Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467705 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2765 on: December 06, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
"... made up of over 100 highly qualified musicians."

Yeah, that's how I'd want to be described, "highly qualified".  It's like when you're trying to compliment someone but don't really have anything so you say that they're "punctual".

Some people find fault in everything... I think it's a great idea, and it'll keep things interesting. The level of negativity in this thread, and members making a point of posting here to criticize EVERY new info on this band, is just impressive. I wish I had half the free time you have...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2766 on: December 06, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »
Well, because it's funny. DT did the exact same thing (double set with an orchestra in the second half, and filmed). And for all of Derek's talk about 'balls and rock' and 'no cheese,' now he's playing with an orchestra in an ancient ampitheatre. Barely one year after their very first live show. And I'm sorry, but it's in the middle of Bulgaria.  I guess you gotta start taking over the world somewhere. :lol

(to be fair, I LOVE rock bands playing with orchestras. love it. but I would've never expected the bawlz n chunk Sons of Apollo to do it)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2767 on: December 06, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
Isn't Perfect Strangers already on the album?
Indeed. :lol
I hope they won’t cover any Purple, they already did Burn, and, frankly, I am yet to hear a good DP cover from anyone (Dream Theater’s Made in Japan cover is ostentatiously bad). Purple has a loose, cool, improvisational, bluesy feel, which these technical prog guys cannot nail to save their lives.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2768 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
Covers? Man, Portnoy sure does love his covers. In fact at this point it almost seems like he likes doing covers more than making original music. Literally every single band he has been in has played a plethora of covers. It's getting a bit old. I remember when bands pulled out covers as a special treat.

I think Richie Kotzen got kind of annoyed with it too. One of the first things they did was record a bunch of covers and then Mike publicly complained the Ritchie never finished the vocals or guitar or something.

I'm sure Richie liked being called out like that.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2769 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
Some people find fault in everything... I think it's a great idea, and it'll keep things interesting. The level of negativity in this thread, and members making a point of posting here to criticize EVERY new info on this band, is just impressive. I wish I had half the free time you have...
The members unconditionally supporting and defending everything the band does are quite impressive too, I must say. ;)

It's not that playing with an orchestra is a bad thing (well, unless the arrangements were bad.) Nor is playing small venues -- in many cases this makes for a more personal show. A lot of the negativity is shown because of the context of things said by its members.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2770 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
https://www.radiotangra.com/en/news/read/30754.html
The new American supergroup featuring members of DREAM THEATER, MR. BIG, GUNS ‘N ROSES, and JOURNEY will present live the songs from its sensational debut album 'Psychotic Symphony' followed by a 'By Request Covers Set' where the band will be joined by the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra founded nearly 70 years ago and made up of over 100 highly qualified musicians

MP said himself in Facebook the entire show will be with the orchestra, so I guess it’s the correct information.
While DT didn’t make a DVD from a single TA show, MP is still doing one of the things he’s always did best when he was in DT...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2771 on: December 06, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
The members unconditionally supporting and defending everything the band does are quite impressive too, I must say. ;)

It's not that playing with an orchestra is a bad thing (well, unless the arrangements were bad.) Nor is playing small venues -- in many cases this makes for a more personal show. A lot of the negativity is shown because of the context of things said by its members.

Yes, it’s true. But also is quite impressive when a lot of this negativity is shown because ... they  announced a DVD release  ::)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #2772 on: December 06, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »
. I will say that, while some of the guitar work is semi intricate, I can't really call bumblefoot a shredder. He's got some good rhythm and a few nice flourishes here and there, but if you compared him to many other players he'd come up kinda wanting to be honest.

I could not disagree more. If anything, I would say Ron is the most virtuoso musician out of the SoA bunch.

