Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468364 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
Derek's Twitter: "There will NOT be a novel adaptation of "Psychotic Symphony", but we will have SOCKS OF APOLLO available soon!"

Criiiiiinge... why of all things are they marketing socks?

He's obviously trying to target the "JR has no feel, TA sucks balls, DT is crap without MP" crowd. In that market he may be very successful.
Many fans did love the direction DT was going in with MP, with the heavier metal-y songs. This album seems to be an answer to that. So if you think about it like that, the jabs at DT do make more sense even if I think they're unprofessional.

I agree with this, I totally understand the desire to cater to disgrunted DT fans, but there are better ways to do that. Also because it's not black and white, I absolutely love The Astonishing and don't miss MP in DT, but I don't see why I should not like also Psychotic Symphony. If I'll like it, I'll like it, just like people who don't like The Astonishing may not even like this new album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #841 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »
Haken sell all kinds of weird merch too, normally as a limited run so that people want to buy them before they run out. Seems to be quite a good money maker.

Yeah, at the show I went to they were selling Haken coffee...wtf!!  :D

Been getting the facebook ad for the Haken Joggers  :lol  Whatever works.

My girlfriend asked for my pants size in the S-M-L-XL measurements the other day, and wouldn't say why.  I think she will surprise me with a pair of those.. and I can't wait! Actually I love that kind of merch, it's way more creative than just a black shirt with an album cover on it.
On the other hand: those socks... nope thanks, but that is just because of my personal taste.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #842 on: October 16, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »
Derek's Twitter: "There will NOT be a novel adaptation of "Psychotic Symphony", but we will have SOCKS OF APOLLO available soon!"

He's obviously trying to target the "JR has no feel, TA sucks balls, DT is crap without MP" crowd. In that market he may be very successful.
Many fans did love the direction DT was going in with MP, with the heavier metal-y songs. This album seems to be an answer to that. So if you think about it like that, the jabs at DT do make more sense even if I think they're unprofessional.

I agree with this, I totally understand the desire to cater to disgrunted DT fans, but there are better ways to do that. Also because it's not black and white, I absolutely love The Astonishing and don't miss MP in DT, but I don't see why I should not like also Psychotic Symphony. If I'll like it, I'll like it, just like people who don't like The Astonishing may not even like this new album.

Like I've said all along, it doesn't make good sense the way they are approaching all this. They would have pulled in the sub-set of DT fans that want MP back without trashing DT and maybe in the process wouldn't have turned off all the other DT fans they have by acting this way.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #843 on: October 16, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »
Y'know, I think there's a point to be made about the peripherals that came with The Astonishing. Some were cool ideas, but just came too late (such as the novel), and others were simply poorly executed, like the model NOMAC or the web game. But I don't think there was anything wrong with the idea of The Astonishing's extras, and, at the very least, you can say that The Astonishing was interesting enough to support extras, whereas this Sons of Apollo album sounds like it'll barely be interesting enough to justify its own existence.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #844 on: October 16, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
Like I've said all along, it doesn't make good sense the way they are approaching all this. They would have pulled in the sub-set of DT fans that want MP back without trashing DT and maybe in the process wouldn't have turned off all the other DT fans they have by acting this way.

I'm not a 'want MP back in DT' guy but nonetheless I was pumped about this collaboration until Derek and MP began the trash talk. Started with the 'new kings of prog' proclamation and hasn't ended since.....I'm not saying I won't give it a listen, I will because I like MP's drumming....but, this will have to be the end all be all of albums and musical output for me to consistently listen to it. My hunch is that this statement will be common:

That rhythm part reminds of insert DT or other countless other Band's Name

and while I'm sure there will be some cool moments that won't warrant me 1.) spending $$ to go to a show and 2.) tempt me to add them to my regular rotation. I hope I'm wrong and it's just a monster of an album and music worthy of Royalty as they've insisted they are....but....per the reviews of people who have heard it my expectations could be classified as 'low'. Would love to be surprised though....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #845 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
Lost in Oblivion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPQjVUVq4s
That rhythm part reminds of DT's Let Me Breathe.
Just to clarify, I wrote this with the intention to do a comparision in a good way. It wasn't my intention to say that it's a blatant copy or something like that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #846 on: October 16, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »

Well duh, because Psychotic Symphony doesn't have a story.

But the socks, now I want NOMAC socks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #847 on: October 16, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
Just to clarify, I wrote this with the intention to do a comparision in a good way. It wasn't my intention to say that it's a blatant copy or something like that.

