Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467784 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4130 on: July 31, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »
I get most of my news from Blabbermouth cause I'm lazy, but didn't see anything on this.

What's going on?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4131 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
I bet “unforseen circumstances beyond our control” means “Mike has other 87 bands to worry about”.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4132 on: July 31, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
Well, there were a couple of unfortunate events during the SoA tour...One, Jeff lost his brother during the tour. And two, he also got sick pretty badly with a throat infection. Maybe he just needed a big emotional rest. But that's just my opinion. I don't know exactly what circumstances caused the cancellation of the remaining tour dates.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4133 on: July 31, 2018, 11:40:54 AM »
Sad to hear that bad circumstances came up.  I read a couple months ago that they were gonna film a show in Europe for a live dvd. Does anybody know if that happened before all this went down?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4134 on: July 31, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Sad to hear that bad circumstances came up.  I read a couple months ago that they were gonna film a show in Europe for a live dvd. Does anybody know if that happened before all this went down?

The show in Plovdiv is still listed on their tour schedule for this fall

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4135 on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
"Low ticket sales" qualify as "unforeseen circumstances beyond our control", don't they? 

:)

This was my first thought. If they were more of a true "start-up" band, they'd be doing fine. But look at those rigs they take with them, the gear, the caliber of the players in the band... everything about the band is supposed to be BIG. That's a whole lot of chandeliers for such a tiny house.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4136 on: July 31, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
"Low ticket sales" qualify as "unforeseen circumstances beyond our control", don't they? 

:)

This was my first thought. If they were more of a true "start-up" band, they'd be doing fine. But look at those rigs they take with them, the gear, the caliber of the players in the band... everything about the band is supposed to be BIG. That's a whole lot of chandeliers for such a tiny house.

I feel the venues overbooked the bands capabilities.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #4137 on: August 01, 2018, 02:16:11 AM »
they only cancelled festival dates, so no ticketsale problems.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4138 on: August 01, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
MP just posted this:

All rest and no work makes MP a dull boy!! Off to Nashville today to resume work with the NMB on our follow up to The Similitude Of A Dream...that’s a tall order, but I know with the talent in this band we’re gonna come up with something magical again... 😉 #nealmorseband

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4139 on: August 01, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »
Unforeseen circumstances meaning they didn't know Neal was going to want to start writing/recording or unforeseen circumstances meaning Mike didn't know he wouldn't want to miss a single day writing/recording?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4140 on: August 01, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »
Well, they RESUME work, so it might be something like "Uh well, gigs got cancelled, we might as well work on the album instead"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4141 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Unforeseen circumstances meaning they didn't know Neal was going to want to start writing/recording or unforeseen circumstances meaning Mike didn't know he wouldn't want to miss a single day writing/recording?

That can't be it, can it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4142 on: August 01, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Well, they RESUME work, so it might be something like "Uh well, gigs got cancelled, we might as well work on the album instead"

I take it more that the RESUME means they didn't foresee needing more studio time and therefore cancelled the gigs so they could make more time in the studio.  I'm guessing there are deadlines and they couldn't make both work. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4143 on: August 01, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »

That would be my guess.  And the rest of the Neal Morse Band sans Portnoy probably already had a lot of August penciled in anyway to get ready for Morsefest, so getting the band together this month was probably easy, once Portnoy suddenly had free time on his hands due to these cancelled gigs for whatever reason.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4144 on: August 01, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
I'm skeptical.  Billy, Derek, Jeff and Ron are not industry novices, and are not in 100 other bands too.  Those cancelled shows are taking money out of their pocket.  While I am loathe to speculate or assume that they feel a certain way about band events, I'm skeptical.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4145 on: August 01, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
Well, considering that Portnoy prides himself on "telling it like it is" and keeping his fans up to date as to what is going on, I would expect him to not take long to tell fans what these unforeseen circumstances are. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4146 on: August 01, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
called it last week
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4147 on: August 01, 2018, 10:25:04 PM »
Well, considering that Portnoy prides himself on "telling it like it is" and keeping his fans up to date as to what is going on, I would expect him to not take long to tell fans what these unforeseen circumstances are.

:lol

Yup. Any minute/day/never now.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4148 on: August 02, 2018, 05:01:14 AM »
the unforeseen circumstances are that might remembered he is also in 86 other bands aside from SoA

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4149 on: August 02, 2018, 05:59:29 AM »
I'm skeptical.  Billy, Derek, Jeff and Ron are not industry novices, and are not in 100 other bands too.  Those cancelled shows are taking money out of their pocket. While I am loathe to speculate or assume that they feel a certain way about band events, I'm skeptical.

I agree. I actually was thinking the same thing. That's why I'd be shocked if this was due to MP doing the Morse thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4150 on: August 02, 2018, 06:22:14 AM »
I'm skeptical.  Billy, Derek, Jeff and Ron are not industry novices, and are not in 100 other bands too.  Those cancelled shows are taking money out of their pocket. While I am loathe to speculate or assume that they feel a certain way about band events, I'm skeptical.

I agree. I actually was thinking the same thing. That's why I'd be shocked if this was due to MP doing the Morse thing.

