Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468023 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2625 on: November 30, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
MP: Well Taylor, I've got good news and bad news.
TS: ....
MP: I just quit Sons of Apollo but that means I can be with you guys!
TS: Uh, that's not necessarily what we agreed on.
MP: ...but I already out out my press release.

:lol

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2626 on: November 30, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
  • Shattered Fortress shows - decent venues & mostly sold out from what I gather. Were fans there just to see MP & Haken or to hear those DT songs?

Sons Of Apollo shows - not so great venues that may sell out (due to smaller size). Are people going just to see MP & the band or to hear the SOA songs?

This tells us that it's more about the music than the artist. I get that the Shattered Fortress also brought the element of nostalgia to the mix but in my opinion, I like the 12 step suite much more than the SOA release.

UPDATE: The majority of votes on the poll are in the 5-7 out of 10 range with 7 garnering the most votes.

I think it is much more to see the songs than the artist. Otherwise AMob would have been as successful as The Winery Dogs

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2627 on: December 01, 2017, 02:18:09 AM »
But a lot of people were actively turned off by AMob. Overweight middle aged dudes playing nu metal tough manning their way through songs about wannabes is much harder to swallow than the Winery Dogs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2628 on: December 01, 2017, 03:18:18 AM »
Gods, that Music Factory venue and that parking.

I hope it's nice inside and that it will turn out a small, intimate and energetic evening... and that people going to the concert will learn to park better!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2629 on: December 01, 2017, 05:08:04 AM »
But a lot of people were actively turned off by AMob. Overweight middle aged dudes playing nu metal tough manning their way through songs about wannabes is much harder to swallow than the Winery Dogs.

... isn't that pretty much what sons of apollo is too? ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2630 on: December 01, 2017, 05:17:42 AM »
Well, Coming Home lyrics aside, I wouldn't really say  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2631 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32:46 AM »
Well, MP just confirmed on Twitter that he offered the Galactic Cowboys the opening slot and they had to decline due to scheduling.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2632 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »
Gods, that Music Factory venue and that parking.

I hope it's nice inside and that it will turn out a small, intimate and energetic evening... and that people going to the concert will learn to park better!!!

It's not.  It's Battle Creek, Michigan.  I've been there.  It's a dive in the middle of nowhere where people living in the middle of nowhere can go drink beer and listen to loud live music after working all day.  Sons of Apollo will do fine there.  They'll sound great, the crowd will be appreciative, but they won't know these guys from any of the 10-cent garage bands that come through there.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2633 on: December 01, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »

You got to give credit were credit is due. Post-MP, the band has (was, before the accident) been very active. They kept releasing music and their tours kept getting longer and longer. The last summer tour they did was 1.5 months long and were hitting a lot of the bigger cities (small venues) and smaller cities. There was an audience for AMob. The last time I saw them they pretty much sold out the venue they were playing in Austin or Dallas (about 500-600). If Amob was unsuccessful, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be touring or at least just hitting the major markets. IIRC, AMob got an opening slot for Godsmack. I don't recall if MP was still in the band at this point. So for as cheesy Amob has been, they had a market and a decent following. Hell, they always put on a great live show.

https://www.adrenalinemob.com/?page_id=1711

On the other hand, Winery Dogs hit it right off the table. Both shows I saw in Dallas were pretty much packed (about 700-800, possibly more?). To be honest, I don't think the douchebagery by DS or MP will affect the touring numbers. The size (and cities) of these venues will and it will be interested if the band itself doesn't deflate after this 1st round in the US and just concentrate on the bigger cities with short tour stints in the US. I could see SoA doing a whole lot better in Europe and Japan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2634 on: December 01, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »
Whoever made that picture has no clue what the point of pop music is.

I love how it implies that Bohemian Rhapsody is deep and meaningful (it might be; Freddie never went on record as to what the words meant, though he purportedly told Roger Taylor who hasn't spilled the beans.   We do know, though, that the operatic section was more a phonetic exercise than a literal one.)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2635 on: December 01, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »
how will beyonce ever recover from such a savage burn

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2636 on: December 01, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
how will beyonce ever recover from such a savage burn

By telling us to go back to flipping burgers. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2637 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
Well, MP just confirmed on Twitter that he offered the Galactic Cowboys the opening slot and they had to decline due to scheduling.

