Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467503 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #805 on: October 16, 2017, 02:42:51 AM »
If at all, this thread proves that we metalheads (or progheads) are not that much dissimilar from pop music fans, when it comes to discussing their heroes  :lol

Pop music has almost zero substance, so all that you have is gossip, celebrities flirts and the occasional hit song. With "our" music there's more to the plate and actual dedication to the music itself to discuss, but when such online drama occours, we're just drawn to it like other people are interested in seeing how Lady Gaga and Madonna are at odds, or how Jennifer Aniston comments on Angelina Jolie.

Let's admit we like musical gossip too  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #806 on: October 16, 2017, 05:18:53 AM »
Haken just finished a huge North American tour... Dream Theater is touring extensively their most famous/best album, and yet a lot of people here seem more compelled to discuss this band. And not necessarily the music aspects of it. Are you guys 100% sure this doesn't mean anything?

I've seen you say this before but fail to understand its reach. The Images, Words & Beyond 25th Anniversary Tour started back in January and it was widely and rountinely discussed in the following months. You can easily dig up a ton of threads about the tour if you care to do so. Considering the band is playing a fixed setlist, it's perfectably understandable that the tour itself is no longer a hot topic around these parts.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #807 on: October 16, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
Lost in Oblivion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPQjVUVq4s
That rhythm part reminds of DT's Let Me Breathe.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #808 on: October 16, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »
If at all, this thread proves that we metalheads (or progheads) are not that much dissimilar from pop music fans, when it comes to discussing their heroes  :lol

Pop music has almost zero substance, so all that you have is gossip, celebrities flirts and the occasional hit song. With "our" music there's more to the plate and actual dedication to the music itself to discuss, but when such online drama occours, we're just drawn to it like other people are interested in seeing how Lady Gaga and Madonna are at odds, or how Jennifer Aniston comments on Angelina Jolie.

Let's admit we like musical gossip too  :D
As a group of people, absolutely. I find it all a load of silly nonsense myself, but there's no denying that people are drawn to drama. The funny thing is that this particular drama is frankly so tame and unexciting. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #809 on: October 16, 2017, 06:15:24 AM »
So you know people that while they listen to Dream Theater, they never bothered with Guns n' Roses, Malmsteen, Journey and Trans Siberian Orchestra?

At the very worst I knew them all by name already, even though I was not following closely those bands except for TSO.

Got to be honest, I don't follow TSO at all, couldn't tell you one band member other than JSS and that's only because of this thread.  Plenty of people who follow Guns N' Roses would generally think of Slash or maybe Izzy Stradlin when talking about guitar players.  Even on Chinese Democracy there was much more publicity around Buckethead and Robin Finck than Ron Thal.  I pretty much guarantee that most GNR fans wouldn't know him if they fell over him.  Same with Soto and Journey, he did one tour with them and does not appear on any album.  Again most Journey fans would not be taking any great interest in JSS, Malmsteen's band is a revolving door and no one really cares about anyone else in the band apart from the man himself.  That's not to say that I don't follow JSS, I thought he was Yngwie's best ever singer and was great with Axel Rudi Pell as well.  He surprised me with his more smooth AOR vocals in Journey but I've always seen him as a metal singer.

To the guy throwing in the likes of Kiss, Alice Cooper etc.  I bet pretty much no one could name the current keyboard player for Kiss or Alice Cooper so why would anyone know that Derek Sherinian was.  DT made him a bit of a name and he has done his best to run with it but that is it.  Portnoy is big in the drumming world undoubtedly but by no means a household name to anyone who is not a fan of DT.  He was drummer for a bit in Twisted Sister but I couldn't name any of their previous drummers or indeed any band member apart from Dee Snider.  A7X was his most high profile gig but again, only one album and tour and that was really all about the Rev more than MP.  Sheehan has played with Mr Big (not so big outside of the US) and DLR but he's a bass player, no one goes to a show to see a bass player do they?

Had I personally heard of all of them? Yes but I'm the type who still buys cd's and reads the booklets from cover to cover!

After saying all that, I'd put them on a bill above Haken who are undoubtedly well thought of but not a big band at all.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #810 on: October 16, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
And to be fair, we're talking cruise to the edge and be prog my friend here. Not Graspop or Wacken or Download. Mike Portnoy in name alone is bigger than most everyone else on those types of festivals.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: October 16, 2017, 08:19:58 AM »
I was always under the impression that Mr. Big was much more successful outside of the US. I know we have that one big radio hit that we know them by here, but aren’t they huge in Japan or something?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #812 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »
Yeah, Mr. Big are still huge in Japan.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #813 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
Derek's Twitter: "There will NOT be a novel adaptation of "Psychotic Symphony", but we will have SOCKS OF APOLLO available soon!"

