Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467540 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2975 on: December 21, 2017, 07:42:48 AM »
Which one is Petrucci's daughter, and who is the other girl? I recognize Max, Melody, and JP's son (that beard!).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2976 on: December 21, 2017, 07:46:42 AM »
Which one is Petrucci's daughter, and who is the other girl? I recognize Max, Melody, and JP's son (that beard!).

Both are Petrucci’s daughters ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: December 21, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »

Jeeze! I had no idea.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: December 21, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »

Jeeze! I had no idea.

Well, if you were a TRUE fan...
 :biggrin:   ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: December 21, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
Updating this to give some insight into No Filter Loki, because I had a hunch - and my hunch turned out to be right, and I think some might find this interesting:

https://oi67.tinypic.com/104mdue.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/marc.walsh1

This is No Filter Loki. This guy is an INSANE MP/Derek fanboy. Regularly comments on both their Twitter feeds, regularly calls JLB "the most arrogant bastard alive" among other pretty insulting things. So, that's your mystery solved: no wonder he was so cantankerous. He once talked about receiving direct messages from Derek himself (this was right before he registered) - I wouldn't be surprised if Derek quite literally asked him to register here and "stir up shit."

EDIT: Anyway just wanted to shed some light onto that. I believe straz brought up the other day about someone being 'shut down' as soon as they said a negative thing about JLB, and that kind of led me to this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:48:37 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2980 on: December 21, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
All the 'hate' doesn't seem to be affecting the Portnoy/Petrucci families relationship.

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/943631908088504320

Well, isn't this wonderful and definitively more important than all our little discussions here (and Derek comments), in the end?  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2981 on: December 21, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
Absolutely.  I think it's cool that MP and JP and their families are still close.  With the way the split went down, and some of the stuff that's happened since, it could easily not be the case.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2982 on: December 21, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Yeah, it made me really happy when MP mentioned that JP's family was at the NYC Shattered Fortress show.

I've spun the SoA album a few times and I've come around on most of it. I still don't like the vocals at the beginning of Labyrinth, but by and large I like the album (and particularly what Bumblefoot and JSS bring to the table). The one exception is Opus Maximus, which I pretty much can't stand. May well just be deleting that song off my iPod soon enough, as I always just jump back to the beginning after Divine Addiction.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2983 on: December 21, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
Updating this to give some insight into No Filter Loki

I said somewhere else that I had an inkling as to whom it was - and I was right.

Nah, it's not Derek. But it's a fanboy for sure, probably close to Derek. Probably gotten close through sucking up, and is now running around the internet trolling to "protect his dear friend". I think I've seen him on the fan club facebook page too... If it is who I think it is, he runs a group with Straz as an "unofficial SoA fan club"...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1999196433430247/

See who's the admins there? It's our two "friends" who just HAPPENED to start attacking James and being protective of SoA on here at the same time... And Straz even saying he had no clue as to who "No Filter Loki" was:
Whoever this Loki guy is, whether or not he replies, i couldnt care less..

Straz - you got some splainin to do... :P

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2984 on: December 21, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOsIq_wftms

how is this guy not sponsored by MP/DS ???? He had good reviews until MP retweeted him and post -MP DT reviews started.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2985 on: December 21, 2017, 06:10:14 PM »
I had a feeling they knew each other and both lived under the bridge. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2987 on: December 21, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
There's this youtube reaction video guy MP retweeted that just posted this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOsIq_wftms

