Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468082 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4025 on: May 14, 2018, 01:36:41 AM »
3-disc contract?  I had no idea that labels still did that.  Definitely a good thing. :tup

triple album confirmed?  :justjen

Is this not just a 3 album contract? Surely a band with only one album under their belt is not doing a triple-album.

I know, I was just making fun of the wording :lol

I mean, it would be pretty interesting though, even though it'd probably suck :dunno:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4026 on: May 15, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »
so i just read that they're going back into the studio in November, and that they signed for a 3 disc contract with Sony, so at least we'll hear some more music from these guys in the future :-)

Cool news!  But I wonder what Richie Kotzen's reaction will be to that.  This is turning into a long hiatus for the Winery Dogs.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4027 on: May 15, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
Cool news!  But I wonder what Richie Kotzen's reaction will be to that.  This is turning into a long hiatus for the Winery Dogs.

I don't think Richie Kotzen does not mind it too much.  Apparently, from what I read, he likes doing his own thing and when everyone's schedule aligns and they are up for it, Winery Dogs will come back, eventually.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4028 on: May 15, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
Well, considering there’s a new Flying Colors album, a new Neal Morse Band album and then a new Sons of Apollo album coming, I don’t think there are many chances for TWD to do something in the next 2 to 3 years, at least.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4029 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:45 AM »

I don't think Richie Kotzen does not mind it too much.  Apparently, from what I read, he likes doing his own thing and when everyone's schedule aligns and they are up for it, Winery Dogs will come back, eventually.

Last interview I read, Ritchie said he was ready to do TWD.  I don't see it happening in the near future either though.  Maybe another year the earliest.

On another note, I am pretty excited to see them Friday night in NYC.  Been listening to the album a bit more recently to get into it since I hadn't really gone back much after the release.  I anticipate a fun show.  Anyone else from DTF going to this?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4030 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
Anyone else from DTF going to this?

I'll be there!  Looking forward to it as well and I expect a great show.  :metal 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4031 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
I'm going either Friday in NY or Saturday in Worcester.   Leaning to Worcester because it's closer, but if I change my mind I'll let you know.  Maybe we can grab a beer. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4032 on: May 16, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »
Yea let me know,  I'd be down for a meet up although I don't expect to be around the venue early.  I'm not really interested in the opener so I don't plan on leaving work early to get over there.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4033 on: May 16, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
Looks like there are two opening bands and the show is supposed to start at 8 p.m.  What time do you guys think Sons of Apollo will go on -- 10 p.m.?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4034 on: May 16, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
Looks like there are two opening bands and the show is supposed to start at 8 p.m.  What time do you guys think Sons of Apollo will go on -- 10 p.m.?
The two opening bands were worth seeing, great talent!  SOA didn't start til about 9:30 at the Seattle show. Well worth the wait, they were amazing!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4035 on: May 16, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
Anyone else from DTF going to this?

I'll be there!  Looking forward to it as well and I expect a great show.  :metal

I’m going too. I’m super pumped for this. Should be an extremely fun concert.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4036 on: May 16, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
MP shows in NYC are always special.  Loved how he named off a bunch of his memorable ones with DT at the 12SS show last fall. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4037 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »
I will in all likelihood be at the show Friday night. I'm waiting to make sure I get something in the mail tomorrow so I can brew a beer tomorrow night, because if the mail gets delayed I'll have to skip the show to brew Friday night instead.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4038 on: May 19, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »
I thought they were awesome.  Place was like half full but they brought it.  Just so impressed by Bumblefoot.  Amazing guitarist and is just awesome on stage.  Must say, I am also impressed with JSS.  I'd say he was the weak link on the album, but I felt his live performance of those songs was MUCH better.  He also was a lot of fun to watch on stage, he really seemed wild.  Also was drinking quite a bit so maybe that was it.  Either way, he had some odd dance moves, but that's fine.  He was into it and giving it all.  Near the end he sung without any microphone and just sounded amazing and had so much power.   I thought the cover songs were done really well.  Surprised I liked JLMB as much as I did.  I like the song more than most, but thought the flawless and energetic live rendition by SOA was really well done.  LITS was great as well, which I expected.  The JSS and Bumblefoot solo spots were also much better than I expected them to be.  These two really shined and it almost felt like it was their show and everyone else took a back seat.   

