Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468384 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4375 on: September 27, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
I really enjoyed Sons of Apollo live, more than I enjoy their actual record. I'll be buying the live release for my collection. My hope is, the time on the road and camaraderie between them lead to a better second studio album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kocak

« Reply #4376 on: September 27, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
I hope they don't rush the second album so that we get to see the real potential of this band.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4377 on: September 28, 2018, 05:55:08 AM »
I hope they don't rush the second album so that we get to see the real potential of this band.

That's impossible with MP on board. He prefers to bang these things out just to have another "product" to tour behind, thus leading to all his projects starting to sound the same nowadays.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #4378 on: September 28, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »

That's impossible with MP on board. He prefers to bang these things out just to have another "product" to tour behind, thus leading to all his projects starting to sound the same nowadays.

Well, then this band is doomed as well. I give it one more tour before MP declares the band "commercially unviable".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4379 on: September 28, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
If you mean "doomed" to write another really good album, I agree. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4380 on: September 28, 2018, 01:22:37 PM »

Well, then this band is doomed as well. I give it one more tour before MP declares the band "commercially unviable".

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #4381 on: September 28, 2018, 01:23:05 PM »
well, JSS said in an interview that the new record wouldn't come out in 2019, because of scheduling conflicts making touring soon after release impossible.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4383 on: September 28, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »
well, JSS said in an interview that the new record wouldn't come out in 2019, because of scheduling conflicts making touring soon after release impossible.
Really, wow... :tdwn Do you have the link? If it's really the case, I think it's the first concrete bad sign about the future of SoA. If I remember correctly, someone of the band stated in another interview (an older one) that the band would put a lot of effort in the first 2 years (2018 and 2019) to see if things take off for them. If now they already decided kind of skip 2019 (at least for touring), definately it isn't a good sign IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4384 on: September 28, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »
Really, wow... :tdwn Do you have the link? If it's really the case, I think it's the first concrete bad sign about the future of SoA. If I remember correctly, someone of the band stated in another interview (an older one) that the band would put a lot of effort in the first 2 years (2018 and 2019) to see if things take off for them. If now they already decided kind of skip 2019 (at least for touring), definately it isn't a good sign IMO.

It's somewhere in this thread.  They plan on recording the album in 2019, but don't think it would be released until early 2020 because they would want to tour immediately instead of waiting until after JSS's commitments to TSO.  So I wouldn't say its a bad sign about the future, I'd say it's positive that they are talking about a follow up album.  But that does leave most of 2019 for the rest of the band to do other things, which could lead to more questions about the future I guess like say if TWD get back to work on another album.  But who knows.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4385 on: September 28, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »
Does that mean MP can go and do some Flying Colors and Transatlantic? That's totally fine
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #4386 on: September 28, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
sounds cool to me, though the sea within is also trying to tour. They now left out Daniel Gildenlow completely from the bandmember list. XD

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4387 on: September 28, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, cramx3.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4388 on: September 28, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
Actually, I believe they said that everyone was setting aside all of 2018 for SoA - specifically to tour. I don't recall him making the statement that 2019 would be fully dedicated to SoA as well. And given all the other bands/projects that not only MP, but the other guys have going on, I don't think that's unreasonable nor is that a bad sign. Perhaps they'll fall into a pattern of one year being focused on SoA, and the next being focused on other things.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4389 on: September 28, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »
sounds cool to me, though the sea within is also trying to tour. They now left out Daniel Gildenlow completely from the bandmember list. XD

Hope Casey joins full time if Daniel leaves the band.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4390 on: September 28, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Does that mean MP can go and do some Flying Colors and Transatlantic? That's totally fine

With the Neal Morse Band releasing a new album (most likely) at the start of 2019 and likely to tour a lot after that, I have to think that that will occupy quite a bit of Portnoy's time in 2019. 

Neal said last week in the Inner Circle email that Flying Colors will get together in December this year with the hopes of releasing their 3rd album sometime in 2019.

Transatlantic is clearly on the backburner for now and I wouldn't count on anything from them any time soon unless they give us something definitive news-wise. Neal didn't even address them in his long Inner Circle email (which covered Morsefest and his plans for the near-future). 

Offline Kocak

« Reply #4391 on: September 28, 2018, 04:59:14 PM »
If you mean "doomed" to write another really good album, I agree.

Not quite what I mean.
In any case, we'll see what the future holds for these five people.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4392 on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
I'll probably be buying it because the band puts on a pretty good show, and I would like to see that again (despite the unfortunate fact that doing so is putting money in Derek's pockets).  The covers and orchestra are just a nice bonus.
Have I missed something he's done since his unfortunate statements round the release of the album, or is it just that?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4393 on: September 28, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
Perhaps they'll fall into a pattern of one year being focused on SoA, and the next being focused on other things.

