Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467583 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3885 on: May 01, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
 :facepalm: :loser: :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3887 on: May 01, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
Well that's awesome!  I hope it will be a great show filmed at the Roman Amphitheatre..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3888 on: May 01, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »
How come sarcastic? they're actually going to do it!

https://bravewords.com/news/sons-of-apollo-september-2018-bulgaria-show-with-plovdiv-psychotic-symphony-to-be-filmed-for-dvd-release

Oh, really?  :rollin  I thought you were messing around because that is such a "Mike Portnoy" kind of show to do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3889 on: May 01, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »

https://bravewords.com/news/sons-of-apollo-september-2018-bulgaria-show-with-plovdiv-psychotic-symphony-to-be-filmed-for-dvd-release

Oh, really?  :rollin  I thought you were messing around because that is such a "Mike Portnoy" kind of show to do.

Now you're the  :loser:  bosk!!!!!

And I guess I'm in the same boat believing you.  :lol

Glad to hear the DVD is going to happen though.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3890 on: May 01, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
Curiously, the new Devin Townsend Project DVD soon to be released, was recorded at this same roman theater, on September 22th 2017. Exactly one year before!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3891 on: May 01, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »
Curiously, the new Devin Townsend Project DVD soon to be released, was recorded at this same roman theater, on September 22th 2017. Exactly one year before!

Isn’t it also with an orchestra?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3892 on: May 01, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »

Yep  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3893 on: May 01, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »

So...what exactly is "the Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony"?  And does anyone else think performing with a "symphony" (or an orchestra or a symphony orchestra) is more than a little ambitious for a more-or-less brand new band that can't even sell out relatively small clubs and is using Groupon to increase attendance?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3894 on: May 01, 2018, 05:23:12 PM »
I think they will gain popularity in time, It's just a matter of getting the name out there. The band is loaded with musicians that have alot of clout and know the business. I think by touring it will spark some interest because their live act is phenominal!  After seeing them in Seattle last night, I will never miss any of their shows when they come back around and I'll drag my friends with me.
 They need to get a good promoter and get some airplay on a song or two. That would definitively increase attendance at their shows by at least two-fold..
 I just hope this band gains momentum because they have something special. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3895 on: May 01, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »

So...what exactly is "the Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony"?  And does anyone else think performing with a "symphony" (or an orchestra or a symphony orchestra) is more than a little ambitious for a more-or-less brand new band that can't even sell out relatively small clubs and is using Groupon to increase attendance?

Maximizing what they can get out of this band before they return to other bands.  Not dumping on them, just honestly how it feels.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3896 on: May 01, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
Kataonia also did a live version of The Great Cold Distance in it's entirety at that venue with the same orchestra. Very good live album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3897 on: May 01, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »

Asia did the same deal a couple five years ago.

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #3898 on: May 01, 2018, 11:54:07 PM »
Reading how much some of the guys here liked it I really want to go see them live now!
I just hope they are going to add some more shows in Germany later this year. I don't want to go to one of the big festivals...

Maybe we'll see each other in Leipzig? I thought "Hellraiser" was a festival at first.. turns out it's the name of a venue.

Thanks for the hint, that is very interesting! Considering they play a lot of festivals in Europe and given the name "Hellraiser" I was absolutely convinced it must be one of those festivals, too... Didn't even bother looking it up.
Since the date is on a work day and Leipzig is not exactly close to where I live (about 400 km away) I have to see if I can "bend my working schedule around it", but I will definitely try to make it happen!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:01:21 AM by PepeLePew »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3899 on: May 02, 2018, 01:09:31 AM »

Now this is hilarous  ;D a band announces for real a special kind of show, and it passes as a joke because of how flamboyant the show is  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3900 on: May 02, 2018, 08:34:32 AM »
Reading how much some of the guys here liked it I really want to go see them live now!
I just hope they are going to add some more shows in Germany later this year. I don't want to go to one of the big festivals...

Maybe we'll see each other in Leipzig? I thought "Hellraiser" was a festival at first.. turns out it's the name of a venue.

Thanks for the hint, that is very interesting! Considering they play a lot of festivals in Europe and given the name "Hellraiser" I was absolutely convinced it must be one of those festivals, too... Didn't even bother looking it up.
Since the date is on a work day and Leipzig is not exactly close to where I live (about 400 km away) I have to see if I can "bend my working schedule around it", but I will definitely try to make it happen!

