Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468188 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #875 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
I can't tell you how much the public comments from Derek and Mike have soured me on this. Seriously.

That said, I still can't see my self not getting this. Trying to decide to buy the Amazon mp3 or the CD. It's a $4 difference.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #876 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
I've been able to hold out and not listen to really anything on the SOA record except for brief snippets of the two songs that debuted first. I'm pretty excited to hear the whole thing on Friday. Anyone else been holding out?

Nope, usually I can hold out when I want (I didn't hear a single note or snippet from The Astonishing) but I've heard the two songs and also the snippets in the commentaries... God of the Sun sounds promising!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #877 on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
I listened to the two singles, but nothing else. Probably won't until the album is released, then I'll check it out on Spotify. Unless it totally blows me away, I don't intend to purchase it based off of what I've heard (and frankly what I've seen - read social media stuff) thus far.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #878 on: October 17, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »
If they're doing SOA socks, might as well go full on with SOA rompers.  :biggrin:

Here are my current thoughts...

As far as MP doing a project with (insert musician name here), it may seem good in theory. I used to think that it was cool for members of bands to collaborate with members from other bands in a side project but now it happens a lot and I don't think we get great music from it. Maybe one or two worthwhile tracks on a release. Is it because my expectations are too high? Maybe. The only side project I think knocks it out of the park as far as great songs from start to finish is Liquid Tension Experiment - both releases.

Hopefully SOA will be MP's full time landing spot post DT. I never thought The Winery Dogs would be the full time band. Neal Morse is awesome, but that's not MP's big destination either. Flying Colors and Transatlantic, as awesome as they are, have too many moving parts (members being in other full time gigs).

I do see SOA changing members with MP and Derek being the core two for the long haul if the band lasts. Billy Sheehan can't keep grinding out tours at 64 years of age and older, so I think he will be the first to bow out after a while. I think Soto and Bumblefoot have potential to last longer.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #879 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
Now that more and more reviews are trinkling in, I am getting more excited. Even the "lesser" scores, around the 7 (thus far), give a description that suits my tastes. Seems like a very solid debut effort and I like both singles.

While Mike and especially Derek have been annoying, they didn't cross the line to the point where I won't buy their material. Just to the point where I won't go the extra mile to give them exposure if I end up really liking the album. It is still so mild compared to many pop artists or especially artists in film and theatre.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm starting to really look forward to hearing the album too... but mostly to see what Bumblefoot brings to the project. His contributions to the first two songs are pretty damned cool.  :hat
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #881 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
Let me sum up Bumblefoot's contributions to the album:

1. *riffs gurgling alongside Billy Bass*
2. *meedly weedly Bumbleshred*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #882 on: October 17, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Hopefully SOA will be MP's full time landing spot post DT. I never thought The Winery Dogs would be the full time band. Neal Morse is awesome, but that's not MP's big destination either. Flying Colors and Transatlantic, as awesome as they are, have too many moving parts (members being in other full time gigs).

I do see SOA changing members with MP and Derek being the core two for the long haul if the band lasts. Billy Sheehan can't keep grinding out tours at 64 years of age and older, so I think he will be the first to bow out after a while. I think Soto and Bumblefoot have potential to last longer.

Agreed but I really thought The Winery Dogs was going to be a full time band. I wasn't into them anyway so it wasn't a big deal to me when they called it quits or took a hiatus or whatever.

Why isn't The Neal Morse Band Portnoy's main band at this point?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: October 17, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »

Yes, but before he gets to the 'meedly weedly' (as you so derisively put it) there is some original style there, or so it seems to me. Personally, I'm pretty fond of shred guitar playing and see nothing wrong with enjoying it. Hopefully it will all be applied tastefully and appropriate to the song at hand. That's part of why I'm looking forward to hearing it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #884 on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »

Yes, but before he gets to the 'meedly weedly' (as you so derisively put it) there is some original style there, or so it seems to me. Personally, I'm pretty fond of shred guitar playing and see nothing wrong with enjoying it. Hopefully it will all be applied tastefully and appropriate to the song at hand. That's part of why I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Easy, my dude. I have plenty of shred guitar albums on my shelves. But when I think Bumblefoot, I think of what I call 'Bumbleshred' which is Bumblefoot's signature sound... plus shredding. You can hear it all over Chinese Democracy, and it's on this album, too. And when he's not doing that, his riffs blend in with the bass. Nothing really derisive about it...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #885 on: October 17, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #886 on: October 17, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
on a more positive note......:  https://magazine.100percentrock.com/interviews/201710/235153

Nice interview! they should just let JSS doing all the promotion  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #887 on: October 17, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
on a more positive note......:  https://magazine.100percentrock.com/interviews/201710/235153

Nice interview! they should just let JSS doing all the promotion  :lol

You know that is a great point.  I was totally unfamiliar with JSS but I like what I see in the interviews so far as far as his personality goes.  I could hang with him.  MP I'm kinda used to as I have been a fan since the 90's and Derek, well I'm just not warming to him at all.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #888 on: October 17, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
JSS even talk about the "rock'n"roll pedigree" of the band and other a bit controversial themes (at least for us ;D), but in a total classy way :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #889 on: October 17, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
Indeed, I'm starting to warming up to him. In the interviews and from comments of people here he looks very nice and humble, and his voice is very good. Out of curiosity I listened on YouTube to a solo song from him, I may have picked wrong but it felt like it could have been the next Sons of Apollo song. I'll have to look better in his discography I guess, I always knew at the very least that he existed but never really followed his bands.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #890 on: October 17, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
Mike and Derek should take note.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #891 on: October 17, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »
JSS even talk about the "rock'n"roll pedigree" of the band and other a bit controversial themes (at least for us ;D), but in a total classy way :tup

