Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468397 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #945 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
How can you say there are no mediocre songs when two have already been released?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: October 18, 2017, 09:49:36 PM »
How can you say there are no mediocre songs when two have already been released?

Excellent point.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #947 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »
Received the SOA cd today  ;D and after 4 consecutive listens, I'm of the opinion that this is THE album of the year! I wouldn't call it prog rock, prog metal or hard rock, but I would definitely call it "Melodic Prog-Metal". From the INCREDIBLE opener "God of The Sun" throughout the album, there isn't one bad, or even mediocre  song. Strangely enough, the instrumental "Opus Maximus" is my least favorite on the cd (and I seriously question its placement at the end of the cd). It's high quality stuff, but I actually expected to be blown away which I wasn't. I think many of the jam parts of other songs are far more interesting.
Jeff Scott Soto & Bumblefoot just knock it out of the park, while MP, Derek and Billy shine as they always do. There are influences all through this cd. From Deep Purple to the melodic melody of The Winery Dogs, to the rock attack of Van Halen & Alter Bridge and of course the progressiveness of  Derek's solo albums and even Planet X. There is something for everyone of Psychotic Symphony. This is certainly not a Dream Theater clone at all (as it shouldn't be as there is already a Dream Theater giving us what we need in their style). If you can get past Derek's not so subtle shots at DT (I don't know where people get the idea that MP has knocked them at all in any of these SOA interviews), you will find a tremendous cd! 9.5/10

I'm glad someone else agrees with me!!!! I can't wait for the tour!!!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #948 on: October 18, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #949 on: October 18, 2017, 10:42:37 PM »
I let the music speak for itself. Regardless what anyone says. Most of the albums I like are ones that people say are the bands worst.

They should've just done those commentary videos from the start. That would've been the smart move.

So bring on the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pcs90

« Reply #950 on: October 18, 2017, 10:44:14 PM »

In fact there are more than two!

The highlight of the album for me is Bumblefoot. There are a couple of very nice solos which have a good mix of emotion and speed. My favorite is definitely on "Alive." Does he compare to Petrucci's emotional solos? No, but there's some very nice playing and also some totally insane playing as well that is quite unique.

Overall though I find the album boring as a whole. Portnoy's playing the same fills as he has for the past 20 years, Derek's playing the same runs that he's been playing for 20 years, and many of the instrumental sections are just boring IMO. I do enjoy the use of the B3 organ throughout, and Derek's solos on that instrument are much better than his synth ones, which except for 1 or 2 are just warm-up exercises.

Almost the entire album is rocking or otherwise heavy...very few soft sections to be found. I find this tiring. Some will love it. It's similar to TOT in this aspect.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #951 on: October 18, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
Yeah. Some of the songs remind me Day of The Dead heavy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #952 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:18 PM »

Excellent point.
:police: :police:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #953 on: October 19, 2017, 02:48:22 AM »
Strangely enough, the instrumental "Opus Maximus" is my least favorite on the cd (and I seriously question its placement at the end of the cd).

I haven't heard it but I predict this will be a disjointed wank fest, but hope to be proved wrong. I would like a cohesive piece with strong melodies but that's probably not prog enough.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #954 on: October 19, 2017, 04:14:06 AM »
Strangely enough, the instrumental "Opus Maximus" is my least favorite on the cd (and I seriously question its placement at the end of the cd).

I haven't heard it but I predict this will be a disjointed wank fest, but hope to be proved wrong. I would like a cohesive piece with strong melodies but that's probably not prog enough.  :biggrin:
It's pretty good, but in my opinion its placement is wrong. Instrumental prog isn't normally the most exciting thing, so without any vocal songs to look forward after it, I find it easy to tune out a bit.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #955 on: October 19, 2017, 04:36:28 AM »
Received the SOA cd today  ;D and after 4 consecutive listens, I'm of the opinion that this is THE album of the year! I wouldn't call it prog rock, prog metal or hard rock, but I would definitely call it "Melodic Prog-Metal". From the INCREDIBLE opener "God of The Sun" throughout the album, there isn't one bad, or even mediocre  song. Strangely enough, the instrumental "Opus Maximus" is my least favorite on the cd (and I seriously question its placement at the end of the cd). It's high quality stuff, but I actually expected to be blown away which I wasn't. I think many of the jam parts of other songs are far more interesting.
Jeff Scott Soto & Bumblefoot just knock it out of the park, while MP, Derek and Billy shine as they always do. There are influences all through this cd. From Deep Purple to the melodic melody of The Winery Dogs, to the rock attack of Van Halen & Alter Bridge and of course the progressiveness of  Derek's solo albums and even Planet X. There is something for everyone of Psychotic Symphony. This is certainly not a Dream Theater clone at all (as it shouldn't be as there is already a Dream Theater giving us what we need in their style). If you can get past Derek's not so subtle shots at DT (I don't know where people get the idea that MP has knocked them at all in any of these SOA interviews), you will find a tremendous cd! 9.5/10

Sounds good, I never got why they chose an instrumental song to be the last.
I hope my vinyl arrives tomorrow, I ordered it from insideout, which is a german label, and now I live in Austria...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #956 on: October 19, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »
Much as I like MP and DS, I'd pretty much agree with As I Am that the MVPs on the album are JSS and Bumblefoot. I'm really digging Soto's voice, and I love Bumblefoot's playing. I wasn't all that interested in Lost in Oblivion until a few listens in when I really noticed the guitar work which makes the song that much more quirky and engaging.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #957 on: October 19, 2017, 05:41:21 AM »
About JSS, it seems some people here are expecting to hear JSS from 20 years ago, but this won't be the case:
"the first thing I thought was I hope they don’t expect me to sing in that sort of Dream Theater, higher range that I don’t really do any more. That’s not really my wheelhouse these days. And if that was the case they’re going to have to find another guy because that’s not where my voice lives any more. But, thankfully that was the opposite of that they wanted. It actually worked to my advantage on every level, especially once the songwriting process began.”

https://www.musiclifemagazine.net/jeff-scott-soto-thrilled-to-be-part-of-sons-of-apollo/
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #958 on: October 19, 2017, 05:55:44 AM »
My favourite song off this album is Alive. Derek really charges on the keyboard, the guitar solo is amazing, with notes stretched to the limit, and what a great chorus!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: October 19, 2017, 06:04:39 AM »
I'm with others who say they're impressed by Ron Thal on this album. Some fantastic playing on a very good album.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #960 on: October 19, 2017, 06:26:13 AM »
I've tried and tried but I am not getting there.  It's well played but the songwriting is lacking for me.  It's generic, not a lot of interesting melodies and the best ones sound so much like Symphony X leftovers, I might as well just listen to the real thing.  There are parts I really like but the leader forgot to get himself a songwriter.  Petrucci/Rudess are way under rated as pure songwriters.  They're creative and interesting.  For my taste there's not a single track that is creative and interesting.  30 second parts of tracks ?  Sure there's some parts I like - some I really like - but as songs and then as an album it's too generic for me to really care about.

I'm going to listen to The Astonishing.  Almost two years later and having heard it a few hundred times, it's still more interesting to me.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #961 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:09 AM »

It's pretty good, but in my opinion its placement is wrong. Instrumental prog isn't normally the most exciting thing, so without any vocal songs to look forward after it, I find it easy to tune out a bit.
The good thing about living in today's digital world is you can just move it.  As for why ?  Mike probably thought it would be such a cool, prog thing to do to end with a 10+ minute instrumental.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #962 on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »

The good thing about living in today's digital world is you can just move it.  As for why ?  Mike probably thought it would be such a cool, prog thing to do to end with a 10+ minute instrumental.
A part of me wonders if it's actually the other way round. Maybe they figured the album would be more accessible for those who wouldn't get a 10-minute prog instrumental, as they can just ignore it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #963 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:35 AM »
So to those have heard it so far, would you get the instrumental version of the CD?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #964 on: October 19, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »
So we can freely discuss this album now?

Meh. I don't want to rain on the parade so I'll just leave at this, it's a massive disappointment. Redefining prog metal, my ass... I wouldn't get the instrumental version. I'd rather watch Heartbeeps again than listen to an instrumental of Coming Home.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #965 on: October 19, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »

Isn't tomorrow the release date? maybe the ones who are talking about it all got promo copies.

Anyway, imagine this funny scenario... before the album is out:

"No discussions of leaks!!!"

"Ok!"

The day the album comes out: a lot of in depth reviews describing in precise details all the songs  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #966 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »

Isn't tomorrow the release date? maybe the ones who are talking about it all got promo copies.
Some on-line places mail them out before the release date so that they arrive on release date and it's not unusual for them to arrive a day or two early.  They don't tell the post office to hold onto them until a certain day ;)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #967 on: October 19, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »
So to those have heard it so far, would you get the instrumental version of the CD?

I bought the 2CD mediabook edition. I like mediabooks more than digipacks. I should be getting it in a couple of days.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #968 on: October 19, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
BelichickFan

Just quoting you because you have an awesome username!  :metal go Pats!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #969 on: October 19, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »
I have a promo copy. And I never understood the interest in "instruments-only" versions, so my answer is no, I wouldn't buy the 2CD version of this release.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #970 on: October 19, 2017, 08:26:35 AM »

Anyway, imagine this funny scenario... before the album is out:

"No discussions of leaks!!!"

"Ok!"

The day the album comes out: a lot of in depth reviews describing in precise details all the songs  :lol

Over here it can occur that people get copies early. In rare cases even like a week or so. I recall people getting The Source by Ayreon very early. Probably as the controls on niche products are not very tight? Don't know, I rarely buy something on release/blind. However, dates for major releases (games especially) are rarely broken I think.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #971 on: October 19, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »

I bought the 2CD mediabook edition. I like mediabooks more than digipacks. I should be getting it in a couple of days.

What's a "mediabook"?  Is it worth it if I'm not interested in the instrumental tracks? 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #972 on: October 19, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »

Meh. I don't want to rain on the parade so I'll just leave at this, it's a massive disappointment. Redefining prog metal, my ass... I wouldn't get the instrumental version. I'd rather watch Heartbeeps again than listen to an instrumental of Coming Home.

That made me laugh. :)

I am curious to hear this album but based on the reviews it's not super promising. Not bad but not ground breaking. I do like JSS's voice and would love to hear more of Ron Thal. I hate to say it but MP is the least interesting part of this. I'd rather hear Virgil on this. Also as someone else said MP has not been negative towards DT at least not in the press for this release it has been all DS.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #973 on: October 19, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »

I am curious to hear this album but based on the reviews it's not super promising. Not bad but not ground breaking. I do like JSS's voice and would love to hear more of Ron Thal. I hate to say it but MP is the least interesting part of this. I'd rather hear Virgil on this. Also as someone else said MP has not been negative towards DT at least not in the press for this release it has been all DS.

I feel Virgil wouldn't fit in this band.. IMO he sometimes overdoes it. His music is sometimes complex just for the sake of it.
Maybe Mike is the least interesting part for us since we have already heard 1000 hours of him playing Prog Metal?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #974 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
I ordered the 1 CD edition. I like media books, but I didn't see it necessary to buy instrumental versions of the songs. Had they done a disc of cover tunes, or something like that, I would have.

Looking forward to hearing it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #975 on: October 19, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »

What's a "mediabook"?  Is it worth it if I'm not interested in the instrumental tracks?

It's one of those packages that are thicker than a digipack, kind of like a mini-book hardcover version. The mediabook is only available for the 2CD edition.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #976 on: October 19, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Meh. I don't want to rain on the parade so I'll just leave at this, it's a massive disappointment. Redefining prog metal, my ass...

But, that's EXACTLY what it does! It's not your typical prog-metal, it's more of a hard rock melodic prog metal, if you will, and to me, THAT IS "re-defining" in its essence. If you're not a fan, that's fine. I understand how "disappointment" could be, since most of us (including me) expected more of a DT type sound (well for me that was until the 3 other players were announced). This album is NOTHING like DT. It's much more of a hard rock approach to progressive music. The first 2 songs released to us, certainly had me scratching my head, but in the context of the entire cd, they both work very well (especially "Coming Home"). :metal

Offline devieira73

« Reply #977 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »

I feel Virgil wouldn't fit in this band.. IMO he sometimes overdoes it. His music is sometimes complex just for the sake of it.
Maybe Mike is the least interesting part for us since we have already heard 1000 hours of him playing Prog Metal?

I guess it's really it. I think it's impossible after a while any musician sounds so inovative or original. Let's say, even Carter Beauford - a monster drummer that I LOVE and is incredible creative - is sounding samey to me nowadays and I'm totally OK with that, I'm still enjoy a lot his drumming (like MP)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #978 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
Sorry, double post

Offline Lethean

« Reply #979 on: October 19, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
Meh. I don't want to rain on the parade so I'll just leave at this, it's a massive disappointment. Redefining prog metal, my ass...

But, that's EXACTLY what it does! It's not your typical prog-metal, it's more of a hard rock melodic prog metal, if you will, and to me, THAT IS "re-defining" in its essence. If you're not a fan, that's fine. I understand how "disappointment" could be, since most of us (including me) expected more of a DT type sound (well for me that was until the 3 other players were announced). This album is NOTHING like DT. It's much more of a hard rock approach to progressive music. The first 2 songs released to us, certainly had me scratching my head, but in the context of the entire cd, they both work very well (especially "Coming Home"). :metal

Sorry to say, I don't think this redefines anything.  Nothing here is new. And you'd need that to redefine the genre. As someone else mentioned, much of this sounds like really weak Symphony X. And hard rock isn't exactly ground breaking either. Not to say it can't be good, or have great playing. But it's not fresh, it's not new.