Criiiiiinge... why of all things are they marketing socks?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: October 16, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
Derek's Twitter: "There will NOT be a novel adaptation of "Psychotic Symphony", but we will have SOCKS OF APOLLO available soon!"

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #815 on: October 16, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »

Translation: Even if we wanted to we do not have the type of popularity to warrant a novelization of our album.  #clubband   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #816 on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »

That's some convincing sarcasm  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: October 16, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

That's some convincing sarcasm  :lol

It's a shop, I can tell by the pixels.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #818 on: October 16, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
Well, in all fairness, it's hard to argue that you have metal pedigree and swagger if you don't have socks, so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #819 on: October 16, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
Is that because ... they will rock our socks off?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #820 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
Where are those socks being sold????

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »
Wacky idea but I have to admit they look kinda pretty   :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »
There are stores in Toronto that sell socks by Slayer, Motorhead and Maiden.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #823 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »
Haken sell all kinds of weird merch too, normally as a limited run so that people want to buy them before they run out. Seems to be quite a good money maker.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #824 on: October 16, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
Haken sell all kinds of weird merch too, normally as a limited run so that people want to buy them before they run out. Seems to be quite a good money maker.

Yeah, at the show I went to they were selling Haken coffee...wtf!!  :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: October 16, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »

Yeah, at the show I went to they were selling Haken coffee...wtf!!  :D

Been getting the facebook ad for the Haken Joggers  :lol  Whatever works. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #826 on: October 16, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
I got it too, cramx

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #827 on: October 16, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
Just to use one very broad parameter: which band is getting more movement in their thread here in DTF: Haken, Leprous, POS or Sons of Apollo?

Which band's members started to talk crap about their previous band and offended a big part of their potential market?

I think you're vastly overstating the impact of Derek's jokes.     Even here, a place that actually cares about what he's saying, the reaction is 50-50 at best.   The "big[gest] part" of the audience doesn't give a crap either way and is going to buy a good album (if it's good) and ignore a shit album (if it's shit). 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #828 on: October 16, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »

Sons of Apollo...THE FLAMETHROWER!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #829 on: October 16, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »

Sons of Apollo...THE TOILET PAPER!

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #830 on: October 16, 2017, 10:06:12 AM »

DT Already did it, though.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #831 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »

I have the SOA album coming on Friday. And I am trying to look the other way with some of the cringe-worthy stuff. But what I don't understand is...why the continued veiled shots at Dream Theater? Why is it necessary?

At some point, you just move on. If Derek is releasing 20 years of pent up frustration...I mean, shouldn't he have gotten over that by now? Even if it is just his quirky sense of humor...I get it, I have friends that poke fun at stuff for a laugh. But it is getting harder and harder to give Derek and Mike the benefit of the doubt.

I have no doubt SOA will be right up my alley as a music fan. But if DS continues to be this way...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #832 on: October 16, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
They should rename themselves Mr. Big in Japan.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #833 on: October 16, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »
They should rename themselves Mr. Big in Japan.

Tonight?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #834 on: October 16, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »

He's obviously trying to target the "JR has no feel, TA sucks balls, DT is crap without MP" crowd. In that market he may be very successful.
Many fans did love the direction DT was going in with MP, with the heavier metal-y songs. This album seems to be an answer to that. So if you think about it like that, the jabs at DT do make more sense even if I think they're unprofessional.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #835 on: October 16, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
So Derek is still coming across as a sad little boy. Whatever works for him I guess!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #836 on: October 16, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
Where are those socks being sold????
It's not fake, they are real. You will get news soon.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline emtee

« Reply #837 on: October 16, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
Is there a reason why SoA would not be listed anywhere on Progarchives? I've been visiting that site for many
years and there are ample examples of bands that straddle the prog fence but still appear there with reviews
and info. Maybe MP requested postponing discussion until after the release?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: October 16, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
Is there a reason why SoA would not be listed anywhere on Progarchives? I've been visiting that site for many
years and there are ample examples of bands that straddle the prog fence but still appear there with reviews
and info. Maybe MP requested postponing discussion until after the release?

I believe they have a comprehensive process with regard to adding bands to ProgArchives.  Certain information must be submitted about the band and the music is reviewed to make sure it's progressive enough to be included on the website, if I recall correctly.  I could be wrong, but that's my understanding from reading up on their website in the past. 

I was able to find an old link detailing the requirements to add a band to ProgArchives: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11993
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:53:24 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline emtee

« Reply #839 on: October 16, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »
Interesting. Seeing as how many people there know about MP and DS and all things prog I would have thought they would
have been set up months ago but maybe it was deemed by the chair of that committee that they didn't meet the criteria.

Thanks Mebert. I'll keep my eyes open over there and see if anything changes. I was looking for reviews which seem
far and few between with only a couple weeks left until release.