Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467706 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2695 on: December 03, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »
. I will say that, while some of the guitar work is semi intricate, I can't really call bumblefoot a shredder. He's got some good rhythm and a few nice flourishes here and there, but if you compared him to many other players he'd come up kinda wanting to be honest.

I could not disagree more. If anything, I would say Ron is the most virtuoso musician out of the SoA bunch.

According so Derek they "all have sick chops" (  :lol ) but I agree Ron might be the most virtuoso of them. BTW I find it so cringeworthy when Derek says they are rockers but all have sick chops.

Yes Ron is quite amazing. Very humble too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2696 on: December 03, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »
Humblefoot?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2697 on: December 03, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
I remember someone at MPF telling a story about Steven Wilson berating a crowd some years ago for sitting, in a seated venue...
He is not a fan of seated venues. I remember him complaining about it at a Porcupine Tree show I saw in Toronto years back.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2698 on: December 03, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
10 years ago I was in an accident that shattered my left femur and my right ankle. Yes, that means that I had to learn how to walk again. Standing for even 10 minutes is no picnic. I will sit any chance that I can. I refuse to get handicap seating because I feel that would be taking away from someone in more need than I. I skip certain shows if I know I can't sit.

I stood in April for Katatonia and I will be standing in Feb for Machine Head. I'm a wreck and in immense pain after shows like that. Just walking after the show is handled by pure adrenaline and the thought that I can sit soon.

I'm only 41 too.

Give me a seated venue every day.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2699 on: December 03, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
I remember someone at MPF telling a story about Steven Wilson berating a crowd some years ago for sitting, in a seated venue...
He is not a fan of seated venues. I remember him complaining about it at a Porcupine Tree show I saw in Toronto years back.

Fuck him!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2700 on: December 03, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
. I will say that, while some of the guitar work is semi intricate, I can't really call bumblefoot a shredder. He's got some good rhythm and a few nice flourishes here and there, but if you compared him to many other players he'd come up kinda wanting to be honest.

I could not disagree more. If anything, I would say Ron is the most virtuoso musician out of the SoA bunch.

According so Derek they "all have sick chops" (  :lol ) but I agree Ron might be the most virtuoso of them. BTW I find it so cringeworthy when Derek says they are rockers but all have sick chops.
I used to think he was a cool guy (heck, the keyboard player in any given band was usually “my guy”), but at this point, I can’t help but cringe at anything that Derek says or does, like this fake “tough guy” pose and “angry” expression on a recent SoA poster. Ugh. Silly.

You can almost tell that the Del Fuvio bros take it super-duper seriously, while the rest don’t really give a shit.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:24:53 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2701 on: December 03, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
Love the Sheehan "I'm not really with these guys" look.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2702 on: December 03, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
I assumed it was because, due to his age, he couldn't physically keep up with the other guys.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2703 on: December 03, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »
I imagine that’ll be Derek and MP’s reaction when they show up to the Music Factory in Michigan.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2704 on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »
Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe just the way it worked out, but for concerts, I've been to far more seated venues than general admission.  I completely understand people wanting to stand, dance, move around, enjoy the music in their own way if the place allows for it; it's just not my thing.  But I've never been to a metal show; I think the heaviest I've ever gone was Aerosmith back in the 80's.  That was general admission, come to think of it.  But Genesis, ELP, Rush, Bowie were all assigned seating in auditoriums and arenas.  To me, that's the preferred norm.  I'm there for the show itself.  I want to hear them play, and dig it in real time.  The connection with the band.  The crowd and the whole "event" and it's associated energy is cool, but I can take it or leave it.

Hey Orbert - for DT you could get a balcony seat. People usually sit up there.

That's a good idea!  There are still bands that come around and once in a while I'll think about catching them.  I have to remember to look into the venue and see what the ticket options are.

Sure, I'd always rather be closer and see them better, but again, I'm there to listen.  Besides, everyone has huge screens with stuff on them to watch, including the band, so that's fine.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2705 on: December 03, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
I hate big shows with the screens most of all. If I'm gonna sit near the back of an arena watching the band on a screen, why wouldn't I save $60 and watch videos of them on youtube?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: December 03, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »

To be fair I've seen a few SW shows and none of them were seated, instead everyone stood there like statues :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2707 on: December 03, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
I hate big shows with the screens most of all. If I'm gonna sit near the back of an arena watching the band on a screen, why wouldn't I save $60 and watch videos of them on youtube?

