Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467899 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3850 on: April 29, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
For those that have been to shows, how well are they filling these venues?
In Săo Paulo/Brazil I believe it was almost sold out. But this post made me feel a bit worried about the attendance at the USA shows:
https://www.facebook.com/SonsOfApollo1/posts/298998203967319
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:41:29 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3851 on: April 29, 2018, 06:26:04 PM »
I see Mike has been on the defensive on his own facebook. Sheesh dude, you're embarrassing yourself, stop responding to facebook comments and bitching about bmouth
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3852 on: April 29, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
For those that have been to shows, how well are they filling these venues?

Don't think the House of Blues show in Anaheim will have the greatest turnout.  The Groupon deal for $20.00 is still up and only 9 tickets has been bought.  The capacity is around 2,000 people and when I saw Halestorm and Breaking Benjamin in that same building last October, the place was packed in both shows and they were charging around $35.00-$45.00 plus fees in those shows, but those bands are modern superstars in our rock world today.

That stated, they are doing both Anaheim and LA in the same leg of the tour and sometimes, that may not be the greatest approach to do both major cities in SoCal in one tour leg and they may risk a bit of oversaturation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3853 on: April 29, 2018, 06:38:39 PM »
SOA wasn't on Groupon here, but this was!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/goldstar-scream-for-me-sarajevo
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3854 on: April 29, 2018, 10:31:08 PM »
SOA was on Groupon here until 2 days before the show.  But while it wasn't a sellout, it was pretty well attended.  I second Samsara's review.  It was a fantastic show.  I will post details later, but I echo his sentiments about it FAR exceeding expectations and being a great time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #3855 on: April 30, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
Reading how much some of the guys here liked it I really want to go see them live now!
I just hope they are going to add some more shows in Germany later this year. I don't want to go to one of the big festivals...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3856 on: April 30, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
Reading how much some of the guys here liked it I really want to go see them live now!
I just hope they are going to add some more shows in Germany later this year. I don't want to go to one of the big festivals...

Maybe we'll see each other in Leipzig? I thought "Hellraiser" was a festival at first.. turns out it's the name of a venue.

any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3857 on: April 30, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »
Saw Sons of Apollo this past Saturday night.  Fantastic show.  As a fun, Saturday night rock show, it doesn't get much better.  Granted, I am a fan of their album.  But even if I were just lukewarm on it, I would have loved this show.

I echo everything in Samsara's review.  He nailed it.  And let me also just say that, with no disrespect intended toward Dream Theater at all, Lines in the Sand has not been performed that well in a long, long, LONG time.  It may be the best live performance of the song I have ever personally witnessed.

If I were doing a full review of the show, it would be overwhelmingly positive.  So let me just focus on the couple of things that I did not like, just to change it up a bit.

-First, the instrumentals/solo spots.  I make it no secret that I generally don't care for instrumental songs as much as songs with vocals.  I tend to like songs with good instrumental passages.  But purely instrumental songs can be harder to relate to and like.  Couple that with the fact that I don't like Opus Maximus very much and don't feel it is a strong instrumental at all.  So, everybody got a solo spot.  Mike's was a fairly shot and sweet drum break that was part of a song (I forget which one now).  Its brevity and tastefulness actually served it well.  Ron did his Pink Panther thing.  That's kinda his thing, so I expected it.  But it also wasn't too long, and was fun and not too "out there."  Jeff's vocal solo spot with the Save Me cover was interesting and different, and the crowd participation part kept us interested.  But after three pretty good solo spots, the show really did NOT need Derek and Billy solo spots.  And both of them were VERY long and drawn out.  I completely lost interest and just wished they would be over.  By the time they finally got to Opus Maximus late in the set, I was done with instrumental stuff and just wanted the next song.  It was cool that the band tried to give us our money's worth by playing a long set.  But then again, it did feel like it was packed with some filler that I not only could do without, but actively wished they had skipped over.

