Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468030 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2240 on: November 14, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
Oh THAT’S what happened.
I’m sitting here reading and next thing I know, it’s 20 pages ago lol

Haha same here. I was all "I'm pushing new, yet went back to previous convos."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2241 on: November 14, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
I'm not going to rip it apart.  I will say that I don't think this has anything to do with DT - it seems to be a general thing.  I was lucky enough to see Dio a few times, and each time it was a "normal" concert experience.  A bit of a pit broke out at one show, but that happened at a DT GA show too.  It just seems crazy to me that the Dio shows I saw wouldn't be considered a "rock concert" even though there was no lawlessness, no chairs being thrown, no one taking off their bra.  I suppose I can get saying "shows just aren't like the used to be."  If that's how they used to be - I guess I'm glad.  :)  Maybe that makes me a music nerd even though I don't actually play an instrument, but I just want to go to the show to experience live music - the music itself - and the feelings that go along with it - adrenaline rush/euphoria/etc.

It's not JUST lawlessness though, and truth be told, we'd get on grandly at a show.  I'm not looking for drunken naked women, or to being hit by a chair.   But there was a sort of sense of...  "I can't get this from my living room".   Or "this is a little different than the typical night out with the guys".

So, you don't want to be hit by a chair, but you want to think that you *could* be hit by a chair?  ;)  Just kidding - will you be at any of the shows for I&W? 

For my experience - I *can't* get it from my living room - if I could, I wouldn't see as many shows as I do.  I enjoy watching a concert dvd every so often, but it's not at all the same thing as seeing the show live.

I think I <sort of> get what you're trying to say, and for me it just doesn't work the same way.  To merge this with El Barto:

And there are things from shows back then that I don't miss either. Being bludgeoned by a wall of 130dB un-EQed noise probably tops the list. What he described, and I certainly miss as well, contributed to a more festive atmosphere, though. That's what some of us pine for. It's not the debauchery per se, though I'm obviously a big, big fan, but the feeling that it was an event. It was something we all had in common and we all celebrated. Even if you're interest, for some strange reason, didn't include getting high in the parking lot and ogling slutty girls in fishnet stockings, you still wanted to be a part of the going's on in your own way. It was a sort of camaraderie. Nowadays it seems people just go to see a band perform their favorite song, or see some hoser sing a F#, and the atmosphere reflects that.

It's not one or the other, I don't think.  Or, not for me. Maybe so for some people.  But for me, I can both want to hear James nail the F# and also feel a sense of camaraderie.  I can want to watch the band do what they do so well, and also feel part of something with the other people who are there.  I do it in my own way though, and perhaps you'd find that sterile.  I like to talk to people before and after the show - people I know, people I don't know, about their experiences with DT, other bands they like, how far back they go, how they're wrong about not liking Voices and Scarred ;), whatever.  There's a sense of having something in common for sure.  During the show, I do watch it.  But I don't sit there with my hands folded on my lap with a scorecard ticking off how many mistakes they make.  It's a dynamic evening.  I might sing along a bit, I might cheer.  I might chant.  I might laugh in amazement at something MM does.  I get chills.  I smile, I might even shed a tear every so often.  I don't leave my spot (where I'm hopefully standing, TA aside) to get a drink, I don't chat it up with the person next to me, and maybe from a distance that would seem like I'm coldly standing there hoping that everything will be perfect and I'm ready to throw tomatoes if the F# is missed, but nothing could be further from the truth.  I'm feeling emotions, and feeling alive.

Quote from: back to Stadler
I'm trying not to use the word "corporate" - especially after the only two photos of me here on this site are of me in a blue collared shirt at the Shattered Fortress show and the Maiden show (it's my lucky shirt!) - but that's as close as I can get.   Put another way, shows today seem more scripted and choreographed, and that includes the lead up to the show and the parts around the show.   We parked where we could.  There would always be some dude with a cooler selling luke warm beers in the stairwell to New Haven Coliseum.   The only "security" was a pimply dude taking your ticket (who knew not to rip it like it was toilet paper, but FOLLOW THE CREASE!) and a heavy chick with zero makeup that didn't let you on the floor unless you had a floor ticket (you had the run of the building back then, but the floor was hallowed, sacred ground).   T-shirts were cash only - and it was just that: t0shirts, programs, pins and bandannas, no exceptions, and there weren't 15 people standing there debating if they were getting the hoodie or the beer couzy along with their t-shirt and autographed condom packs.  I don't remember there being food at the Coliseum, though there was at the Hartford Civic Center (and the added bonus of, I kid you not, a line in one of the men's rooms where a local stripper/prostitute set up shop in one of the stalls).    There were no reserved seats, no catered seats, no VIP anything (except, again, the strip bar that was across the highway in Hartford, and named "VIP") and no wristbands.  You could, if you wanted, go on the floor, and collect tickets then go up to your buddies in the 200's and give them the tickets and all of you would march right back down to the floor, except we didn't do that because it wasn't cool to the people that were already there.    There were no computer lights; you'd know the show was about to start when the guys (anywhere from 2 to 4, usually) would climb up the rope ladders to man the spotlights in the lighting rig.   

I'm like King; I go to as many smaller club shows as I can, because you still get this vibe in some places.  Gene Simmons at the Trocadero was like that.  I waltzed right up to the stage, just about, and next thing you know, I'm ON stage, singing "I Love It Loud" right next to my childhood hero.    :metal :metal
I love going to smaller club shows as well (and have been to the Trocadero).  Would never dream of getting on stage, because that's probably more of a nightmare for me.  I'll leave that to the band, thanks. :)  Smaller club shows, general admission, do have a different vibe than a theater show, but not always *so* different.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2242 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »
All I know is, if I ever meet Stadler, I'm bringing a folding chair to the party.  I hear he likes that.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2243 on: November 14, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »
Oh THAT’S what happened.
I’m sitting here reading and next thing I know, it’s 20 pages ago lol

I was confused too. I thought some major news broke or DS tweeted something. :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2244 on: November 14, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »
Wait, so did we lose the poll about people's favorite songs?  I was curious to know how big of a share Figaro's Whore ended up getting. It seemed like it was running neck and neck with Divine Addiction (my choice) and God of the Sun.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2245 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:35 AM »
On the subject of venues making atmosphere, I've seen DT at the following venues, all of which had a fantastic atmosphere and were some of the best nights of my life:

Nottingham Rock City
London Astoria (RIP)
Kentish Town Forum
Leeds O2 Academy
Sheffield City Hall
Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Le Zenith, Paris

And I've seen them at the following venues, which had absolutely no atmosphere at all and were quite horrible experiences:

Hammersmith Apollo
Wembley Arena
London Palladium

So yes, smaller, standing venues, please. If the band must play larger capacity venues for logistical reasons, please, please, please play venues with a standing floor and seated tiers! All-seater aircraft hangers are just horrible. If I wanted that kind of experience I'd go see Barry Manilow or someone.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2246 on: November 15, 2017, 04:32:06 AM »
Wait, so did we lose the poll about people's favorite songs?  I was curious to know how big of a share Figaro's Whore ended up getting. It seemed like it was running neck and neck with Divine Addiction (my choice) and God of the Sun.

Well, they were all anyway troll votes to say "I don't like / don't care for this album"...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:14 AM »
I watched that interview with Mike and Derek (yesterday, the link was just a page back, I swear to god), and when Derek was putting down "screeching" vocals, I couldn't help but wish the interviewer would say, "Yeah, I know what you mean, like Halford, Dickinson, Mercury, Perry, and Plant?!"

:lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2248 on: November 15, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »

???  Um...it's this thread now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2249 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:04 AM »

???  Um...it's this thread now.

But where's the poll? The poll here just has ratings from 1-10, not the voting on songs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2250 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »
Same for me, I don't see the options anymore, only the results.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2251 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
The poll is for the rating of the album apparently.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2252 on: November 15, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
I just had a thought.

Mike Portnoy thought and intended for SoA to really be prog metal. But things went in a different direction during the writing. It became more of a hard rock direction.

Portnoy is the one who brought in JSS. JSS said in an interview that he came into the project expecting that it would be prog metal, but it did not turn out that way.

Derek is the one who seems to be very proud of this record as hard rock, with them having legit rock and roll cred. He takes pride that there is no so-called screeching vocals which he associates with prog in this record, highlighting that this is really straight-up rock.

Derek made most of the vocal directions for the songs. He had disagreements with JSS.

Derek is the only one who had compositions (two) outside the core group.

Derek is the most aggressive in the web. His online behavior can not seem to be checked, starting from the video leak of Ron Thal.

What all this points to? Derek is the king Son of Apollo. Not Mike Portnoy. SoA is Derek's band.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:01:34 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2253 on: November 15, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »
What all this points to? Derek is the king Son of Apollo. Not Mike Portnoy. SoA is Derek's band.
Yeah, he's the captain who goes down with the ship while everyone else abandons it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2254 on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »

Well, they were all anyway troll votes to say "I don't like / don't care for this album"...

Yeah I thought that was hilarious though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2255 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
I just had a thought.

Mike Portnoy thought and intended for SoA to really be prog metal. But things went in a different direction during the writing. It became more of a hard rock direction.

Portnoy is the one who brought in JSS. JSS said in an interview that he came into the project expecting that it would be prog metal, but it did not turn out that way.

Derek is the one who seems to be very proud of this record as hard, with them having legit rock and roll cred. He takes pride that there is no so-called screeching vocals in this record, which to him highlights that this is really rock.

Derek made most of the vocal directions for the songs. He had disagreements with JSS.

Derek is the only one who had compositions (two) outside the core group.

Derek is the most aggressive in the web. His online behavior can not seem to be checked, starting from the video leak of Ron Thal.

This all makes perfect sense.  I think many, if not most, of us assumed that it was "Mike's band" or at the very least a band the Mike and Derek were co-leading.  But I don't see any flaw in this line of reasoning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2256 on: November 15, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  AC/DC was Malcolm's band, full stop, and yet Angus and Brian were the faces of the band.   Maiden is Steve's band, full stop, but he has, over the years, given Bruce his head to a pretty fair degree.  Kiss is celebrated as a democracy, at least now of two, and Gene is the "Derek" of Kiss, but Paul ("Mike") is the ultimate arbiter.   

But, not to rip old scabs, this is another flaw in the "87 bands" theory.   When you convene for a week or two to write, then convene a month later to record your parts (remember, Mike alluded to the fact that he wasn't around when Jeff recorded his parts under Derek's direction), then convene to do a series of dates, you don't get the organic nature of a band.  You don't get the give and take.  Even Bruce said, in his book, that even though they do other things, Maiden is a full-time gig, and never really stops, it just has it's relative lulls.  Then again, everyone's creative spark is different, and who am I to say?   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2257 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »
I love DT, and I love DT's live shows. But they definitely do not have anywhere close to the energy/rock-show-vibe that bands like Metallica, Maiden, etc. have. Muse are one of the best in that regard too. I understand the point about intimacy and venue size, but those bands sell out stadiums and still put on a hugely energetic show.
I disagree here, but I get that it's just different perspectives.  Maiden does indeed put on a very energetic show.  I just haven't felt that the energy of the crowd is very high, or all that different from a DT show.  I might not be explaining myself well; to me it just doesn't feel like "Maiden - rock show, high energy" and "DT - boring, the crowd is dead, etc."  The vibe of the crowd (to me) is usually pretty intense at a DT show.  I'm not at all criticizing Maiden.
To clarify, I'm not saying that DT shows are boring or that the crowd is dead. I'm sure with all bands it depends on the place. The DT shows I've been to, the crowd has been great. But there's a tangible difference. As a *complete generalisation*, at DT shows people are there (myself included) to pay attention to the music and the performance, whereas at Maiden/Metallica shows people are there to have a blast. Obviously that's entirely over-stating it, but that's the thrust of my experience in London and sometimes other parts of the UK.

I think you're right - it does depend on the place. I was comparing the DT and Maiden shows I've been to in North America.  I don't know what a Maiden show in the UK is like, but I assume it's way different than the DT shows I saw. The NA crowds for the Astonishing tour were more energetic than the UK crowds for I&W. It probably does vary a lot from location to location and venue to venue.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2258 on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
Even Bruce said, in his book, that even though they do other things, Maiden is a full-time gig, and never really stops, it just has it's relative lulls.

I would have thought in recent years they had earned the luxury to have big lulls of doing nothing. Writing of albums every 4-5 years in winter, spring rehersals, tour during late spring / summer, and then everyone free to do whatever they want, including 2 months vacations if they will. But probably there's a lot of behind the scene stuff that falls back on the band members too and not just on Rod Smallwood's table.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2259 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
I love DT, and I love DT's live shows. But they definitely do not have anywhere close to the energy/rock-show-vibe that bands like Metallica, Maiden, etc. have. Muse are one of the best in that regard too. I understand the point about intimacy and venue size, but those bands sell out stadiums and still put on a hugely energetic show.
I disagree here, but I get that it's just different perspectives.  Maiden does indeed put on a very energetic show.  I just haven't felt that the energy of the crowd is very high, or all that different from a DT show.  I might not be explaining myself well; to me it just doesn't feel like "Maiden - rock show, high energy" and "DT - boring, the crowd is dead, etc."  The vibe of the crowd (to me) is usually pretty intense at a DT show.  I'm not at all criticizing Maiden.
To clarify, I'm not saying that DT shows are boring or that the crowd is dead. I'm sure with all bands it depends on the place. The DT shows I've been to, the crowd has been great. But there's a tangible difference. As a *complete generalisation*, at DT shows people are there (myself included) to pay attention to the music and the performance, whereas at Maiden/Metallica shows people are there to have a blast. Obviously that's entirely over-stating it, but that's the thrust of my experience in London and sometimes other parts of the UK.

I think you're right - it does depend on the place. I was comparing the DT and Maiden shows I've been to in North America.  I don't know what a Maiden show in the UK is like, but I assume it's way different than the DT shows I saw. The NA crowds for the Astonishing tour were more energetic than the UK crowds for I&W. It probably does vary a lot from location to location and venue to venue.

UK metal crowds are shit. Source: live in UK

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2260 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »
Re. SoA being Derek's band:

I listened to parts of it again yesterday, and my general criticism of the album reflects it being Mike's project. My objection to the album is that it's all pretty derivative. You've got one strong prog epic, a Kansas song, and then a whole bunch of various Portnoy project mashups. I hear plenty of things from both DT and WD in their music, which doesn't relate to DS.

In all fairness, there are parts of it I don't bother listening to because they're shit, so perhaps that's where DS's influence is.

Unrelated, this would have been a far stronger album with Tony Macalpine rather than that Bumbledick fellow. A proper prog bass player would have been a big improvement, as well. Colin Edwin was probably available. Those two changes would have made it a very different, and in my opinion better, project.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2261 on: November 15, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
Re. SoA being Derek's band:

I listened to parts of it again yesterday, and my general criticism of the album reflects it being Mike's project. My objection to the album is that it's all pretty derivative. You've got one strong prog epic, a Kansas song, and then a whole bunch of various Portnoy project mashups. I hear plenty of things from both DT and WD in their music, which doesn't relate to DS.

In all fairness, there are parts of it I don't bother listening to because they're shit, so perhaps that's where DS's influence is.

Unrelated, this would have been a far stronger album with Tony Macalpine rather than that Bumbledick fellow. A proper prog bass player would have been a big improvement, as well. Colin Edwin was probably available. Those two changes would have made it a very different, and in my opinion better, project.

I had similar thoughts about MacAlpine. Although I will have to admit that I think Bumblefoot's playing is excellent on the album.

In all honesty, I thought it would be the PSMS lineup plus a singer. Derek has history with MacAlpine in Planet X, MP has history with Sheehan in Winery Dogs, Derek and MP have history with DT. Plus they did a tour. I'm not disappointed, but I wonder why they went with Bumblefoot instead of MacAlpine. Was MacAlpine's health a factor?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2262 on: November 15, 2017, 07:02:20 PM »
I did ask Derek if he invited Tony...the response is in this interview: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/derek-sherinian-keyboadist-of-sons-of-apollo-interview

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2263 on: November 15, 2017, 07:59:03 PM »
Derek: We went straight with Bumblefoot, we wanted to make this into something much more rock than PSMS. Tony was perfect for the instrumental fusion thing, Bumblefoot with his rock background is more suited for Sons of Apollo.
This says a lot, and does make it sound like somewhere along the road it switched from being MP's prog-metal band to MP&DS's metal band.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2264 on: November 15, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Tweets and bullshit aside, I kind of lost interest in SOA as soon as I heard Derek was involved. I didn't think he was good enough/the right fit for DT in the first place. And now finally MP puts together what is supposed to be a DT style band, and he brings Derek in??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2265 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Mike did not stand up for James while he was in the band so I do not expect him to stand up for him now...

Exactly, MP's not going to stand up for an ex-band mate that he didn't stand up for when they were band mates.

What's the story on this?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2266 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:51 PM »
Found this tweet from MP. Apparently he and silent Derek wanted to strike back.

All you Dream Theater fan motherfuckers are gonna pay. You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna fuck your mothers while you watch and cry like little, whiny bitches. Once we get to New York and find those Dream Theater fucks who is makin' the album... we're gonna make them eat our shit, then shit out our shit, and then eat their shit that's made up of our shit that we made 'em eat. Then you're all you motherfucks are next. Love- Mike and Silent Derek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2267 on: November 15, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2268 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »
Found this tweet from MP. Apparently he and silent Derek wanted to strike back.

All you Dream Theater fan motherfuckers are gonna pay. You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna fuck your mothers while you watch and cry like little, whiny bitches. Once we get to New York and find those Dream Theater fucks who is makin' the album... we're gonna make them eat our shit, then shit out our shit, and then eat their shit that's made up of our shit that we made 'em eat. Then you're all you motherfucks are next. Love- Mike and Silent Derek.

Oh

My

God

:heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2269 on: November 16, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
#fanger

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2270 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
French speakers, here is Sons of Apollo France, unofficial fan club.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969168783361797/
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2271 on: November 16, 2017, 05:59:52 AM »
With a whopping 4 members. What's the point of these "fan clubs" anyway, especially in this day and age? What will their activity consist of? SoA has a measly 34k likes on Facebook, but already a gazillion of these "unofficial fan clubs." Does Derek set them up to fuel his delusion of grandeur?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2272 on: November 16, 2017, 06:09:26 AM »
With a whopping 4 members. What's the point of these "fan clubs" anyway, especially in this day and age? What will their activity consist of? SoA has a measly 34k likes on Facebook, but already a gazillion of these "unofficial fan clubs." Does Derek set them up to fuel his delusion of grandeur?

Yes. And he mispells Indonesia and waits for Portnoy to point it out to him...on Facebook.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2273 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »
It's a bit silly to criticise a group for only having 4 members when it's only just been set up. However, having different groups for different countries seems like a really bad idea - isn't it better to have a big global fan group in which they could get lots of activity and discussion and banter or whatever. Even after these groups pick up somewhat (even if they do quite well, which I'm not sure they will), it'll still all be spread across different groups, which probably means each of them not being very active.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2274 on: November 16, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »
It's a bit silly to criticise a group for only having 4 members when it's only just been set up.
That wasn't the point though. The point was that the entire thing is useless. I'm not criticizing the group, I'm criticizing the entire phenomenon. All of these groups have very few members/likes (usually a couple of dozen), none of them will amount to anything, ever, and, like you said, it's a bad idea to fracture the "community" to begin with. They even have a collective page for Latin America, besides having separate pages for Latin American countries. :lol Whatever floats their boat, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:56:53 AM by Sycsa »