Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467795 times)

Offline Anxiety35

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1085 on: October 20, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
I think it's sold, but not a release that will stand the test of time. I like how it sounds (produced, engineered). Sounds powerful. I imagine that this wold be a fun live experience in concert.

My initial thoughts.

-->MP brings nothing new in the drum department. It's the same fills and patterns he has used for years (decades even). He's good at what he does but I'd like to see him progress or bring something new to the table. However, he does play to the song which is a very valuable quality for a drummer to have.

-->JSS sounds good and he is a good singer but I'm not sure if he is the right singer for this project. Best vocal track is Divine Addiction.

-->Bumblefoot is great.

-->Sheehan is great.

-->DS brings the most color to the project. I have always loved his lead tone. He adds a lot more to the keyboard department than he did in FII. You can hear snippets of his solo work, BCC, and Planet X in this release.

As far as Figaro's Whore, I think it's meant to be an intro to Divine Addiction. Might see it that way live. Divine Addiction is the most "sounds like another band" song. Like if Deep Purple and Rainbow merged.

There were times I was thinking "this sounds like Rainbow" or "this sounds like Deep Purple" or "this has a Pink Floyd vibe" or "this sounds like Led Zeppelin" or "this sounds like Uriah Heep" and whatnot. Nothing in the music really defining the band as Sons of Apollo. The scale runs and odd time signatures are there and I like that. But I think a lot of these were thrown into the middle of songs and as a result disrupted the songs. Kinda what was happening with the last couple of DT albums with MP. Why not write a song around the odd time signatures or chord progressions? I'm not asking for a DT part 2, but prog bands have a knack for being able to do that and do it well. The guys can play and I get it.

Just write a cohesive song.

I've listened to it twice. Favorite song is God of the Sun.

6.5/10 for me.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1086 on: October 20, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
Well...God Of The Sun certainly kicks my ass!! Very cool song.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »
Searched for reviews on progarchives... Sons of Apollo is not even listed.
Tells you something, right?

Offline emtee

« Reply #1088 on: October 20, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »

I brought this up a few days ago. There is a committee that has to approve whether a band is allowed on their
site and it seems this band does not meet their criteria.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »

Neither is VUUR, another debut prog metal band on the same record label.  Not sure this means anything specific to the band.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1090 on: October 20, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »

Neither is VUUR, another debut prog metal band on the same record label.  Not sure this means anything specific to the band.

I wouldn't consider it prog. It's more metal/rock with prog elements thrown in. Maybe that's why?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »

I wouldn't consider it prog. It's more metal/rock with prog elements thrown in. Maybe that's why?

I think that's spot on....

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1092 on: October 20, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
Was not bowled over by the two pre-released songs, but I'm digging what I'm hearing so far on the album. I'm getting a bit of a Star One/space metal vibe (not a bad thing).

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1093 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Gods of the Sun's part towards the end sounds like Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum's Widening Eye. The four songs I've heard are not bad but nothing I would need to own. I feel like it all has a been there done that and been done better feel to it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1094 on: October 20, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
So...

I've listened to it many times already. I like it. Do I love it? NO. Are they the #KingsOfProgMetal?  NO.  But I do like it. Hard rock with prog sprinkled in. The star of the album IMO is Bumblefoot. Totally digging his playing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1095 on: October 20, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
So happy Portnoy left if this was his vision. I appreciate everything he did with, and for, Dream Theater. But if this was "the leader's vision", then no thanks. It can't touch the artistry of DT's last three albums.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: October 20, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
So far 1 spin through and on to the new GWAR album.   I'm enjoying the GWAR album more.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1097 on: October 20, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
I think I'm liking it more now. God of the sun is definitely standing out. I think even the two singles are pretty good. Still not feeling the last three tracks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1098 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »
There is a committee that has to approve whether a band is allowed on their
site and it seems this band does not meet their criteria.

Is there a forum there?  I'd love to sign up and ask opinions of the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame".   

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: October 20, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »
I think I'm liking it more now. God of the sun is definitely standing out. I think even the two singles are pretty good. Still not feeling the last three tracks.

God of the Sun is a monster of a tune and, for me, easily the best track of the album. I wish the rest of the album was more like it. Agree with your assessment of the last three tracks and the two singles.

Probably a 7/10 for me.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »

God of the Sun is a monster of a tune and, for me, easily the best track of the album. I wish the rest of the album was more like it. Agree with your assessment of the last three tracks and the two singles.

Probably a 7/10 for me.

Yea I think that may be my favorite track as well, from my first few listens

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1101 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
Made it one listen through the album on Spotify. Confirmed most of what I was thinking with the singles. It was okay, not good, not bad. Just okay.

I feel like this was a missed opportunity to a degree, but whatever. As others have said, it definitely shows that there wasn't much time spent on this. I know DS and MP talked about how quickly the album came out and everything flowed, etc.... and that's great, but it clearly shows itself as rushed at times. I think some of these songs would have greatly benefited from simply taking more time to work through arrangements, melodies, and leaving some things on the cutting room floor.

Bumblefoot plays well, Billy is Billy, Mike is Mike, Derek has a couple cool moments and Jeff feels totally underutilized.

God of the Sun is definitely my favorite track, after that it is a lot similar sounding stuff that kinda blurred together.

Definitely not buying this one.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1102 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
I know lots of artists do this pre-album hype stuff, but Portnoy (and Sherinian, so it seems) takes it waaaay over the top. And what are we expected to do if not believe them? What's the point of them even saying those things if they are essentially lies? They should get arrested under the Trades Descriptions Act or false advertising if that's the case. A simple thing like "This is the album we're most proud of" will do, but don't go with all this "redefining *genre*/*adjective*-est album ever" rubbish. It sets up expectations that will only ever lead to disappointment when the music does come along.

And yes, I know we can all ignore it, but still...why do they do it? (rhetorical)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1103 on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
Overall I'm thinking around 7-8/10, which is a solid score and a good debut album.

I find it fascinating how the tone of what people can say about something can be so very different, yet produce similar ratings. That metal injection review was incredibly negative, but gave a 6.5/10 rating which is pretty good (what on earth do they say about 3/10 albums?). Noxon's review was medium with the odd negative leaning, and I think he gave 7/10 which is similar to me and I would consider a good score. Whereas my view is it's a good album with some great stuff and very enjoyable overall.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1104 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »
Overall I'm thinking around 7-8/10, which is a solid score and a good debut album.

I find it fascinating how the tone of what people can say about something can be so very different, yet produce similar ratings. That metal injection review was incredibly negative, but gave a 6.5/10 rating which is pretty good (what on earth do they say about 3/10 albums?). Noxon's review was medium with the odd negative leaning, and I think he gave 7/10 which is similar to me and I would consider a good score. Whereas my view is it's a good album with some great stuff and very enjoyable overall.

To be fair, 6.5 out of 10 is still a D.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1105 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »

I don't know what that means.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1106 on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
So happy Portnoy left if this was his vision. I appreciate everything he did with, and for, Dream Theater. But if this was "the leader's vision", then no thanks. It can't touch the artistry of DT's last three albums.

Yes I 100% agree. MP may have been the supposed leader of DT but he sorely misses Petrucci and also Jordan as song writers. The playing is very good, not DT level on any instrument but very unoriginal. I actually like JSS's vocals. Gives it an 80's rock feel.  Also have a new found appreciation of Ron Thal's playing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »
I would give the first 30 minutes a solid 7-8/10. It's what comes after that pulls it down towards a 5/10 for me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1108 on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »

It's a 65% technically. If I got a 65% on a test, that would be a D and would be a very bad grade. Granted it would be better than a 30%, but it's still not good. In grad school, it's failing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1109 on: October 20, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »

It's a 65% technically. If I got a 65% on a test, that would be a D and would be a very bad grade. Granted it would be better than a 30%, but it's still not good. In grad school, it's failing.
Ah ok, I don't know about American grading systems. In the UK it depends on the exam - in many systems that would be the equivalent of a B.

But I'm not sure it's a very good analogy anyway as this isn't a test, it's an opinion on the quality and obviously we all have different gradings, which is what I find interesting. I consider 5/10 average, 6/10 good, 7/10 very good, 8/10 excellent, 9/10 amazing and 10/10 is reserved for only my favourite albums. Clearly others see the ratings differently.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1110 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »

Ah ok, I don't know about American grading systems. In the UK it depends on the exam - in many systems that would be the equivalent of a B.

