM »
INB4 the painfully rabid Portnoy fan base calls VH, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith a bunch of meanines for not letting their hero release a cover of their copyrighted material.  :P

Offline Adami

« Reply #4698 on: June 28, 2019, 05:37:58 PM »
That's a shame.

Rights are different for cds and DVDs.  Redemption played Peace Sells on their forthcoming live release from ProgPower.  Nick was up front and said they could release the song on the CD, but have to omit it from the video because of the rights.

Then why do it? I feel like the whole purpose of this gig was the DVD. It wasn't just a fun gig. Why not just make sure you play songs you can release?

Not a huge deal, just a shame is all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4699 on: June 28, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »
INB4 the painfully rabid Portnoy fan base calls VH, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith a bunch of meanines for not letting their hero release a cover of their copyrighted material.  :P

MP is their hero?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4700 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
That's a shame.

Huh, you learn something new every day. I did not know that (but looking back across my collection, it explains some things, I guess.)   

Just musing out loud, why would it be different, though? 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: June 29, 2019, 09:34:40 AM »
That's a shame.

Then why do it? I feel like the whole purpose of this gig was the DVD. It wasn't just a fun gig. Why not just make sure you play songs you can release?

Not a huge deal, just a shame is all.

Agree

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4702 on: June 29, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »
Yeah, it is a bit odd. Shame, but not a dealbreaker for me. I have enjoyed their debut album enough and due to my love of watching live performances, I think I will get plenty of entertainment out of this one.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4703 on: June 29, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
I think for me the biggest shame is, oddly enough, the VH song. I remember being unimpressed with the line up when it was first announced. But, if I remember correctly, they played a covers show before we got to hear their first album, and I saw a youtube clip of Cradle will Rock and thought they seemed like a really fun band. Granted, the album didn't live up to that, but it would have been cool seeing that professionally filmed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4704 on: June 30, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
I think the rights issue might not be that they didn't get permission but that it was just too expensive. I'm pretty sure anybody can release any song they want and sometimes artists will cut other artists deals, but you gotta pay up.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4705 on: June 30, 2019, 02:40:58 PM »
This is so rediculous!   If I was a successful artist and a band like SOA covered my song, I'd be stoked and take it as a huge compliment.  I know there's alot more logistics involved, but it's such a shame that these songs won't be included on the live release.  Somebody's always gotta pee in the pool..  :tdwn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4706 on: June 30, 2019, 03:09:53 PM »
That's a shame.

Huh, you learn something new every day. I did not know that (but looking back across my collection, it explains some things, I guess.)   

Just musing out loud, why would it be different, though?

I can't really imagine. Maybe some logic that we can't grasp today but it seemed more revelant back in the day when the rule was first applied.... maybe an audio cover is just an audio, something you hear, but visually seeing some guys performing another's piece is "too much" or some bands are fine with just audio reproduction of their material but not with video because video is "more".... something like that maybe?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #4707 on: June 30, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »
This is so rediculous!   If I was a successful artist and a band like SOA covered my song, I'd be stoked and take it as a huge compliment.  I know there's alot more logistics involved, but it's such a shame that these songs won't be included on the live release.  Somebody's always gotta pee in the pool..  :tdwn

I have a feeling this DVD didn't result in Van Halen getting together for a special meeting...

Alex: Okay guys, it's been who knows how many years, but I've brought you all back together for a very important meeting.
DLR: Are we gonna do a reuinion tour?
Michael Anthony: I'm in!
Alex: Huh? No. I said important. This is very VERY important and required all of us to put our differences aside and meet face to face
Eddie: Just tell them Alex...
Alex: Okay, so.....there's this band....I've heard they're the new kings of prog metal. They're called Sons of Apollo...
Michael Anthony: THEY NEED A BASSIST?!? I"M IN!
Eddie: No! They recorded a blu ray and covered And the Cradle Will Rock, and they need our permission to release it..
DLR: Is it good?
Alex: It's....breath taking. Possibly the best rendition in history
Eddie: So can we all agree to bury this? We can't have it. So say we all?
Rest of the band: So say we all!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4708 on: June 30, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
*chuckles in making history*

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4709 on: June 30, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
I can't really imagine. Maybe some logic that we can't grasp today but it seemed more revelant back in the day when the rule was first applied.... maybe an audio cover is just an audio, something you hear, but visually seeing some guys performing another's piece is "too much" or some bands are fine with just audio reproduction of their material but not with video because video is "more".... something like that maybe?
Yeah - people will be able to watch Bumblefoot and Derek play Eddie's parts and learn how to do it themselves!   :P   (Remember, back in their club days, Eddie would turn away from the audience so no one could learn how he was playing his guitar)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4710 on: June 30, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »

I have a feeling this DVD didn't result in Van Halen getting together for a special meeting...

Alex: Okay guys, it's been who knows how many years, but I've brought you all back together for a very important meeting.
DLR: Are we gonna do a reuinion tour?
Michael Anthony: I'm in!
Alex: Huh? No. I said important. This is very VERY important and required all of us to put our differences aside and meet face to face
Eddie: Just tell them Alex...
Alex: Okay, so.....there's this band....I've heard they're the new kings of prog metal. They're called Sons of Apollo...
Michael Anthony: THEY NEED A BASSIST?!? I"M IN!
Eddie: No! They recorded a blu ray and covered And the Cradle Will Rock, and they need our permission to release it..
DLR: Is it good?
Alex: It's....breath taking. Possibly the best rendition in history
Eddie: So can we all agree to bury this? We can't have it. So say we all?
Rest of the band: So say we all!
:lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4711 on: June 30, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »

And there it is...:lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4712 on: July 01, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
Not for nothing, but Michael Anthony would be nowhere near that meeting.  :)   Kidding.

