Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468380 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1120 on: October 20, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
I will say, I had hopes that tonight SoA and Vuur would be competing for which I enjoy more, but as I've seen reactions roll in it's more likely they'll be fighting to see which disappoints me less. I very much hope I'm wrong on that of course, but we shall see.

I haven't listened to the whole Vuur album yet, but I can say I've enjoyed it much more than Psychotic Symphony. The mix and musicianship is amazing! My only complaint so far is that it got me a little bored after a while, that's why I didn't finish it inmediately (I'm busy with other things, though)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1121 on: October 20, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
So a sitar automatically means its Home? Ok. I liked that intro, it fits the God of the Sun title. The dawn of the day in Egypt.

I barely started listening and so far God of The Sun is pretty good. But a lot of sudden atops and it has the A Nightmare to Remember syndrome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1122 on: October 20, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »
This is probably the least meaningful work of music I've heard all year

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1123 on: October 20, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
https://teamrock.com/feature/2017-10-20/sons-of-apollo-talk-us-through-their-new-album

DS: It hadn’t made a solo record in five years, so I had all this shit bursting to get out. I immediately went into the studio and started writing. I had this one piece, God Of The Sun, and I kept working it and working it, and it just turned into this 11-minute thing. [...]

MP: “That was pretty much the only existing sketch when we began the album. Everything else after that was stuff we collaborated on and worked on together.

QED. The best song on the album is the one someone actually labored over.

Exactly.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1124 on: October 20, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Metal Injection review: https://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/sons-of-apollo-psychotic-symphony

That's not positive at all

Obviously written by a DT fanboy who flips burgers as their side job.

:)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1125 on: October 20, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
One thing that really bugs me....Billy Sheehans gritty bass tone. It works at points but Damn is it gritty. Compared to DS organ grittiness and Bumblefoots distortion.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #1126 on: October 20, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
I hate to say this but.......YAWN. It sounds like a session of FII outtakes thrown into a blender with Symphony X. Nothing new, nothing real catchy. Oh well, just my opinion so far.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1127 on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
I like it.

There. I said it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
I will say, I had hopes that tonight SoA and Vuur would be competing for which I enjoy more, but as I've seen reactions roll in it's more likely they'll be fighting to see which disappoints me less. I very much hope I'm wrong on that of course, but we shall see.

Damn, VUUR getting bad reviews too?  Since that is in the mail, I haven't been following today like I am SoA since I just got the digital download of that and therefore listening today.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1129 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
I like it.

There. I said it.

And good for you, it's great that people like/love this album.  It just so happens that it's an album that people are on the fence about or just do not like after the first listen.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #1130 on: October 20, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
As a DT fan for 22 years, I'm amazed that I'm saying this.... but I just can't get all the way through a single track. This seems like really unauthentic music to me; rushed, forced, and trying way too hard. Like DS and MP are trying to prove something that they don't even need to prove. This is just an ugly project IMO.

But I sure agree that Bumblefoot is surprisingly interesting!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1131 on: October 20, 2017, 11:44:04 AM »

Damn, VUUR getting bad reviews too?  Since that is in the mail, I haven't been following today like I am SoA since I just got the digital download of that and therefore listening today.

I wouldn't say it's been getting bad reviews, I'd just say that aside from Anneke fanboys and girls nobody has made me overly excited about it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »

I wouldn't say it's been getting bad reviews, I'd just say that aside from Anneke fanboys and girls nobody has made me overly excited about it.

Yea sounds similar.  I got to say though, at the end of the day I would generally say I like Psychotic Symphony.  Even with my negative comments from my review earlier, it's far from a bad album IMO.

On another note, another band released it's debut album today, Cyhra (https://open.spotify.com/album/4N85L88CanUTGEQ3Z9UBau) and I must say I am digging this album from my first listen and this is the one I didn't buy  :lol (but this is not Prog so I can't quite compare it to SoA or VUUR).

