Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468379 times)

Offline portnoy311

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3570 on: February 26, 2018, 11:17:37 PM »
Eddie Trunk is cringe incarnate. He's like that awkward kid that hung out with the cool crowd to try and get some credibility by osmosis. Can't stand the guy

Agreed. He's also a know it all who hasn't ever actually accomplished anything himself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3571 on: February 27, 2018, 07:21:37 AM »
Eddie Trunk is cringe incarnate. He's like that awkward kid that hung out with the cool crowd to try and get some credibility by osmosis. Can't stand the guy

Agreed. He's also a know it all who hasn't ever actually accomplished anything himself.

Being in the tri-state area, I listen to him a lot, but I'm with you.  And my GOD can that man self-promote.   Everything is "I, I, I". 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3572 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »
And my GOD can that man self-promote.   Everything is "I, I, I".

I am standing alone, but I can rock you?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3573 on: February 27, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »

Being in the tri-state area, I listen to him a lot, but I'm with you.  And my GOD can that man self-promote.   Everything is "I, I, I".

Ugh. Yeah. He's the biggest "I" guy out there. He's just as bad when he's hosting concerts. THey flew his ass out West for a show that featured Corey Taylor (acoustic), Living Colour, and Anthrax a couple years back, along with Eddie's TMS comedians, and it was just horrible. Eddie got booed. Dude needs to go away.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3574 on: February 27, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
I wouldn't think anybody actually liked Cheap Trick if Eddie Trunk didn't constantly obsess over them.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3575 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
I'll give him credit for accomplishing being the biggest metal radio jockey that I know of.  However, like most radio personalities, I really don't enjoy him and I agree his "I" obsession is really annoying for people who want to hear about music, not him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3576 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
I wouldn't think anybody actually liked Cheap Trick if Eddie Trunk didn't constantly obsess over them.  :lol

Whoa whoa whoa, young fella!   Been a Trickster since Budokan came out the first time, and still am.  Even like a good portion of the "lost years" ("Standing On The Edge" is one of my favorite albums by them, but it gets largely dismissed by the casual fan). 

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3577 on: February 27, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
I’m not a big fan of him either, and he’s the biggest name dropper in the world, but I do listen as his show is the only real hard rock/metal show.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3578 on: March 03, 2018, 08:53:54 AM »
Guys, I'll be interviewing Jeff Scott Soto on Monday night. Does anyone have a question for him?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3579 on: March 03, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
Guys, I'll be interviewing Jeff Scott Soto on Monday night. Does anyone have a question for him?

Ask him specifics about the disagreements for vocals that he and Derek had. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3580 on: March 03, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »
Will do! I'll also ask about the backing vocals on Alive and Coming Home.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3581 on: March 03, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
can you ask him if the next album will feature more of the vocals he's shown to do awesomely with Save Me (Queen)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3582 on: March 03, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
can you ask him if the next album will feature more of the vocals he's shown to do awesomely with Save Me (Queen)

I'll certainly refer to the covers!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3583 on: March 04, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
Was listening to Eddie Trunk’s show on yhe way home from work and after he switched back to music after taking some calls and played Coming Home from SoA, then Time Machine from TWD, then As I Am. I like all three songs and I know they’re friends, but just thought it was amusing that he’d play three straight MP songs.

I'd have to think that the average listener wouldn't know that, but yeah context is always important.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3584 on: March 04, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »
Average listener: "Damn these drummers today all sound the same"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3585 on: March 04, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »
Was listening to Eddie Trunk’s show on yhe way home from work and after he switched back to music after taking some calls and played Coming Home from SoA, then Time Machine from TWD, then As I Am. I like all three songs and I know they’re friends, but just thought it was amusing that he’d play three straight MP songs.