-Jeff's stage banter was juvenile and profanity laden EVERY. SINGLE. TIME he opened his mouth.  It was disappointing to hear him talk with the vocabulary of a 12-year old trying to sound cool and tough.  I mean, he was obviously trying to hype up the crowd.  And overall, he was successful.  But those of us who may be a bit more discerning--or at least, just speaking for this particular fan--I came away severely disappointed with how he presented himself as a front man in that regard. 

Those two gripes aside, I again want to come back to what I said initially.  This was a fantastic show, and I would HIGHLY recommend seeing these guys given the opportunity.  It was one of the most fun shows I have been to in a long time, and the band was super tight and played at a high level.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3858 on: April 30, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »
Good review Bosk1.  I see what you are saying about the stage banter. I don't know why so many Rock musicians feel the need to use profanity on stage. I guess it makes them feel cool or tough in some junior high school rebel kind of way..  That's what I love about bands like Rush, they have class and keep their show clean for all ages to enjoy, on the most part.  Even more-so with Boston, I've seen them live several times and there were never any F-bombs or anything like that...Same with Yes. 
 I always appreciate bands that present themselves in a good way.  I just saw Nightwish 3 weeks ago, and the kept clean and classy and rocked like there was no tomorrow!  :tup :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3859 on: April 30, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Yeah, I noticed the heavy use of foul language as well. It didn't detract from the show for me, but I could have done without half of that. Dropping a few words here and there is expected in the excitement and adrenaline of the show. But JSS was a little overboard.

Another thing I wanted to add was the JSS/Bumblefoot spot where they covered Queen was really good. Nice to hear JSS' clean voice. Sounded amazing.

I typically echo bosk1 regarding solo spots -- no need for em, unless they were like JSS', where he and Bumble did something cool together. But a bass solo? Really? Billy is awesome, but c'mon. They could have easily removed that and played another tune. But that's a minor complaint. I really had a great time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3860 on: April 30, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
Just how bad was the profanity? If I'm at a rock/metal show I am never surprised to hear a lot of profanity on stage...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3861 on: April 30, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
I typically echo bosk1 regarding solo spots -- no need for em, unless they were like JSS', where he and Bumble did something cool together. But a bass solo? Really? Billy is awesome, but c'mon. They could have easily removed that and played another tune.

Yeah.  For Derek and Billy, they should have taken a cue from Mike and just done like a little 30 second solo spot as an intro into a song or something instead of the extended solo spots.  To take Billy's for example, with a player of his caliber, I get having a little spot for him to showcase himself.  But at the end of the day, it's still a bass solo, and still wasn't all that interesting after the first 30 seconds.  Just give him a short intro spot and call it a day.

Just how bad was the profanity? If I'm at a rock/metal show I am never surprised to hear a lot of profanity on stage...

Every time he talked, no matter what he was saying, it was like every other sentence HAD TO have an f-bomb.  I don't expect there NOT to be profanity at a concert.  I mean, I wish every musician I would go see was more articulate and mature than that.  But I don't expect it.  But it was MUCH more than the small handful I would have expected.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3862 on: April 30, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
Glad people are enjoying the live shows! It seems that the songs translate much better live than on the album.

As far as solo spots go, I like them if and only if they are actually interesting. I love instrumentals, whether composed or improvised, but some musicians have a tough time with solo spots because  all they do is shred and there's nothing of substance. This was the case with many solos on the album as well, particularly Derek's.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3863 on: April 30, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »

Every time he talked, no matter what he was saying, it was like every other sentence HAD TO have an f-bomb.  I don't expect there NOT to be profanity at a concert.  I mean, I wish every musician I would go see was more articulate and mature than that.  But I don't expect it.  But it was MUCH more than the small handful I would have expected.

That really bothers me too. I remember an old Transatlantic DVD where Mike Portnoy grabs the mic and says something like "it's all fucking epics tonight" and I just cringe so hard.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3864 on: April 30, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
I get turned off too when there is a lot of cursing just for the sake of cursing during the show.

