Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467477 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3920 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »
Ok, but what about in this case?  I see nothing wrong with MP trying to get a festival slot for his band after one guy pulled out and it just so happens to be JLB.

See my followup (that I already submitted)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3921 on: May 02, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
Well, what else can the promoter do?  Not contact SOA and try to test the waters if they are interested on a relatively short notice?  Of course, MP will take advantage of this moment if the promoter is willing to play ball.
I don't think anybody is finding fault with the decision.  It appears to solve everybody's problems.  Whatever the issues with the JLB band, they aren't playing, which is what they wanted.  The promoter has a headliner, which is what he wanted.  SOA had another festival gig, even if it is a small one, which is the type of thing they are looking for.  Everybody is happy, right?  What's the problem?

ProgPower is the oldest and most prominent festival of its type in America. While it's not some outdoor extravaganza like Wacken I would not call this a "small one". Frankly there are lots of important people in the metal world, not to mention fans who might not otherwise have seen them that will now see them at what is likely their best, live. This is a great gig for SoA.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3922 on: May 02, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
Agreed Nick... And MP has a special love already for PPUSA, I'd expect a once in a lifetime performance out of this one. And I guarantee Glenn has a shit eating grin over this one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3923 on: May 02, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »
Well, what else can the promoter do?  Not contact SOA and try to test the waters if they are interested on a relatively short notice?  Of course, MP will take advantage of this moment if the promoter is willing to play ball.
I don't think anybody is finding fault with the decision.  It appears to solve everybody's problems.  Whatever the issues with the JLB band, they aren't playing, which is what they wanted.  The promoter has a headliner, which is what he wanted.  SOA had another festival gig, even if it is a small one, which is the type of thing they are looking for.  Everybody is happy, right?  What's the problem?

ProgPower is the oldest and most prominent festival of its type in America. While it's not some outdoor extravaganza like Wacken I would not call this a "small one". Frankly there are lots of important people in the metal world, not to mention fans who might not otherwise have seen them that will now see them at what is likely their best, live. This is a great gig for SoA.

Okay, but you are quibbling over words and missing the point of my post.  But "old" and "prominent" or not, it is by just about any definition a "small" festival.  Capacity is, what, a few thousand?  And the headliners are which multi-platinum, stadium-selling artists again?  It's a small festival.  That isn't an indictment of the quality.  But it's not a Wacken, or Bloodstock, or Day on the Green, or M3, or what have you.  If it were a bigger festival, SOA would not be the headliner (and, in fairness, neither would JLB).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3924 on: May 02, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »

And to piggy-back off of this, Progpower has been responsible for a vast number of US debuts of foreign bands (including Nightwish).  Pretty much any power metal band that has been touring the states over the last 10 years owes this to Progpower.  They brought over bands like Gamma Ray, Edguy, Nightwish and so many more, who then used the festival to build a tour around. 

In addition, he's pulled off some amazing reunions (Conception, prior to the recent reunion, Savatage under a different name) and one-off shows. Definitely not a small time fest, though it may have a smaller capacity than large outdoor fests.  It is very much a niche fest, but one that has single handedly kept a niche genre of music alive in the country and allowed those artists an opportunity to play in the US and tour in the US.

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #3925 on: May 02, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
sorry if i overlooked it but whats the source that SoA is headlining now?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3927 on: May 02, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »
Yea it's a small festival overall but big in the genre. It's also extremely unique for the US.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3928 on: May 02, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
Hey this is great!  I hope it gets filmed as I can't make the trek to Atlanta. I don't think this is a knock on JLB.   You can't blame MP for wanting to get this gig, it will be nice change of pace from the smaller venues and will get them some good exposure..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3929 on: May 02, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
Just saw Mike repost Prog Powers post about SOA taking the spot.
I think it makes perfect sense as the fanbase should be interrested in both.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3930 on: May 02, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »
Sorry a noob, but who's "Glenn" and what's his stake in all this? 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3931 on: May 02, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »

The one who organizes the festival
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3932 on: May 02, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »

The one who organizes the festival

Yup, festival promoter.  It's pretty much his baby.  I follow him on twitter, seems like a cool guy and is pretty open and honest.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3933 on: May 02, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
I am seeing way too many comments about "drama" here. There isn't any, so let's not create any out of thin air. If there is, I know the two guys it will come from.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3934 on: May 02, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
I am seeing way too many comments about "drama" here. There isn't any, so let's not create any out of thin air. If there is, I know the two guys it will come from.