See, I would say that Billy Sheehan and MP are the best players in the band. But, keep in mind this is the first album I've heard Ron Thal play on. He may be a true virtuoso, but aside from a few flourishes, I don't hear it here.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
The new American supergroup featuring members of DREAM THEATER, MR. BIG, GUNS ‘N ROSES, and JOURNEY will present live the songs from its sensational debut album 'Psychotic Symphony' followed by a 'By Request Covers Set' where the band will be joined by the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra founded nearly 70 years ago and made up of over 100 highly qualified musicians

MP said himself in Facebook the entire show will be with the orchestra, so I guess it’s the correct information.
While DT didn’t make a DVD from a single TA show, MP is still doing one of the things he’s always did best when he was in DT...

Absolutely! I miss DT going the extra mile and it's clear who was always behind them doing so.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2774 on: December 06, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
That show sounds fucking awesome. Too bad it isn't around the corner, I'd gladly watch these guys and an orchestra play metal/rock classics and some of their own solid songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: December 06, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »

Absolutely! I miss DT going the extra mile and it's clear who was always behind them doing so.

JR mentioned something in a recent interview about losing MP and how they did lose a bit of that pulse of the fan base that MP has.  I don't think there's any doubt DT lost some of that "extra mile" when MP left, but I don't think DT not releasing a TA live dvd has anything to do with that and simply just that there wasn't a huge market for such a release since people didn't even show up to many of the concerts.  Which makes me wonder, how big of a crowd will MP draw for this event?  It's not an easy spot to get to and I recall Devin Townsend's fans were organizing group cars for transportation because it's not an easy spot for people to travel to on their own.  I think these guys would be a bigger name draw than Devin, but then again, I really didn't see such a positive reaction to the album to think that people are coming out to see this.  I'm really curious to see how the small show in NJ goes down in February.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2776 on: December 06, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »

How is MP releasing a live album from almost every studio thing he's done in the past few years related to DT not releasing an Astonishing DVD release? DT released massive concerts from both the ADTOE and DT tour cycles (even one of them got a cinema treatment!) and they were great. I sometimes miss Portnoy's spark for extra material in DT (although I do not miss forced releases like Chaos in Motion), but I don't see why MP advocates (not implying that you are, just throwing this in as a general observation), are the first ones in trying to separate MP from his DT-related endeavours and yet are the first to pick on the things that DT's 'not doing right' and MP's 'doing right', whatever that is.

Of course the SoA DVD (or should we start calling them Blu-Rays? lol) sounds like a nice idea and something definitely worth checking out, but I think I understand why some people are picking on this decision. I mean, if I were Derek or Portnoy, doesn't matter how cocky I am regarding the image of my band (and oh God they're cocky), I would not let pass a chance to play live with an orchestra (if I got the chance of doing that myself at some point I would go so crazy), but it seems as a weird-ish course of action for a band that:
1) Has been 'officially' on the radar for just a couple of months
2) Has in it a member who has virtually criticized a certain CheeseWiz and CheeseWizBand and now is doing the same exact things the CheeseWizBand has done for the past decade or so.
3) Is filling up a set with covers for lack of original material (not saying this is a bad thing, but I certainly know what to expect of Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy doing covers by this point).

Don't mean to sound like I'm picking on the band, they're free to do as they please and I certainly will check that concert out at some point and even buy it if the material is good, but boy I get what some people say. Maybe it shouldn't be this way, but all the shit that's been boiling around these guys for the past few months has diminished my interest on this band and all its endeavours. Am I not being objective? I dunno, but I think some folks around here feel the same way I do.

On a more positive note, Opus Maximus is probably going to sound epic.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:22:20 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2777 on: December 06, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
Well, I guess the key point here is the "extra mile" attitude MP always have in release live material from any band he's involved. And C'MON, I'm a uber-fan of DT, but there's no defense to not have any official footage from TA tour. It was the most beautiful stage production show made by DT. It's not like they were going to film a new Star Wars, I'm sure they could do it in a fair budget for, at least, a YtseJam Records release.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2778 on: December 06, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »
Maybe they wanted it to be a special event. Who knows. Not EVERYTHING needs a live release. TBH, I don't understand why Flying Colors has 2 live albums. Plus, then a whole wave of people would complain about continuing to milk The Astonishing. The book already gets tons of flack just for existing.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2779 on: December 06, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
This is very weird. Usually when bands do this it’s after an already established career with at least a few albums behind them.
That's what seems weird to me. To do this at this stage of Sons of Apollo almost to me makes it seem like a nostalgia act, or a cover band with big names in it that also happens to have an album that didn't chart in the US (except the Heatseakers Chart, still sold less than 5000 copies). It just seems odd, although it's guaranteed to sell on MP's name alone

