Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467840 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3955 on: May 02, 2018, 08:24:21 PM »
First, says who?  It does not say that is the source, and we have not seen anything from his management.  Second, and more to the point if you had actually read what I wrote, so what?  No matter who wrote it, it is still vague and does not say what the reason for the cancellation is (and it reads, to me anyway, as though that ambiguity is intentional).

Are you intentionally missing the point of my posts today, Nick?

I truly cannot see what is vague about this or how you are going to such great lengths to make it seem so? Typically you are very fond of what we know vs. speculation, but can't help like I'm living on bizzaro world in this situation. The statement comes from JLB's management, that is simply a stated fact, unless you accuse the festival of literally making up someone else's statement. The statement, while saying the band has made the decision to cancel together, specifically cites James' commitment to DT during the writing of the album as the reason for the cancellation. I just don't see what there is to argue on these points without going into blatant speculation, which again, you are typically very cautious about.

I feel like I live in bizzaro world in many situations these days......

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3956 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »
I'm with Nick on this.  Now, Bosk says he has some inside knowledge and a more detailed official announcement is coming, so this may be a moot point.  But, the only official statement we have is what's posted.  Why mention that the DT writing process and "this will be a critical period".  The only interpretation for this "period" is the time in and around PPUSA.  Why mention it otherwise?  If the cancellation isn't related to the DT writing process and James' "responsibilities" to DT to be "in studio", then it's not vaguely worded, it's *poorly* worded.

Is it directly stated to be the reason for the cancellation?  No I suppose not, it serves no purpose to mention it if it isn't inferred to be the reason - or at least a contributing factor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3957 on: May 03, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
Yes, the problem is that it IS poorly worded.  And, again, that statement is NOT from JLB management or DT management.  It implies that some of the information is from JLB management, but it is not a quote and is very vaguely worded.  There are several red flags in that post that caused me to talk to the band directly and get my clarification.  All I can say is, I am satisfied with the answer I got, and they are doing their due diligence on their side and expect to have a clarification forthcoming.  But in the mean time, don't assume that the implication that DT forced the James LaBrie band to pull out of PPUSA is correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3958 on: May 03, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
It doesn't imply anything. It clearly states "message from LaBrie's management." Either it is, that Glenn guy is lying, or he emailed some guy named Kenny LaBrie from Des Moines and got him to make up a statement. Moreover, I don't recall anybody suggesting that DT forced him to pull out. The discussion was simply about JLB pulling out of the gig. Not sure why this is such a problem, nor why there's any need to dispute such a clear and, frankly, inoffensive explanation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3959 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:17 AM »
Not sure why this is such a problem, nor why there's any need to dispute such a clear and, frankly, inoffensive explanation.

Because people clearly ARE offended by the explanation, and many of those are assuming that DT is to blame.

And the fact that you and others feel the statement IS in fact clear is exactly why it is a problem. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3960 on: May 03, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
Bosk is right about that.  But if the new explanation is "The rest of DT isn't to blame, it's all JLB," that probably isn't going to do DT any favors either, depending on what else is said along with that.  Hopefully the clarification is one that a reasonable fan would read and say "oh, OK. That's too bad - I was really looking forward to his set, but I get. Hope to see his solo band some time in the future." Rather than what we're seeing now - DT is dead to me, DT is selfish, JLB is selfish, DT/JLB screwed Glenn over, DT/JLB screwed over fans who bought tickets and nonrefundable travel arrangements, etc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3961 on: May 03, 2018, 09:10:50 AM »
Don't forget how much everyone can count on MP to save the day when "the Canadian" drops the ball.  #MPWarriors #hardworking #bloodsweattears
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3962 on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
Don't forget how much everyone can count on MP to save the day when "the Canadian" drops the ball.  #MPWarriors #hardworking #bloodsweattears

So far I haven't seen anything like that.... have you?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3963 on: May 03, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
I have, so Firewings probably has too.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3964 on: May 03, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
I have, so Firewings probably has too.

Links?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3965 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
Just to be clear - I'm talking about fan comments - not anything said by MP.  The ProgPower post announcing SOA has some, which is public, and I've also seen comments on a private ProgPower group.  (Facebook in both cases).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3966 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
Good on MP for seizing this opportunity. He's done a fantastic job with every facet of Sons. Slipping into ProgPower is just another great move!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3967 on: May 03, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
Good on MP for seizing this opportunity. He's done a fantastic job with every facet of Sons. Slipping into ProgPower is just another great move!

Yea, it really is.  I now hope they change something up with the setlist for PP.  Maybe do a different VH cover song at least. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3968 on: May 03, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
They should use Derek touring with him in that period as an excuse to play Alice Cooper's Poison  :metal everyone say Bumblefoot is a good singer, let him handle all the backup vocals of that song  :lol

Addition: they could make the song heavier and less glam-ish, Alice himself sings it a bit differently live and the song sounds more modern and heavier than the album version.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3969 on: May 03, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
I would totally dig that

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3970 on: May 03, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »
Just to be clear - I'm talking about fan comments - not anything said by MP.  The ProgPower post announcing SOA has some, which is public, and I've also seen comments on a private ProgPower group.  (Facebook in both cases).

Right.... well I don't fault MP for what his fans are doing

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3971 on: May 03, 2018, 09:51:43 AM »
They should use Derek touring with him in that period as an excuse to play Alice Cooper's Poison  :metal everyone say Bumblefoot is a good singer, let him handle all the backup vocals of that song  :lol

Addition: they could make the song heavier and less glam-ish, Alice himself sings it a bit differently live and the song sounds more modern and heavier than the album version.