BUT...I already put out a press release!  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: December 01, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
Got a ticket for Asbury Park.  $33 after fees and paying for the ticket stub.  Not bad.  People may be shitting on the venues, but I am excited to see these guys in a small spot.  Should be an energetic show IMO.  Not a bad way to spend a Thursday night.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2639 on: December 01, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
Got a ticket for Asbury Park.  $33 after fees and paying for the ticket stub.  Not bad.  People may be shitting on the venues, but I am excited to see these guys in a small spot.  Should be an energetic show IMO.  Not a bad way to spend a Thursday night.

I love small venues, I just think it's funny after MP and DS's bravado. I respect bands that will play anywhere they can get. I loved seeing Tate and Living Colour in small venues.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: December 01, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
I just think it's funny after MP and DS's bravado.

Yea, kind of sums up SOA really.  I haven't really seen much bravado lately on twitter, could of just missed it, but if they've stopped it that's a good sign. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2641 on: December 01, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »

Yea, kind of sums up SOA really.  I haven't really seen much bravado lately on twitter, could of just missed it, but if they've stopped it that's a good sign.

The album tanked on release and nobody anywhere is talking about this band other than the few of us in this thread. It would be difficult now for Derek to wheel out his "this band is gonna be HUGE!!" shtick, and claim they're about to overthrow Dream Theater as the "kings of prog metal" (DT who are now mixing their Budokan show as SoA prepare to play an outhouse with a liquor licence). Derek has gone silent not because he's realised his approach was stupid and harmful to his band and offensive to his most likely audience, but because even he realises how silly it would be to declare his new band the "kings of prog metal" as they book venues only accessible by helicopter. In short, the band hasn't been the hit he or MP imagined it would be. Almost nobody gives a shit about them, having heard the album, and his misplaced braggadocio looks even more foolish now than it did before the album release. That's why the cocky 'Del Fuvian' wit has ground to a halt.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: December 01, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
Fair enough, but it stopped so that's still good.  Maybe they learned a bit of a lesson about being too cocky and playing some small clubs will be a humbling experience.  Maybe they can use this, not their dislike of DT, to fuel their next album and actually create some music with soul and not just pump something out after a week in the studio.  Assuming there is a next album of course.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2643 on: December 01, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »

The album tanked on release and nobody anywhere is talking about this band other than the few of us in this thread. It would be difficult now for Derek to wheel out his "this band is gonna be HUGE!!" shtick, and claim they're about to overthrow Dream Theater as the "kings of prog metal" (DT who are now mixing their Budokan show as SoA prepare to play an outhouse with a liquor licence). Derek has gone silent not because he's realised his approach was stupid and harmful to his band and offensive to his most likely audience, but because even he realises how silly it would be to declare his new band the "kings of prog metal" as they book venues only accessible by helicopter. In short, the band hasn't been the hit he or MP imagined it would be. Almost nobody gives a shit about them, having heard the album, and his misplaced braggadocio looks even more foolish now than it did before the album release. That's why the cocky 'Del Fuvian' wit has ground to a halt.

I laughed way harder at the bolded portion than I should have. It just struck me as really funny.

I personally hope their tour is a success, at least enough to get a second album because I suspect it could be infinitely better than this first one.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2644 on: December 01, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
Very funny line there.

Seeing those guys in a very small place would be great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: December 01, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
BTW, I don't know if it's been discussed, but what is the source of 'Del Fuvian' anyway.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2646 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
I was tempted to see them in NJ, but man, coming from MA, that would just be craptastic to get to. If they played in Atlantic City I would probably go.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2647 on: December 01, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
Derek's 'Sherinianisms' remind me of the scene in Step Brothers when Derek goes up to the treehouse to brag about himself to John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell. Dave's post is when JCR punches him out of the tree.  :lol

The 'Del Fuvio' thing comes from the FII days, I guess the producer called Sherinian and Portnoy the 'Del Fuvio' brothers, whatever that means.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2648 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
BTW, I don't know if it's been discussed, but what is the source of 'Del Fuvian' anyway.

MP's alter ego during the Nightmare Cinema days was "Max del Fuvio".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2649 on: December 01, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
Fair enough, but it stopped so that's still good.  Maybe they learned a bit of a lesson about being too cocky and playing some small clubs will be a humbling experience.  Maybe they can use this, not their dislike of DT, to fuel their next album and actually create some music with soul and not just pump something out after a week in the studio.  Assuming there is a next album of course.

Hopefully. They really did fuck the entire promotional thing up right from the start, from the moment MP lashed out on his Forum at people speculating on who was in the band based on that picture that guitar (or keyboard? Don't remember) tech posted (how Mike would love to have that level of enthusiasm for the band now), to the whole misguided "The MP Warriors will love it if we trash DT every day!" PR campaign.

