Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467858 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2415 on: November 23, 2017, 08:04:39 AM »
I’m sorry I don’t follow! Can you be specific?

DS childish insults?

DS and MP have brought this on themselves? What have the brought on and what have they actually done?

Have you read this thread at all?  Start with that.  If 70 pages is too much to read, start on page 2.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #2416 on: November 23, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
he’s more of a dick that I am also!

No doubt about that 😉😉
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #2417 on: November 23, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »

DS childish insults?

DS and MP have brought this on themselves? What have the brought on and what have they actually done?

Have you read this thread at all?  Start with that.  If 70 pages is too much to read, start on page 2.

Way too much to bother reading, thanks for the help though 👍🏻

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #2418 on: November 23, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
Yo Yo Yo,

There seems to be a lot of hate towards DS and SOA, can anyone please enlighten me as to why?

Thanks in advance, I need educating here  😊

Welcome to the forum, Derek.

Hi James, I’m not Derek 😘

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2419 on: November 23, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
I'd rather see 6 tablets than 5 Sons of Apollo.
I also made my own edit version, where I omitted the first 9 songs.
Savage :rollin

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2420 on: November 23, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
Unfortunately, Derek and Mike created their own problem.
Before this project and all the shenanigans that came with it, Derek was generally regarded as a funny (making history, and you?) and classy (no negative comments about DT, despite being fired over the phone) guy around here. He really put in a lot of effort to completely shatter that image.

DS childish insults?

This arrogant comment addressed to a critical fan made some people not want to support him financially.

Also, he's constantly taking cheap shots at DT and Jordan, none of which are the least bit funny. Actually, my biggest gripe with all of this is that he's just not funny, there's no redeeming quality to his antics, yet it's so obvious that he's trying so hard to be funny. He's just obnoxious. He really strikes me, to put it mildly, as an unintelligent person. And MP enables his childish behavior by calling it "Del Fuvian Bravado" and "Sherinianisms."

Even the people on Mike's own forum got ticked off by Derek, to the point where Mike said this:
I suppose Derek's "Sherinianisms" and "Del Fuvio Bravado" tainted the waters here on The Forums... Shame if you let that spoil this band/album for you...

...then proceeded to shut the whole forum down while saying this:
Actually....I think it's time for a Permanent Vacation... Sorry gang....just way too much bickering and negativity. It's time to move on...it was fun while it lasted, but I can only take so much and I'm not interested in playing host to it anymore.

So Derek's rudeness stirred up some nerves, and Mike put all the blame on his own fans. Classy.

He also had this to say about DTF:

Such an aura of toxicity that surrounds these two people.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:01:34 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2421 on: November 23, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »
People just don't have the time for peace, love, and serenity anymore
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2422 on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
Well, to be fair, the explanation DT gave - firing him over a conference call because they didn't want to actually board a plane and travel just to be fired - seems acceptable to me.

The guy was going to get the boot anyway, why "lure" him with "Hey there's this important band meeting, you really have to be here, buy a ticket and board a plane and find yourself an hotel" and then just go "Sorry dude, we like Jordan Rudess, he's in, you're out"?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2423 on: November 23, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
Well, to be fair, the explanation DT gave - firing him over a conference call because they didn't want to actually board a plane and travel just to be fired - seems acceptable to me.

The guy was going to get the boot anyway, why "lure" him with "Hey there's this important band meeting, you really have to be here, buy a ticket and board a plane and find yourself an hotel" and then just go "Sorry dude, we like Jordan Rudess, he's in, you're out"?
Oh yeah, no doubt. I was just phrasing it like that for effect, but yeah, the point was: "no negative comments about DT, despite being fired." Whether it was over the phone or not isn't relevant.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2424 on: November 23, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
Anyway, I agree with you, up until Sons of Apollo Derek had absolutely nothing against him, since he never said anything bad about DT and even guest starred with them for the WDADR show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2425 on: November 23, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
Just another reason why this band won't see a single penny from me.