Here are my videos and highlights:

Sons of Apollo - Alive Live @ Playstation Theater New York City

My long video:

Sons of Apollo - Live @ Playstation Theater New York City *cramx3 concert experience*

7:18 - MP calls out JSS for his sexy dance moves
25:22 - JSS asks Ron where his mom is and what he should call her  :lol
38:06 - JSS appears in the crowd to have a shot with people and sings And The Cradle Will Rock

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4039 on: May 19, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
Dude those are awesome vids, thanks for sharing!  I wish I could watch that on the big screen tv through stereo sound.  At least I was at the Seattle show. :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4040 on: May 19, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »

Sons of Apollo - Live @ Playstation Theater New York City *cramx3 concert experience*

Cram, as always, you totally knocked it out. Awesome job.

You freaked me out at the 25 second mark where you appear in the top left corner, it literally looked like you appeared on a Times Square billboard. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4041 on: May 19, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »
At Worcester.    Rumour is they barely sold 500 tix, place holds 2,100.    Place is bad ass though.

I’ll bet a case of beer mike programmed the music.  It rules.  Queen.  Ozzy: “Looking at you looking at me.”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:31:39 PM by Stadler »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4042 on: May 19, 2018, 05:40:01 PM »
Yea the house music is definitely picked by the band just wait for all the Van Halen  :yarr

Thanks TAC and Architeuthis  :metal

I also tweeted this separate clip of JSS dancing which he responded to and also shared on his page with further explanation  :lol

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/997898913968476160?s=19

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4043 on: May 19, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »
Did he call you Prince? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4044 on: May 19, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
Did he call you Prince? :lol

There also was a royal wedding and a musician, and me. I dont know.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4045 on: May 19, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
When do Sons come on and when do they play until?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4046 on: May 19, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »
8:45 and Felix somebody is on stage.   Good, but not really my thing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4047 on: May 19, 2018, 09:36:22 PM »
More tomorrow but...  holy crap. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4048 on: May 20, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
When do Sons come on and when do they play until?

In NYC, they came on around 945 and played until 11:45ish

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4049 on: May 20, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
I would have gone to the show Friday night if not for the two openers. Knew that an 8pm start time meant that I'd be on the 12:45am bus home and it wasn't worth it for the same setlist we got in Asbury Park a couple months ago.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4050 on: May 20, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
I also went to the Worcester show. Great show, which is why I went, Bumblefoot was on fire.

De Soto, great singing and stage presence, very much enjoyed it.

But man, his drinking. I couldn't help but think "dude, you're 50, and essentially everybody in the audience is around that too. Drinking vodka straight from a Solo cup ... that's probably not going to end well."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4051 on: May 20, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »
Sometimes a little liquid courage can help him relax on stage, but there's a fine line, lol!  He didn't seem intoxicated at all though, just enough to take the edge off and have fun performing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4052 on: May 20, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
So.... I wasn't expecting much.   I listened to the album on the way up and wasn't really any more impressed than I was the first (and only) time I listened to it.  "JLMB" is a great song, but while I like "LITS", I can't stand the vocals, so it depended on how they did it.

First, I thought it odd that the two "stars" of the band - Derek and Mike - were both up in the back (where they stayed for the entire show) and were the least energetic and enthusiastic of the band.  He played really well, but that was by far the least animated I've seen Mike at a show.

Second, Billy was Billy.   He rocked, and unlike the videos I've seen before, he played the double neck the entire show and played both necks, not quite equally, but enough to make it more than a prop.

The stars, though, were Bumblefoot and Jeff.   I knew Bumblefoot was good, but not that good.   I went by myself, but in line to get in, I started talking to three guys, including a father and son, the father having seen Mike something like 25 or 30 times or something like that.  None were ecstatic about LaBrie, so the one "wild card" for the Dream Theater material were the Petrucci parts.  At the end of JLMB, the father turned and sort of nodded his head like "not bad, not bad".   I thought he was great.  I he delivered on everything, from the album material to the DT material, to the Queen song (an "acoustic" version of Save Me) to the metal of Van Halen.   I had seen him with Guns and Roses, but he wasn't carrying the band like he was here.   Derek was good, but it seemed as if the melodic portions of the songs were carried by Bumble, not Derek.   He really was the backbone of the sound, and nailed it.

The real revelation was Jeff.  He blew me away.    The album material was sung note-perfect, and in fact, he breathed life into some of the parts that were for me pretty average.   The other criticism I had of the album is that it is too one-dimensional; it seemed like the guitar, keys and vocals were all sort of competing for the same frequencies and it made it sound like mush to me; live not so much.  I know Jeff had a pedal-board that he used periodically through the night (mostly during the a cappella part of "The Prophets Song") which added some depth, but he really cut through in a way that he didn't for me on the record.  I didn't really notice the drinking aspect, except during the first encore, which he spent walking up the stairs toward the back (where there was a bar).    He was making a thing about getting a drink and not having a wrist band, which I took to be funny schtick, not sincere drunk complaining.    He sang the whole song just about from the audience and I thought it was just the right mix of "cool rock and roll frontman" and actual performance. 