Yep, very tactful and classy and HUMBLE. In fact, his approach in this interview shaved off a layer of the hardened heart I had been forming towards the album due to the antics and comments of MP and DS

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #892 on: October 17, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »

no further comments

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #893 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
well maybe they should look to Dio as well, he always stayed a sweet human being. And he had rock/metal pedigree or whatever they call it nowadays..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #894 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #895 on: October 17, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
I think I might simply buy JSS' solo album just because. He seems like a cool guy and this way I can still support him.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #896 on: October 17, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
"I don't get it.  Since our album dropped, Jeff's and Bumblefoot's solo albums have spiked, Mr. Big is up, even Falling Into Infinity got a boost, but no one's buying Psychotic Symphony.  And it's the best damned album in the past 40 years!"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: October 17, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
"I don't get it.  Since our album dropped, Jeff's and Bumblefoot's solo albums have spiked, Mr. Big is up, even Falling Into Infinity got a boost, but no one's buying Psychotic Symphony.  And it's the best damned album in the past 40 years!"

Is this a fake qoute or where did you see it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #898 on: October 17, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
I went into the future a few weeks to see what's Mike's reaction will be to the album sales, and this was a quote I found on Blabbermouth.  I then came back to this time frame to post it.  At least I think it's this time frame.  With infinite possibilities, it's hard to tell sometimes.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #899 on: October 17, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
I went into the future a few weeks to see what's Mike's reaction will be to the album sales, and this was a quote I found on Blabbermouth.  I then came back to this time frame to post it.  At least I think it's this time frame.  With infinite possibilities, it's hard to tell sometimes.

Well be careful  next time, because for some reason my car is now red.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #900 on: October 17, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
Sorry about that.  On the other hand, my wife is much hotter now and I drive a Ferrari, so I call it a win.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #901 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Agreed but I really thought The Winery Dogs was going to be a full time band. I wasn't into them anyway so it wasn't a big deal to me when they called it quits or took a hiatus or whatever.

Why isn't The Neal Morse Band Portnoy's main band at this point?

Neal is the main songwriter, arranger, lyricist, sets vision, and so forth. It's Neal's band, not Mike's. MP simply provides his services in the drum department. I could be wrong, but I think MP longs for and thrives most in a leadership role instead of a support role.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #902 on: October 17, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
well maybe they should look to Dio as well, he always stayed a sweet human being. And he had rock/metal pedigree or whatever they call it nowadays..

I love Dio.  One of my all time favorites.  I still am in awe I got to meet him but I don't know if I'd use him as an example.  He had two sides.  There was the cool humble side he showed to his fans and some of his band and then there was the dark vindictive side.  Some of it may have been warranted.  I don't know enough details but if you read interviews with some of his past band members they elude to it.

Sorry to get off topic.  But yeah, Dio fucking rules.  Any band, any era...one of the all time greats.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #903 on: October 17, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »
Everybody has a good and bad side. It just depends on when you catch them. They could have a bad day and don't feel like talking to anyone. Just like you could catch them on their brightest day and they're joyous like a giddy schoolgirl.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: October 17, 2017, 04:02:21 PM »
I love Dio.  One of my all time favorites.  I still am in awe I got to meet him but I don't know if I'd use him as an example.  He had two sides.  There was the cool humble side he showed to his fans and some of his band and then there was the dark vindictive side.  Some of it may have been warranted.  I don't know enough details but if you read interviews with some of his past band members they elude to it.

There's always this classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #905 on: October 17, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »
Sorry about that.  On the other hand, my wife is much hotter now and I drive a Ferrari, so I call it a win.

Eye alsso kompleetly lostt te abbiidy 2 spel

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #906 on: October 17, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Everybody has a good and bad side. It just depends on when you catch them. They could have a bad day and don't feel like talking to anyone. Just like you could catch them on their brightest day and they're joyous like a giddy schoolgirl.

This was more of a long term thing between some of his bandmates.  Not just a bad day.   Not even talking about Vivian Campbell who I'm glad finally came to terms with his time in Dio.  He has been much more tactful talking about it.  But there were quite a few burnt bridges.

When it came to the fans though, Dio was always on his game.  Signing autographs, taking pictures, etc.  Near impossible to find him every being a jerk to a fan. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #907 on: October 17, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »
I highly doubt the MP style of writing appeals to MA.

Not the biggest Opeth fan, but MA seems like the kind of guy who sits down at a keyboard or in a DAW and slaves over things for hours and hours at a time, over several weeks if not months/years. The MP style of doing an album seems to be more like "get everyone in the studio for two weeks, write and record whatever comes out as quickly as possible, send the files off to production, and never think about it again until the album is 'finished' and it's time for tour". I highly doubt MA is into that kind of thing. 

There's a good reason why every post-DT MP album has either been 1.) formulaic rock or 2.) largely composed separately by Neal Morse. Only so much you can do when you rush everything.
Yeah, I think Mikael has said he's not a jamming kind of guy, and he seems pretty reluctant about doing side projects nowadays anyway. I also remember reading that MP asked Jim Matheos to play on the first Transatlantic album, but Jim wasn't into the idea of the "let's go into the studio and start jamming until we have 70 mins of music" method, so that style of writing is definitely not for everyone.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: October 17, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

There's always this classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo

Woooowww. Lol I’ve never heard Dio talk like that before.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #909 on: October 17, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »
I also remember reading that MP asked Jim Matheos to play on the first Transatlantic album, but Jim wasn't into the idea of the "let's go into the studio and start jamming until we have 70 mins of music" method, so that style of writing is definitely not for everyone.

And this where I struggled a bit with DT post SFAM/Six Degrees. I feel like with MP leaving, JP started demoing a bit more at home rather than writing and recording everything in the studio. I prefer the demoing way.