Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467830 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2345 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
It doesn't necessarily have to be "one."  That isn't the point. 

Yes, it is.  I was speaking in general terms, about trying to do your job while two guys are telling you what to do, and someone said that there's only one voice that counts.  So I asked who that one person would be.  I got lots of answers, but no one actually answered the question I asked.  So I restated it, and still no one answered it.  Look, I wouldn't even give a shit, but I made what I thought was a general statement, and someone started talking about Dave and Brian and Marty or whoever, and how there's only one voice that counts.  I would just like to know who that one person is.  That is the point I was making.

And I think you're wrong that it "sucks" to have someone tell you how to do your job.  I could be wrong, but I just don't think most people in established bands that write original music look at it that way.

I never said that, either.  I said it would suck to be trying to do your job while two people are telling you how to do it.  Because it does.

This has gone on far too long, and I obviously am the one lacking in communication skills here, since no one seems to understand what I'm saying, no matter how many different ways I phrase it, so I'm out.

I think I've got you O... Let me give it a try.

There's a vid (maybe during the making of BC&SL) where JP and MP have made a contract regarding a certain riff... an actual paper contract that had the chord progression written down I think.  Anyway, MP was arguing for a change after the contract was written and JP says (paraphrasing of course) "Well, might as well rip this up" and proceeds to rip the scrap of paper up and MP wins the argument for that particular riff.

I think the ONE voice, at least at that particular time in DT, was the voice the argued the loudest and finally wore down all the other voices... like a stone being worn away by water.  So perhaps it's likely that the one voice almost always was the loudest voice between MP and JP... maybe that's why two names keep getting thrown at you.

Regarding Skid Row... as much as I love Snake (and I do love him and his style), I personally think they made a mistake with Bach.  I've said it before here I think, in the early 90's, they were something to behold live with Bach in front.  And all that anger, frustration, and personal tension made for some awesome writing.

On track for the thread, I honestly haven't listened to SOA yet.  Wouldn't know where to start actually.  Didn't JSS sing for Journey at one point?

So the question is:  Whose is the one voice that counts? 

Bosk.

;D

Nobody likes a suck a$$   :biggrin:
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2346 on: November 21, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
^Yeah, I think that's a good way to look at it.
On track for the thread, I honestly haven't listened to SOA yet.  Wouldn't know where to start actually.

Um...it's one album.  Start there, maybe?  I don't see the dilemma.  :lol

Didn't JSS sing for Journey at one point?

Yes.  But only on tour.  He never recorded with them.  From everything I've heard, Schon and Cain brought him in and made it sound like he was "the guy," and then unceremoniously dumped him at the end of the tour.  Ultimately, I don't really disagree with the decision not to keep him.  As much as I like him as a singer and person, his voice wasn't right for Journey, and he doesn't have the range to sing an entire set of Journey material night in and night out.  It's more the way it was handled that left a bad taste in people's mouths.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2347 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:07 AM »
On track for the thread, I honestly haven't listened to SOA yet.  Wouldn't know where to start actually. 

Well, usually track 1 of the album is a nice place to start.

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2348 on: November 21, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
Thanks Captains Obvious  :biggrin:  My intention by saying I didn't know where to start was along the line of which track to start with... seems like some of the tracks are divisive.  You guys know what I mean... now a' days we just don't have the time for full albums anymore.  Who starts at track one?  ;)

With regard to JSS and Journey; thanks for the explanation Bosk.  Didn't know that story.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2349 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »
People just don't have the time for albums anymore.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #2350 on: November 21, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
People just don't have the time for albums anymore.

Why don't people have time for albums anymore? Did something change in the space time continuum that I don't know about? I'm sure everyone has their down time when they could just listen to a measly album. Or are people just bored of listening to albums as a whole?  That I would probably believe more than OMG we have no TIME!!!!! We are all running out of TIME!!!!! The horror!!! Lol sorry I'm being silly  :P

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2351 on: November 21, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
^Yeah, I think that's a good way to look at it.

Um...it's one album.  Start there, maybe?  I don't see the dilemma.  :lol

Didn't JSS sing for Journey at one point?

Yes.  But only on tour.  He never recorded with them.  From everything I've heard, Schon and Cain brought him in and made it sound like he was "the guy," and then unceremoniously dumped him at the end of the tour.  Ultimately, I don't really disagree with the decision not to keep him.  As much as I like him as a singer and person, his voice wasn't right for Journey, and he doesn't have the range to sing an entire set of Journey material night in and night out.  It's more the way it was handled that left a bad taste in people's mouths.
I didn't like the way they handled the Steve Perry thing in the late nineties. They were about to tour the Trial By Fire album and Steve Perry was injured while hiking in Hawaii. The band pretty much said they couldn't wait for him and went on without him. 
However, I thought Steve Augeri was a good fit in journey, probably more so than Arnel Pineda.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Thanks Captains Obvious  :biggrin:  My intention by saying I didn't know where to start was along the line of which track to start with... seems like some of the tracks are divisive.  You guys know what I mean... now a' days we just don't have the time for full albums anymore.  Who starts at track one?  ;)

With regard to JSS and Journey; thanks for the explanation Bosk.  Didn't know that story.

Track 3, 3.33 - 4.01
Track 5, 4.11 - 4.34
Track 4, 2.13 - 2.48
Track 3, 2.56 - 3.28
Track 6, 1.13 - 2.03

Should give you a good indication of where this album is heading 😉

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2353 on: November 21, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
It doesn't necessarily have to be "one."  That isn't the point. 

