Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468208 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3745 on: March 26, 2018, 03:40:31 AM »
Apparently the band released a six track EP with Spanish, acoustic and radio-edit versions of Alive. They'll also release a video. I seriously don't understand the purpose of this.

It’s a great day to be a Sons Of Apollo fan!!! OUT TODAY is our new 6-Song EP for ALIVE / TENGO VIDA! Yes, 6 different versions: English, Spanish, Acoustic & Radio Edits! Get it NOW:
https://soa.lnk.to/AliveTengoVidaEP
(And coming at the beginning of next week is the TENGO VIDA Music Video...)

I would argue that no song deserves six different versions by the same band, least of all this. It's an okay song, nothing more.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3746 on: March 26, 2018, 05:49:36 AM »
Oh my god, the Spanish version is fucking funny. I seriously hope they do not play that when I see them (yes, I'm actually going to a festival this summer where SoA happens to be playing)

My Spanish isn't world-class, but I'm preeeeeetty sure "tengo vida" does not mean "I'm alive" but "I have life" which really doesn't mean anything

While the translation is not 100% accurate, both of those have the same meaning and "tengo vida" might fit the lyrics better that "Estoy vivo" which is how you actually say I'm alive.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3747 on: March 26, 2018, 06:39:17 AM »
Of all the things to release in 6 languages why the hell would you pick the most boring song on the album next to Figaro's Whore and Coming Home? 'cause estoy vivooo (estoy vivoooo)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3748 on: March 26, 2018, 06:42:48 AM »
Oh my god, the Spanish version is fucking funny. I seriously hope they do not play that when I see them (yes, I'm actually going to a festival this summer where SoA happens to be playing)

My Spanish isn't world-class, but I'm preeeeeetty sure "tengo vida" does not mean "I'm alive" but "I have life" which really doesn't mean anything

While the translation is not 100% accurate, both of those have the same meaning and "tengo vida" might fit the lyrics better that "Estoy vivo" which is how you actually say I'm alive.

“Vivo estoy” is more accurate and works much better than “tengo vida”.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3749 on: March 26, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »
Of all the things to release in 6 languages why the hell would you pick the most boring song on the album next to Figaro's Whore and Coming Home? 'cause estoy vivooo (estoy vivoooo)

Figaro's Whore in six different languages would be a nice addition.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3750 on: March 26, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »

Figaro's Whore in six different languages would be a nice addition.  :metal

:lol

*progs in French*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3751 on: March 26, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »
I will say....

Labyrinth kicks so much ass...especially live. That has to be my favorite song.

Bumblefoot and JSS shine on this song, makes me wonder...is BS the weakest of the group?
Still don't understand why BS has a double neck.

I will say though....Labryinth is what the rest of the album should've been.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3752 on: March 27, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
Listened to the album again in its entirety. I just can't shake the feeling this could have been much better with a different singer. I just don't think JSS' voice and the music are a good match. It needs a more dynamic singer. And don't get me wrong, I love JSS, just...this just doesn't do it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3753 on: March 27, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
Listened to the album again in its entirety. I just can't shake the feeling this could have been much better with a different singer. I just don't think JSS' voice and the music are a good match. It needs a more dynamic singer. And don't get me wrong, I love JSS, just...this just doesn't do it.

Completely agree. When I first listened to it, I could’t stop thinking on how much better the songs could’ve sounded with someone like Russell Allen, for example.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3754 on: March 27, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »
Just for a lark, I wanted to see if there were still many tickets available for the May 12th show in St. Charles, IL. Well, the ticketmaster map doesn't show me availability, but they have two sections for tickets: $74 for the BALCONY seats, or $114 for main floor tickets. And that's not even including all the fees.

EDIT: Okay, so Ticketmaster didn't tell me this but apparently I was looking at resale tickets? So are they sold out, or what? Those are the only options, $74 and $114. This doesn't make sense to me. Tickets range from $23-69 according to SoA's site. What's up? I legit thought everybody just sold tickets through ticketmaster in general...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:05:56 PM by Kattoelox »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3755 on: March 27, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
Just for a lark, I wanted to see if there were still many tickets available for the May 12th show in St. Charles, IL. Well, the ticketmaster map doesn't show me availability, but they have two sections for tickets: $74 for the BALCONY seats, or $114 for main floor tickets. And that's not even including all the fees.

