Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468270 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1575 on: October 26, 2017, 07:14:24 AM »
I am slowly starting to accept Labyrinth. The first half is good. The ending of the instrumental is good. I just feel meh for the instrumental sections that keep on repeating patterns (which is basically why I also don't like much of the 12SS songs).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1576 on: October 26, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
My wild guess at a setlist:

God of the Sun
Coming Home
Labyrinth
Figaro's Whore
Divine Addiction
Lines in the Sand
Alive
another cover song
Opus Maximus
Lost in Oblivion
another cover song
Signs of the Times
==========
cover song (famous)
cover song (famous)

Something like that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
Not quite what I was expecting.  Surprised at the mellowness and the spoken lyrics.  Will take a while to get a grip on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_1__V-o12w

(Not quite the original title I was led to believe)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: October 26, 2017, 07:42:39 AM »
I think Derek said in interviews there will be solo spots for everyone so I'm guessing the entire album will be played with solos and maybe a couple covers.  I'm guessing Lines in the Sand and maybe some more Van Halen? 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1579 on: October 26, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/QAA1AE1nigo
I dunno if somebody posted it before, stusio outtakes part 2. Fun to watch, Ron is my hero here definitly  :lol :lol :lol

What a shame about the "Tarkus" thing. It's a lot cooler when played on the piano, too bad DS ended up playing it on the keyboard.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:50 AM »
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but the melody of the choruses for "Coming Home"  and "Alive " are pretty similar. 

"I'm coming hooooooooome.
"
"I am aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive."

I'm enjoying both songs. Just an observation though.

Yea, I noted that when I listened to the samples on Itunes. It's basically identical, especially with MP's response vocals.

It's a shame they overlooked that.  They basically copied themselves in the same album.  I guess that's bound to happen when you crank out albums so fast and don't sit with the tunes for a bit.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1581 on: October 26, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »
Well, to be fair, that kind of echoing chorus is kinda common practice. So it's more like they used twice the same trick, rather than literally not realizing to have composed the "same" chorus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1582 on: October 26, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
Not quite what I was expecting.  Surprised at the mellowness and the spoken lyrics.  Will take a while to get a grip on this

:lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1583 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
^ I don't think the echoing vocal line is the issue as much as the melody being almost exactly the same.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1584 on: October 26, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »

What the.....that crap has over a million views...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1585 on: October 26, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
I still haven't listened to the album.  I feel somewhat badass.......

I probably should though.

Or you can just listen to FII, some of Black Clouds, an album by Rainbow, Deep Purple and Nickleback and be equally satisfied.

I am kidding sort of, it is worth a listen. At least once.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1586 on: October 26, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
I have two polarizing thoughts toward this album as time goes on and I listen to it more. 

The more I listen, the more I am really enjoying the music.  Just because a band includes seasoned members with exceptional chops doesn't necessarily mean that they will write and execute good music together.  For a debut from guys who haven't written and played together before, this is really a superb effort.  Just a really well done effort.  It has all the quirkiness, complexity, and epicness that a prog fan could want.  It has the hooks that a rock fan would want that is sometimes lacking in prog-related projects.  Really nice blend of the two elements.  And I feel like all five members really bring solid performances to this album.  Just well done. 

The fact that the music is so good makes it all the more frustrating that Mike and Derek have conducted themselves so poorly toward the fans and others during this.  They really have a good, solid product.  But it is tainted by all the negativity and unprofessionalism that those two have pushed to the forefront in their public dealings, and that casts a shadow over the whole thing that is hard to shake off.  Really, really stupid move on their part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1587 on: October 26, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »
I don't have a problem with either picture.  They're just typical metal band pics.

That's the problem though; they're typical metal band pics.  I suppose image is everything, but whatever happened to abominations like the cover to Sabotage by Sabbath?  Now THAT'S a metal band picture!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1588 on: October 26, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
If you're not trying to emulate Manowar in all your band pics, you're doing it wrong.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1589 on: October 26, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
If you're not trying to emulate Manowar in all your band pics, you're doing it wrong.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the pics and never have when it comes to these guys.  Generally, as long as a band isn't portraying an image that is itself morally offensive or is so over-the-top ridiculous that it can't be ignored, I don't really see the point of fixating on it.  But whatever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1590 on: October 26, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
I also think that this is a solid album and it's definitly a grower. With every listen I enjoyed it more and more and now I would give a solid 7 instead of 5.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: October 26, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
IMHO, this is the only way 50-60 year old guys should do band pics.

:heart
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1592 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
Yes!

The problem is that no one in DT or SoA are tough guys. They're all just normal dudes. Family men and nerds. When normal dudes try to act tough, it looks weird.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1593 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
I also want to give props to Soto in particular.  He brings a lot of soul and emotion to these tunes, which really brings the songs to life.  Yeah, he may not exhibit the range he did in the '80s (or even on some of his recent solo stuff).  But the songs didn't need that.  His voice fit the songs and took them to a good place.  He was definitely a great choice in the vocal department for this project.

Online Adami

« Reply #1594 on: October 26, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
I also want to give props to Soto in particular.  He brings a lot of soul and emotion to these tunes, which really brings the songs to life.  Yeah, he may not exhibit the range he did in the '80s (or even on some of his recent solo stuff).  But the songs didn't need that.  His voice fit the songs and took them to a good place.  He was definitely a great choice in the vocal department for this project.

I thought Soto mostly did a really good job. I would only have two complaints about his performance. That soft section in the beginning of I think Labyrinth is very very rough, and it always sounds like if he went 3-4 notes higher, his voice would break.

I have issues with the lyrics on most songs, but that's not related to his vocal performance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1595 on: October 26, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
But.. but... you're in a BAND!   Anyone who plays an instrument knows if you punch someone in the face, you don't get to play for a week, at least.  Plus most of these guys are 5'7", 165 pounds soaking wet, and they're not going to be dropping a real hammer on anyone anytime soon.   

Petrucci excepted.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: October 26, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
I really dont understand what some of the photoshoots are really aiming for since they always put the band in some position that isn't natural.  It's not even DT, it's pretty much all of metal music.  Maybe I just don't understand the art of photography enough to get the idea behind some of these shoots.  Just put the band on a stage and take a picture, the bands always look better in their natural environment.

Online Adami

« Reply #1597 on: October 26, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
I remember doing some photoshoots back in the day. We were all trying to look tough and serious. The shoot took like 2 hours cause we couldn't stop laughing at how dumb it all was.

A pic of us laughing would have been better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1598 on: October 26, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
I really dont understand what some of the photoshoots are really aiming for since they always put the band in some position that isn't natural.  It's not even DT, it's pretty much all of metal music.  Maybe I just don't understand the art of photography enough to get the idea behind some of these shoots.  Just put the band on a stage and take a picture, the bands always look better in their natural environment.

I don't get the not smiling for group band pictures either. I can see if you are an MMA fighter or a football team trying to intimidate your opponent. Who is DT trying to intimidate? They release a picture of 5 guys ready to kick ass and then release The Astonishing, which I love but do not equate to kicking ass.

Same with SOA, they try to look tough and then release a song with an Egyptian sounding intro called Gods of the Son.

Then there is Randy Couture who is tougher than the entire Prog world combined and he is smiling

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1599 on: October 26, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
I have often wished that DT would evolve their image further because as you say Adami, we all know these are mellow family dads who just like to play metal. And yes, I too was in a band in the 90s, and boy did we try to create an edgy tough photoshoot, and totally failed. We should indeed just have taken shots where we were cracking up.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1600 on: October 26, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
Oh no.  Last time DTF started talking about DT's image it turned into a bunch of grown men opining about how a bunch of a other grown men should do their hair.  Perhaps we should make a subforum for the Dream Theater Fashionistas. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1601 on: October 26, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »
i would post in that subforum

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1602 on: October 26, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
I like a lot this pic of DT. This to me genuinely represented both them and their style:

Online Adami

« Reply #1603 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
That's definitely better. It still lacks their personality. They're (mostly) goofy funny dudes. I think the metal community should really embrace things like goofiness and being a normal person. No one looks at a band pic and says "damn, these guys look super serious, angry, and rigid.....I am going SO going to love this music."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1604 on: October 26, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure.   I'd think a fair number of people still expect a certain image associated with certain types of music.

Online Adami

« Reply #1605 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure.   I'd think a fair number of people still expect a certain image associated with certain types of music.

We can change the system bro!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1606 on: October 26, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Let's do it!

Online Adami

« Reply #1607 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
Let's do it!

Okay, we're going to start a death metal band and do a photo shoot of us watching TV in our boxers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1608 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
IMHO, this is the only way 50-60 year old guys should do band pics.

:heart
This has got to be the best band photo I've ever seen.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »
That's definitely better. It still lacks their personality. They're (mostly) goofy funny dudes. I think the metal community should really embrace things like goofiness and being a normal person.

Devin Townsend is already doing that  :rollin