Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467923 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3605 on: March 08, 2018, 04:46:37 AM »
This interview was really good, Rodrigo!
Interesting to know that Jeff isn’t much a fan of prog metal. This makes me wonder if this is the reason his vocals, although good, aren’t the strongest part in the album. Maybe the style of the band will shift in the future to a more straight hard rock?
Also very funny that the band didn’t see the similarities in the backing vocals of coming home and alive until the people on internet pointed out!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:06:15 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3606 on: March 08, 2018, 06:31:33 AM »
This may be a silly question but if you want to form the prog metal band to end all prog metal bands, why hire a singer who isn't a big fan of prog metal?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3607 on: March 08, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
This may be a silly question but if you want to form the prog metal band to end all prog metal bands, why hire a singer who isn't a big fan of prog metal?

Yeah, really good point.  :justjen  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_LaBrie#Winter_Rose
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3608 on: March 08, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »

Yeah, really good point.  :justjen  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_LaBrie#Winter_Rose

I don't get it?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3609 on: March 08, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »

Well, what you posted shows that James was on a glam band before DT, not that James wasn't a fan of prog or anything like that. What kaos2900 is saying is that SOA was first announced as the new kings of prog metal and blah blah, but, it doesn't really make sense to include a singer who isn't even a fan of the genere you're trying to be the king of.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3610 on: March 08, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
I may be biased, but to say that he wasn't a fan or didn't have the knowledge of Dream Theater's output doesn't mean that he can't contribute and/or write music in that vein. I think that he was invited to join SOA for a reason, and I appreciate the fact that his background is not exactly prog related.

And hey, album 2 next year!!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3611 on: March 08, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
A singer is a singer. Just because you begin singing a certain style, doesn't mean you're only going to sing that style for the entirety of your career. JSS cut his teeth singing for Yngwie's style of neoclassical metal, then did melodic hard rock and AOR, and now he's back fronting a prog metal band. A singer sings. If he or she is adaptable, they can do anything.

Hell, Lacuna Coil singer Cristina Scabbia was a pop singer before signing on to do metal.

I don't particularly like the choice of JSS (no disrespect to him at all), as I personally wanted an old school tenor metal singer who can hit piercing highs, and really go for broke, but that's not what the band wanted. The album is solid, JSS is a great live singer, and that's that. Who cares what he did beforehand?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3612 on: March 08, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
Well, I can't speak for anyone else.  But I know for me, I didn't buy the album and avoided any possible songs on the Internet because Soto didn't have a prog enough background.  But that's just me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3613 on: March 08, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
A singer is a singer. Just because you begin singing a certain style, doesn't mean you're only going to sing that style for the entirety of your career. JSS cut his teeth singing for Yngwie's style of neoclassical metal, then did melodic hard rock and AOR, and now he's back fronting a prog metal band. A singer sings. If he or she is adaptable, they can do anything.

Hell, Lacuna Coil singer Cristina Scabbia was a pop singer before signing on to do metal.

I don't particularly like the choice of JSS (no disrespect to him at all), as I personally wanted an old school tenor metal singer who can hit piercing highs, and really go for broke, but that's not what the band wanted. The album is solid, JSS is a great live singer, and that's that. Who cares what he did beforehand?

Agreed. Didn't  Nuno Bettancourt tour with Beyonce? Sometimes its good to mix it up.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3614 on: March 08, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

Agreed. Didn't  Nuno Bettancourt tour with Beyonce? Sometimes its good to mix it up.

Nuno was (or is) musical director for Rihanna and toured with her for a few years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3615 on: March 09, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
A singer is a singer

Agreed.  Doesn't matter if he likes the genre or not, as long as he is into what he is doing with SOA then his musical past and personal tastes don't really matter. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3616 on: March 09, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
In theory, yes, a good singer can get into any given song and/or give a good performance of anything he can sing.

But if you're putting together the next supergroup of some genre, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to hire someone who doesn't like that genre and has said so.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #3617 on: March 09, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
It's worth noting that Gavin Harrison, albeit a drummer, was not a fan of prog and he's phenomenal in Porcupine Tree. That may be an apples/oranges comparison, but I think it's at least 50% relevant.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3618 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »
In theory, yes, a good singer can get into any given song and/or give a good performance of anything he can sing.

But if you're putting together the next supergroup of some genre, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to hire someone who doesn't like that genre and has said so.

But is that what MP and DS specifically said the intent was? To put together a supergroup of prog metal players? If they did, then i stand corrected. I haven't followed what they have said all that closely. But I thought the idea was for DS and MP to put together a prog metal band, and get good players (regardless of genre) to fill out the band. And isn't that what they did?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3619 on: March 09, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
I don’t think so. My understanding was that they wanted to form a prog metal band in a similar vein as DT, not necessarily a supergroup of prog musicians. The lineup certainly isn’t a who’s who of prog. Even beyond Soto, I don’t really see the other musicians as guys with prog backgrounds (not counting MP ofc).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3620 on: March 09, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Here's something to think about:  I think that Jeff not being into prog metal is about the MOST prog metal thing about Sons of Apollo.   I've long said here that as much as I love Mike Portnoy and his music (well, his music) I think he suffers when he tries to do too much, and compartmentalize.   I don't think it's productive from a creative standpoint to have a "prog" project, a "thrash" project, a "pop" project, a "hard rock" project...  I think the best music comes from the intersection of ideas.   Dream Theater didn't start out as "prog metal", they started out as a bunch of guys that liked Metallica, Rush, Maiden, Journey and Queen, and their music reflected that.

