Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468111 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3010 on: December 26, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
Wonder if it's because of the poor sales of the album

I guess this is the primary reason.

That is a really strange assumption to make.

Why?

Because (1) there is no evidence and has been no suggestion by anyone related to the band that that is the reason, so your suggestion is completely out of the blue; and (2) there is no obvious (or inobvious) connection between album sales and Mike's drum cam videos, so there is no reason to believe that one influenced the other.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3011 on: December 26, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
Say what you want about MP, dude always makes me want to go play drums

Supremely talented and just an utter blast to witness play drums. When I saw him last January in StL with Neal Morse playing Similitude of a Dream it's near impossible not to want to just only watch HIM play the entire time.....he's such an amazing drummer.

He just needs some work on his social game and maybe humble himself every now and then.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3012 on: December 26, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
I listened to 6 Degrees for the first time in awhile recently and was reminded just how awesome his parts were

I personally consider 'Blind Faith' to be the single "best" song he's ever drummed. Sure, there are many other songs that I suppose are more technical or 'difficult' to play....but 'Blind Faith' is a perfect combination of every aspect of MP in my opinion.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3013 on: December 26, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
I listened to 6 Degrees for the first time in awhile recently and was reminded just how awesome his parts were

I personally consider 'Blind Faith' to be the single "best" song he's ever drummed. Sure, there are many other songs that I suppose are more technical or 'difficult' to play....but 'Blind Faith' is a perfect combination of every aspect of MP in my opinion.

Good call Gary, I still consider SDOIT to be MP’s last great drumming record where it still felt like he was pushing the boundaries of his playing. And Blind Faith is the perfect example of that, might be my favorite MP performance and my favorite JR performance as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: December 26, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »

Good call Gary, I still consider SDOIT to be MP’s last great drumming record where it still felt like he was pushing the boundaries of his playing. And Blind Faith is the perfect example of that, might be my favorite MP performance and my favorite JR performance as well.

I honestly think every member shines in that song....but I agree that how JR showcases himself in that song is awesome as well.

It's just a really beautiful song all around, lyrically as well.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3015 on: December 26, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

I'd agree with that. 6DOIT was his best album drum wise and he has gradually got less and less innovative since. Blind Faith has an amazing drum part, but his peak is The Great Debate IMO. The intro to that song alone is more creative than the entire BC&SL album's drum part.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3016 on: December 26, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »

Why?

Because (1) there is no evidence and has been no suggestion by anyone related to the band that that is the reason, so your suggestion is completely out of the blue; and (2) there is no obvious (or inobvious) connection between album sales and Mike's drum cam videos, so there is no reason to believe that one influenced the other.

I edited this drumcam along with many prior to this one. MP is telling the truth. For what ever reason, on 2 of the tracks there are a few holes in the final assembly of the tracks. I gave him the file numbers that appeared to be missing. I do know that he has a lot going on right now and either didn't have the files or didn't have the time to search for them. It had absolutely nothing to do with album sales.
In respect to the distribution we had planned on doing an ITunes type of release with no physical copies being produced. He felt that with so many people viewing music on portable devices that it made sense to distribute in this fashion going forward.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3017 on: December 26, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »

Why?

I edited this drumcam along with many prior to this one. MP is telling the truth. For what ever reason, on 2 of the tracks there are a few holes in the final assembly of the tracks. I gave him the file numbers that appeared to be missing. I do know that he has a lot going on right now and either didn't have the files or didn't have the time to search for them. It had absolutely nothing to do with album sales.
In respect to the distribution we had planned on doing an ITunes type of release with no physical copies being produced. He felt that with so many people viewing music on portable devices that it made sense to distribute in this fashion going forward.

That's cool. Thanks for clearing that up bob.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3018 on: December 26, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »

I honestly think every member shines in that song....but I agree that how JR showcases himself in that song is awesome as well.

Very underrated song.  Blind Faith and Misunderstood back to back are just perfect in every way. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3019 on: December 26, 2017, 06:38:50 PM »

Supremely talented and just an utter blast to witness play drums. When I saw him last January in StL with Neal Morse playing Similitude of a Dream it's near impossible not to want to just only watch HIM play the entire time.....he's such an amazing drummer.

Interesting. I was the opposite.  I was like 3rd row center and found that Neal was the one my eyes were glued to 90% of the show.  I honestly thought Portnoy looked kinda bored every time I did focus on him a little (since I think he hates having to play venues that small).  He looked a bit more energetic at Morsefest, but again, I probably watched him the least of the five.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: December 26, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »

Very underrated song.  Blind Faith and Misunderstood back to back are just perfect in every way.