Because there is still the element of being there and experiencing the music in real time.  I love watching a good concert vid, I even prefer it to subjecting myself to the cost of concert tickets and everything that comes with it, but video still cannot replace the experience of being there live.  Every live performance is unique.  Being there is still important.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2708 on: December 03, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »
You would think he would like seated venues. That way people are more focused on the music and presentation.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2709 on: December 03, 2017, 06:12:57 PM »
I wouldn't take the Steven Wilson stuff like he was too serious about it. I remember seeing a video where he did it in a cheeky, British way (what we Americans would call being a smart ass).  He is not the type to legitimately bitch about something like that when presenting a show.

As for seated vs. sitting, I always prefer to have seats, but will always pick my spots when I can stand. Trust me, you youngans, when you hit your 40s, you will not be wanting to go to a concert to stand the entire time and never having the option of sitting. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2710 on: December 03, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
Wisdom

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2711 on: December 03, 2017, 08:09:15 PM »
I've only ever really been to sitting concerts, honestly. I think I've only been to three standing concerts, and both of them had some seats. Two were Christian Rock concerts/conferences/whatever which were at churches with seats (I sat for a good portion of them and even when I was standing I hardly danced), and the other was an indie rock concert at a club at my school I went to a few weeks ago (I sat the entire time I was inside...which was only like 15min of the concert because it was free for students so it took forever to get inside). To be fair though, I mainly go to classical, jazz, and musical theater/opera concerts. Those are sitting only, so it's what I'm used to and prefer greatly. I never know what to do with myself when standing at a concert, and would rather just focus on the music. If I get really get into the groove of the music (usually happens at jazz concerts if the rhythm section is any good), I can just bob my head or tap my foot/fingers/hands along with the beat.

I also used to work at a Theater/Performing Arts Center for a couple of years and most of the concerts we had there were sitting only, regardless of the genre. Beatles tribute groups, crooners, folk groups, dance shows, jazz groups, they all were mainly sat through. The only one I can remember that people actually stood up and danced for was the Motown tribute group we had one year. To be fair though, most of our clientele was a bit on the older side because this is Florida and our number one import is old people, so it's a bit hard for them to dance without hurting something.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: December 03, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
As for seated vs. sitting, I always prefer to have seats, but will always pick my spots when I can stand. Trust me, you youngans, when you hit your 40s, you will not be wanting to go to a concert to stand the entire time and never having the option of sitting.

I'm closing in on 50 and I still prefer standing over seated. I tend to want to be close to the stage and rock out the whole time, dancing, jumping, clapping hands, singing along et cetera...
I am there to enjoy the music and to give some  energy back to the artists.... seated is fine for the occasional show, The Astonishing was fine for that but I could not imagine sitting at a Gojira concert for instance.

Edit: Just realised that all shows that I have booked for next year so far are seated.... how come? Steven Wilson, Kate Bush tribute,  Peter Hammill, King Crimson and Roger Waters.... all seated and with the exception of Steven Wilson quite close to the stage.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:09:10 AM by SwedishGoose »

Offline efx

« Reply #2713 on: December 04, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »
My take on seated vs standing is pretty simple. You want to stand, by a floor ticket. You want to sit, buy a seat. Sometimes you don't have a choice but stand like in smaller clubs but if I want to sit for various reasons I will expect to be able to do so without some jackass standing up in front of me. I've noticed some of the larger venues here are taking a proactive stance towards keeping people from blocking others views in the seated section and that's something I can and do appreciate.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2714 on: December 04, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »
The problem is more the opposite. Most venues here at least in Boston have no GA area, so you are forcefully wedged into the seats.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2715 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
So, too early to start guessing the setlist? I mean they confirmed they will be playing pretty much the whole album. Now just a question of what else will fill in the gaps. I'm guessing Line in the Sand...and I honestly have no other guesses.

Online Adami

« Reply #2716 on: December 04, 2017, 10:25:08 PM »
Hell's Kitchen seems like an obvious choice.

Probably a few classic covers too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2717 on: December 05, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »
It's a shame really. Despite me not actually not liking the album that much, I would have watched them live. But the next concert is essentially 5 states away, not going to happen.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2718 on: December 05, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
So, too early to start guessing the setlist? I mean they confirmed they will be playing pretty much the whole album. Now just a question of what else will fill in the gaps. I'm guessing Line in the Sand...and I honestly have no other guesses.