I think Jeff bringing in the stuff he likes - non-prog metal - is good for the project, certainly better than him spewing out prog metal clichés and tropes. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3621 on: March 09, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »

But is that what MP and DS specifically said the intent was? To put together a supergroup of prog metal players? If they did, then i stand corrected. I haven't followed what they have said all that closely. But I thought the idea was for DS and MP to put together a prog metal band, and get good players (regardless of genre) to fill out the band. And isn't that what they did?

Okay, poor choice of words on my part.  Prog metal "supergroup" would imply that each member was highly respected in the prog metal genre.

I don't remember the exact wording he used (and don't really care enough to scroll back through 100 pages), but I'm pretty sure MP said that SoA was going to be the next prog metal gods or superstars or something.  I'm pretty sure "prog metal" was in there, but now it's not.  And I believe it's at least partly because they started working together, and Soto mentioned that he doesn't really like prog metal, so they backed off on that.  Now they're just a rock and roll band.  Nothing wrong with that, but the focus did seem to change.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3622 on: March 09, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
Here's something to think about:  I think that Jeff not being into prog metal is about the MOST prog metal thing about Sons of Apollo.   I've long said here that as much as I love Mike Portnoy and his music (well, his music) I think he suffers when he tries to do too much, and compartmentalize.   I don't think it's productive from a creative standpoint to have a "prog" project, a "thrash" project, a "pop" project, a "hard rock" project...  I think the best music comes from the intersection of ideas.   Dream Theater didn't start out as "prog metal", they started out as a bunch of guys that liked Metallica, Rush, Maiden, Journey and Queen, and their music reflected that.

I think Jeff bringing in the stuff he likes - non-prog metal - is good for the project, certainly better than him spewing out prog metal clichés and tropes.

I kind of agree with this.  Being somewhat on the outside of the prog scene, he would bring different influences to the table that could add to the music.  Sadly, I don't think that was the case with this album though as my understanding is that he was pretty much told what to do here. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3623 on: March 09, 2018, 01:10:30 PM »

I kind of agree with this.  Being somewhat on the outside of the prog scene, he would bring different influences to the table that could add to the music.  Sadly, I don't think that was the case with this album though as my understanding is that he was pretty much told what to do here.

And that's likely not going to change. DS and MP have made it clear they call the shots, and Derek is the primary songwriter (music). They brought on three other guys to contribute, but those three won't ever steer the ship, creatively.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3624 on: March 09, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
Didn't JLB hear the Status Seeker demo & loved it though? Obviously he'd have to like the style a least a little to have considered joining the band though.

Not that it matters at all whether JSS is a fan of prog metal, but I figured I'd at least point it out.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3625 on: March 09, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
Didn't JLB hear the Status Seeker demo & loved it though? Obviously he'd have to like the style a least a little to have considered joining the band though.

Not that it matters at all whether JSS is a fan of prog metal, but I figured I'd at least point it out.

Also, LaBrie was a Rush fan sooooooo....I mean, that kind of makes him a prog fan even if he liked other straight forward metal as well. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3626 on: March 10, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »
Regardless of what JSS likes or dislikes, he is considered to be a prog rock legend by way of his performances on the first 3 Yngwie albums.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline max_security

« Reply #3627 on: March 10, 2018, 08:04:23 AM »
Regardless of what JSS likes or dislikes, he is considered to be a prog rock legend by way of his performances on the first 3 Yngwie albums.

First 2 , but yeah I agree.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3628 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »

First 2 , but yeah I agree.

His performance on Marching Out is one of the easily a TAC Top 10 Vocal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3629 on: March 11, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »

Yeah, but making the TAC Top 10 Vocal list is like making the Circus Top 10 Keyboardists list in 1984. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3630 on: March 11, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »

Yeah, but making the TAC Top 10 Vocal list is like making the Circus Top 10 Keyboardists list in 1984. :P

Readers Poll Winners!

I had this issue!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3631 on: March 11, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
Was that the year Eddie Van Halen won best keyboardist because of Jump? :lol :lol

Check that: that came out in Feb 1984, EVH probably won it in 1985 since Jump would have still been too new.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3632 on: March 11, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »
I think so!!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3633 on: March 11, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
Kev, have you ever heard Marching Out? JSS is incredible.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3634 on: March 11, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
I will not be duped into listening to a Yngwie Malmsteen album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3635 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »
I will not be duped into listening to a Yngwie Malmsteen album.

:lol

Kev, don't be like that! Marching Out is great album. Especially vocally. It is not "cartoon Yngwie". It's his second album. There's great guitar playing and great vocals.

Offline max_security

« Reply #3636 on: March 11, 2018, 07:54:59 PM »
The first three YM albums are serious stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3637 on: March 11, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
The first three YM albums are serious stuff.

Well, I still think Trilogy is terrible, but he made up for it with Odyssey.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3638 on: March 11, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »
The first "serious" girlfriend I ever had liked some of his stuff and would play it on occasion.  I remember one song being good (have no clue what the name of it was), but the rest always make me wretch.  Granted, I was only 19 :lol :lol, but I knew then that a wanker like that was not for me.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3639 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »

Man just seeing this brings back memories. I used to love getting all those magazines back when I was a kid.

Readers Poll Winners!

I had this issue!!!!!!