Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468086 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4200 on: August 25, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
Hahaha...what did he expect making it an open poll. He should've made a list.

He probably thought the "haters" would troll the poll with DT songs from the last three albums...and let's face it, they probably would have. :lol :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4201 on: August 25, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
Have they held that fan poll that was supposed to determine which cover songs they'll play at the Plovdiv show yet?

I saw MP saying that they scrapped this idea and he chose the cover songs himself instead.
Ah, fair enough.
Well, the top three vote getters when he shut the poll down were:

"Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar"
"Sailing On The Seas Of Cheese"
"Our New World"
:clap:

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #4202 on: September 07, 2018, 03:16:12 AM »
The probability that this band will also be history is quite large, should they continue, more development is required and much is too boring. I guess this will die out.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4203 on: September 15, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
JSS saying they will record album #2 in 2019

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jeff-scott-soto-says-sons-of-apollo-will-record-sophomore-album-in-2019/

I really like this quote from him though, he recognizes it's not just about the names but they got to put it all together.  Maybe they can make that leap with the next album.  I think they won over a lot of people at ProgPower.

On the extent to which he thinks the resumes of SONS OF APOLLO's members helped the group's cause:

Jeff: "You'd be surprised how light some of the turnouts were in certain cities or certain territories. The expectation is that because of where everybody comes from, we're just going to bring hordes of people together, but as a band, we don't have that. We don't have that level of acceptance as a band just yet. We have our people — Mike has his, everybody's got theirs — but they don't necessarily come together for the band just because of that individual or those individuals. We might have the advantage of having a few more people there than if it was just myself with unknown members out there, but the bottom line is that we're still out there and we're still kicking and fighting and getting our own niche... The bottom line is, this is the path we chose; this is what we want to do; so you have to take the good with the bad, and if it means you have to eat crow for a while, you do so, because that's the only way to show people you're serious."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4204 on: September 15, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
Very interesting quote. I wonder if the rest of the members think the same way...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4205 on: September 15, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
The new kings of prog/metal or whatever they were supposed to be are getting their own niche?? That was a great paragraph, not at all like the standard SoA PR statements of the past.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4206 on: September 16, 2018, 02:33:47 AM »
The new kings of prog/metal or whatever they were supposed to be are getting their own niche?? That was a great paragraph, not at all like the standard SoA PR statements of the past.

That's because it didn't come from Mike "Cojones" Portnoy and Derek "Burgers" Sherinian.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4207 on: September 16, 2018, 03:15:23 AM »
JSS saying they will record album #2 in 2019

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jeff-scott-soto-says-sons-of-apollo-will-record-sophomore-album-in-2019/

I really like this quote from him though, he recognizes it's not just about the names but they got to put it all together.  Maybe they can make that leap with the next album.  I think they won over a lot of people at ProgPower.

On the extent to which he thinks the resumes of SONS OF APOLLO's members helped the group's cause:

Jeff: "You'd be surprised how light some of the turnouts were in certain cities or certain territories. The expectation is that because of where everybody comes from, we're just going to bring hordes of people together, but as a band, we don't have that. We don't have that level of acceptance as a band just yet. We have our people — Mike has his, everybody's got theirs — but they don't necessarily come together for the band just because of that individual or those individuals. We might have the advantage of having a few more people there than if it was just myself with unknown members out there, but the bottom line is that we're still out there and we're still kicking and fighting and getting our own niche... The bottom line is, this is the path we chose; this is what we want to do; so you have to take the good with the bad, and if it means you have to eat crow for a while, you do so, because that's the only way to show people you're serious."

Another proof of how they should let him handle all the press next time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4208 on: September 16, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
Yep.  There's bluster and boasting and slamming others, then there's just being rational and realistic about things.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4209 on: September 16, 2018, 04:25:57 PM »
Yeah, they should let Jeff handle the PR next time. Portnoy just needs to focus on his enthusiasm and positive messages, and not engage in "discussions" with critical fans. Derek needs to refrain from talking to anyone online in any capacity in regards to this band.

I am looking forward to their new music. If they can improve on some of the lacking elements of their debut, it might be a genuine winner.

Also, their special concert set to be recorded will be in a couple of days, right? Interested to see what their setlist will be.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4210 on: September 17, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
I've been very critical of Mike's social media posts about DT in the last 7-8 years, but credit where credit is due, he acted the right way this time and I think it deserves to be posted here:

Ultimate Guitar posted on twitter that the upcoming SOA show in Russia is being advertised as "More than/bigger than Dream Theater", to which Mike responded:

This was a VERY lame bullshit move by the promoter of the show in Russia...unfortunately as much as we try to control what and how the shows are advertised, it’s ultimately in their hands...he’s gonna get an earful from me...this was totally uncool and uncalled for

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1041657848135077888
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4211 on: September 17, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
Good for Mike. He should've taken the same tact with Derek.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4212 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
Exactly. Like, cool that he's on that, but where was he when Derek was talking mad shit about Jordan and Dream Theater constantly? Didn't care much about it before he was playing tiny backwater clubs, playing covers of a band he chose to leave.  :facepalm:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4213 on: September 17, 2018, 08:16:37 PM »
How do we know that he didn't handle Derek privately? Derek has been quiet for some time now. He just stopped talking smack entirely.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4214 on: September 17, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »
He probably could have, and that's a fair point. I just keep thinking about the video they released after a dozen snarky online comments, with Derek's "cheesy ass gadgets" comment, like, Mike was filming that and released it, so...