I'd have to think that the average listener wouldn't know that, but yeah context is always important.
He did mention after As I Am that the common thing with those three songs was that MP was the drummer for all three bands.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3586 on: March 04, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »

That's kind of what I was referring to.  Also, at the show I saw, there was a few times he unleashed some falsettos while he was improvising.  He seemed less restrained.  I was wondering if maybe he wanted to do that and Derek wasn't letting him. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3587 on: March 04, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
The mere notion that Derek wouldn't let Jeff do his vocals how he wanted is hilarious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3588 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »
Nobody knows more about how a voice should be heard quite like Derek

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3589 on: March 04, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »
Picked up two tickets to the St. Louis show, it’s all ages so I’m going to take my 11 year old son to see them. He started drum lessons about 5 months ago and he loves Portnoy and Mike Mangini. The concert is a week before his 12th birthday so it’s his present.

It’s a really cool venue and I’m hoping that if we hang out long enough after the show maybe we can get lucky and he can meet MP....maybe get a pic with him. I didn’t see that they were selling meet and greets
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3590 on: March 04, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
gmillerdrake:

They are selling ViP tickets for a meet and greet: www.sonsofapollovip.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3591 on: March 04, 2018, 10:19:26 PM »
gmillerdrake:

They are selling ViP tickets for a meet and greet: www.sonsofapollovip.com

Oh cool, thank you Sir  :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: March 05, 2018, 06:27:17 AM »
Looks like VIP is $100 per ticket. Whew.....that’d be a $200 meet and greet. All the Aunts, Unlces and Grandparents are already splitting the cost for a new drum kit for him, its $500....so, maybe I can talk the wife into us splurging on the VIP tix?

I think he’d flip his  :censored if he got the chance to meet MP

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3593 on: March 05, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
Looks like VIP is $100 per ticket. Whew.....that’d be a $200 meet and greet. All the Aunts, Unlces and Grandparents are already splitting the cost for a new drum kit for him, its $500....so, maybe I can talk the wife into us splurging on the VIP tix?

I think he’d flip his  :censored if he got the chance to meet MP

For the meet and greet that I did in Orlando, there were 31 people. So it was a very fast one. Hopefully St. Louis has less people at the Meet and Greet and you and your kid can actually chat with the band.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3594 on: March 05, 2018, 04:43:19 PM »
i think i mostly meant that i'm curious as to him getting more vocals freedom.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3595 on: March 05, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Just got off the phone with Jeff. Got answers for the backing vocal thing on Coming Home and Alive, and about the difference in ideas they had about the lyrics. Will post the link here once it's published. Jeff is such a nice guy!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3596 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »
Nice!  Looking forward to reading it.  Despite my opinions of his weird hand gestures in concert, I think he has the potential to be a great frontman and beyond that, out of all the guys he seems like he'd be the coolest to hang out with. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3597 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
I also asked him about the Dream Theater songs they're playing. Love or hate SOA, I think that Dream Theater fans will enjoy the interview.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: March 06, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
There's a progressive metal band/project called Melted Space that just released their first single today featuring vocals by Jeff Scott Soto.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQ_1PmFi44&feature=youtu.be
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3599 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
I also asked him about the Dream Theater songs they're playing. Love or hate SOA, I think that Dream Theater fans will enjoy the interview.

Can't wait to read it. Thank you. Jeff is a dynamite guy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3600 on: March 07, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
Here´s my interview with Jeff Scott Soto: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-jeff-scott-soto/

Guys, I´m not a professional journalist and English is not my first language, so feedback is welcome about the way the interview was conducted. I hope you like it!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3601 on: March 07, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
No need to apologize, Rodrigo.  I'm sure it is good work because your love of the music shines through, even if the English isn't perfect.  But if you are interested, I would be happy to edit it for you if you want to send it to me just to clean up.

EDIT:  Never mind.  I didn't realize it is all audio.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3602 on: March 07, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
Here´s my interview with Jeff Scott Soto: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-jeff-scott-soto/

Guys, I´m not a professional journalist and English is not my first language, so feedback is welcome about the way the interview was conducted. I hope you like it!!!

Well done. :) Interesting interview. Four nights in a row for singing. That is rough.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3603 on: March 07, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
Yeah, really nice job, Rodrigo. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3604 on: March 07, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »
Thanks guys...MP retweeted the interview, and that made my day!!