You have got to be shitting me. The first go round tickets were like $25-30, and they don't even draw a massive audience. What a joke  :lol

Speaking from experience, Onesti charges ridiculous prices on a regular basis for shows at the Arcada. I believe these are more him than who the performer is. The man is an endless talker who pimps himself out before/during/after every show there. He can't stop talking.

For instance, the first time I saw the Winery Dogs the tix were like $25 at a different venue. The next time around (same tour) they were at the Arcada and Onesti wanted like $50 or $60 for the cheapest tix.

Rear of the balcony for SOA is $29. I saw Queensryche in the balcony and it's not a bad seat at all. Those were roughly $100 (after fees) tickets in the front of the balcony for the current lineup minus Rockenfield. Honestly, there are no bad seats at the Arcada, really.

You can find better ticket details here:

https://www.etix.com/ticket/v/12589/the-arcada-theatre

I can't stand the man (Onesti), but he does bring some decent shows to within 30 minutes of where I live.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3756 on: March 27, 2018, 03:16:05 PM »
Thanks for that, Professor! Much better. And hey, turns out Dweezil Zappa and King's X are coming through around that time too. Thanks double :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3757 on: March 27, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »
$25 for the show at the House of Blues in Anaheim...PLUS the 11 fucking dollars in "service fees"!  $36 isn't bad at all, but just charge $36.  Don't tell me it's $25 and then add bullshit service fees that amount to 44% of the ticket price.  I wonder if I can just go to the box office and buy a ticket....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3758 on: March 27, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »
$25 for the show at the House of Blues in Anaheim...PLUS the 11 fucking dollars in "service fees"!  $36 isn't bad at all, but just charge $36.  Don't tell me it's $25 and then add bullshit service fees that amount to 44% of the ticket price.  I wonder if I can just go to the box office and buy a ticket....

Same thing happened to me while buying tickets to see Halestorm and Breaking Benjamin at the same venue.  Halestorm was $35.00 (fees were $11.50).  Breaking Benjamin was $45 ($13.50 in fees!).  It also made me mad that the month before the Halestorm concert (after I bought the ticket), Anaheim HOB was doing a sale where tickets for Halestorm were $25.00.  At least, parking is more reasonable there.  You get the first two hours for free once the HOB validates your parking ticket and afterwards, it is $3.00 a hour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3759 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:29 PM »

You should call their box office, it's very possible you can avoid fees with this method.  Or just buy at the door, assuming GA and it won't sell out (probably won't but I don't know the venue). I've learned that there's no point in buying GA tickets for shows early that won't sell out, because often there are deals wether between their own box office or resale.  Trying to get a seat, well that's a different story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3760 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »

You should call their box office, it's very possible you can avoid fees with this method.  Or just buy at the door, assuming GA and it won't sell out (probably won't but I don't know the venue). I've learned that there's no point in buying GA tickets for shows early that won't sell out, because often there are deals wether between their own box office or resale.  Trying to get a seat, well that's a different story.

Here in Hartford, which is almost all done by the same promoter - if you wait for lawn seats at the local amphitheater, you can  basically get in  for $20 no matter who the show is.    They just dump lawn seats right before the show (or walk up).   It's a 20,000 seat venue, so if the lawn is open, unless it's DMB or Pearl Jam (or some of the rap shows) you're in.

Suffice to say, though, Sons of Apollo are NOT playing there.  ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3761 on: March 28, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »
Can't be arsed to look through the wayback pages of the thread or listen to the dreadful album myself but which song has the part that sounds like Haken? Because I'm listening to 1985 as part of my roulette and holy hell is that a blatant ripoff. What was it, God of the Sun?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3762 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:49 AM »

You have got to be shitting me. The first go round tickets were like $25-30, and they don't even draw a massive audience. What a joke  :lol

Speaking from experience, Onesti charges ridiculous prices on a regular basis for shows at the Arcada. I believe these are more him than who the performer is. The man is an endless talker who pimps himself out before/during/after every show there. He can't stop talking.

For instance, the first time I saw the Winery Dogs the tix were like $25 at a different venue. The next time around (same tour) they were at the Arcada and Onesti wanted like $50 or $60 for the cheapest tix.

Rear of the balcony for SOA is $29. I saw Queensryche in the balcony and it's not a bad seat at all. Those were roughly $100 (after fees) tickets in the front of the balcony for the current lineup minus Rockenfield. Honestly, there are no bad seats at the Arcada, really.