Yea, I feel that would be pretty bad to do so to your bandmates.... but at least not Billy.  Mr. Big is playing Wacken (same festival SOA cancelled) this weekend.  I was also wondering if that was a conflict, but I would of been sure Wacken wouldn't schedule both bands at the same time at such a festival.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4151 on: August 02, 2018, 06:36:53 AM »
Don't pull any muscles jumping to conclusions!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4152 on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
Don't pull any muscles jumping to conclusions!

Can't speak for anyone else, but didn't conclude anything.  Just said "skeptical".   If you know something, do tell, but as a pretty avid Portnoy supporter, I don't think anyone went out of bounds on this. 

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4153 on: August 03, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »
I'm thinking SOA may be a one and done deal. It has some traction, but I don't believe it took off like they were thinking it would and it doesn't seem to be growing. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see a sophomore release.

However, I remember listening to interviews and reading interviews where it was said that 2018 would be dedicated to SOA. Now we have MP in the studio with another band in August. It's interesting. As a musician in today's business, you go where the work is. The more work, the more $$ you make and the less time you spend having to work a day job. I know MP is in a different category as he's not doing this just because he needs to avoid having a day job. He and Neal are close and like MP said in his Instagram post, it's the 19th or 20th record he's done with Neal. 

Not bashing MP. I'm sure the NMB studio time was scheduled long ago. Shoot, with those guys, they could probably record drum tracks in 1 week and MP be outta there. The timing for all of this is interesting, that's all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4154 on: August 03, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
Honestly it could be that one of the members has a personal issue that they don’t want out in the public. The reason given was so ambiguous. MP has never shied away from being up front.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4155 on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »
Honestly it could be that one of the members has a personal issue that they don’t want out in the public. The reason given was so ambiguous. MP has never shied away from being up front.

I think this is exactly it.  From what I saw, they cancelled two(?) festival gigs and re-booked some others for later on in the year.  It's not a big deal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4156 on: August 03, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
I recognize that speculating about someone's finances is questionable, perhaps even rude.    But, I'll leave it at this:  I am FASCINATED by how musicians/athletes/any non-9/5er makes their living work, and Mike is no exception.   I don't believe it would surprise anyone if the last eight years have been as consistent as the 25 that came before.   

I'm not suggesting that any of this is related to the cancellations - TAC may well be right, given that at least two of the members have had personal health issues that they've dealt with in the past - but still.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4157 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
Mike will be out of this group by no later than mid 2019, I'm calling it now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4158 on: August 03, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
I gave it a 7.  Some pretty solid work here.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4159 on: August 03, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »

Correction: He's never shied away from claiming he's being up front. 

As it stands, I have a love/hate relationship with this band.  I want to like it so much.  I do like aspects of it a lot.  They haven't given me much reason to like more and I don't really think Mike's heart is into it.  It's sad because I really grew to love Soto (sans his stage moves) and Sherinian (minus the crap he spewed but has thankfully stopped) and they seem to have the most invested personally.  Thal seems to be into it though maybe not as much as the other two.

Sadly, I think it may be one and done.  Would love to be wrong though. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4160 on: August 03, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
It's not really clicking with me.  I like the record - like, not love - and I liked the concert - liked, not loved - and while I really like Jeff, he can really sing, and I don't give a crap at all about the "stage moves", I just feel he's not right for the group.    Paul McCartney is the greatest living musician right now, but he wouldn't be right for, say, Slayer.  It's not a knock on Jeff at all to say that having four and a half instruments - guitar, keys, vocals, bass, and half drums - all occupying that middle register makes for a very homogenous experience FOR ME.   I like the contrast.  I like the soaring Freddie Mercury/James LaBrie vocal over the mid-range of the guitars and keys, while hearing the rumble of the bass at the bottom.  It's what I love about Yes. It's what I love about Genesis.  It's what I love about Rush.  It's what I love about Cheap Trick.  It's what's missing for me in SOA. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4161 on: August 03, 2018, 12:38:36 PM »
To me the band was all about Bumblefoot and JSS from seeing it live.  Those guys had some chemestry together and it seemed like everyone else were the role players.  Also seems like those are the two drinkers and the rest having different lifestyles could be a reason why they don't continue as well.  Would love to see JSS and BF continue doing something though because they were fantastic on stage together.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4162 on: August 03, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »
To me the band was all about Bumblefoot and JSS from seeing it live.  Those guys had some chemestry together and it seemed like everyone else were the role players.  Also seems like those are the two drinkers and the rest having different lifestyles could be a reason why they don't continue as well.  Would love to see JSS and BF continue doing something though because they were fantastic on stage together.

That Queen medley, eh?   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4163 on: August 03, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
That was pretty cool, I honestly loved them on Just Let Me Breathe.  I don't know why, maybe because I've never seen DT play it, but they brought so much energy to that song and I rewatch the instrumental part often in my video.  Love how JSS is interacting with everyone while they solo and do their thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4164 on: August 03, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
I must say, I thought the cover selection was kinda weird. Two DT covers and two Queen covers. I don't know, to me it sorta "denigrated" the band a bit, because they were just so inviting the comparison with DT, and the Queen part felt like Soto almost putting more effort into the delivery of those songs than into their own. I can definitely say I felt a "are they a real band, or more a cover band with originals?" feeling during the concert.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."