A bit off topic, but I recently bought Metallica’s Live Shit: Binge and Purge... I used to listen to this a lot when it first came out, but it had been several years since I listened. It was strange hearing how mich James cursed, especially given that in more recent shows he barely curses at all.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3865 on: May 01, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »
I get turned off too when there is a lot of cursing just for the sake of cursing during the show.

A bit off topic, but I recently bought Metallica’s Live Shit: Binge and Purge... I used to listen to this a lot when it first came out, but it had been several years since I listened. It was strange hearing how mich James cursed, especially given that in more recent shows he barely curses at all.

Well, he's a 55 year old man now.

Of course, JSS is only 2 years younger, but that makes cursing just for the sake of it appear even more childish. If he was a 27 y/o dude who just got his first gig in a cool band and can't handle his own excitement, I'd probably buy it to some extend. But he's supposed to be a professional, and a professional should be able to express himself properly.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3866 on: May 01, 2018, 03:11:09 AM »
There's nothing wrong with any little cursing here and there, especially to the ears of a non native speaker to which the words sound like embellishment and not much more, but I agree than when it's done over and over and over, it loses its "value" and becomes corny. Even Bruce Dickinson I guess sometimes says "Scream for me" and then louder "Scream for me, I can't f'kin' hear you", stuffl ike that is ok, but replacing punctuation with curse words is silly.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3867 on: May 01, 2018, 06:14:21 AM »
I just got home from the Seattle show, and they did not disappoint. All I can say right now is WOW!!! I am so glad I went.. I'll post a more detailed review later, but for now, I gotta catch up on some rest..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3868 on: May 01, 2018, 06:19:21 AM »
There's nothing wrong with any little cursing here and there, especially to the ears of a non native speaker to which the words sound like embellishment and not much more, but I agree than when it's done over and over and over, it loses its "value" and becomes corny. Even Bruce Dickinson I guess sometimes says "Scream for me" and then louder "Scream for me, I can't f'kin' hear you", stuffl ike that is ok, but replacing punctuation with curse words is silly.

inb4 "cut this shit off from me" from their performances of One  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3869 on: May 01, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »
I just got home from the Seattle show, and they did not disappoint. All I can say right now is WOW!!! I am so glad I went.. I'll post a more detailed review later, but for now, I gotta catch up on some rest..

Cool. Glad you decided to go!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3870 on: May 01, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »

inb4 "cut this shit off from me" from their performances of One  :lol

See, that works, it actually adds more anger to the desperate situation of the mutilated soldier, it's one of those things that pump you up more live. It has to be dosed here and there though.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3871 on: May 01, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »
Loving the positive gig reviews.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3872 on: May 01, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »

Well, he's a 55 year old man now.

Of course, JSS is only 2 years younger, but that makes cursing just for the sake of it appear even more childish. If he was a 27 y/o dude who just got his first gig in a cool band and can't handle his own excitement, I'd probably buy it to some extend. But he's supposed to be a professional, and a professional should be able to express himself properly.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally speaking, when Paul Stanley is in makeup he doesn't swear much.  When Paul was out of makeup, he swore like a truck driver, and as much of a Kiss fan as I am, it really made me uncomfortable.   I do swear on occasion, but to me, as a general rule I feel like profanity is only the lack of better words to use.   Nothing bugs me more than those reality shows where every third word is bleeped and these idiots think they're some kind of bad-ass because they "don't care".  Please.  You're a meathead. 

My two cents.   

I think from the reviews, though, I'm going to go see them in a couple weeks.  Before this I was on the fence.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3873 on: May 01, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
I find it funny the only thing to complain about is cursing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3874 on: May 01, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
I find it funny the only other thing people seem to complain about is Derek's playing, solo spots. and stage presence.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3875 on: May 01, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
I find it funny the only other thing people seem to complain about is Derek's playing, solo spots. and stage presence.

