Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468271 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3115 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
...and almost 40,000 people like it...

Assuming you are referring to facebook "likes" I think the value of saying someone likes something based on an internet thumbs up devalues the word a little bit. It's easy to click a button saying you "like" something. You don't even need to actually like it to do it. Is this really the measure of success a band (or person, or entity) strives for these days? A positive web presence?

I think a lot of people can view facebook likes as a popularity contest now-a-days, yes.

Personally, I think for a band like SOA, the indicator of success will be how they do in the touring marketing. Will they be able to build momentum touring and start getting promoters to book them in bigger venues, will they sell those venues well, etc...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3116 on: February 01, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
For me it sounds exactly like a collection of crazy parts that really don't have any connection with each other. A disjointed wank-fest that does nothing for me.

Same for me. The rest of the album might not be good (to me) but it's at least listenable, Opus Maximus isn't.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3117 on: February 01, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
...and almost 40,000 people like it...

Assuming you are referring to facebook "likes" I think the value of saying someone likes something based on an internet thumbs up devalues the word a little bit. It's easy to click a button saying you "like" something. You don't even need to actually like it to do it. Is this really the measure of success a band (or person, or entity) strives for these days? A positive web presence?

It's meaningless, but it's addictive.  I have  no Facebook site, and just recently joined Twitter (primarily to follow the inanities of our Commander in Chief).   Someone made a comment and I replied to it, and I got something like 250 likes.  My phone blew up (I get a message every time someone likes a post of mine) and it was scary how quickly I was thinking about "how many likes I have!"   It ultimately made me uncomfortable but I get why people overdo this whole social media thing.    (And I don't think it's health at all). 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3118 on: February 01, 2018, 11:02:06 AM »
Positive reinforcement can be addicting, no doubt, and every time you're notified that someone "likes" what you said or did, that's positive reinforcement.  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, nor is it news to you that addictions in general are not healthy.

But in the grand scheme of things, being addicted to "likes" is probably one of the less destructive vices.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3119 on: February 01, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
Maybe in this day and age promoters are starting to look at the number of likes on a page as one of the many factors they consider to book a band. I know a small local band whose singer time and again asked for a like on Facebook of their page 'cause it helped also to get more gigs, I don't know if it's something that applies only to small band where a bar owner could think "Well, let's see if they fill my bar or not", or something that bigger promoters actually consider or not, but maybe it's come to a point where you actually "need" to show off a big following on social media.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: February 01, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Maybe in this day and age promoters are starting to look at the number of likes on a page as one of the many factors they consider to book a band. I know a small local band whose singer time and again asked for a like on Facebook of their page 'cause it helped also to get more gigs, I don't know if it's something that applies only to small band where a bar owner could think "Well, let's see if they fill my bar or not", or something that bigger promoters actually consider or not, but maybe it's come to a point where you actually "need" to show off a big following on social media.

Yea, you can certainly get some sort of measurement of a fanbase by that.  Youtube views as well.  I'm not sure how much of that matters for bands like SOA, but I can see it helping for small bands trying to make a name for themselves like your example.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3121 on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
Positive reinforcement can be addicting, no doubt, and every time you're notified that someone "likes" what you said or did, that's positive reinforcement.  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, nor is it news to you that addictions in general are not healthy.

But in the grand scheme of things, being addicted to "likes" is probably one of the less destructive vices.

I'm not 1000% convinced that the last thought is true.  I think it may be more indirect, but I'm not ready to concede "less destructive".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: February 01, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
Well, less than what?  Less than being an alcoholic? Yea I'd say that's likely.  But I don't think we fully know how bad an addiction to "likes" really is yet.  I think studies have shown the addiction may be due to self esteem issues, but what's the negative to this addiction?  Being annoying on social media? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3123 on: February 01, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
Well, less than what?  Less than being an alcoholic? Yea I'd say that's likely.  But I don't think we fully know how bad an addiction to "likes" really is yet.  I think studies have shown the addiction may be due to self esteem issues, but what's the negative to this addiction?  Being annoying on social media?

Well, I fully get that not everyone shares my disdain for the social media but I think the thrill of the "like" is at least in part driving things like the bullying we saw in another thread.  it may not be strictly "the like", but the recognition.    I think it dumbs us down.  If I'm addicted to the rush, and I have a choice between "Well, Trump tax policy is lacking because [economic theory no. 1] and [economic theory no. 2], and we should consider an alternative [economic theory no. 3] because according to the CBO it will provide an average of $3,000 more per working family per year over the next 15 years." or "Trump the Chump, rafting white America, and shafting black America!" which do you think I'll post?   Which is actually contributing to the discourse,

You've got someone like Jen Selter, who is LITERALLY famous because God (or evolution, or both) gifted her with a nice ass*, now thinks she's got the clout to tell an airline how and when to operate their plane.   There are literally thousands of examples of this kind of lack of self-awareness.

* Taste is taste, but not my speed, personally. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3124 on: February 01, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
I get what you are saying, II'm not entirely sure dumbing down a statement equates to more likes, but maybe there is something to that.  And yea, I can see the bullying part of it as well.  I think the "less destructive" thought was more towards your own self, but maybe on a macro scale there is more to this than I was thinking.  I'm not entirely sure.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3125 on: February 01, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
I mean, we're communicating on a much larger scale in dumber language with social media. We're still, mostly communicating in full thought in person.