Blind Faith is still one of my all time favorite DT songs, and I'll never forget how I brought my car to get inspected and had SDOIT in the CD player for my first listen on the way there, but by the time the lady was inspecting my car, Blind Faith had come on (I had not even heard the song yet) and when I passed, the lady says "the song was rocking, those drums were crazy" (or similar, she mentioned the drums and said the song was "rockin") then I listened to it immediately on my way back home and totally understood what she meant.  She asked me who they were and what song, but I could only say Dream Theater.  I didn't even know.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: December 26, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »

Interesting. I was the opposite.  I was like 3rd row center and found that Neal was the one my eyes were glued to 90% of the show.  I honestly thought Portnoy looked kinda bored every time I did focus on him a little (since I think he hates having to play venues that small).  He looked a bit more energetic at Morsefest, but again, I probably watched him the least of the five.

well I did say 'not to want to watch him'.   :lol   I divided my attention to about half the time on Neal....25% on MP.....20% on Eric and the other %% on Bill and Randy. My point was I could watch only MP play all night if I weren't careful......I am and always have been captivated by his drumming.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: December 26, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »

It's tough to find a better 'back to back' IMO. Voices into Silent Man is on that same level but I give the edge to BF and Misunderstood due to Silent Man being only acoustic.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3023 on: December 26, 2017, 09:26:53 PM »

I saw TSoaD twice live, the second time was one of their last shows back in August. Mike seemed as happy and having as much fun as I’ve ever seen. With that said although I play drums and am normally focused on the drummer for the most part, it is hard for me not to focus on Neal as he is my favorite musician and the emotion he puts into his shows is second to none.  He just has so much joy on stage and it steals the show for me. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3024 on: December 27, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »
To me, Blind Faith has the opposite effect. It's the start of me feeling meh about MP's drumming because it was the example of drumming to call attention to himself and stealing the spotlight away from the one doing the instrumental and doing fills that do not complement what the others are doing. Bad drumming. I especially hate the part where JR is doing the Hammond effect (am I right) and MP is doing these cymbal hits that is competing with JR. I was like "what the fuck?" It's like those irritating fills in Misunderstood that do not fit the down feeling of the song.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3025 on: December 27, 2017, 06:02:54 AM »

Good call Gary, I still consider SDOIT to be MP’s last great drumming record where it still felt like he was pushing the boundaries of his playing.

Maybe his creativity is fuelled by alcohol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3026 on: December 27, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
To me, Blind Faith has the opposite effect. It's the start of me feeling meh about MP's drumming because it was the example of drumming to call attention to himself and stealing the spotlight away from the one doing the instrumental and doing fills that do not complement what the others are doing. Bad drumming. I especially hate the part where JR is doing the Hammond effect (am I right) and MP is doing these cymbal hits that is competing with JR. I was like "what the fuck?" It's like those irritating fills in Misunderstood that do not fit the down feeling of the song.

Oh jesus not this discussion again please.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3027 on: December 29, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »

Why? I think it's actually a pretty interesting discussion to have. I disagree wholeheartedly to erwin's opinion on MP's drumming in Blind Faith and Misunderstood but I think it's a cool topic to bring up given some of us feel that MP's drumming the past decade or so has been pretty stale stylistically.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3028 on: December 29, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »

Why? It's actually a pretty interesting discussion to have. I disagree wholeheartedly to erwin's opinion on MP's drumming in Blind Faith and Misunderstood but I think it's a cool topic to bring up...

Absolutely.  And for the record, I'm right there with you in terms of your disagreement.  I don't even get a hint of anything in either of those songs that is problematic from the drumming side of things. 

...some of us feel that MP's drumming the past decade or so has been pretty stale stylistically.

Yeah, I know I've said this many times over now, but I couldn't disagree with this more. 

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3029 on: December 29, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
I'm generally very critical of MP, but for the most part I like the drumming on this song. As busy as it is for some reason it just feels right to me there. There are a couple fills that could have been cut, and the organ solo has a like 3-second section that he changed from the original rhythm (I guess that is the part you are referring to.)
The problem is, he began to use this style on a ton of things, many of which would have sounded better without it.
Now Misunderstood, I completely agree. The little octoban fills drive me insane and I actually cut that section out of my copy (basically like the radio version.) Apparently it's supposed to be a reference to another song or so I was told. Cool, but musically it does not make sense to me.
Intro to Great Debate is nice as well, lots of different ideas. One thing he did very well in that time period was build with the song and change his parts and rhythms accordingly. It starts off very simple and grows.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:04 AM »
That this has become a DT thread is amazing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3031 on: December 29, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »

Well, to be fair, there isn't really anything "new" at the moment with Sons of Apollo. 