if everyone that bought the album went to the show see them live, they could sell out 50 of those venues.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2780 on: December 06, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
Well, I guess the key point here is the "extra mile" attitude MP always have in release live material from any band he's involved. And C'MON, I'm a uber-fan of DT, but there's no defense to not have any official footage from TA tour. It was the most beautiful stage production show made by DT. It's not like they were going to film a new Star Wars, I'm sure they could do it in a fair budget for, at least, a YtseJam Records release.

Agreed 100% I was very surprised that they didn't have a live DVD or CD or Blu Ray release. Since they were so strict with cameras there is not even many good bootlegs of the tour.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2781 on: December 06, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
I am quite certain that A Change of Seasons will be on that request sheet or when people "write it in" MP may say "I said I wasn't going to play that live since DT played it recently but I'll do it for the fans"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2782 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »
I am quite certain that A Change of Seasons will be on that request sheet or when people "write it in" MP may say "I said I wasn't going to play that live since DT played it recently but I'll do it for the fans"

Yeah, maybe Breaking All Illusions too. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2783 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »
Everyone needs to request Space Dye Vest.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2784 on: December 06, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
I really liked the idea of shooting a live DVD/BR in an ancient roman amphitheater (a nice touch, thinking about that Apollo is the same name for the greek god and the equivalent roman god), but I found interesting for them, that have been defending the band's rock attitude from the day one, to make its first live recording with an orchestra! Personally I think it's cool, although already been done a lot, but ironically it's a thing that I've heard a lot from rock purists that true rock bands shouldn't do that, like NEVER! In fact, this is almost a prog or a rock band-trying-to-be-taken-seriously cliché!
C'mon DTF, how didn't you pointed out this HUGE flaw yet?!?! You disapointed me! ;D ;D ;D

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2785 on: December 06, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »

Yeah, that's how I'd want to be described, "highly qualified".  It's like when you're trying to compliment someone but don't really have anything so you say that they're "punctual".

Yeah, and some people are so blindly devoted that they can't even read properly that my comment was at the promoters saying they have "highly qualified" musicians as if the "real" musicians aren't available so they have backup musicians who can "adequately perform" their duties.

... and take your petty little "free time" personal shot you took at me as if I'm some sort of basement-dwelling troll with no life and shove it.  You have nearly as many posts as me in 1/6 the time I've been here not to mention nearly all of your recent ones are taking shots at DT and praising SoA who can do no wrong apparently.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2786 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
Is there already a way to request covers?

I hope they would do one track in JSS' recent solo album. I'm addicted to the song Reign Again, it's been playing consistently in my Spotify play list.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2787 on: December 06, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
I think if they wanted to have fun with us, they should record all the SFAM songs that DT played with an orchestra.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2788 on: December 06, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »

Yeah, and some people are so blindly devoted that they can't even read properly that my comment was at the promoters saying they have "highly qualified" musicians as if the "real" musicians aren't available so they have backup musicians who can "adequately perform" their duties.
Truth be told Eric, your comment does look like a dig at the band and not the promoter. That might not be the case, but considering how much you despise them, it could easily be interpreted that way - at first glance, I did.

Given that the promoter is from a country where English isn't the first language, is it necessary to nitpick such an insignificant detail?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2789 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
Truth be told Eric, your comment does look like a dig at the band and not the promoter. That might not be the case, but considering how much you despise them, it could easily be interpreted that way - at first glance, I did.