Drama isn't a bad album...

But let's keep the discussion on SoA.

Anyone else miss Sons of Anarchy? Such an awesome show. I need to binge it again.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: May 02, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »

JLB created drama by cancelling his only solo gig in who knows how long

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3936 on: May 02, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
As far as we know, James didn't cancel it. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3937 on: May 02, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »
According to his management he did.

While James and his band had been looking forward to this live appearance and performances of James’ solo material for many, many months, circumstances have forced the band to have to pull out of this year’s festival. The entire band regretfully makes this decision to officially cancel the appearance after several weeks of making every effort to try and maintain the scheduling as anticipated.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3938 on: May 02, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »

Fair enough, James LaBrie (band), featuring singer James LaBrie canceled their only US show in 10+ years due to issues surrounding James LaBrie.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3939 on: May 02, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
According to his management he did.

While James and his band had been looking forward to this live appearance and performances of James’ solo material for many, many months, circumstances have forced the band to have to pull out of this year’s festival. The entire band regretfully makes this decision to officially cancel the appearance after several weeks of making every effort to try and maintain the scheduling as anticipated.

According to the band's management, the band did.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3940 on: May 02, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
Hey, I'm sorry James. That Prog Power show just isn't going to work for me.
Oh, that's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Wait, who are you again?
I'm Ray. I play bass in your band.
Oh, oh yeah. That's right. Well, we'll miss you. Hey, would you hand me that Rolodex over there?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3941 on: May 02, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
I'm not sure I follow.  But if you are saying that James calls the shots in that band, that isn't really accurate.  It has pretty much been Matt's baby from the get-go.  Now, it may very well be that James was the one to call of this show.  But we don't know that.  And given how much control Matt has always had over this project, I wouldn't assume it was James, even though the announcement may seem to imply that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3942 on: May 02, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
I don't know, the statement seems to be explicit to me that it was JLB and his commitments to DT as the reason (although I'll admit, there could be more that we don't know about) but given the statement, I would think we should assume this is the case and anything else is just speculation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3943 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »
Yes, but it does not say that his commitments to Dream Theater are "the reason."  What it says is, "Unfortunately in this case, James LaBrie’s responsibilities to Dream Theater and his bandmates are of the utmost importance, and this will be a critical period of writing in studio for the next Dream Theater record."  To me, the incredibly vague wording (by the promoter--not a spokesman of the band, I might add) suggests that the reason is either unknown or cannot be disclosed, and the person who drafted the statement was just scrambling for something to say.  But in any case, read the statement carefully.  Note that it does not say what the reason for the cancellation actually is. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3944 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
That wording came from JLBs management.

Edit: For clarification, it was posted by the promoter, but was a direct quote of a statement from his management.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3945 on: May 02, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
First, says who?  It does not say that is the source, and we have not seen anything from his management.  Second, and more to the point if you had actually read what I wrote, so what?  No matter who wrote it, it is still vague and does not say what the reason for the cancellation is (and it reads, to me anyway, as though that ambiguity is intentional).

Are you intentionally missing the point of my posts today, Nick?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3946 on: May 02, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

:lol :lol, I was thinking the same thing.  Everyone was talking about him like he is a household name and I am thinking, who?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3947 on: May 02, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
From what I've heard of JLB solo material/band, I'm kind of luke warm to it. I think Sons of Apollo is the better band to fit that bill at the PP festival by a landslide.  JLB is one of my favorite singers in the business, but I prefer him in DT..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: May 02, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
From what I've heard of JLB solo material/band, I'm kind of luke warm to it. I think Sons of Apollo is the better band to fit that bill at the PP festival by a landslide.  JLB is one of my favorite singers in the business, but I prefer him in DT..

