Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468154 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1435 on: October 23, 2017, 07:39:39 PM »
Yea, I'd oddly enough rank the members of this band as such

1. Bumblefoot
2. Sheehan
3. Sotto
4. Derek
5. MP
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1436 on: October 23, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
I'm not as big on God of the Sun as most seem to be (and yet it is still probably one of the few songs on this I would say is not a throwaway), but when that guitar lead comes in after the intro, that is pretty cool, and then Sherinian almost immediately overtakes it with his synths and puts the kibosh on what could have been an extended cool lead by Stumblebum. Major wasted opportunity, but par for the course given the choppy, cut and paste structure of the song.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1437 on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »

1. Bumblefoot
2. Sheehan
3. Sotto
4. Derek
5. MP
I agree with this ranking.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1438 on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
MP treated the vocals just as he did on SC and BC&SL, secondary.

I remember hearing the instrumental version of BCSL for the first time and it struck me like lightning. That's how the songs had been written, without vocals. They were incredibly round and complete, and to this day, with the exception of TCOT, I enjoy the instrumental version of the album more.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1439 on: October 23, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
I have never listened to the instrumental versions. I have them, but I have never listened to the disc.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1440 on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
I think it's a pretty rocking album.  JSS kills it like always, and musically it has enough to offer for me, especially with some nice heavy guitars.  I love some of these riffs!  I'm not familiar with Billy Sheehan (other than that he was the defacto "hey, we need a guest on That Metal Show) or Bumblefoot, so I can't offer much to say about them.  I do agree that Derek seems to have some random keyboard parts on occasion, but it doesn't really distract me from the songs.

I've only listened to the album once and am on my second way through it, and I'm happy with it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:28:48 PM by Grappler »

Offline majo

Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1441 on: October 23, 2017, 11:50:44 PM »
about 10 listens in... still 6/10 (haven't rated anything from DT after 6DOIT higher than this neither though)
meh, i fail to see any potential for something unique/original/fresh from this band in future.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:33 AM »
about 10 listens in... still 6/10 (haven't rated anything from DT after 6DOIT higher than this neither though)
meh, i fail to see any potential for something unique/original/fresh from this band in future.

Congrats on having the patience to listen to something ten times in a week or so that you rate 6/10  ;D   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #1443 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »
I listend yesterday to the whole album doing my workout,
it just does not touch me, by the way, after soa I had the new trivium on my iphone, that is really sounding great :metal
Carpe diem baby

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: October 24, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
I'm listening to "Little Brother Is Watching". It's a bummer that Thal didn't have more songwriting influence on SoA. I think his quirky sense of melodies combined with the prog aspects of MP and DS would have made for a really innovative record.

Completely agree. (Even if the album does peter out just a little towards the end.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline majo

« Reply #1445 on: October 24, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »

Congrats on having the patience to listen to something ten times in a week or so that you rate 6/10  ;D   
well... 6/10 isn't that bad in my books. There is about 30 minutes of music I kinda dig. It's not very original or unique 30 mins but still solid. I wouldn't be able, for instance, go through even half of something like The Astonishing 10 times in one week. Also, I've had SoA for longer than a week   :yarr
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:50:19 AM by majo »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1446 on: October 24, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1447 on: October 24, 2017, 01:24:49 AM »
Listened to the whole album again today. Still can't get through Opus Maximus, it feels like a lifeless, incoherent piece with terrible flow between its parts. Is it just me?

Well, it has life in its most melodic parts, but as a whole, it's kinda meh.

I remember my fears when I learnt that on the then new Train of Though, the instrumental was 11 minutes long, and I was happy to find that it was riff driven and not jam driven, and that it has a coherent mood throughout the song, this doesn't happen with Opus Maximus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1448 on: October 24, 2017, 04:33:25 AM »
So my pre-order finally arrived...