That was worth watching for Derek's fart at 1:58,  :lol
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline pcs90

« Reply #848 on: October 16, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »

hahaha! Sounds like he did it twice, once around 50 seconds in.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #849 on: October 16, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Nothing good has ever come out of MP saying something "sounds like Meshuggah"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #850 on: October 16, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
But, but it was like RUSHuggah ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: October 16, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »

HA!!!!  Nice catch!  :rollin
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: October 16, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »
Nothing good has ever come out of MP saying something "sounds like Meshuggah"

Well the Meshuggah riff that broke the PA during The Dance of Eternity at Progressive Nation certainly made it a very memorable night.... and shows why MP is highly regarded as an entertainer...

https://youtu.be/n3lkERYDH7M

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: October 16, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

:lol I noticed that too, but just kind of overlooked it thinking it wasnt what I thought it was

Y'know, I think there's a point to be made about the peripherals that came with The Astonishing. Some were cool ideas, but just came too late (such as the novel), and others were simply poorly executed, like the model NOMAC or the web game. But I don't think there was anything wrong with the idea of The Astonishing's extras, and, at the very least, you can say that The Astonishing was interesting enough to support extras, whereas this Sons of Apollo album sounds like it'll barely be interesting enough to justify its own existence.

I think part of the reasoning (besides the timeline like you said) the peripherals with TA seem too much is because the album wasn't overall well received.  Like if the album was a huge success, then I can see why the band would want to continue promoting it through novels, video games, and the like.  But since the fan base is pretty split about the album, it does seem a bit much to continue pushing it, especially when so much time has passed since the release.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #854 on: October 16, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »

:lol I noticed that too, but just kind of overlooked it thinking it wasnt what I thought it was

I think part of the reasoning (besides the timeline like you said) the peripherals with TA seem too much is because the album wasn't overall well received.  Like if the album was a huge success, then I can see why the band would want to continue promoting it through novels, video games, and the like.  But since the fan base is pretty split about the album, it does seem a bit much to continue pushing it, especially when so much time has passed since the release.

I'm actually glad JP decided to do the book. Plus, it takes time to find the right author, the author needs time to write the book, publishing and printing. So I can see that reasoning. I don't know about the game though.

But people were also complaining about no War and bloodshed in the album story, they're getting it in the book. The NOMACS killed Evangeline with their horrible sound they use to control the people outside of TGNE.

Also, its finally happened. People are excited about a band members fart.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #855 on: October 16, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Not sure why people think releasing a book is too much... for a concept album... that tells a story... with its own characters and world... they're not releasing a book based on Images & Words
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #856 on: October 16, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
well, it's kind of pretentious, right?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #857 on: October 16, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »
they're not releasing a book based on Images & Words

Synopsis: a guy has Hamlet-like conflicts with his family, heightened by the loss of his dear father. He tries to start a band with the difficulties that comes with it, and has spacey and trippy thoughts about being surrounded by the light under a glass moon, and eventually gets into a love affair in early May with a girl that gets a chapter for herself when she goes to sleep, and in the end they realize that love is the most important thing but they're scared to get AIDS.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #858 on: October 16, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
well, it's kind of pretentious, right?

I think that's a leap. John thought it would be good expand the story since there was a lot that wasn't unpacked in the lyrics, he found an author, it's being written. Doesn't necessarily make it pretentious.

Synopsis: a guy has Hamlet-like conflicts with his family, heightened by the loss of his dear father. He tries to start a band with the difficulties that comes with it, and has spacey and trippy thoughts about being surrounded by the light under a glass moon, and eventually gets into a love affair in early May with a girl that gets a chapter for herself when she goes to sleep, and in the end they realize that love is the most important thing but they're scared to get AIDS.

:lol  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #859 on: October 16, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »

:lol :lol 8/10 - no dancing turtles?!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #860 on: October 16, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
This is the only time I've had the urge to post in this thread and here it is....

I also want to get the Haken joggers :hat

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #861 on: October 17, 2017, 01:16:24 AM »
Mike Portnoy about Akerfeldt:

Mike Portnoy: “I love Mikael dearly. He and I are kindred spirits. First of all, I love the music he makes. You won’t get a bigger Opeth fan than me. I love everything they’ve done, from the most brutal music to the most prog epics. You put it together and you get ‘bru-tiful music.’ As a fan, it moves me so much.

But as a friend and as a person, we’re both music enthusiasts and historians and record collectors. We get together and we can just talk music and rock’n’roll trivia and history together – I love and respect and admire him so much.

He is the one person that I have yet to work with. We’ve toured together, and I’ve taken Opeth out when I was in Dream Theater, and he and I constantly flirt with the idea of doing something together. We’ve been talking about it for 10 or 15 years now. We’re just waiting for the right moment, for the right vehicle.