I'd love to see a Trump vs. Sons of Apollo twitter battle.

Derek'd be like #NoMexicoWall
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2426 on: November 23, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
MP is just as culpable as Derek. I don't see much difference in what they've said and done and are a PR disaster tag team.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2427 on: November 23, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
DS has been talking shit just recently while MP has been talking shit since he left so right now I'd say it's about even.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2428 on: November 23, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
We are trolls over here according to MIke?  haha, Well all of these trolls here have spent hard on money on his work for years and years and that's the thanks we get.  Nice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2429 on: November 23, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
Never Enough.

AmIright?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: November 23, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
Yo Yo Yo,

There seems to be a lot of hate towards DS and SOA, can anyone please enlighten me as to why?

Thanks in advance, I need educating here  😊

Welcome to the forum, Derek.

No lie I thought the exact same thing Kev :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2431 on: November 23, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »
 :lol

It has to be Derek. All of his posts are ripping on James and the band and his first post was here in the Sons of Apollo. It just has to be
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2432 on: November 23, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
Whether it is Derek or not, I choose to believe it is. It'll make everything more entertaining :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2433 on: November 23, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
Wouldn't be the first ex band member to post here. Didnt one or two actually get banned?

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #2434 on: November 24, 2017, 12:28:20 AM »

It has to be Derek. All of his posts are ripping on James and the band and his first post was here in the Sons of Apollo. It just has to be

Whether it is Derek or not, I choose to believe it is. It'll make everything more entertaining :lol

Seriously??  :lol  :lol
Fans are entitled to opinions about others surely

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #2435 on: November 24, 2017, 12:29:09 AM »
Wouldn't be the first ex band member to post here. Didnt one or two actually get banned?

Charlie was i believe....

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2436 on: November 24, 2017, 02:39:04 AM »

Charlie was i believe....

Charlie was banned from here? Why is that? I have him as FB friend and I always had the impression of him being a pretty nice dude.

I thought the same thing and I am going to do the same thing :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2437 on: November 24, 2017, 04:25:59 AM »

Seriously??  :lol  :lol
Fans are entitled to opinions about others surely
Apparently not. Only one opinion is allowed.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2438 on: November 24, 2017, 04:45:01 AM »
I remember David Prater (he produced I&W and ACoS) coming here anonymously when the discussion was about his feud with MP and JP as described in Lifting Shadows (by far the most entertaining part of the book btw!). He posed as someone who knew Prater and proceeded to defend him vigorously while badmouthing DT. He was called out as Prater after his very first comment, which was hilarious. Also, someone tracked down that his username was Prater’s former band or studio or something like that, so it was definitely him.

Anyway, it also instantly crossed my mind that this guy might be Derek. He apparently has an insane amount of free time to dick around with social media, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I wonder what his thought process might have been here: “So I went to that cesspool which is DTF and asked what their problem was with me, and of course no one could give me a straight answer, they’re just haters, and they’re jealous, I knew it.”

Problem is, he actually got some answers, and conveniently disappeared afterwards.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2439 on: November 24, 2017, 04:50:57 AM »
He was called out as Prater after his very first comment, which was hilarious.

This made me remember of a famous scene from italian comedy - there's this series of movies about a very down on his luck clerk that never ever has anything good going for him, he's the epitome of the frustrated, average guy, think 6:00 taken to the most extreme and comical levels of bad luck. There's this scene in which he attempts to blackmail the director of his firm, and he goes to great and comical lengths to disguise his voice for a prank call, and the moment the director picks up the phone and he talks with an absolutely distorted voice, the director immediately calls him out asking (correctly) if it's him  :lol

Kind a similar situation here..
"I'll pretend I'll be someone close to Prater"
"Prater, is that you?"
"FUUUUUUU"

:rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: November 24, 2017, 04:55:23 AM »
Just read that guys posts, has to be Derek.