I feel a little bad about this, but it's inevitable, in my opinion: while I much prefer LaBrie's vocals on record, and he's sung some of the most iconic lines in prog-metal history, live, I believe Soto schooled him.  I'd much rather listen to what I heard last night than some of the passages I've heard from LaBrie live.  Plus, while the band was on stage, Soto was on stage.  In my opinion, what I saw last night was what Derek - by the way, introduced by Soto as "Shit-stirinian", among other things during his little rhyme introductions - was promising.  That was a well-played, energetic, even emotional at times ("Save Me" was a really moving performance) show that may be my second favorite DT/Portnoy related show I've ever seen (behind the Similitude show I saw). 

Felix Martin:  certainly technically impressive; nothing I saw would have been out of place on any Crimson album from 1980 onward, but it just didn't connect emotionally with me.  It didn't touch me.   The opening act, The Sifting, wasn't earth-shattering, but they were WAY better than they should have been for an opening act on a three-act bill in a club with 500, 750 people tops.   Singer was a little over the top, and he has to work on his sound (he was throwing shapes like a madman, but it was as if his guitar wasn't plugged in.  Loses it's effect!) but I would check them out again.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4053 on: May 20, 2018, 07:58:34 PM »
Agree on absolutely everything, Stadler. Bummed I couldn't stick around for the encore, but I had to drive back to Boston, and boy did that drive suck.

Felix Martin, yeah. This tapping stuff simply doesn't cut through a bass-drums combo, and so after the third song it all sounded the same.

Agree about Derek and MP. They were rather subdued in the back, but frankly I didn't mind since Jeff, Ron and Billy are such excellent front men. MP's parts on the album are not too exciting anyway.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:08:32 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4054 on: May 21, 2018, 03:12:42 AM »
Hmmm,  I thought MP was on fire at the Seattle show!  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4055 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
Stadler pretty much nailed it for how I felt as well.  JFF and BF stole the show while the MP/DS kind of just were playing along in the back.  Not that they weren't spectacular in their own ways, it was just hard to keep your eyes off the other two who were running around like wild on the stage (and JFF in the crowd). 

It's funny, SOA was Friday night in a hardly filled theater then Saturday night I saw Misfits in a sold out arena and in terms of musicianship and sound, it was night and day as well as the opposite feeling with regards to the crowd  :lol  Such a cool back to back different experience of concerts.  Actually made me really appreciate SOA so much more.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4056 on: May 21, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
How much was Soto drinking? I'll only make it through their PP set if I'm wasted, and I want to keep up with him.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4057 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:34 AM »
It's funny, SOA was Friday night in a hardly filled theater then Saturday night I saw Misfits in a sold out arena and in terms of musicianship and sound, it was night and day as well as the opposite feeling with regards to the crowd  :lol  Such a cool back to back different experience of concerts.  Actually made me really appreciate SOA so much more.

Different back to back concerts are awesome. One time I've seen Loreena McKennitt in a theater, and the day after a folk / rock band in the suburbs, going from mystical tunes sung with an angelic voice to moshpits supported by bagpipes was glorious  :lol

Anyway, hasn't anyone basically told the same thing since reviews came in? how Jeff and Bumblefoot steal the show while Derek and Mike are being shadowed by them?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4058 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
How much was Soto drinking? I'll only make it through their PP set if I'm wasted, and I want to keep up with him.

He was drinking throughout the set on Friday night.  He had family/friends in the crowd and did a shot with them during the encore.  I don't know if that's an every concert thing or a friday night in NYC with your friends type of thing.  He didn't really come off as drunk other than just being very loose and having fun though.  He still sounded amazing at the end of the show.  I'm actually really looking forward to their PP set.  I hope they do some different cover songs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4059 on: May 21, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
He had a drink with someone in the crowd in Worcester as well.   He was had a cup back on the drum riser, but I never in a million years would have said he was "drunk".   His vocals were spot on, he hit all his cues, and he was diddling with his pedal rack while doing it.   He was making jokes about the Celtics throughout the show ("Sorry your Celtics took a shit in the playoff game!" or something like that) and made jokes about "Worcester" being "Boston" (or not).   Maybe I'm jaded, having seen Stephen Tyler falling off a drum riser he was so hammered, that having a couple drinks during the show wasn't even noticeable to me.