Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468348 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4340 on: September 26, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
Yeah, but like, does the world really need another half-baked Comfortably Numb cover, seriously, nobody but Pink Floyd has ever nailed the true vibe that song is supposed to create

I came here to say I appreciate the hell out of this post.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4341 on: September 26, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, the Heart version of "The Battle of Evermore" is also pretty unlistenable because they play it so damned slow.  Why?  It's not a hard song.  It doesn't gain any gravitas.  It's just too damned slow. 

Huh I haven't heard any of their other LZ covers, but would say I might prefer their Battle of Evermore to the original. I think it is that good. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4342 on: September 26, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
Ann Wilson is amazing, and most Heart covers of Led Zeppelin songs are pretty great.  But as much as I'd love to love their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" from the Kennedy Center Honors broadcast, I can't, because for some reason they chose to cut out a verse or two.  I don't remember which or where, because I've never gone back and re-watched it, but I remember clearly singing along with it, and suddenly... WTF?  We're not there yet!

I get it, it's a long song.  So you cut it from 8 minutes to 7 1/2, which is basically negligible in this context, but destroy the integrity of the song?  Sorry, that's just wrong.  Excellent performance otherwise, but it's like hearing the edited version of a favorite song on the radio.  Someone decided it was okay to just cut this part out.  No, it is not okay.  If you're going to play the song, you play the song.  You don't just play most of it.

Actually, now that I think about it, the Heart version of "The Battle of Evermore" is also pretty unlistenable because they play it so damned slow.  Why?  It's not a hard song.  It doesn't gain any gravitas.  It's just too damned slow.  Their version of "Rock and Roll" is great, though.

Well, the thing is that it is a televised broadcast and that Led Zeppelin was not the only ones that was getting the Kennedy Center Honors (I believe David Letterman was also honored that year as well).  Also, Heart was not the only ones that was doing the "abridged" version of Zeppelin songs on that night.  Foo Fighters did Rock and Roll.  Lenny Kravitz did Whole Lotta Love.  Only so much you can fit for a tv slot broadcast and it was not like the broadcast were honoring Led Zeppelin throughout the whole slot.  Doesn't make it right, however.  I, too, am for playing songs in full as it is meant to be, but I can understand the rationale behind it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4343 on: September 26, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »
Since we are on about LZ covers...

I saw Jason Bonham's LZ Experience over the summer (they opened for Foreigner and Whitesnake, awesome concert) and I found them pretty good too.  Pretty much sounded exactly like LZ.  I mean, no one is going to be LZ, but in terms of just playing the songs and trying to sound just like it, I say they did a good job.  Over The Hills and Far Away

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4344 on: September 26, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
We are getting pretty far off topic now.  Can we please take the LZ convo to the Maiden thread where it belongs?  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4345 on: September 26, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »
We are getting pretty far off topic now.  Can we please take the LZ convo to the Maiden thread where it belongs?  Thanks.

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4346 on: September 26, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »
Just changed my vote on SS from 7 to 8.  Not a single song on this album that I don't like.  Congrats to MP, DS and the rest of the guys for some really good work.

:clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4347 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
Ann Wilson is amazing, and most Heart covers of Led Zeppelin songs are pretty great.  But as much as I'd love to love their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" from the Kennedy Center Honors broadcast, I can't, because for some reason they chose to cut out a verse or two.  I don't remember which or where, because I've never gone back and re-watched it, but I remember clearly singing along with it, and suddenly... WTF?  We're not there yet!

I get it, it's a long song.  So you cut it from 8 minutes to 7 1/2, which is basically negligible in this context, but destroy the integrity of the song?  Sorry, that's just wrong.  Excellent performance otherwise, but it's like hearing the edited version of a favorite song on the radio.  Someone decided it was okay to just cut this part out.  No, it is not okay.  If you're going to play the song, you play the song.  You don't just play most of it.