???  Why?

(and I don't think people complained about Derek's playing or stage presence, did they?)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3876 on: May 01, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Complain is probably the wrong word, and in looking back I misread Samsara's thoughts on Derek. But I swear I read at least one person say Derek seemed the least "in to" the performance. Maybe it was elsewhere.

So the general consensus from what I have read here seems to be "Ron is amazing and the standout member of the band, JSS is great, Mike was typical Mike (meaning great), Billy was fine on the bass, and oh yeah Derek played the keys." Which would be fine, except the band member least lauded is the one who has been the most vocal about the band's awesomeness.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3877 on: May 01, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »
Derek was probably into it. He's just so busy with his "serious face" trying to show just how into it he really is!  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3878 on: May 01, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
Complain is probably the wrong word, and in looking back I misread Samsara's thoughts on Derek. But I swear I read at least one person say Derek seemed the least "in to" the performance. Maybe it was elsewhere.

I think you missed the rest of my commentary on Derek. I said that he wasn't as into the performance as the others were to my eyes, likely because he was having issues with his tech, who Derek waved away from the stage multiple times, and at least once, jumped off stage to head side-stage and have an animated conversation with the guy. Apparently not everything was right, and Derek was very obviously miffed about it.

That's the first time I ever saw Derek be detached somewhat from the show, probably because he was a little frustrated and had trouble getting back in the groove. The two other times I saw him (both with DT in the 1990s) he was fully into things.

But despite that, Derek played great, and I enjoyed it. I love Derek's music, so there's no hate here. It was just an observation that there were some technical glitches that got Derek a little annoyed, and I noticed him become a bit detached, likely because of it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3879 on: May 01, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »
I noticed at the Seattle show last night, that the foul language was toned down. Probably due to the fact that a 7 year old little girl was up front with her dad. She was wearing a small red pair of red horns on her head and really into the show. JSS took notice and said that it was too precious and invited her on stage. He let her talk into the microphone and she said she was having so much fun!  So I thought that was a really cool thing for Jeff to do, that little girl and her father will never forget that.
 I was really impressed with JSS as a frontman, and his vocals are awesome!  Bumblefoot really sounded great with the high harmonies and his guitar playing is out of this world good. He radiates a good vibe from the stage and I can tell he's probably a really good soul. I loved the sounds he gets on the fretless guitar too.
   Mike Portnoy was amazing and seemed to be really happy with this band, and his drum sound was the best I've heard.
 Billy Sheehan is a real treat to see live, and I'm so glad he's in this band. Hope he remains in SOA for the long haul.
  As someone said earlier, Derek sounded amazing.  He really has some great organic sounds and really is a powerhouse live. So glad he's in this band!
 All in all, this was one of the best and most fun concerts I've ever seen and I really hope they make a DVD release from this tour. I'll be the first to buy it!  I also hope they stay together and make several albums with this line-up..   :metal
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:22:28 PM by Architeuthis »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3880 on: May 01, 2018, 12:48:55 PM »
All in all, this was one of the best and most fun concerts I've ever seen and I really hope they make a DVD release from this tour.

They will, in Bulgaria (or something), playing with an orchestra and with a second set of cover songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3881 on: May 01, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
Well that's good news! I'd prefer it without an orchestra though..  :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3882 on: May 01, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the next album as well, now that they will have had time to gell together as a band and develop a lot of chemistry. 

It looks like they've got some pretty solid festival bookings in Europe over the summer, so that should get them some good exposure.  Too bad they haven't gotten on any in the U.S.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3883 on: May 01, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
All in all, this was one of the best and most fun concerts I've ever seen and I really hope they make a DVD release from this tour.

They will, in Bulgaria (or something), playing with an orchestra and with a second set of cover songs.

I missed that entirely. Very cool. I'll be buying it for sure!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3884 on: May 01, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »

I missed that entirely. Very cool. I'll be buying it for sure!

He was being sarcastic.