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3032 on: December 29, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »

Well, to be fair, there isn't really anything "new" at the moment with Sons of Apollo. 
Not to mention this is a Dream Theater forum, after all.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3033 on: December 29, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
I was just expressing a little amusement at it, I know there's not much going on, and that it's a DT forum :) just seems like after all the talk about getting it back on track... it's back to discussing Mike in DT instead of SoA  :lol carry on  :metal

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3034 on: December 29, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
Random thought: does anyone else think the riff from Labyrinth about 1 minute in kinda sounds like the verse riff from Fatal Tragedy?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3035 on: December 29, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »
Add me to those who totally disagree about Mike’s drumming being stale. I might be down on him lately for some of the crap that has gone on, but man there is no drummer who I have ever enjoyed as much as Mike. His drumming in TSoaD is as enjoyable for me as anything he’s ever done.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3036 on: December 29, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
Random thought: does anyone else think the riff from Labyrinth about 1 minute in kinda sounds like the verse riff from Fatal Tragedy?

I mean, it's a generic riff. It sounds like 1000 other generic riffs. If I'm really looking for it, I can see the Fatal Tragedy thing, but only if I'm really looking for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3037 on: December 29, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
To get this back on track, what's your favorite MP drumming in Psychotic Symphony? For me, it's in a song I actually do not like much. The basic beat of Signs of the Times. It's simple, but my feet just won't stop drumming to it when the song comes on. Reminds me of Awake-era MP when he was so good in creating distinct drum patterns for each song.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3038 on: December 29, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
To get this back on track, what's your favorite MP drumming in Psychotic Symphony? For me, it's in a song I actually do not like much. The basic beat of Signs of the Times. It's simple, but my feet just won't stop drumming to it when the song comes on. Reminds me of Awake-era MP when he was so good in creating distinct drum patterns for each song.

Great question. I really enjoyed his drumming on Labyrinth and Opus Maximus.

Another thing I just noticed after listening to the album once again is that at 07:45, Bumblefoot has his most Petrucci-esque part, and what follows after that almost sounds like classic DT.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3039 on: December 31, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »

Ya know, I never really noticed that but I can see what you're saying.  I hadn't listened to this song in a while and maybe it was because I was being hypervigilant in trying to identify with what you were saying, but yeah, his drumming does stand out.  Does it stand out like a sore thumb?  Well for me, since I never really noticed for 15 years how it *could* detract from the music, I would say no. 

I always saw that song as featuring each member of Dream Theater.  Myung has some awesome fills.  He could just hold out the bass note but he did some excellent and unique stuff.  Granted, his is more subtle than Portnoy's.  I guess I just look at Portnoy's drumming as being unorthodox enough to never let us get too comfortable in the music.  It flows so perfectly yet each member does enough different stuff to really allow you to be lost in the music but remain on edge.  This goes for LaBrie's lyrics too.  His best if you ask me (maybe along side a few other selections from Elements of Persuasion).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3040 on: January 05, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »

Whole freaking album is like that for me.  I feel a live show from that tour coming on.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3041 on: January 06, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »
I'd go see that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: January 06, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Womp womp, had to book a work trip when SoA comes to NJ so I guess my ticket is up for sale

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3043 on: January 18, 2018, 05:49:23 AM »
After about 10 full listens to this album I now have a true feeling on it...
I would say its boring, predictable, rushed, cookie cutter, formulaic. Average at best.
It sounds like something written in a 24 hour period.

Derrick's keyboards are very uninventive here. Sounds like he uses a lot of pre made samples as well. (The opening of God of the Sun)The same ones I used on my 1995 CD.

This is my first experience listening to Jeff Scott Sotto and I'm not all that impressed. He flats a lot on this record.
Example...
Stare at the wall
Pray for reflection
Try to recall
Beg for "redemption" <------ Very flat!
and how many times can you accentuate a part of song with, "YEAH!"

The guitar, bass, and drum work is fine, but as I said the songs are very forgettable.

Lastly, the lyrics are really bad at times.

"Wastin' time
Lost in oblivion
I'm leaving tomorrow"

Leaving for where? Cheese....

I am a big fan of MP but this is the weakest project of anything I've heard from him. I'd say focus on Winery Dogs, Flying Colors, Neal Morse, and a Transatlantic reunion.

I am just giving my honest assessment. I wanted to like it but its just not great. That being said, if they played close to me I'd go (if the tickets were cheap)just because the musicians are great and hopefully it would be better live.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:14:30 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: January 18, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »
Who is Derricks? A new member of the band?
-
Now seriously is this band still a thing?