But, regardless, yeah, it's nice that he called bullshit out on that whole Russian thing. Maybe we need an investigation to see if Derek was colluding.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4215 on: September 17, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »
On that video, Mike was filming AND laughing at Derek’s comments about not bringing an ipad to the studio and all that.  It’s true that the Mike we saw at the start of the SOA promotional campaing was completely on board with all the crap Derek was saying, but it seems like he’s changed now. Anyway, I just pointed that he did right this time, and for Mike, that’s a first in a loooong time.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4216 on: September 17, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »
I just always figured Derek stopped talking because the album came out and really didn't blow up the way he thought it would so he just went back to being silent.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4217 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
I just always figured Derek stopped talking because the album came out and really didn't blow up the way he thought it would so he just went back to being silent.

Yup, that seems like the far more likely scenario.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4218 on: September 18, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »

*Went back to making history HUR HUR HUR

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4219 on: September 18, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »

*Went back to making history HUR HUR HUR

× Went back to beeing history 😙

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4220 on: September 18, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
That octopus pedigree didn't really reached its peak there, now did it?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4221 on: September 22, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
So among the covers tonight for their special orchestra show were Kashmir, Dream On, Comfortably Numb and Diary of a Madman. They also added in Hell's Kitchen before LitS. Insta-buy so hard.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4222 on: September 22, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
Yeah the set looks incredible. Will be buying this for sure

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4223 on: September 22, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Mike Portnoy posted this on FB:

"Keep this setlist confidential and out of view"... good ol' Mike keeping surprises close to his chest :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4224 on: September 22, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
THREE Dream Theater covers?

:rollin

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4225 on: September 22, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
THREE Dream Theater covers?

:rollin

Plus a bunch of stuff he already covered before.  Kind of...underwhelming.  I mean, all of those covers are awesome (except Lines in the Sand and Just Let Me Breathe) and I'm actually looking forward to hearing it but after 30 years in the biz and having set guidelines of not repeating himself and this and that and he pulls out a bunch of repeats.  Awesome repeats, mind you, but it seems like he's running out of steam.  Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems Kashmir is the only song he's never covered before.

For the record, I think that's fine and you should always just play whatever the best setlist while being mindful of keeping it fresh, it's just funny that he set himself up for this. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4226 on: September 22, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »

Holy crap.  I typed in "Mike Portnoy Kashmir" in youtube to see if he had ever done that (it's not looking like it) but look what one of the top results was:

Hypercane with Mike Mangini solo - Kashmir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC_VmhvHE_4

Mangini fucking kills it.  And some people say he doesn't have enough "feel"  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4227 on: September 22, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
Seems like an awesome setlist to me!

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4228 on: September 22, 2018, 04:53:57 PM »
Only the set 2 with orchestra? Amazing setlist IMO!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4229 on: September 22, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »
Good setlist....for the 2nd half, but it's a bit sad that I'm mostly excited for the non-SOA songs.

Also, less than half of the set is original songs. I dunno. I mean, I'm sure it'll be a cool DVD and I'll be getting it, but when a band's first DVD is mostly other people's songs, that can't be a good omen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4230 on: September 22, 2018, 06:32:21 PM »
Not terrible not not too exciting either of a setlist. I'm guessing Kashmir with the orchestra would be pretty sick though.  I plan on getting it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4231 on: September 22, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »
Also, as much as I enjoy JSS, for songs like Dream On or Show Must Go On....does he have that range or is he changing the high parts which really make the song?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4232 on: September 22, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »
Great that they decided to include Hell’s Kitchen, but they totally missed the oportunity to include BMS.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4233 on: September 22, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »
I think JSS has the range, from what I saw.

I'm buying this.   Yeah, he's covered some of those before, yeah, half the set is not original (but they have ONE ALBUM out, and I think it's ludicrous to expect a DT song where Derek wasn't in the band), but I think given all the parameters - time to prepare, the rest of the set, the other players - that's as solid as anyone can reasonably expect. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4234 on: September 22, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
I'm surprised that Mike chose such well known songs given that A) He has such wide range of taste, and B) I'm assuming that it will cost them more to legally release a live version of these songs versus deeper cuts.
Photobucket sucks.