So the only actual difference between pre and post social media, is who is hearing us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3126 on: February 01, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »
I grabbed the SOA release because I wanted to hear a Sherinian & MP record. I gave it a 7 on the poll but I'd scale it down to a 6 or 6.5 since. The record didn't blow me away and it hasn't stood the test of time for me. I don't like to say that but for me, it's true.

Test of time?  Um...it's only been a few months.  :lol

That really doesn't bode well for the album then. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3127 on: February 01, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
I listened to the full album today once again, and honestly, I'm really sorry that it didn't please more people. After a few weeks without listening to it, I like it even more, and found myself whistling a bunch of the solos and melodies. I hope they're able to captivate more people once the tour starts.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3128 on: February 01, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
I played the record for the first time in months today. It is pretty much where it was for me after the first half a dozen times. It is OK. I (unfairly or not) expected more.

I think live the band will be incredible. JSS is a great frontman. But I still stand by my initial thought that while I love JSS, his voice doesn't sit well (for me) with these tunes. I expected (again, fairly or unfairly) a rangier or at least more dynamic vocal performance on the album. And Bumblefoot, while an incredible player...he's just there. Same thing with Sheehan. Great player...but whatever. But the record falls a little short of the high expectations I had for the project.

But I will say this, if they play near me, I am for sure going. And these days, bands release records so they can get out there and tour, since that is where the money is. So if that was their goal, I guess they succeeded with me, even if the record isn't as good as I had hoped it would be (here's hoping for some FII DT covers!)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3129 on: February 01, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »
What's the plan with releasing more dates?   I haven't heard a word since the initial round...  I'll go if it's near-ish me, but I'm not traveling with the idea that there might be a closer date in the wings.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3130 on: February 01, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
Word is that they are still waiting for state fairs to come about so they can open up for Billy Idol.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: February 01, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: February 01, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
Yeah, no shit.  Billy sells out Madison Square Garden a couple times a month just because, with no album (and none since 199-someodd).  Mike would get his "40k eyeballs" in two shows with Billy.  :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3133 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:50 AM »
Yeah, no shit.  Billy sells out Madison Square Garden a couple times a month just because, with no album (and none since 199-someodd).  Mike would get his "40k eyeballs" in two shows with Billy.  :)

I saw Billy in 2006 or so (with Derek on keyboards) and he sold out or near sold out a 900-1000 capacity venue. 

Not a bad turnout. 

Great show. 

Edit: Oh I get it, we went from Billy Idol to Billy Joel. 

What about Billie Joe Armstrong? 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3134 on: February 02, 2018, 05:34:21 AM »
What's the plan with releasing more dates?   I haven't heard a word since the initial round...  I'll go if it's near-ish me, but I'm not traveling with the idea that there might be a closer date in the wings.

They started announcing some dates in South America, but that's about it. Maybe tickets for the first round are not as hot and promoters are not interested in this band?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #3135 on: February 02, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »

I saw Billy in 2006 or so (with Derek on keyboards) and he sold out or near sold out a 900-1000 capacity venue. 

Not a bad turnout. 

Great show. 

I saw BJA at Giants Stadium on the American Idiot tour, then a few years later as St. Jimmy in the Broadway production of American Idiot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3136 on: February 02, 2018, 06:52:46 AM »
I saw Green Day on the 2000 warped tour.  I'd go see Billy Idol.  He's playing a festival in Jacksonville near my parents.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »
That Billy Corgan sure puts on a good show.  Little odd, but the man can play guitar. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3138 on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:11 AM »
That Billy Corgan sure puts on a good show.  Little odd, but the man can play guitar. 

And swing it too.  I've never seen Smashing Pumpkins before, but I did see Billy at an ECW wrestling event smash a guitar over someone's head.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3139 on: February 02, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
Sons of Apollo’s OPUS MAXIMUS has 4 of the craziest sections ever!!
Pt 1) The crazy “Bumbleteen Riff” in 6,6,7
Pt 2) Guitar Solo over 11,11,11,9,11,9,11,9
Pt 3) Bass Jam in 19/16 Groove
Pt 4) Keyboard Solo with 3 tiers of 10/4
In this video, Bumblefoot breaks down the “Bumbleteen Riff” 😵

I think this is why I just don't give a crap about chops anymore. This doesn't scream "awesome" or "good music" to me. It just reeks of making music more complicated than it needs to be, just for the sake of making it complicated. Sometimes just throwing in a single measure of 7/8 or 2/3 etc. in an otherwise standard song does more for the song than trying to change meters every other bar or squeezing in 16th run paradiddlyokilydokily phrygian dominant 19/35 half-time oh god I've gone cross-eyed

:rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3140 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »

And swing it too.  I've never seen Smashing Pumpkins before, but I did see Billy at an ECW wrestling event smash a guitar over someone's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRf-tBJMOM
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »
 :lol been awhile since I've seen that

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3142 on: February 02, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »

Not a bad turnout. 

Great show. 

Hahah, any Billy will do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3143 on: February 02, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »

Not a bad turnout. 

Great show. 

Hahah, any Billy will do.

You're one Billy behind; we're up to Corgan now.    Still waiting on Squier, Sherwood, Preston, Ocean and Gibbons.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3144 on: February 02, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
No Sheehan, really??
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3145 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:52 AM »
That would be different.  Sons of Apollo opening for a Billy Sheehan solo tour.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3146 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3147 on: February 02, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
I'll be honest I kind of forgot what was even being talked about, I just wanted to add to the Billy list  :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3148 on: February 02, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »
That's fair.  I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3149 on: February 02, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »
I think we're talking about Billy Ray Cyrus now