He did a popular Dream Theater marathon praising MP etc, got mentioned by MP,  and now he comes to post-MP era DT he's posting in a totally different style and calling everything bad  :rollin
Mike commented on the last video and said he found it amusing that he didn't like the last three albums (despite the fact that they didn't get proper videos). I called him out on it and said that it was unnecessary, and he said that it wasn't a swipe at the band, just amusing irony, apparently.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #2988 on: December 22, 2017, 12:55:36 AM »
I never attacked JLB at all... i only expressed a concern and looked for other opinions from fans, but never said anything negative about JLB.., this guy popped up out of nowhere. Plus i have been in this forum for some years now, his name only appeared out of the blue. As i saw from how many posts he had made.. being a short few.
You can see from my history in my posts that i have been all over. As for being protective, i have made snide comments on a couple of places, not insulting but snide. Dont know if they are still around though..
I have always been a fan of DT and that aint gonna stop... regardless of what Derek & Mike say or do i will always continue to love and enjoy DT's music. Thats why im in this forum. If someone came here purposly to attack then there is something wrong with them... im just here to enjoy DT. Hell i even like Dragonforce,  :D :D
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #2989 on: December 22, 2017, 02:02:50 AM »
I need to make a few things clear....
Years ago i sent questions to Derek about his history in DT. And he made a few video responses. I made assumptions that i was an associate because of this. And in turn i was informed by his manegment that i "do not work with him". I faced serious backlash because of this.... since then i have remained away from contact. I still share vids but i cannot make it appear i work alongside. Because i dont. That was just presumtious on my part as a fan. And young...
As for this Loki guy, i did not know what was going on as i dont know them either. I was an Admin, but if it turns out this person is the same, then i apologise as im unaware. If iwas then i would have acted sooner... And i have left that group to prove im not in "association" with this person..... as this is not the case.. the extenct of our personal contact would have been me offering to help. And him saying "sure".
I never came here to bad mouth anyone or attack past or present members. Im just a simple fan of all 4 era's of DT. Yes i have opinions just like any other fan and every now and then i like to ask questions and gather thoughts. But that is all i am. A fan.... if i was some DT hating gunslinger then i wouldnt bother with this comment. I would have run awag.. but im not and thats why im hoping i can continue as a fan.
I will still make interesting polls and ask questions. But im just a longtime fan....

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #2990 on: December 22, 2017, 02:03:24 AM »
I need to make a few things clear....
Years ago i sent questions to Derek from those within this forum about his history in DT. And he made a few video responses. I made assumptions that i was an associate because of this. And in turn i was informed by his manegment that i "do not work with him". I faced serious backlash because of this.... since then i have remained away from contact. I still share vids but i cannot make it appear i work alongside. Because i dont. That was just presumtious on my part as a fan. And young...
As for this Loki guy, i did not know what was going on as i dont know them either. I was an Admin, but if it turns out this person is the same, then i apologise as im unaware. If iwas then i would have acted sooner... And i have left that group to prove im not in "association" with this person..... as this is not the case.. the extenct of our personal contact would have been me offering to help. And him saying "sure".
I never came here to bad mouth anyone or attack past or present members. Im just a simple fan of all 4 era's of DT. Yes i have opinions just like any other fan and every now and then i like to ask questions and gather thoughts. But that is all i am. A fan.... if i was some DT hating gunslinger then i wouldnt bother with this comment. I would have run awag.. but im not and thats why im hoping i can continue as a fan.
I will still make interesting polls and ask questions. But im just a longtime fan....
EDIT: Sorry this stupid phone posted twice.. the questions were asked in this forum and i forwarded them over to Derek...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2991 on: December 22, 2017, 03:43:58 AM »
I’m sorry you had that experience, and i’m glad you cleared up the misunderstandings. But this also does highlight a difference of approach here. See, we as fans of dream theater who are doing work on our own accord - bosk1 as the owner of this forum and me as the owner of the DT.club - we do say we work with DT. And DT and their management appreciates it and encourages it. Even though we don’t work -for- DT. I would also say I’ve worked with MP, CD and KM - AS i have done stuff with them - but I don’t work for them. I don’t pretend to speak for them or that I can influence them in any way.

The fact that Derek’s mgmt treated you like that speaks volumes of the arrogance in his organization - and it’s the same arrogance we’re actually criticizing him for here. If nothing else they could’ve just said ‘please clarify that you’re an associate by being a fan doing some free fan work for him’.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #2992 on: December 22, 2017, 05:05:15 AM »
I’m sorry you had that experience, and i’m glad you cleared up the misunderstandings. But this also does highlight a difference of approach here. See, we as fans of dream theater who are doing work on our own accord - bosk1 as the owner of this forum and me as the owner of the DT.club - we do say we work with DT. And DT and their management appreciates it and encourages it. Even though we don’t work -for- DT. I would also say I’ve worked with MP, CD and KM - AS i have done stuff with them - but I don’t work for them. I don’t pretend to speak for them or that I can influence them in any way.

The fact that Derek’s mgmt treated you like that speaks volumes of the arrogance in his organization - and it’s the same arrogance we’re actually criticizing him for here. If nothing else they could’ve just said ‘please clarify that you’re an associate by being a fan doing some free fan work for him’.
Thats the thing...
It wasnt just here. I mistakenly did it everywhere. When i was in a synth facebook group, i had arguments with other members over stupid things and i kept proclaiming "im working with Derek".... as you can imagine i quickly didnt become popular. Its all sorted and i havent got on the wrong side of them since. I do tend to jump head first into a swimming pool, and yet cant swim
I agree i was going too far. But i probebly did need a kick up the backside to make me realise that what i was doing wasnt helping myself... i dont think the mgmt treated me unfairly, i would rather someone be direct with me than try tk sugar coat it...
But my concern is i dont want people thinking im in league with someone negative. I dont know who is behind the screen. Like i said, i was just helping out a group. I wasnt there to "join forces" with anyone. Hence my departure...