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1133 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »
As a DT fan for 22 years, I'm amazed that I'm saying this.... but I just can't get all the way through a single track. This seems like really unauthentic music to me; rushed, forced, and trying way too hard. Like DS and MP are trying to prove something that they don't even need to prove. This is just an ugly project IMO.

But I sure agree that Bumblefoot is surprisingly interesting!

Yes, same here. Labyrinth started then after 4 minutes I had to leave my car and I really don't care to hear the rest of it, although to be fair I will listen to the end of it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1134 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
Most of what I’ve heard of Anneke’s recent work (outside stuff with Devin or Luccassen) is really mediocre. So I’m not surprised to hear Vuur is getting a lukewarm response.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1135 on: October 20, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
I tried listening to PS again at work earlier and just got bored right away. There's a vibe to this album and I think it boils down to 'trying too hard.' To sound cool? To replicate DT-esque prog metal? To show off? Not sure. But it definitely tries too hard to do too many things.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1136 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »
People who love generic metal will love this album. The energy is there, which will translate to an awesome live show. Which is where this band will shine.

Some songs have good ideas in them, but its not my cup of tea. JSS vocals are top notch, reminds of Shattered Skies singer. Its the gritty tone I don't really like. But then, the album cover metal color does fit that tone.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1137 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
I was listening to the song Breakout when he sang "Liar....those pants on fire" and I had to turn it off. I can take some bad lyrics, but those are pretty awful. And it was a prechorus or chorus, so it keeps getting repeated!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1138 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
It is kind of funny how they were all like "we're redefining prog" and most of the reviews have highlighted how prog-metal-by-numbers it is. Doesn't exactly feel like "redefining" to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
It is kind of funny how they were all like "we're redefining prog" and most of the reviews have highlighted how prog-metal-by-numbers it is. Doesn't exactly feel like "redefining" to me.

I feel like the expectations would have been more tame and maybe the reactions better if they had said "This is what my vision for DT would have been if I was still writing music for DT"  because that's honestly what it sounds a bit like.  Nothing redefining, nothing new, but sounds a lot like the end of MP's tenure with DT.  Raw Dog might have fit well on this album.  (and to be clear, I've always enjoyed Raw Dog for what it is and I find this album much easier to enjoy when I enjoy it for what it is, not what it was advertised as).

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1140 on: October 20, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
Divine Addiction may be my favorite song so far. Sounds like an 80's rock song but I like the vibe .

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1141 on: October 20, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »

I feel like the expectations would have been more tame and maybe the reactions better if they had said "This is what my vision for DT would have been if I was still writing music for DT"  because that's honestly what it sounds a bit like.  Nothing redefining, nothing new, but sounds a lot like the end of MP's tenure with DT.  Raw Dog might have fit well on this album.  (and to be clear, I've always enjoyed Raw Dog for what it is and I find this album much easier to enjoy when I enjoy it for what it is, not what it was advertised as).

honestly, had they just said from the get go that "hey, here's who the members are....we locked ourselves in a studio for a week....threw some songs together and had a blast. there's some prog for those of you who like prog....some rock.....a bit of something for all.....hope you all like it as we're excited about it"

simple...honest and to the point. the way DS and MP pimped this project out and handled the 'promotion' of this album really soured me personally and I have no problems admitting that has affected my listening experience towards the album. Had they been cool and humble ala JSS was in his interviews for it I'd be willing to bet I'd have received it better than I have. But, it wouldn't have dismissed the glaring issue that is these songs are just ho hum songs.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1142 on: October 20, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
Imagine an alternative scenario where the album was described like this:

"Well, you know how I always had a clear direction in mind for the albums when I was in DT, and that vision clearly stopped when I left the band. I'm not gonna say that this is me picking up where I left off with DT, 'cause this is a totally different animal and I'm back with Derek and we have the unique styles of Bumblefoot, Billy and JSS joining in, but let me say that if, for whatever reason, you're one of those whi miss my contributions in DT, this is totally the album you were waiting for! and hey, I hope that even those who don't miss me may find something they like in this album 'cause we have a little bit for everyone, the prog fans and the rock fans!"