It’s the one collaboration that’s still eluded me and I’m still patiently waiting for. I would do it tomorrow – Mike knows that. I think he’s a bit more hesitant. I’m obviously very good juggling 87 bands. I think he’s a little more, ‘Can I do this? Is the time right? What will it be?’ I keep trying to nudge him: ‘Mike, dude, whatever it is it’ll be great – let’s just fucking get in a room and play together.’”

I can see him do a project with him and totally forgetting that Sons Of Apollo was going to be his new full time band. Also, Mikael is not the only guy he still wants to do a project with, I presume.
At the same time I thought: Why didn't he invite Mikael for SoA? He is a great singer, a killer second guitarist AND he has music composition and writing chops!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #862 on: October 17, 2017, 01:50:25 AM »
Because Åkerfeldt likely has no interest whatsoever in being in a prog-metal band.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #863 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:36 AM »
I'm not sure if a collaboration really would be that great. MA and MP are going in completely different musical directions. Could be interesting or could be leading nowhere.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: October 17, 2017, 05:01:03 AM »
Not that I think this collaboration will ever happen but I'm curious what a band with Steven Wilson, MP and MA would be.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #865 on: October 17, 2017, 05:04:25 AM »
Because Åkerfeldt likely has no interest whatsoever in being in a prog-metal band.

Yep. I don't think Akerfeldt and MP really have much crossover in terms of musical interests. Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson both have very broad interests but MP basically likes rock music, he doesn't really have broad tastes

Offline faizoff

« Reply #866 on: October 17, 2017, 06:19:07 AM »
MP does listen to different types of music, he was into more old school hip hop and rap, I think these days he's settled into the rock spectrum. MA's music interests these days don't align much with MP's by the looks of it but they could still do something, I think it would be great to see what that backdrop what music gets produced.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #867 on: October 17, 2017, 06:22:25 AM »
I'm not sure if a collaboration really would be that great. MA and MP are going in completely different musical directions. Could be interesting or could be leading nowhere.

I think when you have different directions with 2 people that want to work together something beautiful comes out of that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: October 17, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »
I think when you have different directions with 2 people that want to work together something beautiful comes out of that.

But is it two people? I've heard Portnoy mussings about collaborating with MA for years, yet I can't think of a single time Michael has mentioned it. It could be that Akerfeldt is just more private and doesn't share this kind of stuff, but I suspect the hero worship is a bit one sided.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #869 on: October 17, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
And that may be true.  Steven Wilson before In Absentia didn't play the "heavy" side of PT.  Akerfeldt didn't go without the growls until he worked with Wilson.  two different musical sides of the track yet both meshed very well together and it expanded their music.

It's not like Mike doesn't play multiple style of Prog.  I do agree through that I've never read Akerfeldt talk about working with MP.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #870 on: October 17, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »

But is it two people? I've heard Portnoy mussings about collaborating with MA for years, yet I can't think of a single time Michael has mentioned it. It could be that Akerfeldt is just more private and doesn't share this kind of stuff, but I suspect the hero worship is a bit one sided.

Yeah, I can see that. MA is probably friendly with MP but I think if those two ever tried to work with each other it would be a disaster. I don't think their personalities would mesh well.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #871 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »

I think something beautiful CAN come out of it, but it could also be that the result is a half-baked mesh-up.

And I get the feeling, as others have said, it's more MP that wants to collaborate, not necessarily MA. Sometimes I think that MP throws his wishes for musical collaboration out there without there being any substance to it. It's more like "I would like too/wouldn't it be cool" than "we've talked about it and it's only a matter of time".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Skeever

« Reply #872 on: October 17, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
I highly doubt the MP style of writing appeals to MA.

Not the biggest Opeth fan, but MA seems like the kind of guy who sits down at a keyboard or in a DAW and slaves over things for hours and hours at a time, over several weeks if not months/years. The MP style of doing an album seems to be more like "get everyone in the studio for two weeks, write and record whatever comes out as quickly as possible, send the files off to production, and never think about it again until the album is 'finished' and it's time for tour". I highly doubt MA is into that kind of thing. 

There's a good reason why every post-DT MP album has either been 1.) formulaic rock or 2.) largely composed separately by Neal Morse. Only so much you can do when you rush everything.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #873 on: October 17, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
I've been able to hold out and not listen to really anything on the SOA record except for brief snippets of the two songs that debuted first. I'm pretty excited to hear the whole thing on Friday. Anyone else been holding out?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #874 on: October 17, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »
Me.  I hate snippets.