Here's where I disagree, PP is known for drawing rare and unique performances.  SOA will have completed two US tours in the same year as PP, yet JLB's band hasn't performed in who knows how long?  The uniqueness of his band is what made Day 3 of the festival really attractive to me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3949 on: May 02, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

Here's where I disagree, PP is known for drawing rare and unique performances.  SOA will have completed two US tours in the same year as PP, yet JLB's band hasn't performed in who knows how long?  The uniqueness of his band is what made Day 3 of the festival really attractive to me.
I feel for you man, but after seeing SOA a couple nights ago, I'm still fired up about the show and on the bandwagon..  They will put on a good show at PPUSA, and I hope you enjoy it if you go. :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3950 on: May 02, 2018, 06:54:52 PM »

I feel for you man, but after seeing SOA a couple nights ago, I'm still fired up about the show and on the bandwagon..  They will put on a good show at PPUSA, and I hope you will enjoy it.. :coolio

Oh, I am sure I will.  I am still planning on seeing SOA in a couple weeks in NYC.  Their replacement is probably about as good as I can realistically expect, but its no JLB in my mind.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3951 on: May 02, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »
Regarding the argument of "these are just the February dates", but have a look at the spacing between them and where they go geographically.

What "argument?"  That's exactly what it says on their website.  They will be touring throughout 2018, and only have February dates listed so far.  Not sure what exactly you are disputing.

Wouldn't you start in the bigger cities (bigger markets) and then move to the smaller ones? I see what Stads is trying to say and I kind of agree with him. Why not start with the bigger markets first? Flying Colors did it, AMob did it, DT did it, most of every other band has done it...why not SoA? Feels weird.

My guess, promoters.  The same people who booked all those bands mentioned probably look at this project as another one along those lines and don't want to take risks booking bigger events, lets do a test run in small markets and see if people come out.  The album didn't blow up the charts so I am not sure what the turn out will be for these shows and I imagine promoters think the same.  Remember MP struggling to get NA gigs for The Shattered Fortress?  Seems like he needs to start low with this band and build it up, no better way to do that then hit the road with what's available.

Exactly. You have to start somewhere.

This is just a trial run. If it bombs, then they're in trouble.

That said I won't be making the $25 commitment although tickets are less than I expected.

I can't see why they wouldn't be able to fill these venues. This is geared to the people who think this is Dream Theater Mach II.

I think it's a smart move even if it's the only one they can make at this point.

Get on some Euro-festivals and use those to book small US club dates and see what happens.

Shouldn't be a surprise.

So this is playing out as expected?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3952 on: May 02, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »

:lol :lol, I was thinking the same thing.  Everyone was talking about him like he is a household name and I am thinking, who?

I don't trust anybody who spells Glenn with two n's.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3953 on: May 02, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »
Well, what else can the promoter do?  Not contact SOA and try to test the waters if they are interested on a relatively short notice?  Of course, MP will take advantage of this moment if the promoter is willing to play ball.  Nothing malicious about that and remember this, it's JLB was the one that dropped out after months of promoting that he was the headliner.  That's even a worst thing to do than any intent MP has.

Yeah but if MP can just swoop in and steal the spot.. I'm sure it at least crossed his mind how this would look to JLB/DT fans.

He didn't steal the spot, it was LEFT willingly by JLB and his band

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3954 on: May 02, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
First, says who?  It does not say that is the source, and we have not seen anything from his management.  Second, and more to the point if you had actually read what I wrote, so what?  No matter who wrote it, it is still vague and does not say what the reason for the cancellation is (and it reads, to me anyway, as though that ambiguity is intentional).

Are you intentionally missing the point of my posts today, Nick?

I truly cannot see what is vague about this or how you are going to such great lengths to make it seem so? Typically you are very fond of what we know vs. speculation, but can't help like I'm living on bizzaro world in this situation. The statement comes from JLB's management, that is simply a stated fact, unless you accuse the festival of literally making up someone else's statement. The statement, while saying the band has made the decision to cancel together, specifically cites James' commitment to DT during the writing of the album as the reason for the cancellation. I just don't see what there is to argue on these points without going into blatant speculation, which again, you are typically very cautious about.

Edit: Just seeing this from another thread:

So, I talked to my peeps, and yeah, we are in fact drawing the WRONG conclusion from that announcement.  Any assumption that DT made James cancel is not accurate.  A more official clarifying announcement should be coming soon.  But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.

I'm interested in seeing this, obviously, and seeing if this announcement offers anything better than the first.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:55:39 AM by Nick »