I'm from Dresden but study near Vienna. My last exam is the 25th of June, and I'm back home the day after that. It's only an hour drive for me, so I can't miss this :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3901 on: May 02, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
Sons are replacing James at progpower. Yawn. More bar time for me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3902 on: May 02, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
While I would have hoped for a different headliner, but I have a true appreciation for Glenn's troll level on this one.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:14:46 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3903 on: May 02, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
Wow. :lol This whole ProgPower thing is entertaining to watch.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3904 on: May 02, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »
Sons are replacing James at progpower. Yawn. More bar time for me

Seriously??!

:rollin

Honestly, they put on a great show, so it will be fun. But man, as Nick said, the troll level is pretty incredible on this.  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3905 on: May 02, 2018, 11:46:01 AM »
Wow, that makes an awkward situation even more awkward.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3906 on: May 02, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
I'm sure Mike and Derek take some satisfaction given the context

At least they're headlining so I can see the other bands then fuck off to do something else

The lineup is pretty bad now
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3907 on: May 02, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
While I would have hoped for a different headliner, I have a true appreciation for Glen's troll level on this one.

WOW  :rollin talk about drama, this is fantastic

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3908 on: May 02, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
While I would have hoped for a different headliner, I have a true appreciation for Glen's troll level on this one.

WOW  :rollin talk about drama, this is fantastic

Didn't know Glenn was that upset. What better way to get back at JLB than to bring in MPs band.

Now the DT vs. MP is refueled.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: May 02, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »

At least they're headlining so I can see the other bands then fuck off to do something else

I wouldn't put it past Mike to have gone out of his way to make this happen just to give JLB/DT another black eye at this point.  I love the dude but he's got a sinister side to him even though he tries to play the innocent card.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3910 on: May 02, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
Well, what else can the promoter do?  Not contact SOA and try to test the waters if they are interested on a relatively short notice?  Of course, MP will take advantage of this moment if the promoter is willing to play ball.  Nothing malicious about that and remember this, it's JLB was the one that dropped out after months of promoting that he was the headliner.  That's even a worst thing to do than any intent MP has.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3911 on: May 02, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »

I wouldn't put it past Mike to have gone out of his way to make this happen just to give JLB/DT another black eye at this point.  I love the dude but he's got a sinister side to him even though he tries to play the innocent card.

Basically he wanted to be the hero and save the day...FOR PROG.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: May 02, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
Well, what else can the promoter do?  Not contact SOA and try to test the waters if they are interested on a relatively short notice?  Of course, MP will take advantage of this moment if the promoter is willing to play ball.  Nothing malicious about that and remember this, it's JLB was the one that dropped out after months of promoting that he was the headliner.  That's even a worst thing to do than any intent MP has.

Nothing malicious on PP's part, great call actually when you think about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3913 on: May 02, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
Well, what else can the promoter do?  Not contact SOA and try to test the waters if they are interested on a relatively short notice?  Of course, MP will take advantage of this moment if the promoter is willing to play ball.
I don't think anybody is finding fault with the decision.  It appears to solve everybody's problems.  Whatever the issues with the JLB band, they aren't playing, which is what they wanted.  The promoter has a headliner, which is what he wanted.  SOA had another festival gig, even if it is a small one, which is the type of thing they are looking for.  Everybody is happy, right?  What's the problem?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3914 on: May 02, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »

And, you know this...how?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3915 on: May 02, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
There's no problem at all.  I don't have any issues.  I'm just questioning Mindflux's post that MP's intention to seize the moment in this spot is deemed "sinister" which I don't find.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3916 on: May 02, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »

And, you know this...how?

I should've put that in green.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3917 on: May 02, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
There's no problem at all.  I don't have any issues.  I'm just questioning Mindflux's post that MP's intention to seize the moment in this spot is deemed "sinister" which I don't find.

Because the dude does lots of stuff to get people riled up (intentionally or otherwise) ? His whole twitter account is littered people getting riled up and then claiming he was 'misunderstood'.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3918 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
Ok, but what about in this case?  I see nothing wrong with MP trying to get a festival slot for his band after one guy pulled out and it just so happens to be JLB.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3919 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »

Yeah but if MP can just swoop in and steal the spot.. I'm sure it at least crossed his mind how this would look to JLB/DT fans.