Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468176 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1645 on: October 27, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »
for those complaining about the songs needing more work, Sherinian is already bombarding Bumblefoot with new ideas for the next album. Hopefully they'll get a bit more attention the 2nd time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OkpXqCPH8

That's good, it seems like these guys weren't together enough yet to maximize their potential.  If this has got the blood flowing and ideas are generating then that's great they have that on their minds and already working towards it.  Sure it's early, but I think there's a lot of potential for a strong follow up album once these guys spend significant time together.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1646 on: October 27, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
Can I get a TLDR on DS's behvariour? What happened there? I tuned out after I heard the first song - not my cup of tea.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1647 on: October 27, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
Why not. The album is done, the tour is yet to happen, so if they all get along fine and they're pumped for it what's wrong in thinking ahead? always better to work a lot of time on an album, with ideas coming from different writing sessions, than doing it all in a week.
[/b]

That's the problem. They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast. Now, it's just a week since it's been released and they're already working on the 2nd. A better strategy would've been to actally spend more time working on the 1st one instead of trying to get it right the 2nd time around.

And, btw, judging by the way Mike likes to schedule his bands, after the SoA tour ends, he's probably gonna go back to work/tour with FC, NMB, TA, etc etc. Who knows when the next album for this band will, if ever, be released.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
But maybe if they have material ready for a next album it will push it closer to being worked on over the rest of everyone elses projects?  I still think tour turnout will make the difference in terms of how quickly this band proceeds to the next album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1649 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:14 AM »
Can I get a TLDR on DS's behvariour? What happened there? I tuned out after I heard the first song - not my cup of tea.

99% of the times he was tweeting about the band, he was using hashtag to antagonize and mock DT: #noipads, #nocheesyvocals, #nodroidbullshit etc etc, every post essentially 9 times out of 10 was a stab at DT, his entire hype campaign was based on the concept "We're not doing what those losers in DT are doing".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1650 on: October 27, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
Any info on where (or if) this thing landed on any charts? The album doesn't have its own Wiki page (which is where I usually check such info). Adrenaline Mob's debut reached 70 on the US Billboard chart, and I'm guessing this one will be quite a bit higher, given the players involved.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1651 on: October 27, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
Any info on where (or if) this thing landed on any charts? The album doesn't have its own Wiki page (which is where I usually check such info). Adrenaline Mob's debut reached 70 on the US Billboard chart, and I'm guessing this one will be quite a bit higher, given the players involved.

I see Amazon (US) has Psychotic Symphony at #32 for best sellers in rock, but that's the only metric I can find, no idea about official charts or sales.

What I find more interesting is that Greta Van Fleet is at #25. They must be getting much more popular than I had thought.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: October 27, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »

I've never looked at this stuff until just now but

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

I don't see it listed for the last few weeks.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: October 27, 2017, 07:37:38 AM »
Why not. The album is done, the tour is yet to happen, so if they all get along fine and they're pumped for it what's wrong in thinking ahead? always better to work a lot of time on an album, with ideas coming from different writing sessions, than doing it all in a week.
[/b]

That's the problem. They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast. Now, it's just a week since it's been released and they're already working on the 2nd. A better strategy would've been to actally spend more time working on the 1st one instead of trying to get it right the 2nd time around.

And, btw, judging by the way Mike likes to schedule his bands, after the SoA tour ends, he's probably gonna go back to work/tour with FC, NMB, TA, etc etc. Who knows when the next album for this band will, if ever, be released.

While I'd love for him to go back to work with TA or FC, they've been pretty clear that they want this to be a band and not just a project but as Dave points out, it'll come down to how good they do on sales and tour. And I can see them working on the second album while on tour, making use of all the time they're together. We'll see
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1654 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:23 AM »
[/b]

While I'd love for him to go back to work with TA or FC, they've been pretty clear that they want this to be a band and not just a project but as Dave points out, it'll come down to how good they do on sales and tour. And I can see them working on the second album while on tour, making use of all the time they're together. We'll see

The same thing was said about The Winery Dogs.

Figures. :lol :lol

In all fairness, while Z2 has very few keepers, March of the Poozers is one of them. :metal

March of the Poozers is one of my favorite Dev songs. So silly but my god it rocks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1655 on: October 27, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
That's the problem. They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast.

They did?  Where did you get that information?

