Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467877 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3045 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »
Now seriously is this band still a thing?

LOL!!!!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3047 on: January 18, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
Sounds like he uses a lot of pre made samples as well. (The opening of God of the Sun)The same ones I used on my 1995 CD.

Haha, that made me laugh (in a good way).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: January 18, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
and how many times can you accentuate a part of song with, "YEAH!"

So much this.  This may have stuck out the most to me on my first listen.  Yea's are great in a live setting, it doesn't work when it's all over the album.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3049 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »

So much this.  This may have stuck out the most to me on my first listen.  Yea's are great in a live setting, it doesn't work when it's all over the album.

Unless you're James Hetfield.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3050 on: January 18, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »
Just a note... Mike has almost 1.4 million likes on Facebook. He said over a month ago I think that if the SoA Facebook gets 40k likes - they were at 38.5k at the time - he'd share some special bonus content. Presently they're not even at 40k... just seems extremely low for an MP project to not even get that many likes in the Age of Facebook

Genuinely curious if anybody here is going to the shows, would like to know how they are live. I am still unsure if my friend wants to go to the Joliet gig so I don't know if I'll be going.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: January 18, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
I'm not high on the band, but I had a ticket for the NJ show and can't make it now due to a business trip.  I was looking forward to seeing them live in a small venue, would be really cool and while I didn't love the album, there was potential there for some good tunes if they worked at it a bit more which made me think the live show could have been pretty solid.  Oh well, I won't know.  Also, that NJ show is the same night as G3 in NYC.  I wonder if that has any impact on sales.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3052 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:35 PM »
I'll do the same as Tick; if they play anywhere near (hopefully Vienna), I'll surely go if no exam or anything ruins my plans... But I won't drive over 2 hours to see them I think.
I believe this band could kick ass live though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3053 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »

That just speaks to the lack of giving a shit on this record. You would think a big time fan of music that MP is he would have said..."Its ok to punctuate a part with "YEAH!"on a song if it warrants it. You on the other hand are doing it in nearly every song. Its a bit much."

Having never heard him sing before, I see Jeff Scott Sotto as a journeyman singer. Like a utility player in baseball or a boxer who is talented but is used as a stepping stone to fight and lose to up and coming fighters. I really feel like his performance on this record is very lackluster.
Its a very mish mosh all over the place record. It is the weakest side project Mike has been a part of. Also, this lineup seems to be a bunch of talented guys who don't have the leadership skills to see where they went wrong in so many areas on this record.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3054 on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:53 PM »
Just a note... Mike has almost 1.4 million likes on Facebook. He said over a month ago I think that if the SoA Facebook gets 40k likes - they were at 38.5k at the time - he'd share some special bonus content. Presently they're not even at 40k... just seems extremely low for an MP project to not even get that many likes in the Age of Facebook

Genuinely curious if anybody here is going to the shows, would like to know how they are live. I am still unsure if my friend wants to go to the Joliet gig so I don't know if I'll be going.

I'm about 70% sure I'm going to go to the Joliet show.  You should go!  I know a good BBQ place to eat at beforehand. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3055 on: January 18, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
This album is way more up my alley than TA...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3056 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »
I like TA more, but I would say the style of this album may be more up my alley.  I'm definitely more into the metal than prog and this album is definitely pretty heavy, they got that down.  Just execution at the end of the day for me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3057 on: January 18, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

Unless you're James Hetfield.

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3059 on: January 18, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »

I know a JSS fanboy who is probably going to one of the shows. I'll tell you about it if he does. I don't think you should go though. :P. Go see Leprous instead. Or G3.  Save up for PP. Have a nice meal. Flip some burgers...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: January 18, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »

I know a JSS fanboy who is probably going to one of the shows. I'll tell you about it if he does. I don't think you should go though. :P. Go see Leprous instead. Or G3.  Save up for PP. Have a nice meal. Flip some burgers...

That's a good point. Leprous is only a week later. But they're opening. 2 hour drive for an opener (dislike BTBAM, wouldn't stay). Debating it! :D
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3061 on: January 18, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »

That's a good point. Leprous is only a week later. But they're opening. 2 hour drive for an opener (dislike BTBAM, wouldn't stay). Debating it! :D

Yeah but that could be a plus. The Dear Hunter might be good. BTBAM might not be that bad, but if they are, you can stop by Leprous' merch booth and tell them how awesome they are, then get a jump on the drive home. Or if I don't like BTBAM either, we could leave and get some pizza.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3062 on: January 19, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
At least The Astonishing had ambition. Whether it lived up to what they tried to do is up to the listener. Sons on the other hand is way to cookie cutter and formulaic. It feels like something so rushed they didn't worry about its flaws. Lesson for them is, the prog fan won't accept mediocrity. They should have put more time in to make something of real substance. Mike said the album had many different types of songs. To me it has anything presented quickly, they could get recorded in a few days. That's painfully obvious.

YEAH!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3063 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:43 AM »

At least The Astonishing had ambition. Whether it lived up to what they tried to do is up to the listener. Sons on the other hand is way to cookie cutter and formulaic. It feels like something so rushed they didn't worry about its flaws. Lesson for them is, the prog fan won't accept mediocrity. They should have put more time in to make something of real substance. Mike said the album had many different types of songs. To me it has anything presented quickly, they could get recorded in a few days. That's painfully obvious.

YEAH!
[/quote]

Fully agree with this! YEAH! Bye for now, going to flip some burgers  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3064 on: January 19, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
Hey, here's a thought--people can actually like TA and Psychotic Symphony.  But thanks for telling us all what the obvious flaws are and why we can't possibly like what we like.  "They said 'yeah' too many times!  The horror!"   ::)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3065 on: January 19, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
I'm not telling anyone they can't like it. Merely saying why I don't, which is typical discussion on a messageboard. Please, by all means, like away!

YEAH!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3066 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »

That just speaks to the lack of giving a shit on this record. You would think a big time fan of music that MP is he would have said..."Its ok to punctuate a part with "YEAH!"on a song if it warrants it. You on the other hand are doing it in nearly every song. Its a bit much."

Having never heard him sing before, I see Jeff Scott Sotto as a journeyman singer. Like a utility player in baseball or a boxer who is talented but is used as a stepping stone to fight and lose to up and coming fighters. I really feel like his performance on this record is very lackluster.
Its a very mish mosh all over the place record. It is the weakest side project Mike has been a part of. Also, this lineup seems to be a bunch of talented guys who don't have the leadership skills to see where they went wrong in so many areas on this record.

This also from the guy that made a point to point out that Matt Sorum played the same fill 800 times on "November Rain".   

I don't know that I would have phrased it the same way, but I kind of think the same thing about JSS.  Great technical ability, but there's a reason he's bounced around (I know he has a fairly steady gig on TSO, but that's a seasonal thing, not a 24-7-365 gig).  I know there's been a lot of talk abuot why he didn't make some of the more "operatic" choices, but I think those choices - in part - go to why the record is so monotonous (in the literal sense of the word). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: January 19, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
Yeah but that could be a plus. The Dear Hunter might be good. BTBAM might not be that bad, but if they are, you can stop by Leprous' merch booth and tell them how awesome they are, then get a jump on the drive home. Or if I don't like BTBAM either, we could leave and get some pizza.

Pizza is always good. I'll let you know if I'm going or not! :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3068 on: January 19, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »

YEAH

I agree completely and I like psychotic Symphony a hell of a lot more than the astonishing. In other words I respect the hell out of the astonishing for trying something different and having ambition. I think it was a tremendous let down. Psychotic Symphony on the other hand is more up my alley but a huge missed opportunity.

Actually when I think about it I like the two albums about the same. I like three songs off of psychotic Symphony and I like three songs off of the astonishing. Percentage wise I like almost half of psychotic Symphony whereas I like a fraction of the astonishing so in my mind psychotic Symphony wins but almost by default.

Creatively The Atonishing wins...but again by defaut.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3069 on: January 19, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
They announced a South American tour in April. Aparently Argentina and Brazil are confirmed, with more dates to come.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3070 on: January 19, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »
I'd go see that.

I did. I decided to pull out the 1/19/02 BB Kings show which was the warm-up gig for the tour.

Still remember waiting on line during a sleet storm and running into a friend's parents who just happened to be walking by.

Also remember driving home in the snow listening to Clutching At Straws (as is tradition) and almost hitting a deer. Fun times.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3071 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »

If I cared, I'd be at the NJ show.  Definitely a unique opportunity (decent price, small venue) but I'd doubt I'd enjoy it enough to make the effort.  I'd have to want to be there, not just go because it's something to do.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3072 on: January 19, 2018, 07:38:39 PM »

YEAH!

If the Astonishing had better lyrics I'd be buying the book and seeing it on Broadway. Missed opportunity there. The live show was as good as it got. Could have been so much more.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3073 on: January 25, 2018, 06:06:06 AM »
The Sons of Apollo getting ready to start the tour

:rollin

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3074 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
their FB page reached 40.000 likes, where's the special thing MP promised?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3075 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
their FB page reached 40.000 likes, where's the special thing MP promised?

Derek stops posting trolling tweets for a month
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3076 on: January 26, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »

I admit I might have some Shitstirinian blood in me... just having some fun
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:29:47 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3077 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
Is he fucking serious?

Also, should be "Derek and me".

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3078 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
Everything about this band is just such a turn off for me. I'm sure MP is just stirring the pot but still I don't get it. I think MP does have a ton of fan, more than 40,000 I'd presume. I think the fact that they struggled to hit that mark says something about the project.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3079 on: January 26, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
Sorry guys, it's not real :lol At least I know my photoshops are convincing! Read the fine print under the pic... haha