Those of us on MP's forum tried to tell him to have a word with Derek and put a stop to it. He responded by saying we didn't get the Del Fuvian wit and closed his forum. You all know the story by now.  Have they learnt from it? Time will show. I know MP reads this thread. He still has a tonne of fans who love his work, and who like him personally, and that includes me, but this was done all wrong, and I think it's part of the reason the project has got off to a terrible start. They ought to have foregone the 'Del Fuvian wit' and respected the efforts of Jeff, Billy and Ron, who also gave their time and effort to this project and wanted to see it succeed. It was inappropriate for MP and DS to bring their weird beef with DT into it. If all this was meant to be was some petty revenge project, why bring others into it?

But it's old news of course. As I just wrote elsewhere, I'm in a bizarrely bitter mood tonight. Gonna have a wine now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:12:58 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #2650 on: December 01, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »
hey all... Haven't been around for a while. Haven't even been lurking. Wondered what you guys thought of SoA. My take is that its a killer record. I will say that, while some of the guitar work is semi intricate, I can't really call bumblefoot a shredder. He's got some good rhythm and a few nice flourishes here and there, but if you compared him to many other players he'd come up kinda wanting to be honest. That being said, this album reminds me of the old DT stuff, which I've really been missing. I've been looking for some new prog metal to get into. This gives me that feel I had when I first got into DT. I've missed the really proggy instrumental sections of their songs. God of the Sun is one of the best tracks I've heard in a while. Long, intricate middle section... killer riff. To be honest, this album has got me wanting some new prog to listen to and I'm really trying to find intricate musicianship on par with SoA. Any suggestions? LOL
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2651 on: December 01, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »

I literally LOL'ed.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2652 on: December 01, 2017, 04:31:16 PM »

I laughed way harder at the bolded portion than I should have. It just struck me as really funny.

I personally hope their tour is a success, at least enough to get a second album because I suspect it could be infinitely better than this first one.

Can you please specify on the bolded part? Is there a live album in the making? What did I miss??? Or is it just a joke I am not getting?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2653 on: December 01, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »
the show was shot for japanese tv, so Chycki mixed the audio for that.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: December 01, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

Hopefully. They really did fuck the entire promotional thing up right from the start, from the moment MP lashed out on his Forum at people speculating on who was in the band based on that picture that guitar (or keyboard? Don't remember) tech posted (how Mike would love to have that level of enthusiasm for the band now), to the whole misguided "The MP Warriors will love it if we trash DT every day!" PR campaign.

Dave, what thread was that in? The picture thing? I must’ve completely missed that ; I don’t remember.

I was initially excited about this project, because I like FII and have a couple of Derek’s solo albums. So I was looking forward to the two of them working together again, but the music just doesn’t do anything for me personally.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #2655 on: December 01, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
. I will say that, while some of the guitar work is semi intricate, I can't really call bumblefoot a shredder. He's got some good rhythm and a few nice flourishes here and there, but if you compared him to many other players he'd come up kinda wanting to be honest.

I could not disagree more. If anything, I would say Ron is the most virtuoso musician out of the SoA bunch.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:21:40 PM by SjundeInseglet »

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2656 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:41 AM »

I wonder if their schedule would have cleared up if DT offered them the spot.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2657 on: December 02, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »

I wonder if their schedule would have cleared up if DT offered them the spot.

:lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2658 on: December 02, 2017, 06:15:47 AM »
Well, that was said as a joke, but I guess it's only logical that if certain opportunities arise, you just go for them.

Iced Earth back in 2001 postponed an european tour to open for Judas Priest, which was of course a chance not to be missed. Then sadly 9/11 happened and when the postponed tour once again collided with the european dates, they didn't feel like postponing Europe for the second time and renounced the JP gig.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2659 on: December 02, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »
. I will say that, while some of the guitar work is semi intricate, I can't really call bumblefoot a shredder. He's got some good rhythm and a few nice flourishes here and there, but if you compared him to many other players he'd come up kinda wanting to be honest.

I could not disagree more. If anything, I would say Ron is the most virtuoso musician out of the SoA bunch.

According so Derek they "all have sick chops" (  :lol ) but I agree Ron might be the most virtuoso of them. BTW I find it so cringeworthy when Derek says they are rockers but all have sick chops.
any rock can be made to roll