Not sure.  But I would imagine that if it had done well, Mike would have wanted people to know and would have put that information out there.  I'm not so sure about it doing better than AM.  Yeah, the players are well known.  But that doesn't necessarily translate into higher sales.  I could be wrong, but I don't think it did better than AM, and here's why:  First, AM, despite the players being less mainstream, got a decent amount of hype and media attention.  I haven't really seen the same level of media attention for Sons of Apollo.  Second, look at the distribution.  Omerta was released on Century Media.  Psychotic Symphony was released on Inside Out.  Century Media definitely has wider distribution.  And this next part is purely anecdotal, but I can tell you that Psychotic Symphony is not being carried in any of the mainstream retailers out here.  There is a local CD/record chain, and each of their stores got 1 copy of the album.  That isn't indicative of a label pushing the album or believing it will have very high sales numbers. 

Ultimately, I have no idea what this sold.  But Omerta only sold around 6,600 copies as a #70 debut.  To take another recent MP project, the Winery Dogs debut album sold 10,200 in its first week as a #27 album (I think it debuted a bit lower and climbed to that in its second or third week, if memory serves).  I can't imagine that Psychotic Symphony will do as well as TWD. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1656 on: October 27, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
This video will enlighten you about poozers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGQjRMXg28

So... a poozer is either a singing scrotum with eyes, or a diaphragm with big square legs.   Makes perfect sense.

(I liked the tune, though.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: October 27, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
I wonder how much DS and MP hindered him. One video he was saying him and DS got into it about the vocals. Although he is not what he was one strength of DT is the uniqueness of Labries vocals. The was JSS sings on this he could be replaced by a dozen similar singers such as Russell Allen.

I agree with this, especially the bolded part, but please, no Russ Allen.

I second this.   Just say no.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: October 27, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »

99% of the times he was tweeting about the band, he was using hashtag to antagonize and mock DT: #noipads, #nocheesyvocals, #nodroidbullshit etc etc, every post essentially 9 times out of 10 was a stab at DT, his entire hype campaign was based on the concept "We're not doing what those losers in DT are doing".

Or, if you're of a different opinion, just having some fun and poking fun at his old band and the inevitable comparisons between the two. 

He never once called them "losers" or anything like that, and he at one point acknowledged that it was all a joke and poking fun.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1659 on: October 27, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
I've never heard anyone in any genre of music that simultaneously had as much diversity and power in their vocals as Russell Allen.  But having said that, I'm still glad they got Soto on this project.  I think he's a great fit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: October 27, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
This video will enlighten you about poozers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGQjRMXg28

So... a poozer is either a singing scrotum with eyes, or a diaphragm with big square legs.   Makes perfect sense.

Sharing the wrong video, the live clip is much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPfrbJKMpg since it has two poozers on stage.  Aren't they like fart bubbles or something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: October 27, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
I've never heard anyone in any genre of music that simultaneously had as much diversity and power in their vocals as Russell Allen.  But having said that, I'm still glad they got Soto on this project.  I think he's a great fit.

I must not have listened to the same stuff, or the right stuff.  I've gotten some Symphony X stuff in roulettes and what not, and I was just never that impressed.   It just sounds so... generic to me.   I'd take James over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I think JSS is a shade generic too (and I've been critical of his singing on this album for being too one note) but I'd prefer him too. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1662 on: October 27, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »

I think Allen is a fantastic vocalist. But I have NEVER connected with him. It's one of the main reasons that Sym X is still at arms length.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1663 on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
I don't know very much about him other than his work with Symphony X, so I may be reading too much into some snippets I've seen from interviews, but it seems like he is kind of disillusioned with Symphony X.  There was an interview not too long ago where he was saying he really wants to put all of his energy into Adrenaline Mob because it is more "pure" and he just gets to be himself, whereas in Symphony X, he was always more or less playing a character in his singing.  I mention that because I think his vocals really suited Symphony X for that reason.  He was able to pull of that big, epic, dramatic vocal and sell it (for those who don't get hung up on epic cheese :symphonyx: ).  But I'm not sure that would have been the right approach for Sons of Apollo.  Yeah, they do tend to a similar direction.  But they don't push it as far as Symphony X.  I think having Russ on vocals would have either consciously or subconsciously pushed them too far in that direction.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1664 on: October 27, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »
That is disturbing, mesmerizing, and rocking, all at the same time.  :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1665 on: October 27, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »

Or, if you're of a different opinion, just having some fun and poking fun at his old band and the inevitable comparisons between the two. 

He never once called them "losers" or anything like that, and he at one point acknowledged that it was all a joke and poking fun.   

Where did he do that? 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1666 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »

Where did he do that?