This. So much this. The cuts prevent it from being the second best ever version of Stairway in existance (the first is the original of course).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4348 on: September 26, 2018, 01:41:48 PM »
I respect both positions, but seeing as it took me about four listens to note any significant divergence, I'm saying it doesn't matter.  I was also very moved by the circumstances, and the emotion shown by the principals.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4349 on: September 26, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
I guess we have different definitions of "significant divergence".  The performance itself was otherwise excellent, but I consider cutting out entire sections of a song to be a significant divergence.  Again, I know it's a long song, but I figured even casual Led Zeppelin fans know all the words, and would know immediately when something's been cut.

But maybe not.  I've played the song maybe a dozen times with various bands, and I think the drummer has not come in early twice.  We're just jamming, or it's a party and thus relatively low-key, but I just want to scream "You idiot!  You know that that's not where the drums come in!  You're a fucking drummer!  How can you not know that?"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4350 on: September 26, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
Yeah, but like, does the world really need another half-baked Comfortably Numb cover, seriously, nobody but Pink Floyd has ever nailed the true vibe that song is supposed to create

Preach; that's how I feel about virtually every Zeppelin cover ever (and why Heart's version of Stairway at the Kennedy Center was so good).   99.5% of bands do NOT get the essence of Zeppelin, and resort to volume or thud, and that's not it (it's the tempo. It's all in the fluidity of the tempo).  But I know many people disagree with me, and so there you go.  They can TRY. 

A little off topic but one band that does get the essence of Led Zepplin is Train. When I saw them cover all of Led zep II live and it was amazing.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4351 on: September 26, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »
Are we forgetting....

We're getting to hear Hells Kitchen and Lines in The Sand with an Orchestra and Choir.

I just find it odd they're not playing most of their Originals with the orchestra and choir. That's what I see people are upset about, just covers and one/two original if you count Figaros Whore of their songs with an orchestra.

Was it advertised as "Covers with an Orchestra"?

I don't mind they did this. I'll likely check out Labyrinth as that is my favorite from the album and with an orchestra should kick ass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4352 on: September 26, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »
Actually, I would love to hear Figaro's Whore arranged for full orchestra and choir. Make it 30 minutes. Throw in some Tallis influence in there as well. Have MP and DS write Gregorian chants with lyrics about sucking on balls and stuff.

I'm in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4353 on: September 26, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
I just find it odd they're not playing most of their Originals with the orchestra and choir.

Why do Sign of the Times, Coming Home, Opus Maximus, Lost into Oblivion and Divine Addiction even need an orchestra anyway? either completely rearrange the song or leave rock songs as rock songs, what's the point in hearing the song exactly as it is but with violins doubling the guitars?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4354 on: September 26, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »
Because everybody knows sax and violins sells.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4355 on: September 26, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »
I just find it odd they're not playing most of their Originals with the orchestra and choir.

Why do Sign of the Times, Coming Home, Opus Maximus, Lost into Oblivion and Divine Addiction even need an orchestra anyway? either completely rearrange the song or leave rock songs as rock songs, what's the point in hearing the song exactly as it is but with violins doubling the guitars?

Well they don't. But usually, the bands that played their with that orchestra all played their own songs. Anathema, Opeth, Devin Townsend.

But yeah, whatever. If the opportunity arises why not. I won't be buying, but I'm sure quite a few people will buy this just because of those covers being played with an orchestra.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4356 on: September 26, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »
I'll probably be buying it because the band puts on a pretty good show, and I would like to see that again (despite the unfortunate fact that doing so is putting money in Derek's pockets).  The covers and orchestra are just a nice bonus.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4357 on: September 26, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
IT'S SIGNS OF THE TIME!  IT'S SIGNS OF THE TIME!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4358 on: September 26, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »

Because honestly, I feel like it's just a way to repackage their album and try and sell it again. Oooohhhhh an orchestra! Do they think we are that stupid? And we're going to do covers because we don't have anything else. This is Queensryche territory. I feel sorry for this. I won't behoove any of them from making a living, but I have zero respect for this.