I hope other members here can forgive the fact i was unaware, and i just wanna move forward and enjoy DT & SoA. Rock On

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2993 on: December 22, 2017, 05:17:25 AM »
You should also consider that your nickname starts with shady which probably doesn't help either  :P. But it's good that you were able to sort that out.  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #2994 on: December 22, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »
You should also consider that your nickname starts with shady which probably doesn't help either  :P. But it's good that you were able to sort that out.  :tup
Hahahaha. My nickname at work was "Shades"... because  always wearing sunglasses...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2995 on: December 22, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »
SOA just confirmed for Wacken!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2996 on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
That's totes Wack, yo!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2997 on: December 22, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
SOA just confirmed for Wacken!

Best gig they could ever get! Wacken is the metalheads' Mecca.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2998 on: December 22, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »
All the 'hate' doesn't seem to be affecting the Portnoy/Petrucci families relationship.

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/943631908088504320

Reality. What a concept.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2999 on: December 25, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »
Drum can video of Labyrinth:

https://youtu.be/9NgVO9y9i2w

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3000 on: December 25, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

Good song, minus the intro vocals. Fun to watch him play. Say what you want about MP, dude always makes me want to go play drums (sadly I can't at the moment, but still).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #3001 on: December 26, 2017, 02:34:13 AM »

Watched this... he glides his way through. Looks like his sticks bend at his speed haha

Online DTA

« Reply #3002 on: December 26, 2017, 05:34:13 AM »
Good video, but I’d really like to see him develop his playing more and actually create unique parts again. He resorts to the same types of beats and tricks throughout every single piece of music he plays on nowadays and it really makes everything sound very homogeneous. I know this won’t happen simply because he’s in the pump and dump phase of his musical career, but I really miss his creativity on the kit. I listened to 6 Degrees for the first time in awhile recently and was reminded just how awesome his parts were back then and how he utilized so much of the kit to create interesting sections.

On a different note, does anyone know what those cymbals are that are upside down on his crashes to the left and right?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3003 on: December 26, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »
Good video, but I’d really like to see him develop his playing more and actually create unique parts again. He resorts to the same types of beats and tricks throughout every single piece of music he plays on nowadays and it really makes everything sound very homogeneous. I know this won’t happen simply because he’s in the pump and dump phase of his musical career, but I really miss his creativity on the kit. I listened to 6 Degrees for the first time in awhile recently and was reminded just how awesome his parts were back then and how he utilized so much of the kit to create interesting sections.

On a different note, does anyone know what those cymbals are that are upside down on his crashes to the left and right?

I'm still in doubt whether to consider him being repetitive or having created his signature sound. Eddie Van Halen is a genius, and hasn't created anything new for two decades.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: December 26, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »
According to Mike, no drum cam DVD for this album. He says it's cause he didn't have "final take" footage but does anyone find that weird given all the other footage, and he has it seems 2 drum cam videos from this album already? Wonder if it's because of the poor sales of the album

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: December 26, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
Wonder if it's because of the poor sales of the album

I guess this is the primary reason. The guy always records everything, seems weird that this time around he doesnt has the “final take”.

I know some completists would love to have this even if the album wasnt their thing like myself

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3006 on: December 26, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »

I guess this is the primary reason.

That is a really strange assumption to make.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: December 26, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

Only reason I floated it was because it sold far worse than any of his other post-DT projects, isn't generating much buzz, and he's *always* had drum DVDs ready to go for DT and post-DT projects. Plus having 2 of the songs released with drum cam footage makes me a bit skeptical. Just strikes me as something MP wouldn't willingly do, personally, but I admit I could be completely wrong! I know a number of fans were really looking forward to it. EDIT: Below me MS makes a great point about them not being profitable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3008 on: December 26, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
Maybe not because the album sales are poor but I wonder how financially rewarding doing drum cam vids are at all.  I doubt he ever made that much from them but still if it isn't making a neat profit than maybe it just isn't worth it. 

It also may be that the actual recording was so fast that he didn't have time to set it all up.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: December 26, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »

Why?