That would be incredible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3972 on: May 03, 2018, 09:58:56 AM »

Yes, good for him for seizing the opportunity.  But I take issue with "He's done a fantastic job with every facet of Sons."  I think he most decidedly has NOT.  But that's neither here nor there.  We can give him credit without pretending he's something he's not.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3973 on: May 03, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »

Yes, good for him for seizing the opportunity.  But I take issue with "He's done a fantastic job with every facet of Sons."  I think he most decidedly has NOT.  But that's neither here nor there.  We can give him credit without pretending he's something he's not.

You're right. Stating it like I did turns a blind eye to the initial mudslinging.  Guessed I was more focused on the music and touring.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3974 on: May 03, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »

Keep in mind that the Progpower fans and attendees are very cliquey.  They take festival cancellations as a personal affront to them and their beloved festival and promoter.  Volbeat was booked years ago and they cancelled (I think to open for Metallica?) and for years some of the festival's vocal online fans held it against the band as they started to get bigger.  So some of these comments might be coming from a place of "how dare you do this to MY favorite festival" as opposed to "oh this sucks, I wanted to see you play so badly."

Yeah, the cancellation is shitty, the explanation is stupid and Glenn booking Sons of Apollo is both awesome for the band, the fest and absolutely hilarious in terms of trolling (I can picture him being so pissed off that Sons was his only choice and he went after them hard, just to stick it to JLB). 

People have every right to be bummed, but I take those comments with a big grain of salt based on the reaction to prior Progpower cancellations. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3975 on: May 03, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »

Correct on both this and Lethean's assumption that I've already seen them. I am an Internet sleuth, after all
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3976 on: May 03, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
Lots of videos of the show I attended.

Lines in the Sand:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ0_yuwMfGI

Alive:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W3Mrl0_zN4

Signs of the Times:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ZabheVTp4

Labyrinth:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=195hK4gEJfM

Where's Jeff?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLurp3FuMbY

Coming Home:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQjkp-5AR58  (even if you don't care for the song much, this video is great and really showcases Jeff working the crowd toward the end)

Lots more I didn't link to as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:50:28 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3977 on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »

Right.... well I don't fault MP for what his fans are doing

Neither do I. My comments weren't to do with MP at all - even if SOA wasn't playing the festival and there was a totally different replacement, I still think DT/JLB should provide a better explanation of the cancellation to avoid, or should I say mitigate, the bad PR they're getting.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3978 on: May 03, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »

Keep in mind that the Progpower fans and attendees are very cliquey.  They take festival cancellations as a personal affront to them and their beloved festival and promoter.  Volbeat was booked years ago and they cancelled (I think to open for Metallica?) and for years some of the festival's vocal online fans held it against the band as they started to get bigger.  So some of these comments might be coming from a place of "how dare you do this to MY favorite festival" as opposed to "oh this sucks, I wanted to see you play so badly."

Yeah, the cancellation is shitty, the explanation is stupid and Glenn booking Sons of Apollo is both awesome for the band, the fest and absolutely hilarious in terms of trolling (I can picture him being so pissed off that Sons was his only choice and he went after them hard, just to stick it to JLB). 

People have every right to be bummed, but I take those comments with a big grain of salt based on the reaction to prior Progpower cancellations.

That's undoubtedly true. Some are upset because they were specifically going for JLB, some are upset on behalf of those who were going specifically for JLB, and of course there are those who just feel that he's screwing the festival over.  But even of those, I think only a small handful are truly unreasonable.  Kingcrow also cancelled this year and it's for an undisclosed personal issue of some sort, but people understand.  The explanation from James LaBrie's management, or whoever, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3979 on: May 04, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm happy I get to hear Labryinth live now...

(And ask JSS whom that JD belonged too.)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: May 04, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
I'm happy I get to hear Labryinth live now...

(And ask JSS whom that JD belonged too.)

Now that I think about it, don't all bands do a signing session at PP?  I couldn't make any last time I went due to going to class during the afternoon but if SOA has a signing session, that would be cool since it's such a solid group of musicians.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3981 on: May 08, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3982 on: May 08, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
His solo showcase "Figaro's Whore" has rightfully been cast as the keyboard equivalent to Eddie Van Halen instrumental classic, "Eruption."
  :rollin :umno:  But once they get to the actual interview part, it's not bad.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3983 on: May 08, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
I read the interview with more atention now and... maybe the goal for the next album is to have more 10 songs like Coming Home?! :omg: ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3984 on: May 08, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
I read the interview with more atention now and... maybe the goal for the next album is to have 10 more songs like Coming Home?! :omg: ;D

:lol that quote took me for concern as well

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3985 on: May 08, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
Well, I like the song, so :dunno:  And it does go over well live.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3986 on: May 08, 2018, 05:31:56 PM »
I really like it to, but, joke aside, I hope they keep the prog side of the band in the next album  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3987 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
I think it was a bit more on the joking side, but just in general, the idea of making 10 more of anything from an artist is a bit overkill.  Granted, I enjoy the song and if it goes over well live then I understand that reasoning.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3988 on: May 09, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »
I read the interview with more atention now and... maybe the goal for the next album is to have more 10 songs like Coming Home?! :omg: ;D
Nooo,  while Coming home is a good song, it's not one of the better songs on the album.  I'd like to hear more pieces like Alive, GOTS, instrumental etc..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3989 on: May 09, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
I read it as they wanted ten more songs like Coming Home in terms of the reception it gets live, not as literally copying Coming Home ten times.
Photobucket sucks.