Nothing like setting yourselves up as the new KINGS OF PROG METAL and then taking a year of to "focus on other things." Guess once established the kingdom will be able to survive on its own.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4394 on: September 28, 2018, 05:31:30 PM »
I'll probably be buying it because the band puts on a pretty good show, and I would like to see that again (despite the unfortunate fact that doing so is putting money in Derek's pockets).  The covers and orchestra are just a nice bonus.
Have I missed something he's done since his unfortunate statements round the release of the album, or is it just that?

Welcome back, and no, I don't think he's done much more damage since then.  He's been pretty quiet for awhile now with regards to shit talking. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4395 on: September 28, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
Perhaps they'll fall into a pattern of one year being focused on SoA, and the next being focused on other things.

Nothing like setting yourselves up as the new KINGS OF PROG METAL and then taking a year of to "focus on other things." Guess once established the kingdom will be able to survive on its own.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair, though.  Mike doesn't work on the usual cycle.   Most bands - Kings of their genre or not - are not putting out albums every year. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4396 on: September 28, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »

I'm not sure that's entirely fair, though.  Mike doesn't work on the usual cycle.   Most bands - Kings of their genre or not - are not putting out albums every year.

Agreed.  This argument would become more valid if there was an extended period of inactivity which based on the little info we have is not going to be the case.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4397 on: September 29, 2018, 03:20:26 AM »
Actually, I would love to hear Figaro's Whore arranged for full orchestra and choir. Make it 30 minutes. Throw in some Tallis influence in there as well. Have MP and DS write Gregorian chants with lyrics about sucking on balls and stuff.

I'm in.
That would have been definitely better and more interesting than playing covers.  ;D

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4398 on: September 29, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
Looks like no orchestra/choir for the encore. So the only SoA song with all that is Labyrinth (and technically the keyboard diddle, for what that's worth).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4399 on: September 30, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »

Because honestly, I feel like it's just a way to repackage their album and try and sell it again. Oooohhhhh an orchestra! Do they think we are that stupid? And we're going to do covers because we don't have anything else. This is Queensryche territory. I feel sorry for this. I won't behoove any of them from making a living, but I have zero respect for this.

One thing that everyone has seen them has said, even if they weren't impressed with the album was how blown away they were with their live performance. I might entertain a live cd from some sweaty club. At least that's real.

Perhaps.  I have the album. Not blown away by it. It's OK. (Maybe a 4, 5, or 6 if I thought any about it.)

I knew they would be better live, but I wasn't willing to invest the time an effort to get to either of the shows I would have gone to (One on each leg) because I knew it wasn't going to have any memorable lasting impact on me.

At least with this live album, I know I'm going to get a road tested band and I'll (likely) have better versions of these songs which I might enjoy more than I currently do.

I won't preorder this, but I'll probably pick it up eventually like I did the studio album. If they enjoyed this as much as they say they did, it should show up in the recording and that would be a bonus for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4400 on: September 30, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
I will definitely give a listen to the live versions of the album tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4401 on: September 30, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
Wasn't it pretty well attended?  And aren't there a lot of people saying they look forward to buying it?  I'm not sure how that amounts to there being no buzz about it.  Not sure why people have to pretend like this is some objective travesty just because they personally aren't interested.

What's an objective travesty? What's the definition of that?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4402 on: September 30, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
Wasn't it pretty well attended?  And aren't there a lot of people saying they look forward to buying it?  I'm not sure how that amounts to there being no buzz about it.  Not sure why people have to pretend like this is some objective travesty just because they personally aren't interested. 

My name is not people!!  ;D

I’ll come at it another way tonight when I have a keyboard.

Is there any other way to come at it?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #4403 on: October 05, 2018, 06:27:23 AM »
So the show last night in De Boerderij was filmed, anyone know if this will show up somewhere?

setlist.fm is wrong btw, they also played Hell's Kitchen..

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4404 on: October 05, 2018, 06:53:45 AM »
Professionally filmed? If so, cool! It will be maybe a bonus material for the DVD or an official bootleg, no? And it will be good to watch the band in his more natural environment, so to speak.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4405 on: October 05, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
So the show last night in De Boerderij was filmed, anyone know if this will show up somewhere?

setlist.fm is wrong btw, they also played Hell's Kitchen..

They said it was filmed or you saw cameras?  Maybe for a music video or bonus video for their DVD they filmed a couple weeks ago.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #4406 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:17 AM »
pretty much all stationary cameras, i counted about 20, and there was one guy in front of the stage with a handicam. Soto did mention it, but couldn't say anything about it really.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4407 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:20 AM »
Didn't Mike mention the filming in a tweet?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4408 on: October 05, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »
Professionally filmed? If so, cool! It will be maybe a bonus material for the DVD or an official bootleg, no? And it will be good to watch the band in his more natural environment, so to speak.

Would definitely get this if released.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4409 on: October 05, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »

I've already seen the real potential of this band.  The only question is, will they run with it?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White