Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468206 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1680 on: October 27, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
I am going to post this on both threads because I forget which one is which, but Jordan "responded" to Derek's comments. This is from Jordan's Facebook page

Christian Francisco what is your take on derrek's youtube statement?
7 hrs

View 1 more reply
Jordan Rudess
Jordan Rudess  :)

I believe his smilie was in reply to my answer to the comment:

They have nothing to gain in responding to his immature social media taunts.
Better to just let him make a fool of himself.

Offline bill1971

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1681 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
The smile could be on response to the first comment:

They have nothing to gain in responding to his immature social media taunts.
Better to just let him make a fool of himself.

Correct, it was.  Swedishgoose from DTF posted the defense and JR liked it.

Where and what was the defense? On Facebook or Youtube?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: October 27, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
Can I get a TLDR on DS's behvariour? What happened there? I tuned out after I heard the first song - not my cup of tea.

99% of the times he was tweeting about the band, he was using hashtag to antagonize and mock DT: #noipads, #nocheesyvocals, #nodroidbullshit etc etc, every post essentially 9 times out of 10 was a stab at DT, his entire hype campaign was based on the concept "We're not doing what those losers in DT are doing".

Or, if you're of a different opinion, just having some fun and poking fun at his old band and the inevitable comparisons between the two. 

He never once called them "losers" or anything like that, and he at one point acknowledged that it was all a joke and poking fun.   

Where did he do that?

Not sure, but I'm also not sure it matters.

I didn't mention this earlier in the week, because there was enough discussion about Sherinian's antics, but the latest issue of Prog magazine has a three-page article about Sons of Apollo with quotes from Portnoy and Sherinian.  I apologize if someone else mentioned it, as it's been a busy week for me.  Anyway, toward the end of the piece, Sherinian starts talking about how he's read a lot of online reaction about DT's The Astonishing and how it's very "Walt Disney."  He then proceeded to invite DT fans who are not happy with the band's direction in recent years to find what they've been missing in Sons of Apollo.  He also said he hopes the arrival of SoA will help inspire DT to make better music going forward.  Those weren't his exact words, I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the story in front of me right now, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:50:42 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1684 on: October 27, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
I didn't mention this earlier in the week, because there was enough discussion about Sherinian's antics, but the latest issue of Prog magazine has a three-page article about Sons of Apollo with quotes from Portnoy and Sherinian.  I apologize if someone else mentioned it, as it's been a busy week for me.  Anyway, toward the end of the piece, Sherinian starts talking about how he's read a lot of online reaction about DT's The Astonishing and how it was very "Walt Disney."  He then proceeded to invite DT fans who are not happy with the band's direction in recent years to find what they've been missing in Sons of Apollo.  He also said he hopes that the arrival of SoA will help inspire DT to make better music going forward.  Those weren't his exact words, I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the story in front of me right now, but you get the idea.

Eh, there are so many things.... I guess I still just don't get it, but whatever. Seems counterproductive for SoA to have MP and DS approaching things like that. All they would have to say is that they understand Mike and Derek have many fans who are DT fans and they hope those folks will check out their new record because they are really proud of it. No need to go out of their way to call things "Disney" or talk about fans that don't like DT's direction or anything.

Offline majo

« Reply #1685 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
I didn't mention this earlier in the week, because there was enough discussion about Sherinian's antics, but the latest issue of Prog magazine has a three-page article about Sons of Apollo with quotes from Portnoy and Sherinian.  I apologize if someone else mentioned it, as it's been a busy week for me.  Anyway, toward the end of the piece, Sherinian starts talking about how he's read a lot of online reaction about DT's The Astonishing and how it was very "Walt Disney."  He then proceeded to invite DT fans who are not happy with the band's direction in recent years to find what they've been missing in Sons of Apollo.  He also said he hopes that the arrival of SoA will help inspire DT to make better music going forward.  Those weren't his exact words, I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the story in front of me right now, but you get the idea.

Eh, there are so many things.... I guess I still just don't get it, but whatever. Seems counterproductive for SoA to have MP and DS approaching things like that. All they would have to say is that they understand Mike and Derek have many fans who are DT fans and they hope those folks will check out their new record because they are really proud of it. No need to go out of their way to call things "Disney" or talk about fans that don't like DT's direction or anything.
He's not being funny, he's not being playful... he's just a douchebag. That's all.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1686 on: October 27, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
And that right there is the pendulum swinging low over this band and the album. They're actively pursuing a 'ballz n chunk' direction in order to snatch up DT fans who don't have an open mind and want to bash things that aren't heavy or prog or whatever their expectations are. It's the drunk loser at the bar desperately trying to go home with one of the remaining women at last call.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »
In the interest of peaceful discussion. Could we please tone down the inflammatory rhetoric and drop the personal attacks?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: October 27, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
Seems counterproductive for SoA to have MP and DS approaching things like that.

To be fair, it was all Derek and Mike didn't say anything negative in this piece, that I recall.  But personally, I also attribute blame to Mike because he has gone out of his way to declare himself SoA's leader who "calls the shots" and is "in control."  If that's the case, then as leader he deserves blame for allowing Sherinian to engage in these anti-DT antics.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1689 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
over here Sons of Apollo entered the rockcharts at 52, while Vuur entered at nr 2.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1690 on: October 27, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »

To be fair, it was all Derek and Mike didn't say anything negative in this piece, that I recall.  But I also blame Mike because he has gone out of his way to declare himself SoA's leader who "calls the shots" and is "in control."  If that's the case, then as leader he deserves blame for allowing Sherinian to engage in these anti-DT antics.   