My guess:
All the album songs with extended jams here and there (Derek will probably have a solo spot for example with a 5 minutes extension of Figaro's Whore)
Lines in the Sand, maybe Hell's Kitchen, and a couple of relatively "obscure" cover songs
Encore of classic songs, maybe having Bumblefoot and JSS there justifies them to do some GnR or Malmsteen
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2719 on: December 05, 2017, 01:38:44 AM »

My guess:
All the album songs with extended jams here and there (Derek will probably have a solo spot for example with a 5 minutes extension of Figaro's Whore)
Lines in the Sand, maybe Hell's Kitchen, and a couple of relatively "obscure" cover songs
Encore of classic songs, maybe having Bumblefoot and JSS there justifies them to do some GnR or Malmsteen

I am so incredibly unexcited for that. Usually I love when bands cover some stuff, but that's usually because I go to watch bands that do some classic prog stuff and not 80s-heavy metal. But Portnoy and the boys playing GnR and Malmsteen? I hope not :D Especially when the respective original bands are still existent and on tour.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2720 on: December 05, 2017, 02:15:27 AM »
So, Sons Of Apollo just announced a show in Poland on 18th August in Warsaw. I'll be there because of work for sure so, I will probably go there to see them. I think that You could be prepared for more european dates...

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2721 on: December 05, 2017, 05:00:04 AM »
If they were playing directly outside I'd only go to see them if they paid me. And more than half of my apartment was on fire

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2722 on: December 05, 2017, 05:32:32 AM »
Maybe JSS can headline to feature his solo album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2723 on: December 05, 2017, 05:46:21 AM »
So, Sons Of Apollo just announced a show in Poland on 18th August in Warsaw. I'll be there because of work for sure so, I will probably go there to see them. I think that You could be prepared for more european dates...

The italian date is in late June. Will they actually spend a month and a half at least in Europe or will go back and forth from the USA? seems unlikely they'd stay over that long but doing a single trans-oceanic flight maybe would be more cost effective...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: December 05, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »
There is also Be Prog my Friend in Barcelona on the 29th and 30th of June.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: December 05, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »

The italian date is in late June. Will they actually spend a month and a half at least in Europe or will go back and forth from the USA? seems unlikely they'd stay over that long but doing a single trans-oceanic flight maybe would be more cost effective...

February US tour, Summer Europe, I'd guess US again in the fall and sprinkle some SA or Asia dates in the spring or fall as well?  For a year dedicated to touring, they got to start popping out more dates especially with the summer festivals already being announced.  The US summer festival line ups are coming out around now too. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2726 on: December 05, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »

My guess:

I am so incredibly unexcited for that. Usually I love when bands cover some stuff, but that's usually because I go to watch bands that do some classic prog stuff and not 80s-heavy metal. But Portnoy and the boys playing GnR and Malmsteen? I hope not :D Especially when the respective original bands are still existent and on tour.

I seriously doubt they play GNR. Mike has never seemed to care for them.

I also thought they might play Hell's Kitchen but with Mike being so weird about DT playing songs around the same time I wonder if he would.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2727 on: December 05, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
Summer tour in europe (apart from festival dates) is really strange imo. July and august are horrible months for touring in europe. To the point of where venues here are more or less closed during those months...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: December 05, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »
Summer tour in europe (apart from festival dates) is really strange imo. July and august are horrible months for touring in europe. To the point of where venues here are more or less closed during those months...

Im guessing its really going to be a festival tour with solo dates in between to fill the gaps.  Sort of like how DT and others like Iron Maiden do it, but obviously on a smaller scale.  Granted, I know nothing about club concerts in Europe during the summer.  Just my guess.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2729 on: December 05, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »

My guess:

I seriously doubt they play GNR. Mike has never seemed to care for them.

I also thought they might play Hell's Kitchen but with Mike being so weird about DT playing songs around the same time I wonder if he would.

Yes, that reminds me of another classic MP social media moment.

“November Rain is an all-time classic song…but why on Earth did Matt Sorum play the SAME EXACT fill every 4 bars? (23 times to be exact!),” tweeted Portnoy on Aug 4.
A couple of days later, Sorum responded. “@MikePortnoy that fill was Axls idea As a musical phrase that carried on through the trilogy , ‘Don’t Cry’ and ‘Estranged.’ Those albums UYI 1 n 2 Have sold 20 million combined.”
Blabbermouth points out that Sorum defended the 'November Rain' drumming during a 2009 interview with Music Radar. They got the idea from Elton John's song ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.’
In another tweet, Sorum continued the conversation. "@MikePortnoy remember kids, drumming isn't all about fancy drum fills and splash cymbals; ask Charlie Watts, Ringo and Phil Rudd."
Instead of erupting into a Twitter war, things settled down with Portnoy's response. "@mattsorum Agree 1000%!! Ringo is one of my greatest heroes!! No disrespect meant bro...just making an observation of that song. Peace! : )"