...in a damaged case.  :angry:

Oh well, I'm about to start listening. I'll post my opinions of the songs as I go along. I enjoyed the singles, so let's hope this thing is good.  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1449 on: October 24, 2017, 04:49:58 AM »
God Of The Sun - Killer opening track. It's got a great swaggery groove to it while not letting up in the slightest in terms of heaviness. I will say that the section from 7-9 minutes didn't need to be there at all (& this is coming from someone who usually enjoys those sorts of sections), though maybe it'll become more natural with more listens. I do however, like the sheer epicness of the song, & while part of that may be due to its length, I think it has an overall good sense of pacing minus that section, & by the time the final chorus hits, it has a million times more impact than the first one (which seemed underwhelming at first, but I quickly "got" it later on). Apart from that, I enjoy the mystical-sounding intro (for lack of a better term) & how it has slight reincarnations in later parts of the song, which adds a bit of variety to it. Overall a solid (although shaky at times) listen & a good starting point for the album.

Coming Home - Like I said the first time, I like this track way more than people gave it credit for. Time has passed & I think it's only gotten better with age. That riff is just so powerful & the song's groove is immense. Because of that, I feel like it (again) has a good sense of pace, probably better than God Of The Sun due to it being more direct. Another thing I like is how the chorus, instead of building up, it instead cuts back to basics just to emphasise how solid that riff is. Then, of course, there's the solo, in which Ron's guitar tone really makes this work. I don't really know how to put it, but to a certain extent it's light & airy with just the right amount of power to have it stick out. I think it also works really well with Derek's keyboard tone & together they truly make that section an experience. So yeah, I still really love this song. At the moment I'm finding it a little bit better than God Of The Sun, though maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with this one. I don't know, let's see.

Signs Of The Time - Okay, maybe I regret what I said about Ron's guitar being light & airy. That intro scared the shit out of me.  :lol Needless to say, this is where the heaviness of the album really starts to be emphasised, but I feel like that effort's a little misplaced on this track. I don't really care for the main riff too much or the heavy guitar tone or the brooding metal lyrics, but I feel where the song really shines is in the melodic elements. That chorus is fantastic & once again, when given some dynamics, Ron's soloing is top-notch. I just wish they placed a little more emphasis on those elements because the heavy elements on this track don't have nearly as much to offer. While Coming Home was a little bit of a grower for me, I feel like this song works better as a single. It especially doesn't work as well after two majorly groove-laden tracks. I don't hate this song (hell, I even said I liked it when it came out), but what majorly strikes me about it is that it's just okay & could've been better. That, & from an album's perspective, my interest is starting to wane a little bit. Let's see what's next.

Labyrinth - Now this is what I'm talking about. A good variety of all different types of sections interlaced with each other & helping each other to grow. As the second epic from the album, I definitely get that "epic" vibe from this a lot more than I do from God Of The Sun. While both songs have offshoot sections & vary greatly from their source material, I feel like Labyrinth does a lot better of a job at conveying its changes without losing any impact, & I feel like a big part of that is in MP's drumming. While it hasn't particularly stuck out to me on the last three songs, it does such a great job on this song at holding everything together when realistically it should all be going to chaos. One more thing, I love that guitar solo, it's just so great at building up from a starting point to a satisfying climax, & the ending to that solo is the true epicness I was expecting from this song, & it did not disappoint in the slightest. Great song, best one so far. Now we'll just have to see how they follow this up.

Alive - A ballad? Have to admit, not what I was expecting at this point in the album, but I'll take it regardless. I feel like this songs sets up a pretty great atmosphere in its opening sections & the first verse sets up quite a bit of potential. While the chorus is a little generic, it's certainly nothing terrible, but then after that comes the riff & that's where my MAJOR problem with the song starts. Every time this song changes sections, the momentum it's gained from its previous sections is completely lost & the song comes to a screeching halt. Like, that heavy riff comes in right after the chorus with no introduction & after it happens it just goes into the second verse like nothing ever happened. & this is an issue that unfortunately extends into the solo too. I do look the quiet & atmospheric solo sections & all, but at this point in the album, you've gotta wonder if they're only doing this because they don't have any other ideas because it doesn't work for the song whatsoever, nor is it that impressive seeing as the rest of it isn't even that loud by comparison. I guess what I'm saying is, this song had a lot of potential to be great, but it kills its own mood several times within the transitions & it just makes it extremely difficult for it to be immersive (like these types of tracks generally are). Overall, it's a pretty big disappointment, let's see what's next.

Lost In Oblivion - Well, it's certainly heavy, but that's about all I can say about it. If you enjoy songs that are brutally heavy beyond any reasonable measure, then go ahead, this is right up your alley, but other than that, you can obviously tell that this is it's only real focus. Not that there's anything wrong with that - after all, a brutally heavy song can be fun as hell to listen to if you're in the right mood, but this doesn't quite reach out to me like let's just say Avenged Sevenfold's 'God Hates Us' does for example. These types of songs do tend to grow on me, so maybe my opinion will change, but as of right now, it's just "I understand what it's trying to do & I can see myself enjoying it sometime else, but it doesn't do much for me now". The only other thing I have to mention is that I can't be the only one who notices structural similarities to Signs Of The Time, right? Okay, let's move on.

Figaro's Whore - Oh really Derek, you're all about the feel & #nogadgetsfakery? I find that hard to believe when this song is basically "let's play 10000 notes per second that are only vaguely in key & don't contribute any rhythmic or melodic quality whatsoever". Delet this.

Divine Addiction - This is a nice little hard-rock track. It's influence from Deep Purple's 'Perfect Strangers' is pretty obvious, but I don't think that's necessarily an issue. This song just has a nice sense of power to it, especially in the outro. The verses & chorus come & go & it's all very fast-paced with quick buildups. & I think this is necessary because of how rhythmically oriented the song is. The pulse is pretty much tangible & you feel it with every beat of this song as it progresses. While there may not be an ultra-stellar section or solo that really sticks out, this track works well as a coherent whole, & as a homage to classic hard rock. It works well for what it tries to do, but that isn't exactly the most ambitious thing in the world is what I'm trying to say. Still an enjoyable listen though & a good change of pace from the disappointment of the past three tracks. Now let's just see if they can end it well.

Opus Maximus - Interesting ending for this album. This final track has the band take a daring experiment to actually construct a progressive metal song. & that it does. The whole song is very brooding (or at least it begins that way) & has a lot of variety between groove-oriented parts, solo-oriented parts & metal-oriented parts. I will say however that the onslaught of new sections can get pretty overwhelming & there's not a whole lot sticking it together. That said, it forces you to be fully engaged with it until the end due to it's sheer intensity, & for once on this album, the heaviness doesn't come off as forced, but instead as legitimately dark & threatening, especially in the intro. & the bassline-driven section has a ton of groove to it, which again, gives the song more variety. That said, a lot of sections just kind of come up out of nowhere, especially in the 3-minute mark, & I will admit that near the end I was about ready for the song to be over. Nonetheless, it did prove to be an interesting ending to the album & I fully expect this song to majorly grow on me once I get my head around how it's structured. It's just a little different & strange is all, but definitely not bad.

Verdict - This album was... disappointing. While it definitely had its moments & took influence from many different sources, the end result suffered from poor flow, unnecessary sections, some shallow songwriting choices, & nearing the end of the album, most of the songs started to bleed together for me. I will stand by my opinion that the highs on this album are great achievements that shouldn't go unnoticed, but with all that said, I wish they'd constructed a better album experience rather that a mixed bag of songs. While it's not bad by any means, & if someone's into metal, I'd suggest they'd at least check it out, but just be prepared for a shaky ride. Again, it's not terrible or anything, but it's far below what I expect from these musicians, what I expected from the hype surrounding it, & my own expectations from the singles. I defended them until this point, but they haven't made an album that's worth defending here.

5/10

Ranking:

#1. Labyrinth
#2. Opus Maximus
#3. Coming Home
#4. God Of The Sun
#5. Divine Addiction
#6. Signs Of The Time
#7. Lost In Oblivion
#8. Alive
#9. Figaro's Whore
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:25:38 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1450 on: October 24, 2017, 06:36:03 AM »
Opus Maximus starts strongly enough, but after 3-4 minutes, it devolves into ITNOG territories of wankery, except, unlike ITNOG, it never circles back around to something big and satisfying. So, it's not as bad as Raw Dog as far as instruments go, but it's certainly close.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1451 on: October 24, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »
I'd have a hard time ranking them. For sure the two instrumentals are my least favorites, and God of the Sun is my clear favorite.

I can't however pick between the remaining songs, they're all good in their own way and it's even hard for me to compare the long Labyrinth, the balladesque alive and the retro Divine Addiction. All solid stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1452 on: October 24, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
Did someone say...ranking?  :biggrin:

Hard to really do one this early, but I'll give it a shot based on initial impressions:

1.  Alive - #1 and #2 were a tossup.  Alive is incredibly beautiful, and I gave it the #1 spot due to its focus.  Once I have a chance to have really digested Labrynth, the order could very well switch.
2.  Labyrinth
3.  Signs Of The Time - I wish the riffing was a bit less muddy.  But still solid.
4.  Divine Addiction - Cool closer.  That big organ sound is just right for this song.
5.  Coming Home - Another solid one.
6.  God of the Sun - This is where there is a slight dropoff for me.  I like the song.  There are some amazing moments.  But it seems to lack cohesion.
7.  Lost In Oblivion - The only vocal track that feels a bit like "filler" where there were some good ideas, but this might not have made the cut if they had something else a bit stronger.
8.  Opus Maximus - As mentioned above, some cool moments, but meanders all over the place and doesn't seem to have focus.
9.  Figaro's Whore - Fun, short instrumental/solo spot. 

Not a bad song in the lot, as far as I'm concerned.  But the standouts really stand out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1453 on: October 24, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
1. God of the Sun

2. Signs of the Time

3-7. For me, nothing really stands out from the rest of the album. It's boring, and it all blends together.

8. Opus Maximus

9. Figaros Whore

Offline emtee

« Reply #1454 on: October 24, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »
The most positive takeaway for me is that this band does have the potential to create something great. With
MP's schedule and commitments to all his other projects it's hard to envision him being able to take any
large chunk of time in the studio with SoA. And while there is not a direct correlation to time-in-studio vs.
standing the test of time, I think it helps to have a few months to fine tune and demo the songs. Everything
MP does in the studio has time constraints and so he can't spend any substantial amount of time on parts
for each song. And while he is always rock solid in the studio and I have loved his drumming for many years,
he hasn't really pulled out any truly unique parts for many years. This band has a great foundation and possibly
a landmark album in their future but IMO it won't happen unless they spend a generous amount of time together
during the creative process.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1455 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »
Put enough monkeys in a room with a typewriter and they'll eventually write Shakespeare; put 5 monkeys in a room for 2 weeks with some gear and they'll write Psychotic Symphony.

[quote lerxt] Who's going to clean all those typewriters?![/quote]

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1456 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
Did someone say...ranking?  :biggrin:

Hard to really do one this early, but I'll give it a shot based on initial impressions:

1.  Alive - #1 and #2 were a tossup.  Alive is incredibly beautiful, and I gave it the #1 spot due to its focus.  Once I have a chance to have really digested Labrynth, the order could very well switch.
2.  Labyrinth
3.  Signs Of The Time - I wish the riffing was a bit less muddy.  But still solid.
4.  Divine Addiction - Cool closer.  That big organ sound is just right for this song.
5.  Coming Home - Another solid one.
6.  God of the Sun - This is where there is a slight dropoff for me.  I like the song.  There are some amazing moments.  But it seems to lack cohesion.
7.  Lost In Oblivion - The only vocal track that feels a bit like "filler" where there were some good ideas, but this might not have made the cut if they had something else a bit stronger.
8.  Opus Maximus - As mentioned above, some cool moments, but meanders all over the place and doesn't seem to have focus.
9.  Figaro's Whore - Fun, short instrumental/solo spot. 

Not a bad song in the lot, as far as I'm concerned.  But the standouts really stand out.
I'd put Alive a bit lower and God of the Sun a bit higher, but otherwise this looks about right for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1457 on: October 24, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
Put enough monkeys in a room with a typewriter and they'll eventually write Shakespeare; put 5 monkeys in a room for 2 weeks with some gear and they'll write Psychotic Symphony.

Who's going to clean all those typewriters?!

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1458 on: October 24, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »
https://allthatshreds.com/ron-bumblefoot-thal-discusses-sons-apollo-exit-guns-roses/
I have no complaints about the end result, but, yes, the writing process did seem a bit rushed.
Even DT spends at least a month on it (isn't the case for ADToE?)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1459 on: October 24, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
And while he is always rock solid in the studio and I have loved his drumming for many years,
he hasn't really pulled out any truly unique parts for many years.