Welcome to the board Derek.  Too bad you missed out on playing on the good DT albums.  I'll let you off though for ACOS.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2441 on: November 24, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »
Nah, it's not Derek. But it's a fanboy for sure, probably close to Derek. Probably gotten close through sucking up, and is now running around the internet trolling to "protect his dear friend". I think I've seen him on the fan club facebook page too... If it is who I think it is, he runs a group with Straz as an "unofficial SoA fan club"...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2442 on: November 24, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »
Personally, I think 70 pages of discussion is a bit too much credit for this average an album, but hey.....  :\
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2443 on: November 24, 2017, 05:18:21 AM »
He was called out as Prater after his very first comment, which was hilarious.

This made me remember of a famous scene from italian comedy - there's this series of movies about a very down on his luck clerk that never ever has anything good going for him, he's the epitome of the frustrated, average guy, think 6:00 taken to the most extreme and comical levels of bad luck. There's this scene in which he attempts to blackmail the director of his firm, and he goes to great and comical lengths to disguise his voice for a prank call, and the moment the director picks up the phone and he talks with an absolutely distorted voice, the director immediately calls him out asking (correctly) if it's him  :lol

Kind a similar situation here..
"I'll pretend I'll be someone close to Prater"
"Prater, is that you?"
"FUUUUUUU"

:rollin
:lol That sounds absolutely hilarious. What is the title of the movie? Is that scene on YouTube by chance?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2444 on: November 24, 2017, 05:23:01 AM »
The movie is called Il Secondo Tragico Fantozzi - meaning "The second tragic Fantozzi", second movie in a series about the titular character, Fantozzi.

You can see the scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTwRfHqzIJM

The whole scene is the preparation on how to disguise the voice ("Go inside the pot! Do a swedish accent! Block your nose with the clothespin" etc), even if you don't know italian, you'll surely get the hang of it  :D

The immediate answer of the director ("Fantocci, is that you?" - Fantocci and not Fantozzi 'cause no one is bothered to learn the proper name of the guy) is kinda classic in Italy, everyone here knows it  :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2445 on: November 24, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
Some more Sherinianisms:

BTW, this comment is no longer on the thread. Given Derek and Mike's tendencies to delete comments/block people, they probably removed it! omg  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2446 on: November 24, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
that's sad....

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2447 on: November 24, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
The movie is called Il Secondo Tragico Fantozzi - meaning "The second tragic Fantozzi", second movie in a series about the titular character, Fantozzi.

The whole scene is the preparation on how to disguise the voice ("Go inside the pot! Do a swedish accent! Block your nose with the clothespin" etc), even if you don't know italian, you'll surely get the hang of it  :D

The immediate answer of the director ("Fantocci, is that you?" - Fantocci and not Fantozzi 'cause no one is bothered to learn the proper name of the guy) is kinda classic in Italy, everyone here knows it  :D
That's hilarious, even though I don't speak Italian, I laughed out loud. The way he immediately smacks the phone down. How you connected it to the Prater case makes it even more funny. :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2448 on: November 24, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
Wow, a bit shocked about that MP post about DTF. I've been here all these years and I haven't seen that much negativity here to be honest. Negative posters seem to get their ass handed to them soon enough every time one pops up. This is a fantastic place to discover new music from all kinds of genres with people who come from the 'DT universe'. Guess he just can't handle ANY criticism. I'm a huge MP fan when it comes to DT, but this really isn't cool. Not cool at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2449 on: November 24, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »

That's hilarious, even though I don't speak Italian, I laughed out loud. The way he immediately smacks the phone down. How you connected it to the Prater case makes it even more funny. :lol

Glad that you liked it! As I said that scene is very famous in Italy, so it immediately comes to mind when the argument is "Someone makes a lot of effort to go undetected and is discovered in a nanosecond", like I read it happened with Prater's first post  :D