Not sure, but I'm also not sure it matters.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1667 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »

Sharing the wrong video, the live clip is much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPfrbJKMpg since it has two poozers on stage.  Aren't they like fart bubbles or something?

I thought they were humans turned into Asses by the War Princess with her Deathray.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1668 on: October 27, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »

Where did he do that?

Yeah.
1.  He didn't (as far as I've seen, anyway).  But:
2.  As you said, it doesn't really matter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: October 27, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
That may be right, I don't know the Z2 story well, I just could of sworn DT called them fart bubbles in that concert.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
A 1/10 rating for me would mean that not only the record leaves me cold but that it actually causes me pain when listening to it, not even St. Anger is that bad.

Even though I've only heard four of the songs so far, I can't see it being a 1/10.

1/10 is saved for the truly awful, like Queensryche albums from the 00s and Kiss records.

Hey, hey!  Easy there!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: October 27, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »

Where did he do that?

Yeah.
1.  He didn't (as far as I've seen, anyway).  But:
2.  As you said, it doesn't really matter.

There was a tweet, I'm guessing about two weeks ago, and it might have been technically from Mike, but it referred to the joking about their former band. 

All water under the bridge when referring to the music, though, I agree.   

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1672 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
The Poozers are ballsack shaped aliens from the planet Titan who invade Earth to steal coffee and turn the humans into more Poozers during the attack. IIRC the name actually came from Dev's son.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1673 on: October 27, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
That's the problem. They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast.

They said they went into the studio for 1 week and wrote everything execpting GOTS in that time. Tha’t way too quick to let the ideas develop naturally imo. But, I guess if it works for them, its fine...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1674 on: October 27, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »
I am going to post this on both threads because I forget which one is which, but Jordan "responded" to Derek's comments. This is from Jordan's Facebook page

Christian Francisco what is your take on derrek's youtube statement?
7 hrs

View 1 more reply
Jordan Rudess
Jordan Rudess  :)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1675 on: October 27, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
I am going to post this on both threads because I forget which one is which, but Jordan "responded" to Derek's comments. This is from Jordan's Facebook page

Christian Francisco what is your take on derrek's youtube statement?
7 hrs

View 1 more reply
Jordan Rudess
Jordan Rudess  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: October 27, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »
I'm not sure what number I would give.  I've listened to it a couple times now, and I like it, but there's something about it.

I don't at all agree with the "stitched together" comments.  I think the songwriting is pretty good, I think the playing is strong. I am a Blackmore maniac, so I love the Deep Purple-ish nature of a lot of the material.

I have a couple recurring problems though:
- the sound; no, not brickwalling, but the same-iness of it all.  It's all midrange.   The guitars are all that 2005-ish Alter Bridge sound (the start of Signs of the Times, the start of Opus Maximus, for two examples) and it blurs with the bass, so that I can only honestly remember one noticeable bass line (in Opus Maximus), which, with Billy Sheehan, is a travesty.  The keys have that rumbly Hammond-y sound for much of it, so it is competing with the guitars and bass, and then you have JSS singing in that mid-rangy gravelly tenor and it's all a big mush.
- JSS.  Look, the dude can sing, no question.   I get it, he's a talent, unadulterated.  But this album needed some contrast, and he was just the guy to give it, and he didn't.    Coming Home is what, 4:22, and there are THREE generic metal screams in that song.   You've got one of the better singers in rock, you've got two guys (at least) that can do backing v's, I would've liked to have heard some more variety in the vocals.   More melody, more contrast from the "rock" of the music.   This was always the magic of Purple (with Gillan) and Rainbow (with all four singers, even Doogie).   That intro, to I think it was Labyrinth, made me cringe. 

I'm parked somewhere around 7.5 at this point.  I'd like to give it at least one more listen, though. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1677 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »
The smile could be on response to the first comment:

They have nothing to gain in responding to his immature social media taunts.
Better to just let him make a fool of himself.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1678 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
The smile could be on response to the first comment:

They have nothing to gain in responding to his immature social media taunts.
Better to just let him make a fool of himself.

Correct, it was.  Swedishgoose from DTF posted the defense and JR liked it.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1679 on: October 27, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »

They said they went into the studio for 1 week and wrote everything execpting GOTS in that time. Tha’t way too quick to let the ideas develop naturally imo. But, I guess if it works for them, its fine...

Yes, but the fact that they were only in the studio for a week does not necessarily translate to "They just rushed to write and record their first album just to put it out fast."