But in all seriousness, it's likely not the artists themselves.   You hear about this a lot:  so-and-so wants to cover a song, so they call the artist themselves for "permission", but it still has to go to the HOLDER OF THE COPYRIGHT.  For example, Paul McCartney does NOT own the rights to the Northern Songs catalogue (that's who published most of the Beatles songs) but DOES own the rights to Buddy Holly's publishing, oddly enough.

I don't know when SOA went for clearances, but as we know now, there were rumblings, confirmed by Michael Anthony recently, that the original band was supposed to be rehearsing right now for a stadium tour this summer.  I can easily see management saying "eh, the time is not right for this".   Remember, they know who SOA are; Billy Sheehan toured the world (twice) with Diamond Dave.    I believe there is a connection between Derek and Eddie as well.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4713 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
It's funny, I got two of my youtube videos removed for copyright.  I've never had this happen before, both were Sons of Apollo.  First last week my progpower video was removed and then it got my Sons of Apollo NYC video:

Due to a copyright claim, your YouTube video has been blocked. This means that your video can no longer be played on YouTube.

Video title: ProgPower USA XIX *cramx3 concert experience* Center Stage Atlanta 2018
Copyrighted content: JSS Solo Spot: The Prophet's Song/Save Me (Live at the Roman Amphitheatre in Plovdiv 2018)
Claimed by: SME

I think it's odd to all of a sudden get copyright claims on a live album that was recorded after the shows I went to and not even released yet (so how is it possible to get a copyright on something not even made yet since it's specific to this new live album).  I'm thinking, the performance sounds so close to what I recorded that an automatical algorithm picked it up thinking it was these new tracks.  I initially thought it was because it was a Queen cover and that would be an issue but the NYC video got taken off for a different song:

Due to a copyright claim, your YouTube video has been blocked. This means that your video can no longer be played on YouTube.

Video title: Sons of Apollo - LIVE @ Playstation Theater New York City NY 5/18/18 *cramx3 concert experience*
Copyrighted content: Labyrinth (Live at the Roman Amphitheatre in Plovdiv 2018)
Claimed by: SME

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4714 on: July 02, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »
Sounds like someone hired a new lawyer who is trying to make his bones.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4715 on: July 02, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
Or someone rattled YouTube's cage enough that they adjusted their settings and temporarily have more people searching for "violations."  It seems to go in waves.  Things have been pretty loose for a little bit now.  Seems like they are maybe overcorrecting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4716 on: July 02, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
Or someone rattled YouTube's cage enough that they adjusted their settings and temporarily have more people searching for "violations."  It seems to go in waves.  Things have been pretty loose for a little bit now.  Seems like they are maybe overcorrecting.

That happened a month or two ago, almost every video I had that didn't have a claim, got one which is fine, that just means any money (if there is) goes to the copyright owner.  This is a first of videos being removed before a release is even done.  I mean there is no way my audio is from Plovdiv either lol Not the end of the world, but it seems like a mistake due to algorithm.  If they said copyright from their album, it would make sense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4717 on: July 02, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »
I'd rather watch Cram's videos than the upcoming symPHONY thing coming out, I can tell you that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4718 on: July 02, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »
I'd rather watch Cram's videos than the upcoming symPHONY thing coming out, I can tell you that.

:lol my video of Alive from NYC is still up.  Looks like others from the same concerts are too from other people.  My audio is too good  :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4719 on: July 02, 2019, 01:45:56 PM »
I looked at the video manager on my youtube account. Most of the videos are tagged now on the back end as "includes copyrighted content," which if clicked on, says that the claimant is allowing it and it is now generating them money. I don't appear to have any blocked. This is the first time I have noticed this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4720 on: July 02, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »

It's not even people most of the time. It's algorithms.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4721 on: July 02, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »

Yup, I'm not sure since this doesn't specifically say a person, but I did have my Misfits videos pulled down specifically by request of "Glenn Danzig" and it was explicit of that. This is quite different as all it said was what I posted.  Apparently I can use the youtube video editor to block out the sound during the reference copyright claim, but I haven't gotten around to successfully getting that to work.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4722 on: July 02, 2019, 03:03:31 PM »

Yup, I'm not sure since this doesn't specifically say a person, but I did have my Misfits videos pulled down specifically by request of "Glenn Danzig" and it was explicit of that. This is quite different as all it said was what I posted.  Apparently I can use the youtube video editor to block out the sound during the reference copyright claim, but I haven't gotten around to successfully getting that to work.

MUTHA!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4723 on: July 02, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »
It was from a show last year with the Misfits which apparently he is contractually obligated to do due to some court settlement  :lol He was so terrible, there was no Mutha more "I've got something to..." mumble as I catch my breathe

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #4724 on: July 04, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »

MUTHA!!!

Tell your children not to upload my vids