Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467634 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4410 on: October 05, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
Mike said the filming is just for some backup footage for his band archives. Sounds like it won't be released.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4411 on: October 05, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
Twenty cameras for "backup footage"? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4412 on: October 05, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
Mike said the filming is just for some backup footage for his band archives. Sounds like it won't be released.

So for release when SOA is in the past and they are looking to milk it some more?  I dont understand the cost of filming a concert just for archives. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4413 on: October 05, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »

So for release when SOA is in the past and they are looking to milk it some more?  I dont understand the cost of filming a concert just for archives.

My bet is that they'll release it when SOA is inactive for a couple years while Mike is doing something else.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #4414 on: October 05, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
The thing that stood out for me watching the show, is MP being the least entertaining bandmember. Really taking a backseat and playing his parts. Releasing this footage to overbridge next year, or adding it to the bluray for Plovdiv to show a "club" concert might be a good idea.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4415 on: October 05, 2018, 01:56:46 PM »

My bet is that they'll release it when SOA is inactive for a couple years while Mike is doing something else.

So...next year?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4416 on: October 05, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »

I think he will pull a Neal Morse...he has done it lately with NMB and Similitude of a Dream and did it with Transatlantic (2 live releases from each tour).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4417 on: October 05, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
The thing that stood out for me watching the show, is MP being the least entertaining bandmember. Really taking a backseat and playing his parts.

Was kind of surprised by this as well when I saw them in Orlando earlier in the year. With DT, I think it is fair to say the rest of the guys were quiet/introvert and just concnetrated on the playing. And JLB wasn't really a frontman during the MP years. It was more of MP taking that role.

With SoA, I think JSS does a good job of handling the crowd. I guess there's no need of hogging the "frontman" gig with SoA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4418 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
It could simply be a cause of him getting older and not having as much energy at every live show.  I saw the Neal Morse Band three times last year and he looked fairly subdued at all three shows (relative to the energy he used to have back in the day when I saw Dream Theater).  I suspect that is fairly normal, as Father Time gets us all, and no matter how active you are and how good a shape you are in, it is nearly impossible to maintain the same energy level in your 40's and 50's that you had in your 20's and 30's.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4419 on: October 06, 2018, 06:41:56 AM »
I suspect that is fairly normal, as Father Time gets us all, and no matter how active you are and how good a shape you are in, it is nearly impossible to maintain the same energy level in your 40's and 50's that you had in your 20's and 30's.

That's what I tell myself when I play tennis against my 16-year-old son.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4420 on: October 06, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
It could simply be a cause of him getting older and not having as much energy at every live show.  I saw the Neal Morse Band three times last year and he looked fairly subdued at all three shows (relative to the energy he used to have back in the day when I saw Dream Theater).  I suspect that is fairly normal, as Father Time gets us all, and no matter how active you are and how good a shape you are in, it is nearly impossible to maintain the same energy level in your 40's and 50's that you had in your 20's and 30's.

Unless you're Bruce Springsteen.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4421 on: October 06, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »

Unless you're Bruce Springsteen. Dickinson

Another example.  I'm not entirely sure it's age, I think he just isn't the main attraction in SOA IMO, not a knock on him, just that BB and JSS really steal the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4422 on: October 06, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »
Sure, there are exceptions, but I think what I said holds up as a general rule.  Plus, when you think about how taxing drummer is, with all four limbs going every which way for 2+ hours a night, that would age anybody.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4423 on: October 06, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »

Unless you're Bruce Springsteen. Dickinson

Another example.  I'm not entirely sure it's age, I think he just isn't the main attraction in SOA IMO, not a knock on him, just that BB and JSS really steal the show.

JSS I get, but who is BB : Billy Beehan, BumbleBoot or Berek Berinian? :biggrin:
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4424 on: October 06, 2018, 02:54:42 PM »
 :rollin bumblebee I guess

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4425 on: October 06, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »
Billy Bumblefoot.

Both of them holding double-necks is confusing so you merged them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4426 on: October 06, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »
Two necks at the same time, man.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #4427 on: October 06, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »

Hey Peter, man. Check out this band! It's the new kings of prog!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4428 on: October 07, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »

Hey Peter, man. Check out this band! It's the new kings of prog!

Awesome, deep reference. Love it!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4429 on: October 07, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
I gotta wake my ass up at 6 AM every day this week, drag up to Las Colinas. Yeah I'm doin' the drywall up there at the new McDonald's.  :lol For some reason that's one of my favorite lines in the whole movie, that entire scene is classic.

"Nah... nah, man. Hell nah. I believe you get your ass kicked sayin' something like that."
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4430 on: October 07, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
I gotta wake my ass up at 6 AM every day this week, drag up to Las Colinas. Yeah I'm doin' the drywall up there at the new McDonald's.  :lol For some reason that's one of my favorite lines in the whole movie, that entire scene is classic.

"Nah... nah, man. Hell nah. I believe you get your ass kicked sayin' something like that."

That's a great movie... it's a shame that the ending seems so rushed.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #4431 on: October 08, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
Saw them live at ProgPower Europa. I agree with a lot of you that the album was a little underwhelming but they kick some serious ass live.
Great sound and lots of energy, especially JSS & Bumblefoot who have a great connection on stage.
One of the best shows I've seen this year.