You can find better ticket details here:

https://www.etix.com/ticket/v/12589/the-arcada-theatre

I can't stand the man (Onesti), but he does bring some decent shows to within 30 minutes of where I live.

Fully agreed - I'd love to see some of the shows at the Arcada Theater, but I refuse to pay over $100 for a decent floor seat in a theater for a band like Anthrax or Queensryche, where tickets cost half of that or less at a regular concert hall.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:09:07 AM by Grappler »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3763 on: March 28, 2018, 10:01:27 AM »
Are SoA really that popular that they get to book extra tour dates? Well, there goes my hope of Flying Colors III happening any time soon...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3764 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
I think FC III is already underway, as I understand it.  But they aren't mutually exclusive.  Mike and the other guys in FC have said they are committed to FC III, so I wouldn't worry about it.  The way they work, they develop ideas on their own and shoot ideas back and forth, so when they actually come together, the "writing" goes quickly (as is the case with a lot of MP projects). 

But as far as SoA and more tour dates, they are doing exactly what they said they would do--committing 2018 to give as big a push as possible to get the band out there.  Whether they succeed or fail, the effort and commitment are to be admired.  (contrast with Queensryche's lack thereof since ousting Tate)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3765 on: March 28, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
Are SoA really that popular that they get to book extra tour dates? Well, there goes my hope of Flying Colors III happening any time soon...

In my interview with Neal Morse he said "FC III is up in the air".

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3766 on: April 14, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
So, I'm looking at Groupon for some good concert deals and the SOA show at the Anaheim House of Blues is on it and GA tickets are at $20.00 for the time being.  Is buying tickets on Groupon legit and I can buy it at that price without any additional fees?  If so, it's pretty darn tempting. 

The problem is for me is that I'm seeing Myles Kennedy on May 6th and the SOA show is on May 4th and I don't think I would be able to handle two concerts in that time span.  Maybe if the shows were three days apart, I would be tempted a bit more.

Also, look at this particular description on the "whose in the band" description on the Groupon page.

"Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian: the former an award-winning drummer, the latter a keyboardist who’s played with Alice Cooper and KISS—together they co-founded prog-metal band Dream Theater."  That's new to me, I didn't know Derek co-founded DT.  ::) :o

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3767 on: April 15, 2018, 12:20:17 AM »
Now that right there is a fail!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3768 on: April 15, 2018, 06:26:06 AM »
I've bought tickets via groupon before, you have nothing to worry about, it's legit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3769 on: April 15, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »
I've bought tickets via groupon before, you have nothing to worry about, it's legit.

Same and there are no fees

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3770 on: April 15, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
$20 is way too much money to spend on seeing this side project.

Offline max_security

« Reply #3771 on: April 15, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »
$20 is way too much money to spend on seeing this side project.

Well , maybe too much for the end - all of progressive metal supergroups . But I would pay 20 bucks to watch Mike and Billy play Nickleback ( or insert lame band here ) covers . Plus I think Mike said this is his main band from here on out !!! 

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3772 on: April 15, 2018, 11:46:32 AM »
If Mike said that, it must be true!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3773 on: April 15, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
Then again, Billy says the Winery Dogs are his favorite band..  ::)

Offline max_security

« Reply #3774 on: April 15, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »

I know , and he does not talk much about this one.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3775 on: April 15, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
They just played a few shows in Brazil, and had a blast!!!! The crowds there love Soto and Portnoy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3776 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »

I know , and he does not talk much about this one.

Well, if Ritchie didn't want a break, TWD would have probably done an album and be touring this year and we wouldn't have SOA.  Billy seems like a pretty positive attitude type of guy, I'm sure he doesn't want to say anything to make Ritchie or SOA look bad by expressing such an opinion.  Just my thoughts. (I had no idea Billy said TWD were his favorite)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3777 on: April 16, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
Not sure about other places, but Sons of Apollo is available as a Groupon special in my city. I bought a ticket when the show was announced, but they are now on 2 for 1...show must not be selling. Sucks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3778 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »
Not sure about other places, but Sons of Apollo is available as a Groupon special in my city. I bought a ticket when the show was announced, but they are now on 2 for 1...show must not be selling. Sucks.

Can we just be honest and admit this is Adrenaline Mob 2.0 but with prog instead of frat boy metal?

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #3779 on: April 17, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
Gotta say, the album itself just doesn't do anything for me really.  However, I just saw a cover of Lines in the Sand on YouTube and it was actually pretty great!  I might have to try to give the SoA album another listen now.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson