Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468162 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2170 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
I think Stadler's advice on these matters is the way to go (and the way I always try to go).  If someone is doing/saying/tweeting the things that DS, or for another example, the tweeter in chief, does/says/tweets, there's no need to resort to name calling. They're sadly giving you plenty of legitimate things to take them to task for.

(And I don't know what the language rules here are, but if you ask me, that particular word shouldn't be used when referring to anyone - member or ex-member of DT or not).

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2171 on: November 13, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »
In other news, I've managed to fall out with the band on Twitter since I expressed my disappointment over the dynamic range, despite trying to be really rather polite about it. Nice to know Jay Ruston and Jeff Scott Soto think my stereo is rubbish, though :lol

JSS said something to you?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »
To be fair to him, he liked responses from Sherinian and Ruston that were aimed at me rather than responding to me directly.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2173 on: November 13, 2017, 09:29:07 AM »
When the SOA album/band was first announced I was pretty pumped. Then, the BS with MP and DS started. I still have not purchased or listened to the album and will not. I'm not even that much into DT anymore, but SOA don't deserve my money.
I used to admire MP for his sobriety, work ethic, etc.. but it seems he'll never learn. He gets what he gets.

Their obsession with mentioning Dream Theater/The Astonishing at every opportunity is beyond pathetic at this stage.

Of note there is that a fan wanted to talk about Sons of Apollo, and wrote enthusiastically about the idea of the band making a concept album. Engage with that? Keep it on the topic of Sons of Apollo? Keep it positive and encourage the discussion of their new band? Nope. Make it all about Dream Theater instead.

MP, remind us please why you shut down your Forum. I seem to remember you were annoyed at all Sons of Apollo conversation eventually veering into mentions of Dream Theater. Didn't you instruct your moderators to ban anyone who brought up "that other band" during discussions of your new one?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2174 on: November 13, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
@nobloodyname

Well, I think there's nothing wrong with what Jay said:

"Maybe it’s your stereo. This record is at least 2-3 dB quieter than most commercial releases these days."

Or what Derek said:

"I am sorry you are not enjoying it loud, I crank it daily in my car and think it sounds amazing...this is a first to hear for me."

The only thing I found about their tweets is they sort of contradict each other. DS sort of confirmed with his tweet that it is loud.  :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2175 on: November 13, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
@nobloodyname

"Maybe it’s your stereo. This record is at least 2-3 dB quieter than most commercial releases these days."

Or what Derek said:

"I am sorry you are not enjoying it loud, I crank it daily in my car and think it sounds amazing...this is a first to hear for me."

The only thing I found about their tweets is they sort of contradict each other. DS sort of confirmed with his tweet that it is loud.  :lol

Yeah, those responses don't sound too bad.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2176 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »
Derek drives around listening to his own album every day?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2177 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
Their obsession with mentioning Dream Theater/The Astonishing at every opportunity is beyond pathetic at this stage.

Of note there is that a fan wanted to talk about Sons of Apollo, and wrote enthusiastically about the idea of the band making a concept album. Engage with that? Keep it on the topic of Sons of Apollo? Keep it positive and encourage the discussion of their new band? Nope. Make it all about Dream Theater instead.

MP, remind us please why you shut down your Forum. I seem to remember you were annoyed at all Sons of Apollo conversation eventually veering into mentions of Dream Theater. Didn't you instruct your moderators to ban anyone who brought up "that other band" during discussions of your new one?

I think they both feel very hurt that DT doesn't want them in their band any longer.
It reminds me of that Frasier episode where Lilith and her new man rents the bungalo next to Frasier and his new woman and he continues to feel threatened including jumping up and down and bed making "love" noises by himself to make Lilith jealous.

Ok that was a strange analogy.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »
@nobloodyname

Or what Derek said:

Nah, they're not contradictory.

It's the tone of the exchange rather than those specific tweets. Aside from that, the wave form IS clipped in places and yes, you can hear it on a decent set-up and cranked loud.

Although, it is, of course, my implied poor set-up that's the issue.

To state the bleeding obvious, just because it's 2-3 dB quieter than anything else doesn't make it any good sonically.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: November 13, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
I think they both feel very hurt that DT doesn't want them in their band any longer.

Any longer? DT hasn't want Derek in their band for 20 years.  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2180 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
@nobloodyname

Or what Derek said:

I don't see anything wrong with these, if anything they're a lot more respectful than what usually gets discussed in this thread. I do find it a little amusing that DS listens to his own album every day, though. I feel like you'd want to have a little break of the album between now and the tour?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2181 on: November 13, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
@nobloodyname

Or what Derek said:

I don't see anything wrong with these, if anything they're a lot more respectful than what usually gets discussed in this thread. I do find it a little amusing that DS listens to his own album every day, though. I feel like you'd want to have a little break of the album between now and the tour?

Honestly, I don't think he has anything else to do other than listening to the album daily and trolling on social media.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2182 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »
Man, oh man, I can't believe the amount of air time some of you guys are giving to something you profess to not like.   Why spend so much time on something that irks you so much? 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2183 on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
Man, oh man, I can't believe the amount of air time some of you guys are giving to something you profess to not like.   Why spend so much time on something that irks you so much?

I would ask Derek that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2184 on: November 13, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Because it's human nature and we're no different from people gossiping about TV celebrities or pop stars.

Imagine a scenario where Lady Gaga continues to tweet stuff like #no-whatever-Madonna-is-doing, don't you think fans of Madonna would debate at length how Lady Gaga has no class and blablabla?  well, same with metalheads and the likes. We've all drank deep at the fountain of feuds between Bruce Dickinson and Maiden when they were apart, Ozzy and Sabbath etc...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2185 on: November 13, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »

Like you are doing by asking that question?

:)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: November 13, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »

I would ask Derek that.

I believe he's already answered that, and I've already covered that ground here.  Not going there again.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: November 13, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »

Like you are doing by asking that question?

:)

Believe me, my one post doesn't hold a candle.   And anyway, aren't I supposed to be the fanboy?   Even I've given it a rest. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2188 on: November 13, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »
Clearly you haven't.

;)

(I'm having fun, Stadler, I hope you know that.)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2189 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »

Terrifying, isn't it

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: November 13, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
Clearly you haven't.

;)

(I'm having fun, Stadler, I hope you know that.)

I do.    :-*

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2191 on: November 13, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »

That's scarring.  I'm uncomfortable.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2193 on: November 13, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
Feel free to tweet about it.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2194 on: November 13, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »
Not that it matters to most here, but Metal Wani posted up an audio interview with Mike 2 days ago. Mike essentially said that he regrets the 'Prog Metal' tag at the start of the sessions. He had fully intended it to be just that, but that during writing things went in a different direction and he didn't want to stop it. He wanted to embrace it and let it flow.

Now back to your regularly scheduled MP/DS negachatter.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2195 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »
I guess now MP not only played in 87 different bands, he started them. I never knew he started Twisted Sister, Fates Warning and Avenged Sevenfold, pretty impressive.

“Launching a new band is never easy (take it from the man who has launched about 87 of them!), but when you have such an incredibly strong launching point as SOA does, the sky's the limit! We look forward to getting this band on the road and playing all over the world throughout 2018...tour dates are coming very soon!"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2196 on: November 13, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
Not that it matters to most here, but Metal Wani posted up an audio interview with Mike 2 days ago. Mike essentially said that he regrets the 'Prog Metal' tag at the start of the sessions. He had fully intended it to be just that, but that during writing things went in a different direction and he didn't want to stop it. He wanted to embrace it and let it flow.

And there's nothing wrong with that. But then why insisting on all the comparisons with DT and how this album would challenge them?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
I've tried off and on listening to this debut Apollo album.  So far, only 'Gladiator' is reaching me.  A little different than I was expecting ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OvED8hYnZg
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2198 on: November 13, 2017, 03:44:22 PM »

Now back to your regularly scheduled MP/DS negachatter.

What throne is he reclaiming then?

Mike: The second song is Coming Home, which will debut on Friday… [interview was done a few weeks back]

Derek: …and unofficially, the “Mike Portnoy theme song”…

Mike: Derek has been quoted saying elsewhere…

Derek: He’s coming home to reclaim the throne of the genre that he created. We wanted the song to lyrically really fit that spirit.

Mike: Third song of the album is Signs of the Time which was the first thing that we put out just for people to get a taste of the band. It’s got a little bit of everything: it’s got the heavy riffs, the hooky chorus, and the shredding solo. That felt like a good first taste to see a little bit of everything which the band has.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: November 13, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
I've tried off and on listening to this debut Apollo album.  So far, only 'Gladiator' is reaching me.  A little different than I was expecting ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OvED8hYnZg

I like this one better  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #2200 on: November 13, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Here is Ron Thal showing why he's the best thing to ever happen to Sons of Apollo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=3000s&v=wK3VvjTZh00 (the SoA content begins around the 50:00 mark). Amazing player and a really nice guy. If only some of the other SoA guys could take a cue from him...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2201 on: November 13, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
Here is Ron Thal showing why he's the best thing to ever happen to Sons of Apollo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=3000s&v=wK3VvjTZh00 (the SoA content begins around the 50:00 mark). Amazing player and a really nice guy. If only some of the other SoA guys could take a cue from him...

Ron is amazing! What a great guitar player :metal

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2202 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
Looking at Ron almost makes me want to forget Derek’s sins and buy the album. Almost.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:00 AM »

Ron is amazing! What a great guitar player :metal

Yea Ron is a savage.

Offline Anxiety35

Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #2204 on: November 14, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »
I still think it's good but I don't know if it will have staying power. And I still think this is a lot of wasted opportunities, some more time spent composing, some more variety and you could have had a great disc.

I'd have to think the second album will be better, especially after the band is road tested.

Agreed. As they gel together and maybe come up with riffs on the road, that could give them some more time to write songs than just pumping them out as fast as they can.