I really think this can work longtime IF they are committed. Don't wait another year but start writing and recording while you have build some momentum.
Do another clubtour in spring 2019 with some festivals in the summer.

In the end they have to decide whether it's a real band or just another project, especially MP I guess.
I would love to Bumblefoot and JSS continue. BS en MP are replaceable IMHO, don't know about DS.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4432 on: October 08, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

In the end they have to decide whether it's a real band or just another project, especially MP I guess.
I would love to Bumblefoot and JSS continue. BS en MP are replaceable IMHO, don't know about DS.
Maybe, but who in their right mind would want to replace MP on drums, or BS on bass?  I guess the only reason would be that they are spread too thin with other projects. I think the band would suffer without MP as he has good compositional skills and is very creative..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4433 on: October 08, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »

Maybe, but who in their right mind would want to replace MP on drums, or BS on bass?  I guess the only reason would be that they are spread too thin with other projects. I think the band would suffer without MP as he has good compositional skills and is very creative..

Replacing MP in SOA isn't a tough task. Same with BS. In other bands? Sure, huge issue. But this band? a ton of drummers/bassists can do the exact same job, if not better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4434 on: October 09, 2018, 05:54:08 AM »

Replacing MP in SOA isn't a tough task. Same with BS. In other bands? Sure, huge issue. But this band? a ton of drummers/bassists can do the exact same job, if not better.

That would seriously erase the last reason for me to listen to SoA. I have no desire to listen to some generic hard rock music unless it has at least MPs great, characteristic drumming in it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #4435 on: October 09, 2018, 07:01:44 AM »
He's got nowhere else to go though. Could you imagine him starting another band and trying to gain any momentum knowing that TWD, SoA, and AM were all ended prematurely? He's got to know that SoA is basically his last resort and the only thing he could do otherwise is join a band that already has a pre-existing audience like he did with A7X.

Online Adami

« Reply #4436 on: October 09, 2018, 07:04:53 AM »
He's got nowhere else to go though. Could you imagine him starting another band and trying to gain any momentum knowing that TWD, SoA, and AM were all ended prematurely? He's got to know that SoA is basically his last resort and the only thing he could do otherwise is join a band that already has a pre-existing audience like he did with A7X.

I feel like he'll do both. Not a band anywhere near as big as A7X, probably more like when he played with Twisted Sister. But he'll definitely try to form another new band at some point in the next 5 years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4437 on: October 09, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »

I feel like he'll do both. Not a band anywhere near as big as A7X, probably more like when he played with Twisted Sister. But he'll definitely try to form another new band at some point in the next 5 years.

A lot can happen in 5 years so that is definitely a possibility but I kind of agree with DTA, that SOA does feel like a last resort for a new MP project at this time.  MP can fall back to TWD and NMB during their break, but I think he kind of needs to stick with SOA for another album and tour at minimum to not take any further damage to his reputation for leaving bands.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4438 on: October 09, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »
Maybe MP is the one who needed a creative hiatus... hm.  :justjen

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #4439 on: October 09, 2018, 07:33:02 AM »

I feel like he'll do both. Not a band anywhere near as big as A7X, probably more like when he played with Twisted Sister. But he'll definitely try to form another new band at some point in the next 5 years months.

Fixed.

Online Adami

« Reply #4440 on: October 09, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
Well, I feel like he's pretty busy for the next 2 years or so with other bands. So I said 5 years cause he hasn't (yet) projected that far out.

I also feel like the next new band we get will attempt to be more "classic prog" as opposed to all the metal stuff he's trying to do these days. And when I say classic prog, I mean like 70's era mixed with some modern influences. Just a hunch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #4441 on: October 09, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
Well, I feel like he's pretty busy for the next 2 years or so with other bands. So I said 5 years cause he hasn't (yet) projected that far out.

I also feel like the next new band we get will attempt to be more "classic prog" as opposed to all the metal stuff he's trying to do these days. And when I say classic prog, I mean like 70's era mixed with some modern influences. Just a hunch.

Hah, yeah I was just kidding around, you're probably spot on.

Interesting take on the "classic prog" band, he might form something like that - or would he just reunite Transatlantic for another album?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4442 on: October 09, 2018, 07:44:47 AM »
It's actually gonna be called the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Online Adami

« Reply #4443 on: October 09, 2018, 07:46:11 AM »

Hah, yeah I was just kidding around, you're probably spot on.

Interesting take on the "classic prog" band, he might form something like that - or would he just reunite Transatlantic for another album?

I mean, he might do both. But when I say a new classic prog band, I feel like it'll be a brand new "super group." Not sure who, but there's gotta be plenty of guys in their 50's/60's that he can wrangle up for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4444 on: October 09, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »
I'm a Mike guy, and want to be as supportive and positive as I can, but I don't see him moving in a more "prog" direction; I don't see him at 65 dressed in white and doing a "Jon Anderson" or a Bill Bruford.   I see this going in a different direction, striving every year to show more and more the "METAL CRED!"    I hope and pray I'm wrong, because I just don't want to see him as that guy who's played in every half-ass LA metal band, who's still got the leather cowboy/police hat, the bad facial hair, the full sleeve, the forty chains around his neck pretending that it's still 1987.