There is one interesting section drumming wise, it's a complicated meter in Opus Maximum. I suspect it's the section he referred to in an interview having to sit down and practice it for half an hour.

This band has a great foundation and possibly
a landmark album in their future but IMO it won't happen unless they spend a generous amount of time together

If the general public perception of the album is like ours, I don't quite see them doing a second album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1460 on: October 24, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
And while he is always rock solid in the studio and I have loved his drumming for many years,
he hasn't really pulled out any truly unique parts for many years.

There is one interesting section drumming wise, it's a complicated meter in Opus Maximum. I suspect it's the section he referred to in an interview having to sit down and practice it for half an hour.

This band has a great foundation and possibly

If the general public perception of the album is like ours, I don't quite see them doing a second album.

I think that section was the "Rushuggah" riff Bumble came up with, it's the opening riff for Lost In Oblivion.

The general public perception is not like in this forum. Most reviews I have read are pretty positive.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1461 on: October 24, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »
Yes, if you google "Sons of apollo psychotic symphony review", it's really easy to verify that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: October 24, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Yes, if you google "Sons of apollo psychotic symphony review", it's really easy to verify that.

I guess the top three are written by DTF members.... or scratch that. All reviews that do not praise the album as the best thing sinced sliced bread must be written by mebers of this board.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1463 on: October 24, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »

1. Bumblefoot
2. Sheehan
3. Sotto
4. Derek
5. MP

I'd go with:

1. Bumblefoot
2. Sotto
3. Sherinian
4. Sheehan
5. Portnoy

And really Sotto & Bumblefoot are tied for me. I haven't listened to the album enough to catch all of the cool things Bumblefoot might've done. To be fair, that probably applies to Sheehan too. He's not very up front in the mix. With Sotto, it's a straight up love fest for Herrick. If they do another album, I'd really like to hear Sotto do some different vocal stuff.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1464 on: October 24, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »
The general public perception is not like in this forum. Most reviews I have read are pretty positive.
Indeed, more so than I would have expected actually, even though I like the album a lot.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1465 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »
I haven't looked at too many reviews, but I do wonder how many of them are legit reviews, as opposed to huge MP fans that love whatever he does? Many of the reviews posted here have been far too over the top for many of us to take seriously. I guess I would just be skeptical of how many reviews are of unbias listeners or people who would have loved/hated whatever it was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1466 on: October 24, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »

1. Bumblefoot
2. Sheehan
3. Sotto
4. Derek
5. MP

I'd go with:

1. Bumblefoot
2. Sotto
3. Sherinian
4. Sheehan
5. Portnoy

And really Sotto & Bumblefoot are tied for me. I haven't listened to the album enough to catch all of the cool things Bumblefoot might've done. To be fair, that probably applies to Sheehan too. He's not very up front in the mix. With Sotto, it's a straight up love fest for Herrick. If they do another album, I'd really like to hear Sotto do some different vocal stuff.

I agree MP is the weak link here, sadly like he was in DT towards the end as well. I think if this is the first album you heard from him it would be a different story. He is obviously a great player but I feel like I've heard all of his fills and patterns by now.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1467 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
I haven't looked at too many reviews, but I do wonder how many of them are legit reviews, as opposed to huge MP fans that love whatever he does? Many of the reviews posted here have been far too over the top for many of us to take seriously. I guess I would just be skeptical of how many reviews are of unbias listeners or people who would have loved/hated whatever it was.
I don't know about bias necessarily, but for sure many (most?) of the reviews that are either gushing praise or harsh digs are going to be either that or simply strong opinions/tastes/whatever. But places like TeamRock (which runs Classic Rock, Prog, Metal Hammer and so on) gave it 4 stars, for example. And there are a bunch of reviews that read pretty neutrally giving 7-9/10 or equivalents.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1468 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
Oh totally. Like I said, I haven't seen them. I generally don't read reviews anyway. I just hope the reviews from the very very odd places "koreauguitar" or whatever, or sites that looked like they were just made for the reviews, aren't being seen as genuinely reliable reviews.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1469 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
I doubt the number of albums sold will determine if another record is made. I'm guessing the turn out at the shows will be a bigger indicator of their success. Also, I'd be curious if JSS and Billy want to continue. Billy is old and has other commitments and it sounds like JSS didn't have a lot of creative freedom.