Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468326 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4585 on: January 23, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »
I think it has to do with Mike not having a “main” band anymore, he has a different outlet for each style of music. I think he’d be more diverse if he focused on one band like he did with DT at first and got to experiment through different styles/phases with that same band. That’s why most of his DT albums sound very different from one another.

Exactly. I agree that I'd also like to see that all in one band from him, and make that the only, or primary thing. But as I was mentioning above, I think there is a financial/business aspect to it that he doesn't. By separating his playing out by genre among many different groups, he's able to continually be out in the marketplace, building his "brand" in each of those different genres. It may not make him as "interesting," but it does put him across a wide array of genres, and increase his marketability. Obviously, I don't know MP at all, but reading the tea leaves, it seems like marketing and business have something to do with how he has diversified what he does in his post-DT career.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4586 on: January 23, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
I totally agree Samsara, I think money plays a large role here.  For MP to keep the lifestyle he had with DT, he needs to be involved in more releases since none of his bands are currently as big of money makers as DT.  I don't hold this against him though, I applaud people who work as hard as he does.  However, artistically, I do think it makes the releases where he is at creative control a bit of a letdown with this schedule because he is not able to put the time into it to make them the best as possible.  They are "good enough" but I think we all know MP is capable of making extraordinary music and while I've enjoyed a lot of his music, it hasn't been on that level for some time now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4587 on: January 23, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
By separating his playing out by genre among many different groups, he's able to continually be out in the marketplace, building his "brand" in each of those different genres. It may not make him as "interesting," but it does put him across a wide array of genres, and increase his marketability. Obviously, I don't know MP at all, but reading the tea leaves, it seems like marketing and business have something to do with how he has diversified what he does in his post-DT career.

It makes total sense that finances and the business side of things would be a motivator post-DT.  But I think that is likely only part of the picture.  Another is that he is just driven to be involved in lots of different things.  He likes lots of different types of music and likes to be involved playing those different types of music.  It was the same when he was in DT.  At any given moment, regardless of what DT was doing, when there was down time, he would be looking to fill it working on Neal Morse solo material, working on Transatlantic, doing various tribute projects (The Who, The Beatles, Led Zep, Rush), or other collaborations/projects.  Heck, he even recorded a backing vocal track for a Neal Morse project backstage at a festival when he was still with DT.  He just can't help himself. 

I think it would take him landing a REALLY big, well-paying gig where he wasn't in control to really limit him doing lots of other diverse side projects.  For example, if A7X had offered him a permanent spot and put their foot down about him doing other things when they weren't touring, or something else big like that.  And even then, I think he would still do some limited side projects just because he just has to scratch that itch.

EDIT:  At the end of the day, while it is likely that money plays some role, it's hard to say how much of it is that and how much of it is just Mike being Mike and wanting to be involved in as many diverse things as humanly possible.  I'm not so sure he can even answer that.  And like Cram said, there's nothing wrong with that either way.  It just is what it is.  And while it may leave some fans frustrated, at the end of the day, it does ensure that there is a little something out there for everybody.  You have people that would never buy a Sons of Apollo album who love Flying Colors, or people who would never buy a Neal Morse album loving The Winery Dogs, etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:42:59 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4588 on: January 23, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »
I totally agree Samsara, I think money plays a large role here.  For MP to keep the lifestyle he had with DT, he needs to be involved in more releases since none of his bands are currently as big of money makers as DT.  I don't hold this against him though, I applaud people who work as hard as he does.  However, artistically, I do think it makes the releases where he is at creative control a bit of a letdown with this schedule because he is not able to put the time into it to make them the best as possible.  They are "good enough" but I think we all know MP is capable of making extraordinary music and while I've enjoyed a lot of his music, it hasn't been on that level for some time now.

Right. And thus, I assume, the reason why he ends up churning out stuff so quickly (like this last SOA session). Get it done, get on to the next, etc. I get it, applaud the hard work, and I have already mentioned (referring to bosk's comment above) that I know the man is interested in different types of music and driven to do things. But I think the root of the reason for all of this is more the bottom line, rather than the creative side of it all. I'd say a 70-30 split, if I had to put a number on it.