(I work as customer support so I had to learn to be as diplomatic as possible  :D )
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1143 on: October 20, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
Imagine an alternative scenario where the album was described like this:

"Well, you know how I always had a clear direction in mind for the albums when I was in DT, and that vision clearly stopped when I left the band. I'm not gonna say that this is me picking up where I left off with DT, 'cause this is a totally different animal and I'm back with Derek and we have the unique styles of Bumblefoot, Billy and JSS joining in, but let me say that if, for whatever reason, you're one of those whi miss my contributions in DT, this is totally the album you were waiting for! and hey, I hope that even those who don't miss me may find something they like in this album 'cause we have a little bit for everyone, the prog fans and the rock fans!"

(I work as customer support so I had to learn to be as diplomatic as possible  :D )

Mike should hire you as his PR guy

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1144 on: October 20, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
Neal is the main songwriter, arranger, lyricist, sets vision, and so forth. It's Neal's band, not Mike's. MP simply provides his services in the drum department. I could be wrong, but I think MP longs for and thrives most in a leadership role instead of a support role.

I thought it was more of a band effort rather than another Morse solo project.

Wait, why was anyone expecting this to be redefining anything? Why would that even matter?

The more Sherinian hyped up the album, the less I believed the hype. So I wasn't massively disappointed when I heard the album. It's ok. Maybe it'll grow on Herrick.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1145 on: October 20, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
and that vision clearly stopped when I left the band.

I take issue with this, but it's still a more diplomatic effort than MP managed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »
Yea, something just more honest would have worked.  I get bands hype their latest releases and they kind of need to really, but "kings of prog" "redefining the genre" are things that are above just hyping yourself.  I've always found honestly goes a long way towards earning respect.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1147 on: October 20, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
I think they were in need of a good PR person. Maybe say something like

"If you like generic prog metal with a mix of 80's rock, check us out!"
"If you like prog metal but it bothers you that the members don't look tough enough, check us out"
"If you think bands spend too much time crafting their songs and working them out until they feel complete, then check us out"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: October 20, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
Well, I've got two listens under my belt which has caused me to order my first Bumblefoot CD.  :lol

Okay, three listens in and I find more to like than dislike. Strike that, I don't dislike anything about it, but there are points when I kinda zone out. I don't think I'll be purchasing the whole album, but God of the Sun, Labyrinth, and Alive belong in my library. Ron Thal is great and for the most part I enjoy JSS. Sound wise, I think it's a good recording. MP's drums sound fantastic as usual.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1149 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
I still haven't got time to post my full thoughts on the album yet, but am I the only one who thinks they missed a huge oportunity by not using Bumblefoot's voice? He has a nice voice (I find his singing more interesting than JSS) but it seems that most (if not all) of the backing vocals were done by MP  :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1150 on: October 20, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
That is a very good point. The guy has a great singing voice and could have complemented JSS.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: October 20, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
:iagree:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1152 on: October 20, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
I like it.

There. I said it.

Even if I am critical I like this record. It could have been better had they put more effort in the writing imo, but it's a good record. Surely not album of the year material, but as of now I would rate it 7/10.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1153 on: October 20, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
Well, through no fault of the band we're off on a bad start...

Opened up the CD and one of the discs is missing! I believe it's the instrumental disc at least, and I suppose I'll find out after Vuur. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: October 20, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
Listening on Spotify. Not much to add. Thal is the star on this album by far. Derek doesn't add anything special. I don't get caught up in drum fills and such like other people have been commenting on. Same with bass tones/playing, so don't have much to add in the drums/bass department. JSS is good, but doesn't do anything to elevate the songs to a higher level.

So yeah... Thal rocks on this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'