One thing that everyone has seen them has said, even if they weren't impressed with the album was how blown away they were with their live performance. I might entertain a live cd from some sweaty club. At least that's real.

The covers and orchestra are just a nice bonus.

I don't think it's a bonus. I think it's deceptively distracting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4359 on: September 26, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »
I won't behoove any of them from making a living

I have no idea what this sentence means.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4360 on: September 26, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
It means that if that’s what they need to do, I don’t want to criticize it. Kind of like QR. They do what they need to do. I mean these are grown men. I’m not going to tell them how to do their business.

Just to me, musically, like QR, the whole thing lacks integrity, for lack of a better word. By having an orchestra, in Hungary, of all places, it just reeks of trying to create buzz where there isnt any. 

Like I said, the live shows have been well received. Have confidence in that and release that. We don’t need an orchestra to further water down already watered down material.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4361 on: September 26, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
It means that if that’s what they need to do, I don’t want to criticize it. Kind of like QR. They do what they need to do. I mean these are grown men. I’m not going to tell them how to do their business.

Then I am really confused about your word choice.  https://www.google.com/search?q=behoove&rlz=1C1QJDB_enUS800US800&oq=behoove&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1407j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4362 on: September 26, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
I'm guessing 'begrudge' was the word he intended to use.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4363 on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »

Then I am really confused about your word choice.  https://www.google.com/search?q=behoove&rlz=1C1QJDB_enUS800US800&oq=behoove&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1407j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wasn't an English major! :lol

I'm guessing 'begrudge' was the word he intended to use.

Yes, thank you. That is it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4364 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
By having an orchestra, in Hungary, of all places, it just reeks of trying to create buzz where there isnt any. 

I kind of get the whiff of this, too.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4365 on: September 26, 2018, 06:13:55 PM »
I'm personally very excited for this upcoming blu-ray! The Seattle show was so good that it left me hoping that they would capture this tour on film at some point.  I have no problem with the covers, plus the venue itself is classy and calls for an orchestra. It looks like they had a great turnout for the concert too. This should be pretty epic..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »

Apparently you weren't a Geography major too, as I think the show was in Bulgaria, not Hungary. :lol

I agree with your point though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4367 on: September 27, 2018, 01:12:16 AM »

I actually wondered where the plural was, I can never remember it  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4368 on: September 27, 2018, 05:56:36 AM »

Apparently you weren't a Geography major too, as I think the show was in Bulgaria, not Hungary. :lol

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4369 on: September 27, 2018, 06:20:34 AM »

I actually wondered where the plural was, I can never remember it  ;D

I just use the mnemonic:  what's the most difficult, least logical way of saying that?  BOOM!       ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4370 on: September 27, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »
Wasn't it pretty well attended?  And aren't there a lot of people saying they look forward to buying it?  I'm not sure how that amounts to there being no buzz about it.  Not sure why people have to pretend like this is some objective travesty just because they personally aren't interested. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:36:36 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4371 on: September 27, 2018, 09:27:49 AM »
Wasn't it pretty well attended?  And aren't there a lot of people saying they look forward to buying it?  I'm not sure how that amounts to there being no buzz about it.  Not sure why people have to pretend like this is some objective travesty just because they personally aren't interested.
I wish there was a "like" button so I could use it for this comment..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4372 on: September 27, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »

My name is not people!!  ;D

I’ll come at it another way tonight when I have a keyboard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4373 on: September 27, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »

I’ll come at it another way tonight when I have a keyboard.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4374 on: September 27, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
Actually, I would love to hear Figaro's Whore arranged for full orchestra and choir. Make it 30 minutes. Throw in some Tallis influence in there as well. Have MP and DS write Gregorian chants with lyrics about sucking on balls and stuff.

I'm in.

Marry Me
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"