When he was in DT, he wanted those creative outlets for sure. But he also loved his lifestyle, and knew where his bread was buttered. Now, without DT, he realized the absolute NEED to keep continually working, and diversifying to maintain that level of financial stability for him and his family. And because he has such a diverse personality and interest in so many types of music, he took to it like a horse to water, and got the best of both worlds for himself. And you gotta applaud that. But it is, sadly, I think, at the expense of some originality, because his work is now so diverse and split across genres. His playing isn't diverse within one group like it used to be, which was one of the reasons Dream Theater, and MP himself, gained such a following.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4589 on: January 23, 2019, 02:52:43 PM »
To be fair, this 2nd album won't be released until very late 2019 or early 2020. There is still a lot time to tinker and tweak the album. I hope they do. I was disappointed in the studio album, but live, they kicked ass. And with everything being recorded digitally, it can easily be manipulated and change stuff. I mean, that's what MP did this past week...recorded 3 drum tracks for each song, and they they comped out the main drum truck for everyone else to add their parts. If Sherinian and Bumblefoot take their time composing the music and solos behind MP's drum tracks, the album might have a chance to be more successful than SOA1.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4590 on: January 23, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
I think the consensus for those who are concerned about the presumed lack of time writing the new SOA record is that it may be rushed and the album won't be good. Also, if MP has to carve out time for a project it may give the impression that there's lack of focus or care given. Again, we don't know all the details. For all we know, they could have started writing riffs and/or songs while on tour during 2018.

I agree somewhat with the concerns. Fans don't want a dud and I'm sure MP and SOA don't want to make a dud. Brings me to a weird question. Has MP ever done something that he (not fans) thought was a dud and refused to allow it to be released upon completion?

What a twist of irony if the new SOA album is absolutely incredible. Then people will want SOA to stick to that formula of writing material in a seemingly short period.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4591 on: January 23, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »
For all we know, they could have started writing riffs and/or songs while on tour during 2018.

They have gone on record as saying that that is exactly what they did.  There were several comments made during the time they were touring that they were writing and coming up with new material, and had what they felt was almost an album's worth of new material back then.  I don't remember for certain how many of them made comments along those lines, but if memory serves, everybody except Billy said something similar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4592 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
For all we know, they could have started writing riffs and/or songs while on tour during 2018.

They have gone on record as saying that that is exactly what they did.  There were several comments made during the time they were touring that they were writing and coming up with new material, and had what they felt was almost an album's worth of new material back then.  I don't remember for certain how many of them made comments along those lines, but if memory serves, everybody except Billy said something similar.

I thought I remembered reading/hearing that but wasn't sure and I didn't want to put words into anyone's mouth. Thanks for clarifying!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4593 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
What a twist of irony if the new SOA album is absolutely incredible. Then people will want SOA to stick to that formula of writing material in a seemingly short period.

Yup, including myself  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4594 on: January 23, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »

I thought I remembered reading/hearing that but wasn't sure and I didn't want to put words into anyone's mouth. Thanks for clarifying!

I may be overstating how many of them actually said it.  But I do know it was said, and more than once.

Now, obviously, we don't know whether or not it was true.  But that would be bizarre thing to not be truthful about (giving some license, of course, for the fact that they may have exaggerated the amount of material, because that's natural).

That's one of the reasons I alluded to above why I think that a story about how long they spent in studio is irrelevant.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #4595 on: January 23, 2019, 03:34:23 PM »
SO VERY MUCH looking forward to the next studio album (although a year away) and the LIVE album (summer). I absolutely LOVED songs like "God of The Sun", "Coming Home", "Lost In Oblivion" and "Divine Addiction". Hoping for a more "complete" album with number 2!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4596 on: January 23, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
I think most bands write, and then record in the studio. Very few smaller acts can afford to do what DT does - rent out a studio for a few months, and then write/record. So it is no surprised that SOA probably came up with the basic songs well before going into the studio.

So the time spent writing is there, I'm sure. At least from my perspective, that's not the point. It's the point that MP is spread so thin across so many very sub-genre-defined acts, that his drumming is not as...diverse (for lack of a better term) as it was before. Whereas before it was a stew, that you got elements of so much in so many of the DT songs, and now its like - Oh, that's chicken soup, that's tomato soup, that's new england clam chowder. (Not that I'd want to mix soups, but you get the bad analogy.)

I am also looking forward to SOA 2. Like many, I thought the album was average, but very much enjoyed the live show. Hoping some of that energy finds its way to the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4597 on: January 23, 2019, 03:40:20 PM »
Well, mulligatawny takes a long time to get the flavor right.  Broccoli cheddar generally does not.  But BOTH are good with pita chips.  See what I'm getting at?  That's MY point. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4598 on: January 23, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
I don't know. The first SOA was more like broth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4599 on: January 23, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »
I mean broth can be tasty, though it can be bland at times if done improperly.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4600 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:38 PM »
I'm also looking forward to album 2, because I only like 5 songs from PS and want other few from the 2nd to actually make an album worth of material that I like from them :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4601 on: January 23, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
I'm also looking forward to album 2, because I only like 5 songs from PS and want other few from the 2nd to actually make an album worth of material that I like from them :lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4602 on: January 23, 2019, 08:45:18 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. :lol

I do it all the time :lol :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4603 on: January 24, 2019, 06:41:13 AM »
I thought the first album was just ‘alright’ with a few cool moments. Two of my older sons really dug it so I bought us all tickets and we went to the show. The live show was great.....I was extremely impressed by every member of the band (other than Derick who looked and acted like he’d rather be anywhere else but there)

But JSS, Bumblefoot....MP and Billy.....those guys know how to put on a show and we had a blast. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good JSS sounded live and his showmanship was what every singer should strive for. And, I had no idea that Bumblefoot was THAT good.

Anyway....I don’t expect their sophomore album to knock me off my feet. I expect it’ll be like the first one.....servicable with some killer moments sprinkled throughout. If they come back through St. Louis I’ll go see them but I don’t anticipate me making a road trip for them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4604 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:56 AM »
Well, mulligatawny takes a long time to get the flavor right.  Broccoli cheddar generally does not.  But BOTH are good with pita chips.  See what I'm getting at?  That's MY point.

That you're a pita chip - crunchy, needs some sort of dip/fluid to make it tolerable?  :lol :lol

j/k, j/k

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4605 on: January 24, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »

That you're a pita chip - crunchy, needs some sort of dip/fluid to make it tolerable?  :lol :lol

j/k, j/k

If I'm the pita chip in that scenario, then you are the dip I hang out with.  :p

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4606 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
Pita chips are an abomination. 

Bring it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4607 on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »

Bring it.

Wut? You mean to say you don't enjoy getting stabbed in the mouth with hard as rock bread chips?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4608 on: January 24, 2019, 08:49:22 AM »

Bring it.

they are so good with hooommus though

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #4609 on: January 24, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
If we are going with food comparisons then I would say Psychotic Symphony is like McDonald's. Really great when you have a nice buzz going on. But, when you are sober, it's certainly not your first choice and leaves you feeling greasy with a lot of empty calories - however, if you have nothing better to choose from, it will hold you over until you find something more fulfilling and nutritious.

With that said, I am feeling more optimistic about Big Mac 2.0 - even though all signs are pointing to it being prepared the same way the original Big Mac was.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4610 on: January 24, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »

Bring it.

they are so good with hooommus though

That’s it. You just made the list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4611 on: January 24, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
 :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4612 on: February 02, 2019, 12:22:15 PM »
To be fair, this 2nd album won't be released until very late 2019 or early 2020. There is still a lot time to tinker and tweak the album. I hope they do. I was disappointed in the studio album, but live, they kicked ass. And with everything being recorded digitally, it can easily be manipulated and change stuff. I mean, that's what MP did this past week...recorded 3 drum tracks for each song, and they they comped out the main drum truck for everyone else to add their parts. If Sherinian and Bumblefoot take their time composing the music and solos behind MP's drum tracks, the album might have a chance to be more successful than SOA1.

That's what was done with Neal Morse's latest and I haven't quite figured out the impact, if any, on that yet.

I'm more of a fan of the old fashioned (and probably financially unsustainable) organic way of doing things but if swapping files from thousands of miles away is the only option try to make it as humane as possible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4613 on: February 02, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »
So far, Viper King is their best song.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4614 on: February 07, 2019, 02:55:05 AM »

I see what you did there! SoA might be pissed that DT is making better SoA music than SoA tmeselves. :biggrin:

B.Lee

Note : I haven't listened to Viper King.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4615 on: February 07, 2019, 04:51:06 AM »

If only Jeff sang on this.. :censored

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4616 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:30 AM »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4617 on: February 07, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
Yeah, can't understand the hype surrounding JSS. He once was a good singer but is now average imo. Singing in place of JLB? No way!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4618 on: February 07, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
He's average now?  Sounded fantastic the two times I saw him live last year. I don't want him to replace JLB or anything, but JSS is not average.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4619 on: February 07, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
I agree with Cram