Right, you circled yourself back around to the point I would have made. If MP is the band leader that he has claimed to be, and he had an issue with any of this, one would assume he'd step in and correct Derek's course.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1691 on: October 27, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
That's the problem. They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast.

They did?  Where did you get that information?

They said they went into the studio for 1 week and wrote everything execpting GOTS in that time. Tha’t way too quick to let the ideas develop naturally imo. But, I guess if it works for them, its fine...

Yes, but the fact that they were only in the studio for a week does not necessarily translate to "They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast."

Sorry for that  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1692 on: October 27, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »
The middle of God of The Sun reminds me of No More Tears with vocals.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1695 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
It just says "Great night with the boys in LA." It doesn't scroll down.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: October 27, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »

You probably need to upgrade from Netscape to Chrome.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1697 on: October 27, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
That's weird. I couldn't see all of that.

What does that mean? He didn't say anything.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1698 on: October 27, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
My verdict is still the same.

My favorites are Gods of The Sun and Labyrinth. I just dont like Derek's lead tone.

Overall an alright album. I wouldn't mind seeing them live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1699 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
It means JR knows that engaging in this shit show is unwise.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1700 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
 :lol Walking TAC through this seems tough.

Pretty much this -

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1701 on: October 27, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
You need to be logged into facebook to see the comments I believe...just in case that's the issue here.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1702 on: October 27, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »
That's weird. I couldn't see all of that.

What does that mean? He didn't say anything.

He just smiles. Which is classy when asked directly about what Derek said.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1703 on: October 27, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
It means Jordan is aware and his response is pure class.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1704 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
:lol Walking TAC through this seems tough.

Pretty much this -

Totally. :lol

OK. I wasn't sure if I actually missed something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: October 27, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »

I do wonder if the DT guys just joke and laugh about this in private.  They are clearly taking the higher road, but when they are together I could imagine them reading the tweets and just laughing.  I know my friends and I do similar when someone we went to high school posts some stupid grade school shit on social media  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1706 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
Totally. :lol

OK. I wasn't sure if I actually missed something.

:lol

Nothing major just confirmation Jordan knows about the stuff DS has been saying and that he's choosing not to comment basically. Smart move.

I do wonder if the DT guys just joke and laugh about this in private.  They are clearly taking the higher road, but when they are together I could imagine them reading the tweets and just laughing.  I know my friends and I do similar when someone we went to high school posts some stupid grade school shit on social media  :lol

I'm not sure if they are doing that, but I'm guessing it's been discussed to some degree. They are all back together on tour now, so they are spending 24/7 with each other again. I'd guess the topic has come up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1707 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
And that right there is the pendulum swinging low over this band and the album. They're actively pursuing a 'ballz n chunk' direction in order to snatch up DT fans who don't have an open mind and want to bash things that aren't heavy or prog or whatever their expectations are. It's the drunk loser at the bar desperately trying to go home with one of the remaining women at last call.

Yeah so? She was cute.  Kind of.   Maybe.    Oh... we're talking about something else, sorry. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1708 on: October 27, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »

I think that's possible.  I'm not even ruling out interaction between the two camps, even.  We know - from the three part interview with Mike posted here a couple weeks ago - that he is in conversation with John fairly regularly, and Rena and their daughter were at the NY Shattered Fortress show. 

I just feel like if it really WAS douchebaggery - or was taken that way by DT - that we would know that for certain at this point. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1709 on: October 27, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »

Yeah so? She was cute.  Kind of.   Maybe.    Oh... we're talking about something else, sorry.

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1710 on: October 27, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »

I think that's possible.  I'm not even ruling out interaction between the two camps, even.  We know - from the three part interview with Mike posted here a couple weeks ago - that he is in conversation with John fairly regularly, and Rena and their daughter were at the NY Shattered Fortress show. 

Did he say that? I missed that part? I remember JP's wife and daughter being at the SF show but I didn't remember him commenting directly about JP.

I just feel like if it really WAS douchebaggery - or was taken that way by DT - that we would know that for certain at this point.

Why?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1711 on: October 27, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »

Well, if it was really douchebaggery, that would be the prime reason to not reply to it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1712 on: October 27, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

To be fair, it was all Derek and Mike didn't say anything negative in this piece, that I recall.  But personally, I also attribute blame to Mike because he has gone out of his way to declare himself SoA's leader who "calls the shots" and is "in control."  If that's the case, then as leader he deserves blame for allowing Sherinian to engage in these anti-DT antics.   

Well, sure.  But a few people in the last few days have been basically saying, "Wait, I can understand being upset at Derek's comments, but that's Derek, not Mike."  But Mike was the one initially taking shots at DT and DT fans, and this forum in particular.  It's just that he got mostly quiet once Derek started in.  If people have an issue with Mike's comments, I don't think it is because of what Derek has been saying--it is because of things Mike has said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1713 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »

Did he say that? I missed that part? I remember JP's wife and daughter being at the SF show but I didn't remember him commenting directly about JP.

Why?

No, he didn't say that.  And, no, I am pretty sure they are NOT "in communication regularly."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1714 on: October 27, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
Plus Mike shut down his forum.