Given that the promoter is from a country where English isn't the first language, is it necessary to nitpick such an insignificant detail?

Coming from you, Scotty, that means something, thanks, I appreciate that, but from Buddy up there not so much, cuz either way this person decided to make it personal and that's not cool.

... And as much as I *do* despise "them", it was 100% a dig at the promoter, SoA had nothing to do with the wording and I'll use the classic "we're progfans, we nitpick" cliche.

This whole situation has made everyone tense AF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2790 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:27 AM »

But wouldn't 2 sets be a lot of material to rehearse with the orchestra? Most bands (Opeth, Katatonia, Paradise Lost) have played just one set, and at least Mikael Åkerfeldt lamented the fact that they didn't have a lot of time to prepare for the show together. Anathema did play most of the show with the orchestra, but then most of the songs in their set had string arrangements already.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2791 on: December 07, 2017, 01:03:18 AM »

Coming from you, Scotty, that means something, thanks, I appreciate that, but from Buddy up there not so much, cuz either way this person decided to make it personal and that's not cool.

... And as much as I *do* despise "them", it was 100% a dig at the promoter, SoA had nothing to do with the wording and I'll use the classic "we're progfans, we nitpick" cliche.

This whole situation has made everyone tense AF.
May I ask why you “despise” them?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:43:45 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2792 on: December 07, 2017, 01:37:38 AM »
Well, as someone kinda "in the middle" (Dislike the social media fiascos, like the album) I have to say that, generally, one kinda gets from reading here and there a "Lol look at them, this is so gonna bomb" vibe.

On the specific issue, there's nothing wrong with the idea of playing with an orchestra, and a covers set is almost mandatory when you have only one album... it's the album itself that doesn't really fits an orchestra for me. Yeah, God of the Sun will be nice, and so half of Labyrinth, but the rest? Sign of the Times, Coming Home, Lost in Oblivion...? slapping some orchestra on the songs played as they are it's gonna give a "too much makeup on a woman" feel.

Someone earlier mentioned A Change of Seasons - I wouldn't complain at all if that would made the set, just like I felt there was nothing wrong with Mike playing it with Shattered Fortress. Both him and DT had legitimate reasons to play it in their current tours.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

« Reply #2793 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:28 AM »
To me, playing an amphitheater and using an orchestra should be like a big career event. To do it with only one album that hasn’t achieved legendary status by any means and to fill the rest of the set with other people’s work just seems to asinine and bizarre. Are they really going to have professionally trained orchestra musicians play some half-assed symphonic arrangement for a Van Halen song? Even VH themselves haven’t done that shit.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2794 on: December 07, 2017, 04:03:24 AM »
It does feel like they want 'legendary' status without putting in the years of effort that takes

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2795 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:05 AM »
It does feel like they want 'legendary' status without putting in the years of effort that takes

Well, the single members have put years of effort. Sons of Apollo as a band obviously didn't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2796 on: December 07, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
To me, playing an amphitheater and using an orchestra should be like a big career event. To do it with only one album that hasn’t achieved legendary status by any means and to fill the rest of the set with other people’s work just seems to asinine and bizarre. Are they really going to have professionally trained orchestra musicians play some half-assed symphonic arrangement for a Van Halen song? Even VH themselves haven’t done that shit.

The purpose of a concert is to entertain people. If they do it with unique renditions of classic rock songs, why not? Them being half assed is a presumption on your part.

I also don't see why working with an orchestra needs to be an event after a succesful career. I see it as a large group of experienced mucisians performing music they love and if there is a crowd that enjoys it, the concert fullfills it's purpose.

There are no rules for this kind of stuff as far as I am aware. Though it is out of the norm, I don't see why it is a norm to adhere to.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2797 on: December 07, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »
I'm hoping their second release will be a "Greatest Hits" album.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2798 on: December 07, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »
this is slowly approaching Spinal Tap territory

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2799 on: December 07, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »
I'm hoping their second release will be a "Greatest Hits" album.

With a bonus second disc of covers!