But I'm not sure it's a very good analogy anyway as this isn't a test, it's an opinion on the quality and obviously we all have different gradings, which is what I find interesting. I consider 5/10 average, 6/10 good, 7/10 very good, 8/10 excellent, 9/10 amazing and 10/10 is reserved for only my favourite albums. Clearly others see the ratings differently.

I think there are a lot of reviewers who would be reluctant to give a lower rating than 6 or 7 just because of the caliber of the players, and there certainly *is* good playing on this album. And if they feel the songs are generic or they borrow too much from other bands, it might not be an album that they enjoy or want to listen to. But they save the 2 or 3 out of 10 for something they hate or strongly dislike.

(BTW if Stadler gives you a 6.5 out of 10, he really didn't like it ;) )

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1111 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »
https://teamrock.com/feature/2017-10-20/sons-of-apollo-talk-us-through-their-new-album

DS: It hadn’t made a solo record in five years, so I had all this shit bursting to get out. I immediately went into the studio and started writing. I had this one piece, God Of The Sun, and I kept working it and working it, and it just turned into this 11-minute thing. [...]

MP: “That was pretty much the only existing sketch when we began the album. Everything else after that was stuff we collaborated on and worked on together.

QED. The best song on the album is the one someone actually labored over.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:41:10 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1112 on: October 20, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
Shit bursting?  Get Derek some Imodium! Stat!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1113 on: October 20, 2017, 10:50:13 AM »
Metal Injection review: https://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/sons-of-apollo-psychotic-symphony

I wonder if MP will still say that all the reviewers are unanimously loving this album  :biggrin:

Or maybe Metal Injection people are just a bunch of "biased DT fanboys"  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #1114 on: October 20, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
SAD!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1115 on: October 20, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
The one good thing about this album is it may cause me to check out more of Bumblefoot's work. As I said a few pages back he has some great solos on here. The one in Alive should be longer than it is, had a very nice vibe to it.

Everyone is hating on Figaro's Whore and in my opinion rightfully so, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that awful keyboard solo in OM? Not only is the playing boring, it even sounds a bit sloppy to me, not as in wrong notes but just the cleanness of it. Derek has two very nice Organ solos on the album (Labyrinth and Divine Addiction,) and the synth solos in God of the Sun and Alive are fine. Rest sound totally uninspired. It takes a certain amount of skill to make very technical solos interesting for me and Bumblefoot is the only one in this group who can accomplish that.

As far as the instrumental CD, I think Alive would be a nice track to practice improvising on. Would I buy the disc just for that? No. I don't think the arrangements are interesting enough for an instrumental only album, to be honest. Stems may have been cooler though.

Also, for those disappointed with JSS, I was pretty sure there was some conflict when recording between him and Derek over vocal melodies and/or arrangements, so it is possible some of the issues discussed here are not actually his fault, but Derek's. But no way to say for sure.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1116 on: October 20, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »

Yes, and this plays against a larger problem I have when reviewing things. Generally, if I'm giving an album seriously ear time and consideration, it's something I'm expected to some degree to enjoy. I can't imagine this lineup producing an album I considered a 5/10, even if I had a ton of horrible things to say about it. They are just too good and experienced I think to put out something on that level. In addition I just love music and it's hard for me to say anything with any degree of pedigree is so bad as to warrant a 5/10. It's hard to basically say you're so bad maybe music isn't your thing, which is basically what that score says.

All that being said, if a band like SoA gets a 6.5 or 7/10 I find that pretty damning given who they are. Bunch of random kids, that score can still show a lot of hope and promise. From these guys, you just need to expect better.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1118 on: October 20, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
I will say, I had hopes that tonight SoA and Vuur would be competing for which I enjoy more, but as I've seen reactions roll in it's more likely they'll be fighting to see which disappoints me less. I very much hope I'm wrong on that of course, but we shall see.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: October 20, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
Well, I've got two listens under my belt which has caused me to order my first Bumblefoot CD.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens