Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467581 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1540 on: October 25, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »
Bumblefoot's Coming Home solo: https://www.facebook.com/SonsOfApollo1/videos/229170190950121/

I gotta say, I'm in love with his fretless guitar, it sounds so cool. I never really knew before that fretless electric guitar was a thing, but now I'll totally be on the lookout for it. I think this is the biggest achievement of this album for me.

:metal that's sick, love his playing on this album

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #1541 on: October 25, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
I don't get any Boston from that song.  But it is an intensely fun song for a lot of reasons.
Right around the 3:32 mark. Just for a few seconds. Can you hear it?

The keyboard solo?  I hear Derek noodling away, but I don't hear any reference to a particular band or song.  Not saying it isn't there.  But I'm not making any connection.  Which Boston song?
Yes the keyboard solo. Same riff as the beginning of Foreplay/Longtime. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if DS is a Tom Scholz fan..

Yes, it does actually sounds like the same riff.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1542 on: October 25, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »
Indeed!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1543 on: October 25, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »
MP admits to roiled emotions, but generally handles the relationship with respect and dignity, including reigniting friendships with at least 2 if not 3 of the four remaining members.

:facepalm:

Just when I think you can't top yourself.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1544 on: October 25, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
Hey Mike, if you're reading this I want you to know that I really didn't like the way your blood spilled on my brand new floor. You were right.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1545 on: October 25, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
I liked the two promo tracks.  I thought they were "very good," but perhaps not great.  From what I had read, I assumed there was a SEVERE dropoff from those two tracks.  That, and Mike's and Derek's online behavior, had me expecting this to be a "low 7" or a 6.  After two listens, I give it a solid 8/10 and am pretty happy with it.  Full review here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50945.msg2369087#msg2369087

Overall, this exceeded expectations for me.  It's a shame that Mike and Derek shot themselves in the foot by pissing of a segment of their built-in fanbase who either won't give this a chance or whose opinions will be tainted because of the way those two have acted in the lead-up to the album's release.  Really bad move on their parts.

You know. Maybe they did it on purpose to weed out the haterz and the ones whom won't let the music speak for itself.

I gave it a 5 as I let the music speak. Don't care about twitter or promotional reviews. Them doing the commentary was nice, I just payed attention to the song, plus the Mynotaur part was neat to hear about.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Schurftkut

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1546 on: October 25, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »
https://www.goingofftrack.com/2017/10/25/sons-apollo/ at least this one's a bit different from most interviews

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: October 25, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
Bumblefoot's Coming Home solo: https://www.facebook.com/SonsOfApollo1/videos/229170190950121/

I gotta say, I'm in love with his fretless guitar, it sounds so cool. I never really knew before that fretless electric guitar was a thing, but now I'll totally be on the lookout for it. I think this is the biggest achievement of this album for me.

:metal that's sick, love his playing on this album

That's awesome! I need to check out more of Ron's stuff.

I know Guthrie also plays fretless guitar as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshLWYjMijo

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1548 on: October 25, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »
Oh totally. Like I said, I haven't seen them. I generally don't read reviews anyway. I just hope the reviews from the very very odd places "koreauguitar" or whatever, or sites that looked like they were just made for the reviews, aren't being seen as genuinely reliable reviews.

A lot of more legit looking sites and sites I know give the album solid/good reviews as well.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1549 on: October 25, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1550 on: October 25, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
Don't worry, it's an edited take on the group photo. They just made it look a bit creepier

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1551 on: October 25, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
Yea...I have to say, a bunch of 50-60 year old men looking super tough in a dark room is NOT a good idea.

I mean that picture basically says "Y'all gonna get raped"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: October 25, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but the melody of the choruses for "Coming Home"  and "Alive " are pretty similar. 

"I'm coming hooooooooome."

"I am aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive."

I'm enjoying both songs. Just an observation though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:49:11 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Adami

« Reply #1553 on: October 25, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but the melody of the choruses for "Coming Home"  and "Alive " are pretty similar. 

"I'm coming hooooooooome.
"
"I am aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive."

I'm enjoying both songs. Just an observation though.

Yea, I noted that when I listened to the samples on Itunes. It's basically identical, especially with MP's response vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1554 on: October 25, 2017, 10:03:07 PM »
Yea...I have to say, a bunch of 50-60 year old men looking super tough in a dark room is NOT a good idea.

I've had the same problem with DT promo pics for the past decade or so.
Especially this one. The camo pants, the jacket(s), the chain pants, the background.  :facepalm: When you see this photo, what kind of music do you think they play?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

« Reply #1555 on: October 25, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
Oh yea, that's a creepy pic. I think the SoA pic is a bit worse only because they look like they're in Jigsaw's basement.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1556 on: October 25, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
Both pics do a good job of representing my face when I was listening to Sons of Apollo.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1557 on: October 25, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
I don't have a problem with either picture.  They're just typical metal band pics.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1558 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
https://youtu.be/QAA1AE1nigo
I dunno if somebody posted it before, stusio outtakes part 2. Fun to watch, Ron is my hero here definitly  :lol :lol :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: October 26, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »

Good grief.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1560 on: October 26, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
While listening to PS, I thought about how the band is going to realize this live. My bet is, Figaro will be come a way longer keyboard solo and the drum break in Lost In Oblivion will become a MP drum solo. Any guesses?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1561 on: October 26, 2017, 04:07:57 AM »
After quite a few listens to this album, and being disappointed with it, I wanted to make a better representation of what MP + DS are capable of doing. So, I made a playlist, the lenght of an actual album, with, in my opinion, a better selection of songs from Mike and Derek.

Here is a good representation on what DS and MP can do together when JP is involved

any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1562 on: October 26, 2017, 04:18:45 AM »
While listening to PS, I thought about how the band is going to realize this live. My bet is, Figaro will be come a way longer keyboard solo and the drum break in Lost In Oblivion will become a MP drum solo. Any guesses?

Never thought about Opus Maximus, but yeah, I wanted to suggest too how Figaro's Whore may more than likely become a longer improv piece.

I think they're gonna play the entire album, of course there will also be covers but I don't think any of the 9 songs will remain out of the setlist.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: October 26, 2017, 04:56:23 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they played the entire album. I'm curious as to what else they'll play, maybe they'll have some b-sides.

I will check them out if they come to town.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: October 26, 2017, 05:01:23 AM »
I still haven't listened to the album.  I feel somewhat badass.......

I probably should though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1565 on: October 26, 2017, 05:04:15 AM »
Yeah, you should, it's not perfect but it's quite good and enjoyable.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: October 26, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
Put enough monkeys in a room with a typewriter and they'll eventually write Shakespeare; put 5 monkeys in a room for 2 weeks with some gear and they'll write Psychotic Symphony.

[quote lerxt] Who's going to clean all those typewriters?!
[/quote]

Damn, beat me to it! Lol

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:29 AM »

Especially this one. The camo pants, the jacket(s), the chain pants, the background.  :facepalm: When you see this photo, what kind of music do you think they play?

For me, this one always threw me off simply because it’s awkward. Aside from JMX, none of them seem to know what to do with their hands.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1568 on: October 26, 2017, 06:36:20 AM »
Never thought about Opus Maximus, but yeah, I wanted to suggest too how Figaro's Whore may more than likely become a longer improv piece.

Coming Home would work very well as an extended live piece in my opinion. That slowed down 'Who'-like section at the 2:45 mark has lots of space for improvisation. It actually reminds of the Beyond This Life bassline that Dream Theater used for their Live at Budokan jam, and I wouldn't be surprised to see SoA do something similar with Coming Home.

As for covers, I have a hunch they'll avoid doing songs from their own histories. They want this to be an entirely new thing for them. I think Portnoy's very good at the conceptual side of music and concerts, so perhaps he'll come up with a bunch of covers based around a theme (connected with the band name or something). I dunno. But if they play a DT song, I'll be extremely surprised, I don't think he'll want SoA material alongside DT material. As I said, I'm basing that on nothing other than a hunch.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1569 on: October 26, 2017, 06:40:36 AM »

For me, this one always threw me off simply because it’s awkward. Aside from JMX, none of them seem to know what to do with their hands.

I can't be the only one who originally thought this was a painting, right?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1570 on: October 26, 2017, 06:43:57 AM »
That's their most awkward photo in the post-2010 phase. MM looks completely lost, as if he's trying to say "wait, how do I make a face in a metal band photo shoot?"  :lol

This is one of their better ones, though:

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1571 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »
In my lovingly framed photo with the band on their DT12 tour, only myself and Petrucci are smiling (awkwardly it should be said) while the other 4 look like Monty Burns on a bad day, all moody glowering and sullen misery. Between my unshaven look (9 hour flight earlier that day) and JP's beard we look like a pair of insane survivalists who've taken hostages. Don't get me wrong they were absolutely awesome to meet, but it can't be easy doing that many 'photo shoots' when your mind is on a very complex 3-hour set of music an hour later.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1572 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:46 AM »

I'm not sure what I feel is the most disturbing. Is it JP's intense gaze or Mike subtle smirk?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1573 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
In my lovingly framed photo with the band on their DT12 tour, only myself and Petrucci are smiling (awkwardly it should be said) while the other 4 look like Monty Burns on a bad day, all moody glowering and sullen misery. Between my unshaven look (9 hour flight earlier that day) and JP's beard we look like a pair of insane survivalists who've taken hostages. Don't get me wrong they were absolutely awesome to meet, but it can't be easy doing that many 'photo shoots' when your mind is on a very complex 3-hour set of music an hour later.

Just practice a smile and be done with it, I'd say. I've seen Lzzy Hale doing that, when I was standing in line to get a photo with her, all of a sudden she pulls out this big, wide-teeth smile and that's what she did for me as well. Maybe it's the same one she pulls out for everyone, but who cares? she was kind enough to do it, and I have a nice pic with her smiling.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1574 on: October 26, 2017, 07:04:25 AM »
From interviews it looks like Lines in the Sand is basically a given.

My hunch is another couple of more "obscure" cover songs in the set, and as encore, anthems everyone knows, maybe a Guns n' Roses track and something from Malmsteen, since Bumblefoot and JSS' past.