Yes, it is.  I was speaking in general terms, about trying to do your job while two guys are telling you what to do, and someone said that there's only one voice that counts.  So I asked who that one person would be.  I got lots of answers, but no one actually answered the question I asked.  So I restated it, and still no one answered it.  Look, I wouldn't even give a shit, but I made what I thought was a general statement, and someone started talking about Dave and Brian and Marty or whoever, and how there's only one voice that counts.  I would just like to know who that one person is.  That is the point I was making.

If you're splitting hairs on the "one", well, that's my fault.  I don't know that it has to be ONE and only ONE.   It can be two.  My point is, it's not an equal democracy, and the vocalist has final say on all things vocal, and the bass player has final say on all things bass, etc.  The real leader may also defer certain things to another (this is how Maiden works; it's all Steve, unless it's Bruce, but at the end of the day, it's Steve.   There are two Maiden albums after Bruce first joined without Bruce, there are NO Maiden albums without Steve.  You can do the math.)   

In Dream Theater, I think it's now John, I think back before 2010, it was Mike and John on musical matters, Mike on everything else.  I think it says in Lifting Shadows that if there was a time that Mike and John disagreed

And I think you're wrong that it "sucks" to have someone tell you how to do your job.  I could be wrong, but I just don't think most people in established bands that write original music look at it that way.

I never said that, either.  I said it would suck to be trying to do your job while two people are telling you how to do it.  Because it does.

This has gone on far too long, and I obviously am the one lacking in communication skills here, since no one seems to understand what I'm saying, no matter how many different ways I phrase it, so I'm out.

I think that's down to the person.   Dave Murray, Bill Wyman, Adam Clayton, Alex Van Halen, Mike Anthony, Brad Whitford... none seem to have much problem being told what to play.   I know when I was in my band in Philly, I played what I was told.  I was sometimes asked what I would do - and I would tell them - but if another idea won, I played it.  Boom.   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:06:55 AM by Stadler »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2354 on: November 21, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
now a' days we just don't have the time for full albums anymore.
Nonsense.

Exhibit A: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=51115.0

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: November 21, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »

Just listen to the album in order, the first track is probably one od the best in the album so it should help you get through it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: November 21, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
I finally got around to listening to this album today.  I had it in the car so got a pretty good earful.  I might have been one of the blandest, uninspiring, generic prog metal releases I've heard in a long time.  I have no desire to listen to it again. 

The songs lack good songwriting and all the riffs on offer are pedestrian and unimaginative.  JSS does great to be honest, but the melodies just don't do him any favours.  I thought Alive was the most natural and ebtertaining piece that didn't feel forced liked all the others. 

The structures are disjointed and a lot of the album feels like just pieces put together and lacks flow.  Ron is the shining light here and if anything makes me realise how good of a guitarist he is, and probably should check some of his work out. 

MP's backsup though make me cringe to be honest.  And I don't know why all the heavy instrumental sections he's trying to make sound like This Dying Soul.  To me anyway.  Disappointing and MP and Derek really should stop shooting their mouths off, because they certainly don't back it up here.

I agree with pretty much all that wolf.

So do I.

That's good boys.  I did try and go in with no pre judgement and have an open mind which I'm confident in that I did.  Disappointing album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: November 21, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Loved the album and can't stop spinning it. To each their own

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »

I'm glad people like it.  It would be a waste of the talent involved for it to be a flop according to everyone.

Also, WTF is that Figaro's Whore, what the hell is Derek thinking there?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2359 on: November 21, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »

Also, WTF is that Figaro's Whore, what the hell is Derek thinking there?

*I wish I had an app or something*
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2360 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

Fanboys gonna fanboy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2361 on: November 21, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
Oh, please!  You are the LAST person to be throwing the "fanboy" tag around!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2362 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
For those that do care, Sons of Apollo does have a show booked.  It's the Rambling Man Fair in England in June 2018.  I believe Dream Theater played this festival back in 2015 for their 30th anniversary tour.  I presume SOA may do some other festivals around Europe that period since every band that's active does the same.  A headliner has yet to be announced, but Halestorm, a band that's been on the rise, is main support.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2363 on: November 21, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Ramblin Man? What an odd choice of audience for their music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2364 on: November 21, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #2365 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Are we sure it's the same band? I know multiple bands have that name. I assume it's them, but man.....odd choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
I was thinking southern rock style kind of music and then Sons of Apollo. Seems out of place.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2367 on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Yeah, look at the logo.  It's definitely them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
Weird mix.  I'd love to see the response from that crowd.

Online Adami

« Reply #2369 on: November 21, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
"Look Skeeter, that there homeless looking fella can sure play the geetar!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2370 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
As they say in the biz, a gig's a gig.  These new acts have to start somewhere, right?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2371 on: November 21, 2017, 10:11:59 PM »
As I stated, Dream Theater has played this festival before back in 2015 and there has been a few bands with "prog" tendencies that had played it before.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: November 22, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »
"Look Skeeter, that there homeless looking fella can sure play the geetar!"

:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2373 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:09 AM »
As I stated, Dream Theater has played this festival before back in 2015 and there has been a few bands with "prog" tendencies that had played it before.

I think Devin Townsend played there this year. It's a mixed bag I think.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2374 on: November 22, 2017, 03:31:34 AM »
Some more Sherinianisms:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2375 on: November 22, 2017, 04:15:29 AM »
Wow. The official account that asks to actively gang up against a respectful commenter is absolutely cringeworthy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: November 22, 2017, 04:25:08 AM »
Andres is being way too kind.

Fuck the band for asking people to blast him, that's poor form.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: November 22, 2017, 04:29:06 AM »
Sherinian will be featuring in my end of year awards but it won't be for best album  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2378 on: November 22, 2017, 04:58:55 AM »
Lol...  :o

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2379 on: November 22, 2017, 05:23:04 AM »
More Adrenaline Mob than Adrenaline Mob